Nestlé Purina Reviews | Glassdoor

Nestlé Purina Reviews

Updated January 15, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work life balance (in 224 reviews)

• I love that you are allowed to bring your pets to work and that you offer a great day care facility for children (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is tough with the trainee program due to the responsibilities (in 80 reviews)

• Long hours sometimes they can force you to stay extra hours to cover (in 23 reviews)

"Team Leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Denver, CO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable, great pay and benefits, 401K and I still have a pension.

Cons

We work a lot of OT. It pays very well for the OT but we do work a lot

Nov 30, 2017 – Human Resources

Wow – first off, thank you for your 10+ years of service! Dedicated associates deserve great benefits so we’re pleased to be meeting your expectations. Know that work-life balance is a major... More

"Revolving Door"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get new coworkers every couple of months.

Cons

This place is a revolving door for anyone who has been here less than 10 years. Lots of dishonesty and distrust between employees and managers.

Advice to Management

People don't leave companies, they leave managers. Figure out why so many people have left and try to fix that problem. The problem starts at the top...not with the new hires.

Jan 3, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I am sorry to see that you are no longer with us but I do value your comments and commitment to helping us improve. While attrition is a... More

"PTC Downhill"

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nestle is a good overall company. However, get in the wrong department, beware.

Cons

Nestle prides themselves on how they treat others. However, I have never seen such negativity at any company I have worked at. The PTC REALLY needs help. It is a popularity contest to the managers which is completely wrong.

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror and stop blaming others. YOU are the reason we want to go to other departments (TAGG) or leave the company. Change all of the leadership and you will find better morale in the PTC. Leadership really needs to treat employees fairly, not single them out and actually develop their employees.

Nov 15, 2017 – Human Resources

Let me start by saying thank you – for both your feedback and willingness to speak up. We Stand Taller with Integrity, which means that we pride ourselves on a fair and positive work environment. I... More

4. "Great Career Choice"

Current Employee - ORM Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - ORM Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working here. The campus is beautiful and my coworkers are great. There isn't a day I dread coming to work. I love the perks such as gym, nurse, on site cafeteria, company store and the ability to work from home. The benefits are great and my management encourages me to succeed. This is the best company I have worked for.

Cons

There really aren't any cons I can think of. I have been here a year and have had no problems. I have worked at some places that had cons and no pros.

Advice to Management

Continue encouraging the staff to succeed, it helps so much.

Nov 30, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re flattered to hear all of the things you love about working here. We appreciate you sharing feedback so we know what things matter the most to our associates. We wish you the very best in your... More

"No work life balance, management is weak"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Crete, NE
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Crete, NE

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits, people are fun

Cons

12 on 2 off - zero work life balance, management was awful

Advice to Management

listen to your employee's and support your supervisors.

Jan 8, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! Work-life balance is something we continue to work toward for all of our associates. Their well-being is our top priority and we recognize... More

"We recognize & celebrate our success!"

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture is very team oriented. For example, last week we had a Service Recognition Lunch and ALL of the employees were recognized and thanked for their contributions towards the success of the business. Upper management provides a clear vision and supports those who have a good work ethic and share the passion for pets!

Cons

None that comes to mind

Advice to Management

Continue to hire and promote those employers who contribute in a positive way. Don't allow the negative ones to bring down the team.

Nov 24, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! We like to think of the “team oriented culture” as just being part of the Purina family. We’re also happy to hear you feel recognized – we... More

"GOOD BUT BUSY"

Former Employee - A Rate Maintenance in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - A Rate Maintenance in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of hours and great pay

Cons

Lots of hours that are required

Advice to Management

Treat employees like they have a family waiting for them and their job is not more important than their family.

Dec 5, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re sorry to hear you are no longer with us in Flagstaff but do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback. Work-life balance continues to be a top priority for our factory... More

"Abuse in the workplace"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They let you bring your dog into work. However, be prepared to be judged both silently and sometimes vocally. Because if you use one of the benefits they pride themselves on, you are looked at as a slacker.

Cons

Middle management bully and abuse their direct reports. Some micromanage to the extent of timing your bathroom breaks. Others you're lucky to see once every couple of months. No consistency in styles or even between direct reports for the same manager.

Advice to Management

Find some managers who are compassionate about developing people and projects, not their own careers.

Dec 21, 2017 – Human Resources

I’ll start by saying thank you for your 10+ years of service at Purina! I am grateful for your dedication to the company but concerned about some of your comments related to micromanagement... More

"Great company in uncertain times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You'll see a lot of comments regarding the great culture at Purina, which is absolutely true. I have preached my genuine happiness to friends & family for years. There are some great leaders who are wonderful mentors, ethically solid, and passionate about their people and company goals.

From my experience, willing to work hard & smart to produce new and real business values resulted in favorable recognition and compensation. Managers are willing to work with you regarding work/life balance, as much as the position typically allowed.

Senior leadership hit the nail on the head with Project Agility, an effort to make the company faster and more agile.

Cons

As great as Purina is... this is a company going through major transitions. Over the past few years, a great deal of leadership has retired and unfortunately the company is still recovering as new leadership across the spectrum gets up to speed. While some leadership is "best in class", others are critically timid and drastically underperforming, seemingly unchecked. Some teams are widely discussed as being out of control, in disorder with employees confused on direction. Low performers and bullying pulls down high achievers and when escalated, is met with inaction. There is no observable motion towards correcting renegade departments and leadership underperformance. As a result, good talent is hard to hold onto in the chaos.

No accountability towards Project Agility has caused resistance in adoption. Unfortunately, many "old timers" are treating it as another gimmick that too shall pass in time. With no follow through from leadership, who is to say the "old timers" are wrong.

There is an internal culture conflict between Purina and Nestle with many perceiving Purina as losing. While Nestle owns Purina, these companies have drastically different cultures, compare the glassdoor company reviews for Purina and Nestle USA as evidence. Purina associates are understandably defensive of losing their culture for one that is perceived to not work as well.

From what I hear, the IT organization is on the precipice of being merged into Nestle. This is the right move for Nestle but will hurt Purina associates and business. None of the Purina IT folks I speak too are excited for this change with some already looking for other jobs.

Starting this year, I no longer recommend Purina to friends as a place to work... and that makes me really sad as I used to be so proud. For a large company, there is simply too much uncertainty in the business, culture, and future.

Advice to Management

Strong leadership is the only light that will guide us out of the uncertainty.

Project Agility was the correct first step, bold, clear, decisive... now we need the second step.

The ELT should follow through on their threats regarding those resistant to Project Agility.

With the many changes in management over the past few years, take a moment to reevaluated, up and down the chain, that you have the right players in the right spots. The right leadership is the foundation that will allow you to regain control and build a future upon.

This is a decisive time for the company and with all of my heart, I wish we could meet the challenges at hand.

"History records the successes of men with objectives and a sense of direction. Oblivion is the position of small men overwhelmed by obstacles."

Nov 27, 2017 – Human Resources

I appreciate the thoughtful message you've sent and you should be confident it will be read by our top leadership. All industries are experiencing disruption right now due to a variety of influences... More

"Empower your employees? Not even a little."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can put Nestle Purina on your resume... maybe a pro but No problem is losing their reputation.

Cons

They say the key to success is to empower their employees. The only thing you see though is micromanaging. Management confuses process preferences with employee incompetence. There’s only one way to do things, unless it’s a ‘one off’. At which time you should make a decision. “We empower you”- until the decision is made. Then, you are ridiculed for not seeking counsel. Now, same scenario, different situation- you seek counsel, follow through with advice from superiors and all is well, for 2 weeks. Then, a conversation is brought up in a meeting and this situation is discussed and 1 person says,”You shouldn’t have done that.” Suddenly, you did wrong, you’re incompetent and need to be verbally counseled on your actions.

This happens all of the time around here. You have people like myself that are stuck and not sure where to turn or what they are supposed to do. This is not empowering, this is a form of oppression and misuse of power.

I’ve seen people walk in on their first day, shining with pride to be here and by their second month, miserable and looking for a new job.

If you’re a contracted employee- forget it! You’re just a commodity and you will know it when you see the other contractors around start to disappear. You think back to the day before and realize... management was really dirty to that person because they pretended his/her computer needed work and IT was coming to take it early. No, they don’t have a replacement and they are sorry for that. But, hey!! Consider this an early Friday (with no pay) and enjoy your weekend. Once the contractor walks through the front door of their home, their phone rings and they are informed their contract has ended. That isn’t my idea of good business.... it’s quite disturbing.

Management plays favorites with their employees and you know without a doubt, you’re not one of those favorites. Since you observe so much chaos, you tend to stay to yourself and stay out of the spot light.

Advice to Management

Just read the above and if this is you- ask for help.

Dec 20, 2017 – Human Resources

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience and concerns. Empowering our associates to know and own their decision making space is a cornerstone of Project... More

Showing 1,007 of 1,066 reviews