Nestlé Purina Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 20, 2017

US - All Cities

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Great place to work life balance (in 209 reviews)

• I love that you are allowed to bring your pets to work and that you offer a great day care facility for children (in 96 reviews)

"Old, Bloated, Slow"

Former Employee - Marketing in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina (Less than a year)

Pros

A high emphasis on work/life balance. Going out of the office for lunch is almost a religion, as is getting out early on Fridays. Most people put in about 50% effort. If you put in any more, you're a total rock-star.

Lot's of stability. The average tenure seemed to be about 35 years.

Since they're owned by Nestle, they are always focusing on the long term, with very little emphasis on short-term results. Even if sales are terrible, you don't have to worry about your job.

Cons

It's very bloated. The org chart is massively complicated and there are a ton of silos. Decisions take forever to make and nobody has any authority to make any final decision.

Because of the bloat, it's an extremely slow moving company. They missed out on the healthier pet food trend. They are missing out of the e-commerce trend. Unfortunately, the executives seem to all be lifers who are afraid to take chances that might disrupt "the way it's always been". Because of this, other pet food companies are absolutely eating their lunch.

They are so overly proud of their Glassdoor rating and they put it everywhere. Nobody ever mentions that the offices look like something straight out of "Office Space" and the dress code is laughably formal for a place that allows people to bring their dogs to the office. Get ready to pay for the privilege to wear jeans once a month! What a joke.

People rarely get promoted. Because nobody leaves, promotions are rare. You're much more likely to get lateral moves that don't do anything for your career.

Because it's so slow, your skill set will likely degrade, especially if you're in a fast changing field like IT or marketing. Purina is about 15 years behind leading edge companies, so get ready for your skill set to be degraded.

Advice to Management

This company is a very comfortable place to work. Because of that, nobody is willing to ever take a risk. You guys are falling behind the competition because you're slow to react to change. No matter how many consultants you hire, it's a mentality that you've fostered for years. It's going to take something drastic to change that.

2. "Corporate America at it's worst"

Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Crete, NE
    Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Crete, NE

Pros

Great money, benefits and retirement plan.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, no room for advancement and extremely negative environment.

Advice to Management

Ease up on the micromanagement.

3. "Ok company. Does not deserve the 4+ star raising"

Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bring your dog to work makes for a positive experience. The location to Busch Stadium is great. St. Louis is a fun for the size.

Cons

Management is below average talent and not vary helpful. Salary is under the market average, work life balance is minimal. Be prepared to work 60+ hours a week

Advice to Management

Work recognize and keep good talent, trim the low quality management

Feb 21, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review of Nestlé Market Audit. We agree that our pets at work policy is pretty awesome, and we want you to know that your voice has been heard. While there are longer work hours ... More

"HORRIBLE WORK/LIFE BALANCE!"

Current Employee - Production Operator in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Production Operator in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and discounts on dog food

Cons

No work life balance. i had 600+ hours of forced overtime this year. You need 15 years in with the company to not get forced all the time. You work 12 hour days pretty much 4 out of your 5 day work week then they usually make u work the weekend. All of this they can do every week if they wanted and usually do. If you have a family kiss them good bye because you will never see them. If your not coming in for overtime in your department they make you come in for safety meetings and training.
    They treat junior employees like slaves. They make sure you get the heavy work load of the day and you are always forced first. They work out the schedule to where some people are made to work ot and others are not. The worst thing about it they do not care. All this talk about bringing your dog to work and how good a place it is, is all coming from management posts. Davenport,IA plant is old and ran poorly by management.
    Watch for employees who abuse fmla. They let them off with fmla without using any of their personal paid time. So those people take fmla then come back to work then use some vacation and work a couple weeks then go back on fmla.

Advice to Management

Quit moving team leads around. Every time a new team lead comes in they run the department totally different then the last guy.
    FIX YOUR WORK LIFE BALANCE FOR HOURLY EMPLOYEES! Especially junior and unclassified people.
    Quit showing favoritism! Quit allowing employees to abuse fmla with the plants work force is so lean!

Jan 26, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your comments, and I am pleased you recognize we are considered a top-level employer within the Quad City area. Our history of continued growth, competitive pay, excellent benefits, and ... More

"try to kill you with forced overtime"

Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Fort Dodge, IA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Fort Dodge, IA

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wage ok, not great. Benefits better than most

Cons

Always short on maintenance staff. Schedule is one 3 day week and one 4 day week at 12 hours per day. Forced in every week due to lack of personnel. Many, many 84 hours weeks. Human Resources worthless in Fort Dodge Iowa plant. Open jobs not posted on company or public websites.

Advice to Management

Fire HR dept. in Fort Dodge Iowa. Their not doing the job. Stop the nepotism and buddy system hiring and go recruit competent employees.

Jan 4, 2017 – Human Resources

I’m sorry to hear you are no longer with the company. Please know you’ve been heard and we have shared your feedback with the broader management team in Fort Dodge. The growth of our business has ... More

"Wake up call needed."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunkirk, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dunkirk, NY

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only Pros to this plant truthfully is the pay and, the benefits. However these few pros come at a price. If it was not for the pay and benefits no one would work here. There are certain people at the plant that truly mean well but overall its a bad place to work.

Cons

There is no loyalty towards the employees. The managers are only there to make a name for themselves. They talk about being honest with everything that you do but when you admit your mistakes they try to fire you. Now i am not perfect and made mistakes but i always admitted them and got harassed by my team leader that i was terrible at my job and should start looking for some place different to work at. He would come in before his shift just to spy on me and when i tried my best i kept getting told it wasnt enough. When i went up to the HR department about getting harassed absolutely nothing got done. i was told that i had to give him two weeks to shape up and if things didnt get better then they may do something about it but chances are they was nothing that they could do. (but if employees talked to each other as the way he talked to me we would be fired on the spot. Totally playing favorites) I felt helpless, bullied and, stress. I couldnt sleep because of the harassment and it affected my relationships with my kids because i could focus on anything but work because i was afraid i was going to get fired. i felt they were looking to fire me because i wasnt a favorite. I felt more stressed out working there than i did trying to find a job after they fired me

Advice to Management

Need to clean house. Workers have voiced their concerns and in the end you fired them because they didnt agree with you. everyone is scared now to do anything because no one is loyal to anyone and will fire you just because they can. Your surveys that you have done have told you that fairness is an issue and you do nothing about it. you have managers who are terrible managers but just tell you what you want to hear. I feel bad for everyone that is still there because of all of the garbage they have to deal with

Nov 28, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback; we appreciate you speaking up. Please know that I have shared this with the rest of our management team so they are aware of these concerns. We do appreciate your ... More

7. "Political and no better than any other company"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most employees are decent people to work with.

Cons

Politics rule at Nestle Purina PetCare. NPPC pushes employees to vote them the best large company to work for. I was treated unfairly and lost my job due to politics at play.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the politics.

Sep 14, 2016 – Human Resources

We’re very sorry you feel that way. I encourage you to reach out to me directly or to use our Hotline number so we can learn more about your experience and can take action as appropriate. At Purina ... More

"Management Change Needed for Future Success and Morale of Employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time

Pros

Company Store
    Maternity Leave Benefit
    Stable Job

Cons

I have worked for this company since they had an office in Cape Girardeau. That is when work was enjoyable. Now myself and other associates only show to work because it is a paycheck. Management has ruined this place. It is hard to get a moment to talk with Management. The only time they want to talk to you is to put you down and tell you how bad you are doing. Yet you never seen them doing any work themselves. Some managers you never see out of the floor. How can they lead this place? They have no clue what is going on. We thought there would be some change when the new plant manager started but he hasn't made an effort to get to know the process or the people. The only time he shows on the floor is to yell at someone.

Advice to Management

My advice is to upper management (not at Bloomfield). Require management to move positions every couple of years. Don't allow them to become stale and collude with other managers. It has become the good ole boys club of who can do the least amount of work and get by with it.

Aug 8, 2016 – Human Resources

First and foremost, thank you for your many years of service to the company. We appreciate your feedback – it helps us improve and grow together. We’re excited to have the new Plant Manager on board ... More

"Very disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    It's easy to pick out distrustful coworkers and management

Cons

Favorite employees are allowed to bully coworkers
    Decent vacation time that you can't take
    Encourages distrust between supervisors/employees

Advice to Management

Stop encouraging bad work ethics from favorite employees by turning a blind eye
    Stop punishing good employees to make them look they are the problem

"UNETHICAL FACTORY MANAGERS"

Former Employee - Factory Supervisor in Bloomfield, MO
    Former Employee - Factory Supervisor in Bloomfield, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay. Benefits. Other employees that you can speak candidly to.

Cons

A manager tells you to do this unscrupulous thing, or that unethical thing casually without the slightest apprehension. Later, maybe minutes or days, they will preach to you about corrections that need to be made on the floor with the utmost seriousness. "We need to get more from them" the manager says. "This needs to happen" they demand. They are forgetting, or not comprehending, that their past misdeeds and unfocused demands make you view them as if they are a flag in the wind blowing hither and thither by unseen forces that manipulate them at will. This makes them appear incompetent and reactionary. That they lack the skills to make sound decisions and execute them accordingly.

Advice to Management

Listen...Value substance over appearance. You're losing/firing worthy talent.
    When a supervisor hotlines a manager's misdeeds insulate that supervisor from retaliation. As it is, management will create a hellish work environment designed to force the target to quit, get terminated or go mad.

Apr 11, 2016 – Human Resources Team

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us. Please know that this feedback has been shared with our Bloomfield and corporate leadership teams, and we take it very seriously ... More