KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 1,021 of over 1,679 reviews

4.1
Nestlé Purina U.S. CEO Nina Leigh Krueger
Nina Leigh Krueger
Pros
  • "This is a excellent place for work life balance - 4 day work week- AMAZING(in 271 reviews)

• "There are so many positives but some of the highlights are the people, passion about pets, emphasis on quality, able to bring pets to work, the St(in 123 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance work ownership(in 99 reviews)

• "Long hours, back stabbers, poor leadershkl(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Nestlé Purina U.S. and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Here to stay!

Mar 2, 2021 - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong business, strong culture, teamwork oriented

Cons

Somewhat set in old ways of working, but getting better in this space

Be the first to find this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and congratulations on 10+ years of dedication to Nestlé Purina! Our "strong culture" is one of the most unique characteristics about us, and we're pleased to hear you find it to be one of our greatest qualities. We wouldn't be who we are today without the dedication of our employees, like you, and we can't thank you enough! As we continue to grow, and obtain feedback from our employees, changes can occur. However, please know that every change we put into place is done so with our employees top of mind. Again, thank you and congratulations on 10+ years!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Solid Management and Benefits

Jul 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with Work is meaningful Management actively listens and provides great feedback and development opportunities

Cons

Nothing too substantial. Purina is dedicated in their business pursuits and has made strides in the past several years to implement agility and flexibility. They are an innovative company that knows there is still work to be done and I appreciate that.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 3.0

Eye is Off the Ball

Jul 13, 2021 - Senior Manager, Operations in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Purina always fostered a family-friendly environment, with an understanding that safety, personal and family well-being always came before work. They were well-rooted in a solid foundation of beliefs stemming from their founder, William Danforth. They celebrated successes, and lifted up the people that helped them achieve almost impossible goals. They were pragmatic in their approach, standing up to ideas or proposals that unintentionally put employees in harms way. Leaders were brave, and led people through inspiration - not fear.

Cons

The Company is afraid to lose their long-standing culture, but do not realize they've already lost it to some extent. The pandemic drastically changed the lives of employees and the response of the Company doesn't reflect the inspirational leadership the 5 Talls were founded on. You've allowed the pressures of Nestle to grind your people into the ground. Demands outweigh the ability for employees to hang on. The inflexibility of return to campus further pushes employees out & senior leaders are shrugging their shoulders as if to say "oh well." Problem is - your employees are what make you successful, so Purina will pay an unnecessary price.

45 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

They don’t trust you and if you don’t agree with leadership they encourage you to move on

Jul 2, 2021 - Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I used to be very proud to work for Purina due to their community involvement and initiatives, but they are now being highly hypocritical of their movement to be agile.

Cons

ORM asks more and more of you daily while people are moving on from the company and to different departments (and they don’t hire more people) and claim they recognize our effort, but they don’t. They haven’t given a 5 Talls award out until before the pandemic when many people have deserved them. I am thankful they let us WFH since the pandemic began, but they are now forcing us back into the office Mon-Thurs and taking all other flexibility away that we have had for over a year. They don’t care about anyone’s thoughts or feelings and don’t trust us. They claim it is a safe space to speak up, but then SR leadership tells you to move on if you aren’t happy. SR leadership doesn’t take feedback and Managers can’t speak up or support how their team feels. It is a very toxic culture and many people are listening to leadership and looking to move on.

33 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback and know that we are listening. We also recognize the contributions ORM makes to our business, evident in the Five Talls awards you mention which are presented to the individual themselves, as well as department events like the one just held in February to publicly celebrate wins made last year. Associate feedback was also taken into consideration when communicating more flexibility in our plan to return to campus, and you might have heard those opinions expressed during the department meeting on this topic. We’ll continue similar efforts to over-communicate and remain transparent with our associates. Thank you!

5. 3.0

We've Adapted to Change, Purina Needs to Adapt Now

Jul 13, 2021 - Senior Brand Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative environment, super-smart people, company trying to keep up with times in an agile age, beautiful campus, and dog friendly. I've truly enjoyed all my time at Purina and have never considered leaving until recently.

Cons

Purina did a great job quickly adapting and caring for employees during the pandemic, however, all of that work was quickly wasted with their new "WFH Policy". Even after declaring that it was one of the most productive and successful years in 2020, employees are now being asked to return to work full-time with the exception of Fridays, if schedules allow. While employees can still work from home as needed for appointments, but the company feels that they need to get back to having in-person collaboration. While I understand this, it is sorely misguided that we need to be in-person to be productive.

36 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stable company but culture is outdated

Jul 12, 2021 - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great products and brands! Salary is competitive for the area, benefits are decent.

Cons

It’s a big company so politics and red tape often hinder productivity. Face time is highly valued and meetings can be excessive - to the point where it is difficult to get your actual work done. Purina also has a very old school way of thinking when it comes to being in the office. They have always promoted work-life balance, and pre-pandemic that was somewhat true. If you needed to leave early for an appointment or to pick up a kid from school it was typically ok. However, Purina just announced their plans to be back in the office 4 days a week which limits the flexibility that we have grown accustomed to over the past 1.5 years. Work-life balance means something different now than it did before 2020, and with remote work becoming more common in the market, Purina is falling behind. Unfortunately it seems like the “unrivaled culture” is dropping as morale is low and employees feel like they have no voice, even after working long hours and delivering great results during the pandemic.

31 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Stuck in the past

Jul 7, 2021 - Marketing in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some great people work here. Purina products really are excellent.

Cons

There are many cons that come with working for a large company like Purina. The corporate politics, the “old boys’ club” mentality, and the resistance to change and new thinking to name a few. However, over my last five years here, the pros still outweighed the cons. This is no longer the case. With COVID, Purina had the opportunity to change course and put their stingy, dated ways behind them. Their response to the COVID pandemic was fantastic. They preached flexibility and showed care for each employee’s situation. As rumors circulated about the release of the “return to headquarters” plan, I was foolishly optimistic that they’d take the opportunity to evolve into a progressive company, where flexibility and diversity were the new norm. Instead, they failed spectacularly. While others are moving to a complete flex plan, Purina is mandating butts in the seats four or five days a week. They claim it’s “better for our mental health” to be in the office when results from numerous employee surveys this last year stated otherwise. Their tone deaf policy shows they care little about what is best for their employees and only about keeping up the facade that Purina’s campus creates a great culture. And because of this, they will continue to lose great, young talent.

26 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

FANTASTIC Company, People and Development!

Jul 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are SO many pros for this organization! I love the long-standing investment in training and development resources and career enhancing development experiences. Everyone is encouraged to be constantly learning, growing and stretching their capabilities. The culture and people are very friendly, engaging and collaborative. Most recently I have been incredibly proud and appreciative of the compassion, flexibility and support this company has provided during COVID. I am extremely grateful to our essential factory team members and essential headquarters team members who are on our front lines – they are an amazing team! While I was blessed to be a part of the headquarters team who had the flexibility and privilege to work from home over the last year and a half, I’m definitely looking forward to returning to campus in September and once again interacting face to face with our wonderful Purina team. The addition of "Flexible Fridays" to work from home is also nice! I have always said that the people (and their pets) are the very heart of what makes this company so special and it will be great to be back in person fully contributing to this very special Purina culture we all love!

Cons

Some “global initiatives” are not very beneficial at the local/market level.

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your positive outlook and feedback, it’s great to hear. Know that leadership will see this including your comments on work-life balance and flexibility. We’re excited to see you on campus soon and encourage you to keep sharing what’s meaningful to you!

9. 3.0

Disappointed, not as progressive as I hoped & believed

Jul 6, 2021 - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I work with some of the smartest, most caring, genuinely nice humans I’ve ever encountered. My team is passionate and engaged, and I enjoy the work I do immensely. We make products that I can stand behind and feel good about; and we help people keep their pets healthy and happy – that’s fantastic! There are many benefits to working at Purina, including an excellent maternity leave (because of Nestle’s policy) and discounts on pet food, baby formula, coffee, etc. I feel like I have some flexibility when it comes to my work day, as long as my manager is aware of any shifts to my schedule or availability.

Cons

I’ve heard people call Purina ‘traditional,’ which is code for outdated. I love the fact that we have so much history, but some policies are feeling antiquated. Many in leadership roles have been at Purina for a long time – the tenure is great, but they can be stuck in their ways. There is a fair amount of ‘clock-watching,’ in that I feel like others monitor when I come and go. And face-time is valued immensely; it feels that sometimes the hours you work are more important than the work you produce. As a working mom, I feel like I can get more done in 6 hours than I used to do in a 10-hour day (pre-kid days). But I feel guilty and sneaky if I need to leave by 4:45 to pick up my child from school. Promotions are hard to come by. It’s possible, but for the vast majority of the company, it takes a while. We are a flat organization, meaning (in my experience) most employees report to a director or higher; in my department, managers and senior managers don’t actually manage anyone. This leave little room for advancement, considering there are only a handful of director-level opportunities and LOTS of analysts and manager-level roles. I’ve been with Purina for 6 years. And this month, I was extremely disappointed by a new policy regarding our Return to Work. After working remotely due to COVID for the last year+, we’re learning that we will be returning to campus full time, in person, with only one remote work day (Friday). Some department already had this policy in place, so this hardly feels like a perk or fantastic remote opportunity. When HR communicated this policy to us, the tone of the email was insensitive, poorly thought through, and somewhat insulting. The note said Purina was excited to return to the pre-COVID-19 culture that we enjoyed. SO much has changed, and we as a workforce have changed. People got sick. People lost income. People lost loved ones. We homeschooled kids while working full time. We watched friends and family struggle with illness and uncertainty. We didn’t see friends or family for over a year. We took conference calls from basements and bathrooms, just to avoid our screaming toddlers. But we stayed productive. We thrived in our remote roles. We got more done with less, demonstrating the agility that Purina prides itself on. We excelled and gave Purina FANTASTIC results in 2020, not despite working from home, but in large part BECAUSE we were working remotely. Neslte (our parent company) is offering a flexible work arrangement, saying they trust their employees to do the work and remain engaged. Purina, in contrast, is saying ‘come on back, our culture depends on you being here in person.’ We’ve lost employees – I know of 4 personally – who have secured new, fully remote positions. Talent will leave. But Purina may not care until it’s too late.

54 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

First, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback as well as sharing what you find so unique about Purina. We’re seeing a theme throughout the feedback provided and one of those themes is the acknowledgement of the enormous amount of respect and appreciation our employees have for one another. However, it’s also clear to us that the announcement regarding returning to work has created some worry for some people. We’ve addressed some of these in previous responses, and we welcome dialogue with your manager and with HR. Know we appreciate your feedback.

10. 2.0

Dissappointed

Jul 2, 2021 - Order Revenue Management in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers Campus is beautiful Great Benefits

Cons

* Work life is not as flexible as they want people to think. * Upper management is a bully * They are pushing people to come back to campus after Labor day, after working remotely for over 18+ months and doing a great job. The company had their best sales in the history of Purina. They are disregarding anyone feelings or opinions on the matter. We proved it could be done and everyone has set up their home office to support the company remotely. Now they are basically telling us it was not good enough. - They want to say its because of our mental state that working from home can cause isolation. most people I have talked to say their mental state working from home is better than it has ever been. - They also stated they would have "flexible Fridays" like that is a reward. - Emails to management are going onto deaf ears. -Nestle corp has adopted a flex plan, but Purina is still in the dark ages and with all of the old people in upper management things will most likely not change until turnover changes.

14 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you. Please know we understand this will be a transition period for some, and we’re here to help make that transition as smooth as possible. I’d like to take this opportunity to discuss some of your concerns regarding upper management and not feeling heard. Last week, our department leaders set aside time to open up dialogue regarding returning to work. Our hope is you were able to take advantage of this time to gain more clarity on your concerns mentioned. The conversation has received very positive feedback from our ORM employees, and some have even mentioned their appreciation for the dedicated time we set aside for this opportunity to further discuss. We know each of our employees have unique schedules and situations, which is why our organization developed a return to work plan that still consists of the flexibility we’ve always had, but also incorporates face-to-face interaction which we feel cannot be replaced. Again, we thank you for your feedback and appreciate the time you took to leave it.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,021 Reviews