Nestlé Purina PetCare Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 26, 2017

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance is exception and not just a term that is thrown around (in 197 reviews)

• You can bring your pets to work (in 94 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"No place like Purina!"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I absolutely love coming to work for NPPC everyday. The culture is second to none and over the years my work team has become like family. My immediate management and department leadership are both supportive and engaged in development and employee satisfaction, and it has led to opportunities for project work and growth. At this point, I can't imagine working somewhere else.

There are lots of perks for associates - fitness center, daycare, flex time and remote work capabilities, tons of events and volunteer opportunities, medical department, company store and discount programs, corporate library, mentor programs, a huge catalog of personal and professional development resources, and of course - pets at work! We can take advantage of tuition reimbursement, pet adoption reimbursement, discounts on Nestle and Purina products, a new 6 month maternity leave, adoption reimbursement, and so much more.

The company puts a lot of emphasis on innovation and continuous improvement, not only in our products and sales, but also in programming and employee satisfaction. The company is dedicated to being a good corporate citizen, and does a ton of work giving back to the community. This is a company you can be really proud to work for, that stands behind its products and values, and empowers its employees to do great work. It's not at all surprising that we have so many people who have dedicated 20, 30, 40, and more years of their lives here.

Cons

This is a big company that can be a little flat, and it has its share of corporate bureaucracy. Upward mobility can take time and patience. It's really easy to get siloed in our individual work areas/projects, so the ability to work cross-functionally is a huge area of opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for more transparency, more diversity (especially in management teams), and more innovation. Be open to non-traditional work structures!

Dec 1, 2016 – Human Resources

WOW - We're so flattered! Thank you for such a raving review. But, we're even more thankful to hear how happy you are. Perhaps we're biased, but we agree that there's no place like ours. And we hope ... More

2. "Great Company and Program"

Current Employee - Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Trainee

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tremendous Company Culture
    High Value on Safety
    Great Management Development Program

Cons

The many Purina plants result in possibly transferring to some non-ideal locations.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

3. "Great place for a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very stable company with strong options for career growth. Lots of opportunities if willing to relocate. Provides the chance to visit and live in places I never expected to see. Solid company values that make me proud to be a part of the organizarion. Great products that are backed up by scientific research and match company values. Great people throughout organization who really care about what they do.

Cons

The size of the company can lead to lots of paperwork and red tape. Still struggling to say no to good ideas to allow focus on great ideas leading to large workloads or fragmented efforts.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to be more practical with implementation to reduce extra effort. Embrace new technology to look for ways to reduce work loads (especially paperwork) and strongly encourage decision making to happen at lower levels to increase flexibility.

5. "Outstanding Place to Build a Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The environment is very supportive of work life flexibility. As a mother, it gives me the opportunity to grow an outstanding career while also fulfilling my vision of the kind of mother want to be to my children.

Cons

Being a global company can come with its fair share of change. I suppose you could call this a con but I like to see it as a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your associate base and the challenging us a team to be and do our best. This is one of the reasons I stay here.

Feb 22, 2017 – Human Resources

More than 10 years at Purina is a great accomplishment - thank you for everything you've done for the company over the years. It makes us even happier that you feel you have the support and ... More

6. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great organization that cares about its people. Trying to establish a best in class culture and environment. Very progressive. Great pay and benefits. A strong focus on hiring great talent and developing that talent.

Cons

Needs to be more aggressive at getting rid of poor performers. We are too nice at times regarding holding people accountable.

Advice to Management

Your have the right focus on people. Educate Vevey on the U.S. market. Applaud leaders who make tough decisions.

Feb 22, 2017 – Human Resources

Great feedback; thank you for sharing! We appreciate such wonderful words. More importantly, thank you for your service to our company!

"The culture HQ is why I will never leave."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work-Life Balance is exception and not just a term that is thrown around. It is truly a way of life. Also, I am consistently challenged and honestly love the people I work with. They have become like family.

Cons

Be more open to potential 4 day work weeks or 1 day a week allowing folks to work from home. Its awesome that we can work from home when absolutely needed, but allowing it on a regular schedule would really go a long way with employees.

Advice to Management

Try to keep an open mind of the virtual workplace- trusted employees can do their work from anywhere.

Feb 17, 2017 – Human Resources

Positive company culture is critical - we're thrilled to hear you feel so strongly about it. A four-day work week in the office and one day from home, among other arrangement options, are becoming ... More

8. "Not Perfect but very close"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time

Pros

The company cares about it's people. They demonstrate this by hiring great people, offering numerous development opportunities, providing work life flexibility, and creating a safe and fun work environment. Pay and benefits are very competitive and Senior Leaders listen to their employees.

Cons

Sometimes we let poor or disgruntled employees hang on too long.

Advice to Management

Continue your efforts toward making this a great work environment and due more to eliminate poor attitudes and performers.

Feb 22, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you very much for your comments. We continue to reiterate that our people are our most competitive advantage, so we appreciate knowing that you see how much we care. Thank you for being part of ... More

9. "Great company with tremendous opportunity!"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunity, work/life balance is amazing, culture is strong and very inclusive

Cons

Would love the ability to consistently work from home at least one day a week

Advice to Management

Continue to challenge us and move towards market trends!

Feb 17, 2017 – Human Resources

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write a Glassdoor review. This is certainly not the first time we've heard and thought about more opportunities for work flexibility, especially with the pace ... More

10. "Technical Services"

Current Employee - Technical Services in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the people that I interact with both within TAG and other departments. My job allows for some flexibility which is nice.

Cons

The longer I work here, I am starting to figure out that both job offers and promotions are based on what leadership determines your future potential to be vs. actual merits that you have achieved on the job. Recent hires and reorganization have been catastrophic to the morale of my department. Half of us are looking for new jobs. Hopefully things change for the employees that remain or the new ones that come on board...

Advice to Management

You cannot maintain the inconsistencies of promotion. It is demoralizing for an employee with significant education and outstanding performance evaluations to continually get passed up for promotions. It is even further demoralizing to have new hires with no experience and less education hired at several levels above current employees based on the fact that they know their hiring manager and used to be good buddies. It is then a further conflict of interest for said hire to report to their friend.

11. "Energetic, goal driven work place"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment overall, always looking to advance and open to new ideas, "can do" mentality, failures are looked at as good when the intentions are improving the conditions and lessons are learned from the failure.

Cons

Increased levels of stress, job duty imbalance, lack of meaningful recognition

Advice to Management

Get involved with the floor, and teach the big picture while reiterating the "why"

Feb 17, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your words. We, too, feel the energy and "can do" attitude here every day, and it's something very special. Business is growing and the marketplace is moving quicker than ever, although ... More