Nestlé Purina Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 16, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work life balance (in 222 reviews)

• I love that you are allowed to bring your pets to work and that you offer a great day care facility for children (in 103 reviews)

Cons

1. "Building a Better Future"

Current Employee - Proud Employee In Sales Finance in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Proud Employee In Sales Finance in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working to address structural cost issues while doing what is right for employees.

Focused on growth and delivering superior products for pets

Fast paced and challenging work environment where employees are all able to contribute to the strategy and build our future together.

Cons

Managing change is a hard process and a lot of our long time employees are struggling with the hard choices that need to be made to position our company for future growth and success.

Too many meetings and too much silo thinking within functions.

There are groups and departments that seem oblivious to the challenges faced on the front lines.

Advice to Management

We are capable of doing great things when we acknowledge the urgency of our reality and the need to move faster and more decisively than normal.

Keep pushing for change and be willing to change as a leadership group. Let’s stop doing the things that don’t drive value and focus on what the consumer is telling us they want. No one in our industry can rival our science and product performance. How do we get innovation in the market faster to drive growth? We cannot cut our way to a bright future

2. "HR Generalist"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture
    Work Life Balance
    Amazing Co-workers
    Company Integrity
    Great Benefits - Truly Amazing Benefits

Cons

Somewhat slow upward growth, mostly due to so many current hardworking and dedicated associates wanting upward growth as well. This Con is really a Pro, if you enjoy working with the best of the best.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and train your team. When it's time to promote them, help them.

Dec 7, 2017 – Human Resources

Wow – we’re happy to hear the things you love about working here – thank you for sharing! We hope that you’ll continue to express your interest in growing within the organization, we know dedicated... More

3. "Great Career Choice"

Current Employee - ORM Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - ORM Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working here. The campus is beautiful and my coworkers are great. There isn't a day I dread coming to work. I love the perks such as gym, nurse, on site cafeteria, company store and the ability to work from home. The benefits are great and my management encourages me to succeed. This is the best company I have worked for.

Cons

There really aren't any cons I can think of. I have been here a year and have had no problems. I have worked at some places that had cons and no pros.

Advice to Management

Continue encouraging the staff to succeed, it helps so much.

Nov 30, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re flattered to hear all of the things you love about working here. We appreciate you sharing feedback so we know what things matter the most to our associates. We wish you the very best in your... More

"We recognize & celebrate our success!"

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture is very team oriented. For example, last week we had a Service Recognition Lunch and ALL of the employees were recognized and thanked for their contributions towards the success of the business. Upper management provides a clear vision and supports those who have a good work ethic and share the passion for pets!

Cons

None that comes to mind

Advice to Management

Continue to hire and promote those employers who contribute in a positive way. Don't allow the negative ones to bring down the team.

Nov 24, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! We like to think of the “team oriented culture” as just being part of the Purina family. We’re also happy to hear you feel recognized – we... More

"PTC Downhill"

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nestle is a good overall company. However, get in the wrong department, beware.

Cons

Nestle prides themselves on how they treat others. However, I have never seen such negativity at any company I have worked at. The PTC REALLY needs help. It is a popularity contest to the managers which is completely wrong.

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror and stop blaming others. YOU are the reason we want to go to other departments (TAGG) or leave the company. Change all of the leadership and you will find better morale in the PTC. Leadership really needs to treat employees fairly, not single them out and actually develop their employees.

Nov 15, 2017 – Human Resources

Let me start by saying thank you – for both your feedback and willingness to speak up. We Stand Taller with Integrity, which means that we pride ourselves on a fair and positive work environment. I... More

6. "GOOD BUT BUSY"

Former Employee - A Rate Maintenance in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - A Rate Maintenance in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of hours and great pay

Cons

Lots of hours that are required

Advice to Management

Treat employees like they have a family waiting for them and their job is not more important than their family.

Dec 5, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re sorry to hear you are no longer with us in Flagstaff but do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback. Work-life balance continues to be a top priority for our factory... More

7. "Team Leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Denver, CO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable, great pay and benefits, 401K and I still have a pension.

Cons

We work a lot of OT. It pays very well for the OT but we do work a lot

Nov 30, 2017 – Human Resources

Wow – first off, thank you for your 10+ years of service! Dedicated associates deserve great benefits so we’re pleased to be meeting your expectations. Know that work-life balance is a major... More

"Great company in uncertain times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You'll see a lot of comments regarding the great culture at Purina, which is absolutely true. I have preached my genuine happiness to friends & family for years. There are some great leaders who are wonderful mentors, ethically solid, and passionate about their people and company goals.

From my experience, willing to work hard & smart to produce new and real business values resulted in favorable recognition and compensation. Managers are willing to work with you regarding work/life balance, as much as the position typically allowed.

Senior leadership hit the nail on the head with Project Agility, an effort to make the company faster and more agile.

Cons

As great as Purina is... this is a company going through major transitions. Over the past few years, a great deal of leadership has retired and unfortunately the company is still recovering as new leadership across the spectrum gets up to speed. While some leadership is "best in class", others are critically timid and drastically underperforming, seemingly unchecked. Some teams are widely discussed as being out of control, in disorder with employees confused on direction. Low performers and bullying pulls down high achievers and when escalated, is met with inaction. There is no observable motion towards correcting renegade departments and leadership underperformance. As a result, good talent is hard to hold onto in the chaos.

No accountability towards Project Agility has caused resistance in adoption. Unfortunately, many "old timers" are treating it as another gimmick that too shall pass in time. With no follow through from leadership, who is to say the "old timers" are wrong.

There is an internal culture conflict between Purina and Nestle with many perceiving Purina as losing. While Nestle owns Purina, these companies have drastically different cultures, compare the glassdoor company reviews for Purina and Nestle USA as evidence. Purina associates are understandably defensive of losing their culture for one that is perceived to not work as well.

From what I hear, the IT organization is on the precipice of being merged into Nestle. This is the right move for Nestle but will hurt Purina associates and business. None of the Purina IT folks I speak too are excited for this change with some already looking for other jobs.

Starting this year, I no longer recommend Purina to friends as a place to work... and that makes me really sad as I used to be so proud. For a large company, there is simply too much uncertainty in the business, culture, and future.

Advice to Management

Strong leadership is the only light that will guide us out of the uncertainty.

Project Agility was the correct first step, bold, clear, decisive... now we need the second step.

The ELT should follow through on their threats regarding those resistant to Project Agility.

With the many changes in management over the past few years, take a moment to reevaluated, up and down the chain, that you have the right players in the right spots. The right leadership is the foundation that will allow you to regain control and build a future upon.

This is a decisive time for the company and with all of my heart, I wish we could meet the challenges at hand.

"History records the successes of men with objectives and a sense of direction. Oblivion is the position of small men overwhelmed by obstacles."

Nov 27, 2017 – Human Resources

I appreciate the thoughtful message you've sent and you should be confident it will be read by our top leadership. All industries are experiencing disruption right now due to a variety of influences... More

"The PTC is toxic"

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Discounts on dog food. Make friends with the right people and you can get promoted despite high levels of incompetence.

Cons

Culture. I've seen more than four people pushed out of the company in the last few years at no fault of their own. It's a popularity contest with the management team.

Management. Most have never done the job of their subordinates and have no clue how to coach or develop people. They are only interested in making themselves look better to their peers and supervisors.

Work-life balance. No such things as comp time regardless multiple weekends and 12+ hour shifts to support the factories.

Integrity. Have seen directors and managers openly badmouthing employees, make derogatory comments towards homosexuals, and harass and condescend others.

Advice to Management

Make a clean sweep of the leadership team up to and including the director. Stop paying lip service and pretending to care about the employees when it is painfully obvious that is not the case.

HR needs to stop thanking everyone for their honest posts and actually do something about the problems. Employees are not free to speak to HR openly without fear of backlash. There is no sincerity or appreciation in feedback given to HR.

Dec 13, 2017 – Human Resources

I want to start by saying your frustrations have been heard and I take your comments, especially those regarding harassment, very seriously. Know that our gratitude for your feedback is not lip... More

10. "Motivating and Rewarding Place to Work"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Work life balance is strong at Nestle Purina. I have the opportunity to attend my children's events and still get my job done.
    - I've been continually challenged throughout my career from a business and a coaching perspective.
    - The pets at work!!

Cons

- Pace it getting faster (good and challenging)
    - More direction from the company on the vision for the next 2 years

Advice to Management

The employee base is dedicated and passionate. Provide us the vision and we will give our full effort to make that happen. Feels like some of the senior leaders know clearly where we are headed but a little disconnected from the general employee base.

Nov 10, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your 10+ years of service at Purina! We’re glad to hear you’ve found a balance at work that allows you the flexibility to do good work while also putting your family first! Work-life... More

Showing 991 of 1,047 reviews