Nestlé Purina Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

US - All Cities Full-time Part-time

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • The best part is that you have good work life balance (in 206 reviews)

• I love that you are allowed to bring your pets to work and that you offer a great day care facility for children (in 95 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"No place like Purina!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I absolutely love coming to work for NPPC everyday. The culture is second to none and over the years my work team has become like family. My immediate management and department leadership are both supportive and engaged in development and employee satisfaction, and it has led to opportunities for project work and growth. At this point, I can't imagine working somewhere else.

There are lots of perks for associates - fitness center, daycare, flex time and remote work capabilities, tons of events and volunteer opportunities, medical department, company store and discount programs, corporate library, mentor programs, a huge catalog of personal and professional development resources, and of course - pets at work! We can take advantage of tuition reimbursement, pet adoption reimbursement, discounts on Nestle and Purina products, a new 6 month maternity leave, adoption reimbursement, and so much more.

The company puts a lot of emphasis on innovation and continuous improvement, not only in our products and sales, but also in programming and employee satisfaction. The company is dedicated to being a good corporate citizen, and does a ton of work giving back to the community. This is a company you can be really proud to work for, that stands behind its products and values, and empowers its employees to do great work. It's not at all surprising that we have so many people who have dedicated 20, 30, 40, and more years of their lives here.

Cons

This is a big company that can be a little flat, and it has its share of corporate bureaucracy. Upward mobility can take time and patience. It's really easy to get siloed in our individual work areas/projects, so the ability to work cross-functionally is a huge area of opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for more transparency, more diversity (especially in management teams), and more innovation. Be open to non-traditional work structures!

Dec 1, 2016 – Human Resources

WOW - We're so flattered! Thank you for such a raving review. But, we're even more thankful to hear how happy you are. Perhaps we're biased, but we agree that there's no place like ours. And we hope ... More

2. "The reviews are true.."

Former Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Purina is a wonderful place to work - not just corporate, but at the factories too. The people I worked with and for really became my second family. Beyond the people, the company was very flexible with work/life balance and really supported developmental opportunities. My leadership teams at the factories and corporate were very transparent regarding business updates and career opportunities.

Cons

Seemed like there was a general lag behind industry trends (natural, organic, etc) due to slow decision-making processes, but leadership is actively working on this.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on agility and ensure you have buy-in at all levels of leadership.

May 24, 2017 – Human Resources

We're so sorry to hear you're no longer with the company, although we greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide such honest, useful feedback. Thank you for that. And for your years of service ... More

"I'm a "Lifer""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. Culture - We tend to hire very high performing individuals, and we are like family.
    2. Opportunities for advancement are abundant.
    3. Incredibly challenging.

Cons

1. Transparency between teams is difficult to overcome.
    2. Upper management engagement is not present. There are many more departments than factories. It would be nice to see some understanding of the challenges in other areas.
    3. Communication below Director level is poor at best. Relying on one person to filter and disseminate to 50+ employees is not working.

Advice to Management

Agility means something other than what you are demonstrating. You might want to actually read the McChrystal book, and apply it to a much larger audience. If I hear "baby steps" one more time... It is time to be bold, convey as much information as possible, and give everyone as much information as possible to make the best decisions at all levels. Normandy was not invaded by boatloads of Generals, it was soldiers, sailors, and airmen. I know these comments sound bad, but this small nuanced misunderstanding can make the difference in cultural change. Most attempts at this type of change fail because leaders see small changes become complacent, and don't follow through for the full potential, leading to "Flavor of the month" mentality.

5. "Career with Unlimited Opportunities to Grow"

Current Employee - Dry Pet Production Manager in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Dry Pet Production Manager in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nestle Purina stays true to the core foundational principles that are at the base of Nestle and the Purina business.

There is a commitment to the company and products at all levels that I have not witnessed at other companies. The company takes a long term position as it relates to the business and its people.

The company is willing to invest in their employees with new opportunities, even in a different function, if you are inclined to stretch yourself into new roles.

There are very few barriers to senior leaders in the company and they genuinely take an interest in you as a person, not just an employee.

The Management Trainee Development plan has been around for many decades and has produced many of the top leaders within the Purina organization.

High commitment job but it is rewarded and recognized appropriately which enhances work/life balance.

Local plant management teams function just as that, they are teams where individuals work in coordination/partnership with each other, not where silos are built to slow down the process.

Cons

None that readily come to mind.

May 17, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you very much for such thoughtful detail. We appreciate your long-term service with the company and for helping to effectively lead our Davenport facility. You've mentioned some very ... More

6. "A life changing place"

Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina (More than a year)

Pros

Its a great place to work. Time at Purina was a turning point in my life. Learn a lot about so many things excluding work. The best part is that you have good work life balance.

Cons

Not that i know of.

Advice to Management

Wonderful . keep it up.

May 15, 2017 – Human Resources

"A Life Changing Place" is powerful language - thank you! How special for us to be part of that for you. We're sad to hear you're no longer with us, but seeing that this was a turning point for you ... More

7. "Great Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and relocation packages. Clear cut advancement and growth.

Cons

Can be remote locations.

Advice to Management

The Management Development program varies between the 4 different locations that offer it within the same division.

May 15, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! Congratulations on working your way through the Management Development Program; we appreciate knowing it’s been a worthwhile opportunity for you thus far. Your feedback ... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The most enjoyable and fulfilling work of my career. Get to try new things. Confident in leadership and peers. Very talented group of associates who are passionate about the cause and the work they do. Good work-life balance. Proud to tell people where I work.

Cons

Annual performance reviews and bonuses utilize a system where a manager has a team cap on bonus money and exceptional ratings that they can award across their team. Really high performing teams are somewhat shortchanged.

Advice to Management

Keep up the forward thinking and creating shared value for our customers and communities.

May 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for this very thoughtful review - and for your 5+ years with Purina! We're so proud to provide such a fulfilling career for you. Keep up the great work. Regarding annual performance ... More

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Utility Worker in Crete, NE
    Current Employee - Utility Worker in Crete, NE

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits, quarterly bonus, good people to work around. Double pay on Sundays.

Cons

Overall great company it's hot in the summer's no air conditioning. Long hours sometimes they can force you to stay extra hours to cover.

Apr 26, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your Glassdoor review! We appreciate your thoughts and opinions, but more importantly, your service to the company. To your point on long working hours, we're keeping a close eye on ... More

10. "Corporate America at it's worst"

Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Crete, NE
    Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Crete, NE

Pros

Great money, benefits and retirement plan.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, no room for advancement and extremely negative environment.

Advice to Management

Ease up on the micromanagement.

11. "Large Company with focus on Employees and Pets"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nestle Purina has a fantastic focus on developing employees to be successful in their current position and their future position. There is a routine in place to meet with your manager to document future aspirations as well as sign up for on-site classroom development or project work. I've learned more and had more opportunities to develop myself professionally here than any of the other companies I had worked for previously.

Nestle Purina also has a phenomenal company culture that focuses on families and pets . Pets are allowed on campus at the head offices to spend time with their owners and coworkers. The headquarters lies on a beautiful park with three lakes filled with koi, flowers, trees and grass - there is also a dog park for small and large dogs to get out some energy while spending a day at the office! Also on site is a child development center where employees can drop their kids off - I often see parents eating lunch in the cafeteria with their dog and young children. It's great that Purina enables working parents to stay close to their families while also being able to pursue a successful career.

Lastly, everyone who works for Nestle Purina is very open, friendly and willing to help out a coworker when needed. Office doors are always open and all levels of employees are there to support and help each other to achieve our shared goals.

Cons

Historically, because the company is very large it can be hard to make changes fast to respond to a dynamic market. However, with the focus this year on being more agile throughout all departments, I see significant changes that is turning this around. Our entire company is behind our CEO's commitment to being more agile in all business practices.

Advice to Management

Keep going on this trajectory toward agility that was started this year. I really like what I'm seeing and I'm so excited to be a part of it!

Apr 12, 2017 – Human Resources

You've put such depth into your thoughts - thank you so much for your generous time and kind words. We couldn't agree more. On another note, you're spot on with the challenges we face trying to ... More