Nestlé Purina Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 4, 2017

US - All Cities

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Great place to work life balance (in 208 reviews)

• I love that you are allowed to bring your pets to work and that you offer a great day care facility for children (in 96 reviews)

Cons

1. "Contractor co-employment concerns"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a great company with excellent benefits that pays well... if you're an actual employee and not a red-headed stepchild.

Cons

HR says the turn-around time for hiring contractors on as full-time employees is 18 months, but that is not respected in the slightest- there are contractors here who've been here years, decades, even. About 20% of the staff at the Home Office are contractors, which means lower pay, questionable benefits (at best), and no job security for a lot of second-class employees. In some cases, full-time positions are simply eliminated and replaced with contract workers.

This does not foster employee loyalty, but instead increases turnover rates, creates a loss of working knowledge that isn't easily replaced, and means good employees leave when they should be encouraged to stay. In all, not a good marker for company health, especially one which continually gets awards for caring for it's employees in the local papers.

Inter-departmental politics and poor leadership skills from upper management also creates a fear of retaliation in some departments, among other issues (it goes unaddressed because those particular people are masterful manipulators, which is how they got to where they are in the first place). It gets worse when those temperamental egos clash, to the detriment of everyone beneath them.

Advice to Management

I'm putting this here as a way to reach those who actually make decisions and can affect change (normal avenues of communication are... unfruitful, if not discouraged for contractors); this won't happen until someone on 15 pushes hard for it, and there are hundreds of employees here who need that support and security.

HR has been aware of this co-employment issue for years, if not longer. The contractors here WANT to be actual employees and stay here with you, but that option is very hard with all the delays, excuses, deflection, continuous "hiring freezes", and excessive red tape involved with the creation of new positions (that alone can be streamlined and made far more efficient). If this company truly values its employees and the investment they represent, please just hire those long-term contractors on as actual full-time employees, do it sooner than later, and don't short-change them. You don't need to pay Fieldglass to tell you that.

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent.
    Moving bonus if you move to another location
    14 weeks paid maternity leave
    Nothing else is notable as positives

Cons

Management is not held accountable and doesn't do work. They pass everything down yet when you go into their office to ask a question they are searching the web, taking personal calls, or blatantly just not doing anything productive. Management works a lot less hours than other admin staff at the plant. Management also doesn't know how to be professional by blatantly talking about other coworkers to your face about their faults and how they were written up. Seems as if the trainee program just promotes people to promote them instead of having them earn it. Management also discusses how they don't like the trainee program because it's too much work. Management also doesn't want to create a better work environment by doing the right thing. If you go to management about unethical things happening they say they don't want to hear about bad things happening.

Advice to Management

Management should not be able to bully others. One way to combat this is not allowing management to spend years upon years in the same factory or position. Other employees besides trainees would make good candidates for promotions also but most management don't want to loose their good employees so they're not praises for their great work.

Jun 8, 2016 – Human Resources Team

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I am disappointed to hear about your negative experience and will address these comments with the entire management team during our next ... More

3. "Good money, not much else"

Former Employee - Packing in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Packing in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time

Pros

Great Pay and benefits. Good safety program.

Cons

HR can be a bit overzealous about disciplining employees for trivial things. Also every employee has the power and authority to ruin another employees reputation as HR will perform disciplinary action on an employee without any hard evidence or proof up to and including termination. Some of the team leaders also let the position get to their heads.

Advice to Management

Require more hard evidence of wrongdoing instead of taking disciplinary action against people based on hearsay. Stop letting supervisors get away with everything with only a slap on the wrist.

4. "Support Center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Good company overall to work for. Pay is ok, benefits could be better. Company takes care to put customers first.

Cons

Support Center management needs to learn value of communication skills! Overly stressful environment, employee's health should be higher priority then it currently is. Lack of communication leads to poor training and poor work satisfaction environment.

Advice to Management

Learn to talk to employees as people, not just relying on supervisors assessment.

May 31, 2016 – Human Resources Team

Our associates are our most important strength. It's unfortunate to hear you have not always found this to be true or communicated effectively. Please know that your feedback has been shared with our ... More

"Not as advertised"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, decent benefits and flexibility to work from home if needed. There's a lot of passion around pets and how to make their lives better.

Cons

Extremely political organization, at least within marketing. Outsiders to the company who don't have relatives that work there or didn't start their career with the company are not given the same opportunities as others. Company has seen flat or declining growth the past several years and it's very apparent they don't have the right management in place to get us through this down period. Promotions are essentially non-existent and those that do get promoted are politically well-connected. Certain managers have no idea how to develop talent, keep people motivated or know the basic principles of how to treat others with respect. Company loves to tout "work life balance" by letting people work from 8-5 but then require you to travel 50% of the time which totally blows up the whole model.

Advice to Management

Stop patting yourself on the back for getting employees to rank you in the top 10 Best Places to Work and start taking a hard look at how to turn your business around and keep people happy and motivated. There are real concerns that employees have that aren't being addressed - do something about it instead of sending out more emails talking about Glassdoor rankings.

Apr 4, 2016 – Human Resources Team

Hi there – I am Steve D. the Head of HR for Nestle Purina North America. I’m sorry your experience so far hasn’t met your expectations, and if you’d like to have an off the record conversation, I ... More

6. "Maintenance"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Nestlé Purina (Less than a year)

Pros

Large Company with large aspirations!

Cons

Work Life Balance is not the best

Advice to Management

Let some decisions come from the bottom up!

7. "Looking towards the future"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Design Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

I've been with Nestle just under 2 years now, and the most important aspect within this time frame has been Nestle's focus on the professional development of their associates. Nestle offers many programs suited for leadership development and understands the importance of coaching and feedback throughout the organization to continuosly improve the quality of its leadership. It is that understanding that makes the Nestle culture stand above most other work environments.

Cons

There are not really many cons to note at this time. I would like to see more team interdepartmental team building.

Jan 14, 2016 – Human Resources Team

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Glad to hear you've had a good two years! We agree that at Purina there are many great professional development opportunities to take advantage of! Please ... More

8. "Purina Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Very flexible with time, good benefits and a desire to help employees gain the skills they need to succeed (help pay for school, internal training opportunities, etc.)

Cons

This is a large company so there is some issues with understanding who should be different tasks and they tend to be pushed down the ladder.

Nov 23, 2015 – Human Resources Team

We're proud of our 'Perks at Work,' so it's great to hear you've gotten a chance to take advantage of them! We’d encourage you to share your concerns with your manager so that any confusion on tasks ... More

9. "What a WONDERFUL Place to work!"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

After coming from a previous company that preached Culture but didn't act on it, I have to say Nestle Purina lives up to what it says on every level. I am so happy to have made the choice to come on board. This company is full of diversity and culture and truly does care about the well being of its staff. I am luck to have experience their relocation and boy was it amazing. Simply put Flawless. I can say that they give you all the tools to succeed in my current role and even more to push me. At times the job can be challenging, but when you work for this company it's easy to make the decision to give it my all and complete the challenge. My manager provides great guidance and feedback and my team provides wonderful support. I have to say... I'm a lifer!

Cons

At this point I have no cons for my company.

Nov 3, 2015 – Human Resources Team

Glad you see we're walking the walk here at Purina! We're big believers that growth comes from challenges and continually engaging our associates makes for a powerful workforce. Continue to push ... More

10. "boiler attendant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Straight 8 hour shifts . Holidays off

Cons

working 13 days in a row . and 8 hour turn around on off Sat.
    Insurance better coverage at a lower cost.
    mandatory overthime thay don't care if you have plans. but they don't like it when the table is turned.

Advice to Management

Upper management should talk to new poeple about 6 months or do something like undercovered boss.

Oct 7, 2015 – Human Resources Team

Thank you for sharing this review with us. We value your feedback, and we are aligned that Work-Life Balance is essential in a high-performing culture. We believe so strongly in balance that we ... More