Nerds on Call Reviews | Glassdoor

Andrea Eldridge

1. "Nothing Bad Here"

Current Employee - Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Nerds on Call full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is great and the people are great. Enjoy the fun and laughter and making sure that work always gets done first.. Great management and Learning new things daily.

Cons

Don't Have any yet.. Other then Maybe upgrade computers.. but that still ain't a problem.. Possible regular work clothes since we don't see customers?? possible..

Advice to Management

Resting Is Okay

"Getting Laid Off was the best thing that ever happened to me Thanks Nerds"

Former Employee - Tech Agent in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Agent in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Nerds on Call full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some fun people to work with, Was kind of mindless copy and paste from google and running free software in a remote session.

Cons

This company seemed cool pay was basically min wage, but then it turned into a joke they take advantage of people that know nothing about computers and charge them a crazy price to run some free spy ware programs. Customer pay over 200$ for the deluxe and the only difference between that and the basic package is getting the add block plus plugin installed on your browser, its outrageous.The company has a high turnover rate but they "lay people off" a couple months into their employment because they are "slow" but they have a new batch to take their play in 2 weeks. One day my manager tells me how good of a job I am doing and he is making me a lead 2 days later the whole department got laid off, 2 weeks later they hired a bunch of new people. I basiclly begged for my job and was turned down but now I am making triple what I was there for a fortune 500 company. Thank You Nerds for not keeping me I would still be working for Slave Wages in your sweat shop.

Advice to Management

Stop firing everyone you hire and just pay your employees what technical support agents get paid in the IT field, You guys are such a scammy business taking advantage of anyone stupid enough to use your service.

"Nerds on Call...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmichael, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmichael, CA

I worked at Nerds on Call full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a 'sales' job if you are a CSR, and are paid bonuses. If you do well at selling, the bonuses can bump wage $2ish per hour. It is considered a starting area, they will hire you with no experience and will get your foot in the door other places easily.

Cons

The wage is better than minimum wage. It's not fantastic. There are a lot of times where the resolution to customer service issues are easy, but then management won’t let you do them. You're not supposed to be happy and joke with customers, and have them have an enjoyable experience. It is supposed to be like a drone. Which sucks when customers make jokes and want to be pleasant. Management could also do a lot to improve the working environment, as well as customer service. The turnover rate is high. 1 year is a long time to work there. They consider employees to be disposable.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees. Take better care of your customers.

"Nerds on call or Nerds get money"

Former Employee - Sales Support Nerd in Carmichael, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Support Nerd in Carmichael, CA

Pros

A way to gain experience in the Tech field without a degree. Pay starts above minimum wage

Cons

Many, When the company first started the call center it was a fun an energetic place that actually felt like we were there to help people with their computers. Later, at the behest of a consultant who "Trained" people to remain "in check" in order to achieve the "best possible outcome" it became Nerds get money. The trick is to be as robotic as possible so people will go with your way on their own choosing and go with your recommendation.

This is great but the "recommendation" is ALWAYS An advanced tune up for $229 then charge you anything else that sounds probable for another $129. In short something you could spend 20 or 30 minutes running the programs below anyone can fix what they can. That's $11.93 per minute where the person working gets $10 for the hour

The company violates the EULA of several Software programs in that free versions of software are used to make a profit. These programs include:

Malwarebytes (free program to use for home use)
    cCleaner (free program to use for home use)
    Spybot search and Destroy (free program to use for home use)
     and others:

They have been reported to these companies and to Microsoft for software Piracy as well.

So if you choose to work there, check your soul at the door and find another job after 6 months.

Advice to Management

Drop the "steps" or let the steps be a guideline to prevent someone from pushing the customer into a sale but let the nerd be themselves. It puts off customer's to be so cold. also stop the EULA violations or work with the companies to have a license agreement

5. "Good place to gain experience."

Current Employee - Computer Technician in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Technician in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Lots of challenging work. Different tech problems everyday. The diversity of the work was great.

Cons

They didn't care about my certifications. I wanted to do more business related work like servers and large networks.

Advice to Management

Consider expanding into the business area.

"Money hungry company that cares absolutely nothing for its employees."

Former Employee - Senior Field Tech in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Field Tech in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Nerds on Call full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can afford to live off of cup noodles and want experience that bad. Go for it.

Cons

Be prepared to lose your soul ripping people off. Reimbursement is a joke. Everything is focused on the call center, which is populated by a bunch of drones with no souls.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to treat your employees better.

7. "Ok place for any techs to start"

Former Employee - Mobile Technician in Clovis, CA
    Former Employee - Mobile Technician in Clovis, CA

I worked at Nerds on Call full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work solo, no managers breathing down your back, no cold calling, all referrals dispatched to you, sales commission, company events.

Cons

Long work hours, residential customers, no opportunities for advancement, forced to sell sell sell!

Advice to Management

Need to set standard, different protocols in selling to customers.

8. "Getting There"

Pros

Great place to pick up basic computer repair skills and customer service experience.
    Good management for stores/field techs

Cons

Doesn't pay well.
    Lots of policy/service changes. Be ready to adapt.

9. "Beyond terrible."

I worked at Nerds on Call full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I only had to sit there 9 hours a day. (Most of the time)

Cons

Lets start a list:
    -Terrible Management.
    -Horrible pricing structure (This changes almost weekly)
    -The CEO is a closet dope head that trys to train his staff as if they were dogs. Tossing meaningless treats to starving employees.
    -Pay he 1/3 of the normal going rate for IT.
    -You will always hear "This is not a sales job" Followed by somebody walking down the rows asking people "why is there so little money? What money making task are you working on? No Money, no hours, people will be sent home." Or the best one, "Money,money , money!!!" While clapping loudly and yelling. Then asking why you are off task.
    -They "lay off" people that get wise to their shady ways.
    -If a manager has a person issue with you, expect to be let go due to "lack of hours."
    -This place will attempt to suck out your soul and fill it with the heart of a robot.

Take my advice and the others posting on here (Dont mind the ones with high ratings. The CEO asked current new hires to post those. All of the postings you see with high reviews have been "laid off" or left.)

If you do decide to work here, dont stop looking for a real company while you are stuck in this hell hole. Get out fast.

Advice to Management

Take a long walk off a short pier.

10. "Call center"

I have been working at Nerds on Call full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with fun people. Managers and employees go through conflict resolution training that assists with stress and communication. A great place to learn life skills and establish trusting relationships with co-workers and management. I made so many wonderful friends here and learn new things every day. Managers are very supportive and nurturing.

Cons

Open 364 Days a year.