Nestlé Purina PetCare Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 22, 2017

US - All Cities

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance is exception and not just a term that is thrown around (in 197 reviews)

• You can bring your pets to work (in 94 reviews)

1. "Technical Services"

Current Employee - Technical Services in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the people that I interact with both within TAG and other departments. My job allows for some flexibility which is nice.

Cons

The longer I work here, I am starting to figure out that both job offers and promotions are based on what leadership determines your future potential to be vs. actual merits that you have achieved on the job. Recent hires and reorganization have been catastrophic to the morale of my department. Half of us are looking for new jobs. Hopefully things change for the employees that remain or the new ones that come on board...

Advice to Management

You cannot maintain the inconsistencies of promotion. It is demoralizing for an employee with significant education and outstanding performance evaluations to continually get passed up for promotions. It is even further demoralizing to have new hires with no experience and less education hired at several levels above current employees based on the fact that they know their hiring manager and used to be good buddies. It is then a further conflict of interest for said hire to report to their friend.

2. "Love Coming to work, but losing Culture"

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, awesome work atmosphere, great work life balance, exceptional training, and ability to have pets at work!

Cons

Less upward mobility options, losing the Purina culture, and sales salaries aren't competitive.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people that currently work for the organization.
    Become more proactive instead of reactive.
    Break down barriers to become faster to market.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Finance in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Finance in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and salary rates, ability to accomodate your schedule if necesary, TPM implementation

Cons

In some cases you will need to be willing to move to other states in order to progress in your career

Feb 17, 2017 – Human Resources

Feedback noted on all accounts. Thank you very much for your feedback!

5. "Proud to have worked here for over 20 years"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time

Pros

- People are very passionate about what we do. We genuinely care about pets and pet owners, and that is reflected in our products. I proudly use our products with my own dog.
    - Work/life balance is a plus, and they care about me as a person. My spouse has been dealing with a serious illness, and at the worst of times, my bosses were wonderful about making sure that family came first.
    - Opportunities to grow: I've been encouraged to take several cross-functional assignments over my 20+ years here, and I've always been learning. I'm intellectually curious, and Purina has offered me opportunities to scratch that itch.
    - We do things the "right" way. The ethical standards are very, very high. You don't see bad things about Purina in the headlines, and when you do (Beneful lawsuit, e.g.), it's always bogus. I've never been ashamed by anything the company has done. I wish we were more aggressive when we are unfairly attacked.

Cons

- Expectations to hit numbers in a low growth environment is creating significant stress. The people at levels above me (I'm a Director) seem miserable and aren't having any fun. I'm questioning if I want to rise higher in this company as a result - who wants that stress?
    - To rise on the corporate ladder, you need to be very politically savvy. This probably isn't unusual for a big company, but there is little diversity in terms of style of people at VP level or above. They're all extroverted and political, and spend enormous amounts of time "positioning" things internally. If you're more introverted and intellectual, you'll hit a ceiling in terms of advancement. Some VP's, but importantly not all or even most, are more interested in their own agenda and department than the good of the company. Also, the CEO has promoted his "guys" (this includes women) to very high levels. Not that these people aren't qualified, but the signal is that he doesn't want people who challenge him in the highest roles.
    - You'll see this in a lot of reviews, but we are bureaucratic and slow. This is talked about a lot, and there is a project underway to change this, but it's an enormous challenge. The "culture" gets talked about a lot positively, and when it comes to passion and people, it's true, but the downside of this is that change happens very slowly, and many people are even afraid to change.

Advice to Management

- Keep up with the project to make us faster, but push even harder
    - I worry that we won't be able to significantly change the culture to be faster if we don't change people. It's the "old dog, new tricks" challenge: the people who have risen to the top in the traditional Purina culture may not be incented to change quickly enough. There are new people in big roles, but they've all been promoted from within. I think we could use some more people come in from the outside at very high levels in the company to shake things up a bit.

Feb 21, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for such a concerned and thoughtful response, and thank you for your years of dedicated service. We are in an environment of disruption, for sure – across all industries – and some of the ... More

6. "Quality Assurance"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Availability of resources is great; Work load isn't too strenuous; Corporate "Walks It Talk"; Safety and Quality oriented.

Cons

Pay could be better; Local communication between departments/shifts gets muddled

Jan 24, 2017 – Human Resources

Hello and thank you for coming out to Glassdoor to leave us some thoughts. We appreciate your transparency, and it's very important to job seekers. Regarding your cons listed, we hope you feel ... More

7. "Coordinator"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time

Pros

Excellent pay. Overtime is basically unlimited

Cons

Upper management is very clicky

Jan 20, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback; we very much appreciate your service to the company. Please know we have shared your comments with senior leadership, as it's important to us that we can continue to ... More

8. "Good job"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay for the job.

Cons

Too many meetings and not enough time spent doing the job.

Jan 19, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback - and for your 8+ years of service! We've made note of your concern regarding too many meetings. While senior leadership is aware, please also feel encouraged to have ... More

9. "Data Entry Clerk Assistant Safety Manager"

Former Contractor - Student in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Contractor - Student in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina PetCare as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great People, nice facilities, laid back

Cons

Pay rate and employee retention

Advice to Management

None

10. "Great company"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time

Pros

Really smart team overall

Cons

European guidance and unfounded mandates eroding profit and at time morale.

Advice to Management

Stay true to Danforth.

Jan 9, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide a review. We appreciate it!

11. "All in all a very good place to work."

Current Employee - Millwright
    Current Employee - Millwright

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good paying job with a stable company that shows it cares for its employees. A good benefit package also.

Cons

Every place of employment has its challenges. Working environment can be dirty and very hot or very cold. I have found this to be true with anywhere I have worked.