Nestlé Purina Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 20, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work life balance (in 216 reviews)

• I love that you are allowed to bring your pets to work and that you offer a great day care facility for children (in 98 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"No place like Purina!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I absolutely love coming to work for NPPC everyday. The culture is second to none and over the years my work team has become like family. My immediate management and department leadership are both supportive and engaged in development and employee satisfaction, and it has led to opportunities for project work and growth. At this point, I can't imagine working somewhere else.

There are lots of perks for associates - fitness center, daycare, flex time and remote work capabilities, tons of events and volunteer opportunities, medical department, company store and discount programs, corporate library, mentor programs, a huge catalog of personal and professional development resources, and of course - pets at work! We can take advantage of tuition reimbursement, pet adoption reimbursement, discounts on Nestle and Purina products, a new 6 month maternity leave, adoption reimbursement, and so much more.

The company puts a lot of emphasis on innovation and continuous improvement, not only in our products and sales, but also in programming and employee satisfaction. The company is dedicated to being a good corporate citizen, and does a ton of work giving back to the community. This is a company you can be really proud to work for, that stands behind its products and values, and empowers its employees to do great work. It's not at all surprising that we have so many people who have dedicated 20, 30, 40, and more years of their lives here.

Cons

This is a big company that can be a little flat, and it has its share of corporate bureaucracy. Upward mobility can take time and patience. It's really easy to get siloed in our individual work areas/projects, so the ability to work cross-functionally is a huge area of opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for more transparency, more diversity (especially in management teams), and more innovation. Be open to non-traditional work structures!

Dec 1, 2016 – Human Resources

WOW - We're so flattered! Thank you for such a raving review. But, we're even more thankful to hear how happy you are. Perhaps we're biased, but we agree that there's no place like ours. And we hope... More

2. "Love coming to Purina each morning!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers are like family - we help each other and make the workplace a fun environment to come into each day. Great benefits, from parental leave to gym to wellness center to a company store. My work is valued and my manager empowers me to make decisions for the betterment of my team and the company.

Cons

Wage gaps if you started at a lower salary when you joined - but even here I have already seen improvement in the past year.

Advice to Management

Keep up with empowering associates to make decisions and to welcome change in a timely fashion.

Sep 19, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re happy to hear you enjoy coming to work each day, that is something to be proud of and we thank you for your contribution in making our workplace one that all employees enjoy! In response to... More

3. "Accelerating Our Ability to Change"

Current Employee - Sales Finance in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Finance in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Quality is our hallmark
    Brands backed by Science and Research
    When competition goes low, We Stay True to our Heritage of Doing the Right Thing for Pets and their Humans

Cons

Hard to change old habits and embrace new ways of working
    Lack of sense of urgency for the need to change and become more intense at competing
    Need to weed out those unwilling or unable to rise to the challenge

Advice to Management

It's time to get intensely competitive and take the fight to our competition.
    We need to stop playing internal politics and use our combined strength, skill, and passion for pets to win back consumers.

Sep 18, 2017 – Human Resources

Wow – well put; thanks for the thought behind leaving such thorough feedback. We, too, recognize the need for a sense of urgency to stay competitive in the pet food category. Project Agility requires... More

4. "Nestle Purina is the Best!"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nestle Purina is a wonderful organization. Nestle Purina has created an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. This organization cares about their employees which in turn feels like every employee adds value to the organization's success. There are so many pros to working for Nestle Purina that and I wish I could name them all. I would advise anyone looking for new opportunities to check out my organization!

Cons

The only con that I have encountered is learning the organization and how the different departments and how we all meet a common goal. As an outside candidate that would be a huge benefit in addition to new associate orientation. I have been with the organization a year now and I am still learning the different departments and teams.

Sep 11, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write such a rave review! Diversity and inclusion have helped shape our culture and our success; we’ll continue to make these factors a priority for our business. We... More

5. "Supply Chain Management Trainee Program"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Management Program in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Management Program in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Purina invests in your future by investing in you. There is the opportunity to truly learn the business while learning which area of expertise fits your career goals.

Cons

Tons of opportunity that is hard to choose from.

Advice to Management

Communication is key.

Sep 6, 2017 – Human Resources

Let us begin by saying welcome; we’re happy to have you! Our Management Development Program was built with our future leaders in mind. We’re so glad you recognize the investment the company has made... More

6. "Overall Great Company but Some Things are Changing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pets at work! Competitive salary. Health, dental, vision insurance; 401K match, flexible with taking time off, people are generally passionate about their jobs, campus gym ($10 a month), access to nurse and doctor on campus, and company has a great community service initiative. Beautiful campus with ponds and dog park.

Cons

I've been at the company less than 5 years but have seen major changes taking place. Offices and cubicles are becoming obsolete and employees are now in open-seating, which makes it more difficult to bring your pet to work (one of the main perks), and causes more distraction leading to less productivity for some folks. Changes in leadership within my department have led to great employees leaving for personal differences with leadership. Culture seems to be changing and for some folks who have worked here for 10+ years, the work-life balance has drastically changed along with morale. Our department over-hired which means several employees are competing for promotions and it takes many years to get promoted. No significant raises for performance.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Hire/promote team leaders who foster employee growth.

Sep 18, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your years of service at Purina; we hope it’s the beginning of a long career for you! We’re happy to hear you’re pleased with the benefits and perks, like flexible time off and a campus... More

"Day and Night"

Current Employee - Order Revenue Management Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Order Revenue Management Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a wonderful place to work. The work life balance is incredible and management really pushes this philosophy. The training is excellent and geared towards setting employees up to grow and be successful internally growing.

Cons

It is a large company that takes time to maneuver.

Advice to Management

Keep working towards transparency and empowering employees.

Aug 29, 2017 – Human Resources

Thrilled to have you on board and very pleased to hear you're enjoying great work-life balance, as well as a powerful on-boarding/training experience. These things are very important. Our Order... More

8. "Awesome place to be"

Former Employee - Lead Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Lead Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina (More than 5 years)

Pros

People / Departments work together, Management listens when you bring up issues that may arise , or if you can present business solutions

Cons

Can't really think of any at present

Aug 31, 2017 – Human Resources

For spending the last 5 years of your career with us - thank you! We are extremely grateful for your service to the company, and it sounds like it's been a great fit for you. We appreciate knowing... More

9. "The Trainee Program is tough yet rewarding"

Current Employee - Managemet Trainee in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Managemet Trainee in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time

Pros

The Nestle Purina PetCare Trainee Program has maximum opportunities for those who are willing to work for it. The Management Team will set high goals with you and push you to achieve positive results of those goals. The team will drive you beyond your comfort zone and push you to be the very best version of you. The Management team while pushing you to be your best will supply you with the tools and support needed to achieve your goals. I am a much stronger than I was when I entered the Nestle Purina Trainee Program. The way I look at processes and business markets has changed considerably. I am now living in the moment and planning three moves ahead and I am aware of how my decisions impact other members of my team. The Management Team sees me as a valuable member and is willing to support and mentor me to be the absolute best that I can be. If you are looking for a company that will drive you to be the very best and give you the tools to achieve that then Nestle Purina PetCare should be at the top of your list.

Cons

Work life balance is tough with the trainee program due to the responsibilities. With that said I knew going in the level of work and time dedication it would take to complete the program.

Aug 28, 2017 – Human Resources

Fantastic! What incredible growth you've seen in yourself - and we've seen in you - in such a short time. Thanks for sharing with us how things are going for you in the program. Certainly a powerful... More

10. "Edmond/Okc facility"

Former Employee - Loader in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Loader in Edmond, OK

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people on the floor, pay is decent, and benefits.

Cons

New management (especially HR) lopsided work/life balance, no existing job diversity whatsoever, so if you are not one of the good ole boys, your possibilities of advancement are slim to none. They would rather hire someone off the streets before investing into employees that have time in the place.

Advice to Management

Try fixing the balance of the work/family time. HE management should be audited, or measured to see if he can actually deal with multiple personalities of employees one might face. Another is to invest in the employees that's there rather than outsource all the time. It's frustrating when u have spent X amount of time in a company, and they won't assist when u want to move up within the company. Id also like to tell management to listen more to his employees, as what's REALLY GOING ON on his work floors. The current assistant managers are incompetent, or clueless, to what would go on.

Sep 6, 2017 – Human Resources

I am sorry to see that you left our Oklahoma City factory, but grateful you’ve taken the time to bring these issues to our attention. Please know your feedback is being shared with our senior... More