Nestlé Purina Reviews | Glassdoor

Nestlé Purina Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work life balance (in 217 reviews)

• I love that you are allowed to bring your pets to work and that you offer a great day care facility for children (in 100 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is tough with the trainee program due to the responsibilities (in 76 reviews)

• Long hours sometimes they can force you to stay extra hours to cover (in 23 reviews)

1. "Production and Management Co-ordinate"

Current Employee - Industrial Technologist in Advance, MO
    Current Employee - Industrial Technologist in Advance, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging Environment . Ranked as one of the top five plants in US for employee relations. Promotes team work ethic.

Cons

Changing inventory processing can create worker stress when new programs are initially introduced on the floor. In turn production can be effected temporarily.

Advice to Management

Trust the floor workers to give 100% to their jobs.

May 30, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback; this is valuable. Really appreciate your passion and service to the organization.

Great point about changing inventory processing. We hope you feel empowered to make... More

2. "Product Specialist"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is great culture and people

Cons

Opportunities within Technical services is minimal

Jun 13, 2017 – Human Resources

Hello and thank you. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts. The people and culture are tremendous; we agree.

As far as opportunities go within Technical Services, the work we're doing with... More

"Old, Bloated, Slow"

Former Employee - Marketing in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina (Less than a year)

Pros

A high emphasis on work/life balance. Going out of the office for lunch is almost a religion, as is getting out early on Fridays. Most people put in about 50% effort. If you put in any more, you're a total rock-star.

Lot's of stability. The average tenure seemed to be about 35 years.

Since they're owned by Nestle, they are always focusing on the long term, with very little emphasis on short-term results. Even if sales are terrible, you don't have to worry about your job.

Cons

It's very bloated. The org chart is massively complicated and there are a ton of silos. Decisions take forever to make and nobody has any authority to make any final decision.

Because of the bloat, it's an extremely slow moving company. They missed out on the healthier pet food trend. They are missing out of the e-commerce trend. Unfortunately, the executives seem to all be lifers who are afraid to take chances that might disrupt "the way it's always been". Because of this, other pet food companies are absolutely eating their lunch.

They are so overly proud of their Glassdoor rating and they put it everywhere. Nobody ever mentions that the offices look like something straight out of "Office Space" and the dress code is laughably formal for a place that allows people to bring their dogs to the office. Get ready to pay for the privilege to wear jeans once a month! What a joke.

People rarely get promoted. Because nobody leaves, promotions are rare. You're much more likely to get lateral moves that don't do anything for your career.

Because it's so slow, your skill set will likely degrade, especially if you're in a fast changing field like IT or marketing. Purina is about 15 years behind leading edge companies, so get ready for your skill set to be degraded.

Advice to Management

This company is a very comfortable place to work. Because of that, nobody is willing to ever take a risk. You guys are falling behind the competition because you're slow to react to change. No matter how many consultants you hire, it's a mentality that you've fostered for years. It's going to take something drastic to change that.

Jul 11, 2017 – Human Resources

First of all, thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us. Unfortunately, it sounds like your experience wasn’t as satisfying as you’d hoped. Please know we take your comments very seriously... More

4. "Career with Unlimited Opportunities to Grow"

Current Employee - Dry Pet Production Manager in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Dry Pet Production Manager in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nestle Purina stays true to the core foundational principles that are at the base of Nestle and the Purina business.

There is a commitment to the company and products at all levels that I have not witnessed at other companies. The company takes a long term position as it relates to the business and its people.

The company is willing to invest in their employees with new opportunities, even in a different function, if you are inclined to stretch yourself into new roles.

There are very few barriers to senior leaders in the company and they genuinely take an interest in you as a person, not just an employee.

The Management Trainee Development plan has been around for many decades and has produced many of the top leaders within the Purina organization.

High commitment job but it is rewarded and recognized appropriately which enhances work/life balance.

Local plant management teams function just as that, they are teams where individuals work in coordination/partnership with each other, not where silos are built to slow down the process.

Cons

None that readily come to mind.

May 17, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you very much for such thoughtful detail. We appreciate your long-term service with the company and for helping to effectively lead our Davenport facility.

You've mentioned some very... More

5. "A life changing place"

Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina (More than a year)

Pros

Its a great place to work. Time at Purina was a turning point in my life. Learn a lot about so many things excluding work. The best part is that you have good work life balance.

Cons

Not that i know of.

Advice to Management

Wonderful . keep it up.

May 15, 2017 – Human Resources

"A Life Changing Place" is powerful language - thank you! How special for us to be part of that for you. We're sad to hear you're no longer with us, but seeing that this was a turning point for you... More

6. "Great Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and relocation packages. Clear cut advancement and growth.

Cons

Can be remote locations.

Advice to Management

The Management Development program varies between the 4 different locations that offer it within the same division.

May 15, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! Congratulations on working your way through the Management Development Program; we appreciate knowing it’s been a worthwhile opportunity for you thus far. Your feedback... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The most enjoyable and fulfilling work of my career. Get to try new things. Confident in leadership and peers. Very talented group of associates who are passionate about the cause and the work they do. Good work-life balance. Proud to tell people where I work.

Cons

Annual performance reviews and bonuses utilize a system where a manager has a team cap on bonus money and exceptional ratings that they can award across their team. Really high performing teams are somewhat shortchanged.

Advice to Management

Keep up the forward thinking and creating shared value for our customers and communities.

May 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for this very thoughtful review - and for your 5+ years with Purina! We're so proud to provide such a fulfilling career for you. Keep up the great work.

Regarding annual performance... More

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Utility Worker in Crete, NE
    Current Employee - Utility Worker in Crete, NE

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits, quarterly bonus, good people to work around. Double pay on Sundays.

Cons

Overall great company it's hot in the summer's no air conditioning. Long hours sometimes they can force you to stay extra hours to cover.

Apr 26, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your Glassdoor review! We appreciate your thoughts and opinions, but more importantly, your service to the company.

To your point on long working hours, we're keeping a close eye on... More

9. "Corporate America at it's worst"

Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Crete, NE
    Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Crete, NE

Pros

Great money, benefits and retirement plan.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, no room for advancement and extremely negative environment.

Advice to Management

Ease up on the micromanagement.

"Quality Assurance Analyst Review"

Current Employee - Food Safety Specialist in Crete, NE
    Current Employee - Food Safety Specialist in Crete, NE

I have been working at Nestlé Purina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Active and fast pace work environment, Friendly employees and management, Great salary and competitive promotion offers/incentives, HR/Management helps build your portfolio to help you advance - very invested in their employees.

Cons

Old machinery, equipment, office supplies(computers), and buildings. Could use updated facilities although that can be very expensive. Difficult to inspire change in this environment. Long hours and shifts.

Advice to Management

Help employees create a better work/life balance. Preferably longer holiday breaks to spend with family - especially in the factory setting we simply don't get more than a couple days and that isn't enough for us to travel out of the Midwest and enjoy a vacation or see family that live at a distance. Many people aren't open to relocation because they know they will not get the time off to come back and visit family.

Apr 12, 2017 – Human Resources

Hello and thank you! We appreciate your feedback and your service to the company. You've made some really great points here - all of which are being shared with our leadership team(s). Regarding old... More

Showing 947 of 1,004 reviews