Nerdery Reviews

57 Comments

Tech

211.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Nerdery~249800
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Team, Culture, & Opportunities

Jan 18, 2022 - Client Engagement Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nerdery has gone through some significant changes over the last couple of years and has righted the ship. We have a renewed focus, we work with incredible customers, there is strong emphasis on culture, we just implemented unlimited PTO, and the opportunities are endless.

Cons

Growing pains of renewing our focus, but the leadership team has hired some fantastic people.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great Decade of Learning

May 17, 2022 - Systems Administrator in Edina, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

PTO. Relaxed Atmosphere. Great co-workers. Solid Management. Non-Tech-Giant culture. New office with great Wifi. Beer.

Cons

Inflation and COVID. Other than that I can't think of any.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good experience, growing team

May 8, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really enjoyed all the opportunities I had to grow in my career Great benefits Plenty of mentors

Cons

Shifting leadership Lots of employees coming and going which made stability hard to come by

4. 2.0
    Former Employee

Great team but poor leadership

Apr 13, 2022 - Former Employee - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

+Wonderful people who care about each other and doing a good job +Some of the client work Nerdery does is very cool +Casual dress code and dogs in the office (if you work in one of the offices) +Very helpful Tech Support team +If you like free company-branded stuff, you'll get a lot of shirts, hoodies, glasses, gifts +Good work/life balance +Good healthcare/dental benefits +It’s a US based company so it's rare to have super early or late-night calls +Small enough company to know most people

Cons

Senior leadership is the biggest challenge that Nerdery faces. At the heart of the problem is the CEO (cofounder who assumed role a while back) and his lack of experience. Inefficiencies, group decision making, lack of accountability across all levels, limited delegation of authority beyond the leadership team, etc. So many unforced errors and rookie mistakes along with painfully short-term thinking are regular occurrences. Some other items to flag for someone considering working for Nerdery: +Even though turnover is high for a lot of tech firms (esp. during the “Great Resignation”), the revolving door of great people at Nerdery may make your head spin. +If diversity/inclusion is important to you, Nerdery may not be a good fit for you. The Founder/CEO has openly declared in all-company meetings that efforts to support equity/diversity slow things down (ex: recruiting) and are not a priority for the company. +Nerdery is run like an agency - - utilization targets and billable hour requirements for those in client delivery roles. If this isn't something you want to be held accountable for meeting, Nerdery may not be a good fit for you.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0

Fine organization, low pay

Apr 7, 2022 - Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management would typically get out of the way unless you were on a high visibility project. Had smart people working there that had mostly the same success metrics to share and drive towards.

Cons

Some leaders that "outkicked their coverage". Didn't have the skills to be able to fill their roles. Pay was sub-industry standard.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Be warned - I didn’t listen to the reviews and I should have

Mar 31, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nerdery does a lot of fun events and activities which help with culture. In my time there were lots of different activities like their annual event pentathnerd which is like an Olympics for nerds with fun challenges. There was always lots of swag sent out. We played games and there was always a culture of sending shout outs for good work.

Cons

Where to begin? Escalation paths do not exist. When escalating issues to leadership it becomes a blame game and pointing fingers instead of coming up with a solution to the problem or coaching. There is absolutely no accountability at the leadership level. That also extends to making business decisions. There are several broken processes and structural changes that need to happen but leadership is just sitting on them and not taking action which is frustrating to both old and new employees. Additionally a lot of the managers were promoted to manager not because of their leadership skills but just because they were the best at their job title. This is frustrating because they do not know how to lead or coach and if you don’t do it their way then you aren’t good enough even if you achieve the same results a different way. Your review will also just be based on their opinion of you and not based off of the 360 evaluation. Also they talk about diversity. There is no diversity at leadership or management level. When leadership was asked to be more thoughtful about DEI and become more active in the DEI channel they were silent or their response is that they will hire more diversity. For a company this size they do not even have any DEI training. Lastly the teams are never setup for success. Projects are sold with incorrectly sized teams, often start before full requirements or ideas are fleshed out, then you have to surprise the client with asking for more money or telling them you can’t do things that were promised. This could easily be fixed by changing the process and making sure to add discovery in as apart of consulting but Nerdery just keeps falling into the same bad routine. Then it ends up that the team works unpaid overtime to get to the finish line. You must work 40 billable hours and meetings are not included in that for developers so you are often working 45-50 or so hours. They talk about work life balance but it’s not there. Not to mention that I can almost guarantee that their financials are reported incorrectly because I found an issue with the softwares calculations and when pointed out they had to open an audit for the entire 2021 year. As a warning, Nerdery seems like they are growing but in my time there attrition because of these issues and losing business was around 30%. When I started there was about 250 and when I left there was maybe 200 or less.

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Some good - some not as good

Mar 14, 2022 - Business Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Generally speaking great people. Treat each other with respect. Work with some great clients and build some great things

Cons

Bloated project teams and undefined roles became frustrating. Nerdery has a desire to be full strategic and technology partners with clients. Unfortunately, they haven't figured out how to really do that. The result is too many people working with a client with unclear roles and outcomes. Development teams are pieced together and not set up for success.

5 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0

Work in progress

Mar 22, 2022 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great potential for someone willing to hang on for awhile

Cons

May take awhile to build a book of business

Be the first to find this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Wonderful People with a few Business Growing Pains

Jan 6, 2022 - Senior Technology Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Some of the smartest people I've worked with so far in my career - Custom fit consumer-obsessed approach to problem solving - Individuals and practices with really great POV on modern technologies, architectural approaches, accessibility, product management, etc. I learn new things every day - Full autonomy in my own growth if I want it - I'm able to point my sails wherever it interests me once I have proven my value, and the leadership team supports me - Some really awesome clients and projects across the board of digital products - Leadership (this point in time now) has finally reached a point where they have a direction, a vision, a purpose, and a strategy - and I am on board for the future of where Nerdery is going.

Cons

- Custom fit approach often keeps some people from understanding the value of standards and reusable processes and assets - Leadership is trying hard to fit a culture to the rapidly changing workforce and sometimes it feels like a battle between looking back and looking forward - Some churn in leadership and org structure over the last couple years has caused some unrest

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Fired for trumped up reason

Nov 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun place to work, or anyway it was back when I started. Lots of varied projects. You'll learn a lot.

Cons

Haphazard management policies about retention, pay, etc. Lots of unpaid overtime during crunch on projects that are mismanaged. Surly support staff and devops. Low pay.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 202 Reviews

Nerdery Reviews FAQs

Nerdery has an overall rating of 3.2 out of 5, based on over 203 reviews left anonymously by employees. 53% of employees would recommend working at Nerdery to a friend and 36% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Nerdery employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Nerdery. This rating has improved by 11% over the last 12 months.

53% of Nerdery employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Nerdery 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.4 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Nerdery to be benefits, culture, coworkers and the cons to be career development, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Nerdery Job Seekers