Nest Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Marwan Fawaz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Yet, the work-life balance is great (in 7 reviews)

• Very good work environment love working with the tech company (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Complete lack of work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• If you're new, prepare to be a self learner because there is no one there to train you (in 6 reviews)

1. "High impact per engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nest is the keystone of Alphabet's strategy of enabling a smart, connected and comfortable home. This has manifested in Nest going beyond its iconic thermostats, launching similarly iconic products in more categories, such as home security and safety, with many more on the way. The team is still relatively small for the scope. As a result, an individual can make a much higher impact compared to similarly sized peers with several challenging opportunities to work on . Yet, the work-life balance is great!

The quality of engineers is great, on par with Google, evident in a constant bidirectional flow of people between Nest and Google.

There are frequent team outings and fun events.

There was a period of upper management turmoil in 2016. That is far in the rear view mirror now and the current leadership has streamlined the organization. Each team has a clear charter, most have experienced leaders, and work well together.

Cons

The original Nest software infrastructure platform was complicated and had a lot of technical debt. This is rapidly changing with the investing in a state of the art platform showing great results.

2. "Awful"

Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Nest full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks of being an Alphabet company

Cons

Bad culture, bad management, worst of Alphabet companies

"Bad Engineering Management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Nest full-time

Pros

• Friendly colleagues with great attitudes
    • Google perks
    • Best cafe; even better than Google's
    • Decent impactful projects
    • Good W/L balance

Cons

Engineering management is incompetent. I had little confidence in my manager's technical ability and the advice and suggestions he made were often horrible.

Instead of leading the team, he often sought to stroke his own ego with bad technical advice which left some on the team chasing red herrings.

This wouldn't be a huge deal if he was a good people-person and actually cared about my career growth, but he didn't. Our 1:1's mostly involved him asking about my current progress on projects instead of helping foster career growth.

Instead of being the tie breaker for team resolutions he often remained neutral, or even worse presented inferior alternatives than the options at hand.

Advice to Management

I left for Google because I had little respect for my manager and his competency. I suggest investing in better training for middle management. Teach them to give their subordinates more autonomy and to stay out of their way. Guide them, but don't interfere with their work unless absolutely necessary.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Tier I Tech Support
    Current Employee - Tier I Tech Support

I have been working at Nest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Environment where your voice is heard

Cons

Some agents only take calls for the cameras and smoke detectors and get paid the same as agents who take calls for all the products and in turn take more phone calls/do more work.

"Heaven for coasters, hell for aspiring engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Google perks. Good work life balance for those who want to coast.
    And you can transfer to Google!

Cons

Nest has passed the phase with great ideas and great execution. One can simply check out the Amazon reviews of their recent camera product. And why?

Most of the senior and above engineers just want to coast and do as little as possible, since the upward channel depends immensely on your report chain. This is particularly true since Nest uses Google promo committee system, which works well for big companies like Google but not Nest. Those key decision makers either know( and like) your work very well or not at all because Nest is small. For a junior engineer, your fate is written when you join a certain team. I am seeing many talented and driven engineers deliver great work but end up leaving. And the people Nest hire to fill those roles are of lower and lower calibre.

Nest keeps losing people to Google despite all "retention efforts". Aren't you surprised when the people who champion these retention efforts end up going to Google in a month?

Nest used to do company wide survey, now they are scared to do and see the results.

Advice to Management

Transfer to Google!

"Look for other Alphabet/Google opportunities."

I worked at Nest full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Google Benefits , food, perks, and transportation .

Cons

Very toxic culture. Although , past few months things seemed to be improving culturally by trying to be more transparent. "Bad Mid Level Management"

"Tech support"

Current Employee - Tech Support Representative
    Current Employee - Tech Support Representative

I have been working at Nest full-time

Pros

None. Nada. Finito. Nothing. No.

Cons

Bad management. No pay raises. Not even cost of living increase. Position pays less than any other entry level tech support. Only way to make more is be promoted which those positions are even more underpaid work:pay. High turnover. Dead end.

Advice to Management

Quit faking the whole family mentality, and actually pay your employees a decent wage. Stop with the spiffs and games and pay your employees money. Or continue to let your tech reps handle billing/sales/retention all while paying less and adding more workload. The whole ship will come crashing down.

"Benefits of Google, but ability to have the impact of a much smaller company!"

Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Impact, given the size any team member can have tremendous impact. We move fast and I love the challenges that each new day brings. Big enough where your actions have material impact but small enough to still be nimble. Love my experience here and I have had experience at companies from 10 to 10,000. Very collaborative environment and people who genuinely want to help

Cons

We did have some struggles post acquisition trying to find out place within Google, but Alphabet had helped make that very clear. There has been pressure on the team to launch new products which I fully get and hopefully Nest can re earn the respect from the press as we introduce new products

Advice to Management

Don't let the old PR cycles get you down, keep executing and believing in your people and the rest will take care of itself. #EverydayIsEarthDay

"Exciting place to be, with lots of talented people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Extremely talented, hardworking people who are passionate about the connected home space
    - All the "perks" of Google, but a very different culture than Google. And I see that as a good thing. Teams work very hard, but it's worth it to be able to accomplish amazing things in a very short period of time.
    - It's fun being at a company that is shaping the future of how people will live in their homes with great technology, and a product & brand that people love.
    - New CEO (Marwan) really cares about employees, and enables leaders to work with more ownership than previous leadership
    - Opportunities to collaborate with teams across Google.

Cons

- Still some operational growing pains as we scale from a startup to a large company in a very short period of time.

Advice to Management

It's disheartening reading some of the negative/past comments. I never felt that Nest was anywhere near a toxic place to work, even under the previous CEO Tony. Perhaps the engineering organization had a different experience that I have in the sales/marketing org. Either way, I can say the company has definitely changed a lot in just the past 6-9 months. Employees are empowered to make changes to help the business grow from a startup to a high-functioning large organization.

"Amazing Place to work for people who are passionate about smart home technology"

Current Employee - Marketing in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Nest full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, talented and dedicated people
    Amazing products
    Autonomous work environment: You're given the freedom to get your work done without micromanagement
    Real enthusiasm for making a difference in the world by providing energy efficiency and safety and security to our customers.

Cons

The hours are long and the work is intense.

Advice to Management

Keep on hiring great people and creating awesome products!