Nestlé Purina Reviews | Glassdoor

Nestlé Purina Reviews

Updated January 19, 2018

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work life balance (in 224 reviews)

• I love that you are allowed to bring your pets to work and that you offer a great day care facility for children (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is tough with the trainee program due to the responsibilities (in 80 reviews)

• Long hours sometimes they can force you to stay extra hours to cover (in 23 reviews)

"We recognize & celebrate our success!"

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture is very team oriented. For example, last week we had a Service Recognition Lunch and ALL of the employees were recognized and thanked for their contributions towards the success of the business. Upper management provides a clear vision and supports those who have a good work ethic and share the passion for pets!

Cons

None that comes to mind

Advice to Management

Continue to hire and promote those employers who contribute in a positive way. Don't allow the negative ones to bring down the team.

Nov 24, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! We like to think of the “team oriented culture” as just being part of the Purina family. We’re also happy to hear you feel recognized – we... More

"Abuse in the workplace"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They let you bring your dog into work. However, be prepared to be judged both silently and sometimes vocally. Because if you use one of the benefits they pride themselves on, you are looked at as a slacker.

Cons

Middle management bully and abuse their direct reports. Some micromanage to the extent of timing your bathroom breaks. Others you're lucky to see once every couple of months. No consistency in styles or even between direct reports for the same manager.

Advice to Management

Find some managers who are compassionate about developing people and projects, not their own careers.

Dec 21, 2017 – Human Resources

I’ll start by saying thank you for your 10+ years of service at Purina! I am grateful for your dedication to the company but concerned about some of your comments related to micromanagement... More

"GOOD BUT BUSY"

Former Employee - A Rate Maintenance in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - A Rate Maintenance in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of hours and great pay

Cons

Lots of hours that are required

Advice to Management

Treat employees like they have a family waiting for them and their job is not more important than their family.

Dec 5, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re sorry to hear you are no longer with us in Flagstaff but do appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback. Work-life balance continues to be a top priority for our factory... More

"Great company in uncertain times"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You'll see a lot of comments regarding the great culture at Purina, which is absolutely true. I have preached my genuine happiness to friends & family for years. There are some great leaders who are wonderful mentors, ethically solid, and passionate about their people and company goals.

From my experience, willing to work hard & smart to produce new and real business values resulted in favorable recognition and compensation. Managers are willing to work with you regarding work/life balance, as much as the position typically allowed.

Senior leadership hit the nail on the head with Project Agility, an effort to make the company faster and more agile.

Cons

As great as Purina is... this is a company going through major transitions. Over the past few years, a great deal of leadership has retired and unfortunately the company is still recovering as new leadership across the spectrum gets up to speed. While some leadership is "best in class", others are critically timid and drastically underperforming, seemingly unchecked. Some teams are widely discussed as being out of control, in disorder with employees confused on direction. Low performers and bullying pulls down high achievers and when escalated, is met with inaction. There is no observable motion towards correcting renegade departments and leadership underperformance. As a result, good talent is hard to hold onto in the chaos.

No accountability towards Project Agility has caused resistance in adoption. Unfortunately, many "old timers" are treating it as another gimmick that too shall pass in time. With no follow through from leadership, who is to say the "old timers" are wrong.

There is an internal culture conflict between Purina and Nestle with many perceiving Purina as losing. While Nestle owns Purina, these companies have drastically different cultures, compare the glassdoor company reviews for Purina and Nestle USA as evidence. Purina associates are understandably defensive of losing their culture for one that is perceived to not work as well.

From what I hear, the IT organization is on the precipice of being merged into Nestle. This is the right move for Nestle but will hurt Purina associates and business. None of the Purina IT folks I speak too are excited for this change with some already looking for other jobs.

Starting this year, I no longer recommend Purina to friends as a place to work... and that makes me really sad as I used to be so proud. For a large company, there is simply too much uncertainty in the business, culture, and future.

Advice to Management

Strong leadership is the only light that will guide us out of the uncertainty.

Project Agility was the correct first step, bold, clear, decisive... now we need the second step.

The ELT should follow through on their threats regarding those resistant to Project Agility.

With the many changes in management over the past few years, take a moment to reevaluated, up and down the chain, that you have the right players in the right spots. The right leadership is the foundation that will allow you to regain control and build a future upon.

This is a decisive time for the company and with all of my heart, I wish we could meet the challenges at hand.

"History records the successes of men with objectives and a sense of direction. Oblivion is the position of small men overwhelmed by obstacles."

Nov 27, 2017 – Human Resources

I appreciate the thoughtful message you've sent and you should be confident it will be read by our top leadership. All industries are experiencing disruption right now due to a variety of influences... More

"Empower your employees? Not even a little."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can put Nestle Purina on your resume... maybe a pro but No problem is losing their reputation.

Cons

They say the key to success is to empower their employees. The only thing you see though is micromanaging. Management confuses process preferences with employee incompetence. There’s only one way to do things, unless it’s a ‘one off’. At which time you should make a decision. “We empower you”- until the decision is made. Then, you are ridiculed for not seeking counsel. Now, same scenario, different situation- you seek counsel, follow through with advice from superiors and all is well, for 2 weeks. Then, a conversation is brought up in a meeting and this situation is discussed and 1 person says,”You shouldn’t have done that.” Suddenly, you did wrong, you’re incompetent and need to be verbally counseled on your actions.

This happens all of the time around here. You have people like myself that are stuck and not sure where to turn or what they are supposed to do. This is not empowering, this is a form of oppression and misuse of power.

I’ve seen people walk in on their first day, shining with pride to be here and by their second month, miserable and looking for a new job.

If you’re a contracted employee- forget it! You’re just a commodity and you will know it when you see the other contractors around start to disappear. You think back to the day before and realize... management was really dirty to that person because they pretended his/her computer needed work and IT was coming to take it early. No, they don’t have a replacement and they are sorry for that. But, hey!! Consider this an early Friday (with no pay) and enjoy your weekend. Once the contractor walks through the front door of their home, their phone rings and they are informed their contract has ended. That isn’t my idea of good business.... it’s quite disturbing.

Management plays favorites with their employees and you know without a doubt, you’re not one of those favorites. Since you observe so much chaos, you tend to stay to yourself and stay out of the spot light.

Advice to Management

Just read the above and if this is you- ask for help.

Dec 20, 2017 – Human Resources

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience and concerns. Empowering our associates to know and own their decision making space is a cornerstone of Project... More

"The PTC is toxic"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Discounts on dog food. Make friends with the right people and you can get promoted despite high levels of incompetence.

Cons

Culture. I've seen more than four people pushed out of the company in the last few years at no fault of their own. It's a popularity contest with the management team.

Management. Most have never done the job of their subordinates and have no clue how to coach or develop people. They are only interested in making themselves look better to their peers and supervisors.

Work-life balance. No such things as comp time regardless multiple weekends and 12+ hour shifts to support the factories.

Integrity. Have seen directors and managers openly badmouthing employees, make derogatory comments towards homosexuals, and harass and condescend others.

Advice to Management

Make a clean sweep of the leadership team up to and including the director. Stop paying lip service and pretending to care about the employees when it is painfully obvious that is not the case.

HR needs to stop thanking everyone for their honest posts and actually do something about the problems. Employees are not free to speak to HR openly without fear of backlash. There is no sincerity or appreciation in feedback given to HR.

Dec 13, 2017 – Human Resources

I want to start by saying your frustrations have been heard and I take your comments, especially those regarding harassment, very seriously. Know that our gratitude for your feedback is not lip... More

"PTC must stand for Pretend To Care"

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Resume booster? Hard to come up with one at this time.

Cons

It feels like being back in high school. Management is clique-y with associates, play favorites not attributed to integrity, and bully each other.

Advice to Management

A quick walk through the halls will speak truer words than any of the obviously fake reviews on this site. They are worse than paid Amazon corporate shill reviews. Everyone looks miserable and seems to be worried about job security. Start looking to replace the many employees talking about leaving the company due to job/manager dissatisfaction.

Dec 19, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to speak up about these issues. The integrity of our management is important not only associates day-to-day but to the future of our business. Please know that your... More

8. "Motivating and Rewarding Place to Work"

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Work life balance is strong at Nestle Purina. I have the opportunity to attend my children's events and still get my job done.
    - I've been continually challenged throughout my career from a business and a coaching perspective.
    - The pets at work!!

Cons

- Pace it getting faster (good and challenging)
    - More direction from the company on the vision for the next 2 years

Advice to Management

The employee base is dedicated and passionate. Provide us the vision and we will give our full effort to make that happen. Feels like some of the senior leaders know clearly where we are headed but a little disconnected from the general employee base.

Nov 10, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your 10+ years of service at Purina! We’re glad to hear you’ve found a balance at work that allows you the flexibility to do good work while also putting your family first! Work-life... More

"Shady Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice working hours. People (excluding management) are friendly. Cats and dogs on site.

Cons

Recently a very great, well liked, employee was let go for somebody else's mistake. Nobody (in management at least) is talking about it. Are we all that replaceable? I feel like there should be more explanation, as this is not the first time somebody has disappeared without warning since I have been employed here. Too many to mention actually. I feel personally affected by this and the lack of caring from the corporation atmosphere. I feel like most people on the floor are actively looking for careers elsewhere, especially since this particular incident. Management is, as always, clueless to the day to day struggles their employees are facing. The workload is unbearable and we can't seem to get any more help. Hm? Maybe that's a sign? A ton of openings, yet there is a struggle to get interested applicants.

Advice to Management

Compassion for pets? Sure. Compassion for employees? None.

Enjoy your meetings and luncheons, we got this.

Dec 4, 2017 – Human Resources

I’d like to begin by thanking you for providing us with feedback. Speaking up, especially when it comes to issues like these, takes courage – so thank you! I am sorry to hear you feel there has been... More

10. "Long hours, average pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson, WI

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When money is available to be spent, projects move quickly. If you get into the right group, it can be fun and enjoyable. If you know who to talk to, you can get pretty much anything, like tools for your workspace, a light bulb changed out, and equipment fixed. They cover most everything when you travel for the company and other factories are usually welcoming to insiders looking to steal with pride. There are some really smart people within the organization and some really outstanding leaders. Work flexibility can be good, but you really have to work past the guilt and schedule your time needed (but you'll make up for it with additional hours).

Cons

The pay is statistically average; they are very clear on that. The problem with that is you get what you pay for. Average people stay for average pay. Outstanding people will leave for average pay. The number of hours worked is rocketing out of control to try and meet demand (which is a good thing I guess???) But it's draining the life and creativity out of everyone. Safety culture is generally good, but the constant influx of average managers lacks consistency, follow-through, leadership vision, communication, and history-in-seat. The great leaders are promoted so fast they aren't able to make the positive change they are capable of. The flow of money is so dynamic and strict and inconsistent (I know those couterfict each other but it's so true) that it's difficult to know if we are doing things to just spend money, because we have no money, or if some higher-up has some priority in mind that "you now have to do".

As a new employee, you will work every weekend, regardless of what HR tells you (they are wrong and make false promises all the time). Its a union factory with no union strength, so you have to look out for yourself.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they are worth. Hearing that it's "competetive" is getting old. Better pay, better talent pull. Don't count heads; freezing headcount in a growing time like this is simply frustrating. Keep your leaders in leadership positions and stop promoting people because you like them.

Inspire us! Fuel our passion and lead us! Get the managers out of the way and get us some real leaders. Get us people who are passionate, relentless, and look out for their team instead of their own career. Look outside the glass palace that is St. Louis and start taking care if your factories like you actually need then (because you have to have them!)

Again, look into paying people more. Work on communications outside initiatives (like Oppertunity) and work on what needs to be done. You don't need a consultant to tell you what to think. Lead and do what's best for your people!

Nov 27, 2017 – Human Resources

Let me first say, thank you for your 8+ years of service as well as taking the time to provide us with feedback! It sounds like you have many positive things to say about the organization but I am... More

Showing 1,012 of 1,071 reviews