Nerdery Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 1, 2019

3.4
Adrian Slobin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is very flexible" (in 11 reviews)

• "Great culture, great people, great benefits" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management sometimes announces stuff before it's ready to be announced" (in 9 reviews)

• "Senior management is woefully unqualified to be running a company that is trying to compete with established consulting firms" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great People, Great Work, and Right Direction!"

Current Employee - Client Growth
    Current Employee - Client Growth

I have been working at Nerdery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Nerdery is a great place to work and the Nerds are amazing humans. Every day I am stretched to learn something new with colleagues much smarter than me. Everyone is so collaborative and inclusive. I have yet to encounter a brilliant jerk. We work on diverse projects with a diverse customer base which keeps work fresh and exciting. The company culture is awesome and provides many of the amenities you would expect from a modern tech company. The work/life balance is legit! Great job to have if you value flexibility and time off.

Cons

Change is hard. We have had to make changes to our business to remain relevant. Those necessary changes affected some talented people and that is never fun.

Advice to Management

Keep heading in the direction we are going. Communicate the change and the Nerds will crush it!

"Fantastic people and direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Nerdery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is finally on the right track after lots of changes over the last several years. Yes, people have left, but the people that remain are awesome, and I'm amazed at the kind of talent that we've been able to attract to help us continue to evolve. I'm really excited about the direction and where we are headed!

Cons

There is still some cultural work to be done in getting people focused on the right things (less about us, more about our great work and great clients).

Advice to Management

Continue to keep us all focused on doing great work, and the rest will take care of itself.

Mar 8, 2019 – NA

This is Adrian Slobin. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and I agree that the people and level of talent here is one of the best part of the job, hands down. You’re right that we have... More

"Best Place I've Ever Worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Nerdery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The people. The Phoenix team is second to none. Our Phoenix Nerds are not only smart, but they CARE. We are truly a family - each of us on our own mission to help change the world one client at a time. Our Managing Director is an all-around awesome human, too. Such a pleasure to work with!

2. Transparency - In just about everything we do from a business perspective. Our CEO is VERY communicative and has been a wonderful agent of change over the past year. Some tough decisions have been made, but he has kept us in the loop as to why and what the plan is moving forward.

3. Work/life balance - Each and every one of us enjoys a great balance of work and life. We aren't pushed to work a crazy amount of hours and we are always encouraged to take time off. Many of our Nerds enjoy plenty of flexibility in work from home options as well.

4. We are GOING places!! SO much growth happening in Phoenix. it's an exciting time to be here, especially with the build out of our new office space in Park Central.

5. Solid benefits and lots of little perks! Things like fitness incentives, doc-on-call, LegalShield, etc. We will also be getting a Mother's Room in our brand new space.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nerdery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nerdery really cares for their employees. My job is relatively low on stress. We get a catered meal and free beer every Friday. The kitchen is stocked with free bananas, apples, bagels, cereal, coffee, ramen, oatmeal, chocolate, and LaCroix. Employees at Nerdery are very social and friendly, as well as into technology and their careers. Employees are often empowered to learn new things and cross-train on different technologies.

Cons

The overall vision and direction of the company is mysterious, and attempts to communicate vision to the employees often fall short.

"Women are treated terribly"

I worked at Nerdery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your co-workers will be some of the most amazing individuals you will meet.

Cons

Leadership has quickly become an old boys club. All women in leadership have left or been driven out due to the misogynistic nature of the Leadership team. Most leadership is implanted from Sapient, and don't care about what made Nerdery successful in the first place. Layoffs are done haphazardly and left many internal teams struggling and most of our clients hanging. Do not speak up in any meetings, or all staff meetings or you will be targeted. The CEO is cold and unapproachable, he is incredibly inauthentic and doesn't care to get to know any of the employees. He continues to build a bubble of sapient soldiers around him who will take orders and not provide any pushback Nerdery's "vision"

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. The people you need to stay are leaving, and the people you need to leave are staying.

Mar 8, 2019 – NA

This is Adrian Slobin. It is obviously disappointing to hear that this was your impression of your time at Nerdery. As an organization (and an industry) we definitely have work to do to increase... More

"Steer Clear!"

Former Employee - Client Partner in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Client Partner in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Nerdery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outside of management, about the only thing that comes to mind is that you're fellow coworkers are amazing people. I have a feeling this too will errode away as most are becoming wise to all of the sexism and racism exhibited throughout management/leadership.

Cons

This should not be as easy as it is for me to write, but unfortunately I've become one of the many exposed to the hardships of being a female in this company. Sexism and racism runs rampant within Nerdery and you don't have to look very far to see this. I feel many of the positive posts recently have been written by the all male leadership to assist in their recruiting efforts. The company numbers don't lie, but I can absolutely assure you that most of the recent posts are completely false. This once great company was north of 500 employees. Between firings, mass layoffs, and much of the great talent fleeing for better opportunities, this organization is down to the 300 mark. I could go on and on here, but I've made my point.

Advice to Management

Sell! Get this company back into the hands of capable leadership before it's too late.

Mar 8, 2019 – NA

This is Cassi Hansen, Director of Nerd Experience. We’re committed to providing a safe and welcoming workplace for all of our Nerds to be able to do their best work and it is very upsetting to hear... More

"Unrecognizable Company"

I have been working at Nerdery full-time

Pros

The actual nerds are great people.

Cons

Company size and culture is half of what it used to be. Talent and clients are leaving so fast that the company cannot stay ahead of it. The CEO and other leaders are failing. This was once a place of success and collaboration, but it is now a place of stress and fear.

Advice to Management

Resign for the sake of the owners and the good employees that are still left.

"Great place to make impact"

I have been working at Nerdery full-time

Pros

Coming from larger organizations it was a breath of fresh air to join Nerdery's flat org. I feel the impact I make quickly and I am empowered to make decisions on my own without jumping through bureaucratic hoops.

Cons

Communication is still lacking from team to team, but it's clearly being addressed.

"The best coworkers I've ever had!"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Nerdery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* The People – Without a doubt, the Nerdery is easily the most talented group of developers, designers and staff that it has ever been my pleasure to work with.

* A Culture of Continuous Learning – The Nerdery culture places a high value on learning and sharing knowledge. This makes it a wonderful place to mature and refine your skills in development and design.

* A Safe Space for Nerds – If you can name a branch of nerd-dom, it's represented at the Nerdery. Everyone is incredibly accepting of what other people are passionate about.

Cons

* Poor Diversity – The Nerdery's development staff is overwhelmingly white and male (myself included). I feel like women and minorities may not face overt hostility, but they are absolutely subjected to a ton of unconscious bias hassles. It's a problem without a simple solution, given the overall demographics of tech in general and Minnesota in particular, so I'm not calling the Nerdery out as being unusually bad, but I would like to see us be a bigger part of the solution.

* Substandard Base Salary – The culture is great, particularly if you're a young professional trying to master your craft, but for older developers who aren't as jazzed about unlimited free Red Bull, the compensation package lags behind the competition in the Twin Cities. This tends to create a brain drain at the upper skill levels and has lead to jokes about the Nerdery being the farm team for local tech companies.

Advice to Management

You need to do a better job about communicating to developers at the highest level (PSE) how they can continue to grow and further their careers. Particularly if they are in a discipline which has not been replacing attrition 1:1. A shrinking department leads to worries about the company's commitment to my place within it.

"Quality Assurance Engineer"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Nerdery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, great people, great benefits!

Cons

The pay is less competitive.