KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of Nestlé
Engaged Employer

Nestlé Purina U.S.

Add a Review

Nestlé Purina U.S. Employee Reviews about "pets to work"

Updated Jan 15, 2021

4.3
Nestlé Purina U.S. CEO Nina Leigh Krueger
Nina Leigh Krueger
Pros
  • "This is a excellent place for work life balance - 4 day work week- AMAZING(in 271 reviews)

• "There are so many positives but some of the highlights are the people, passion about pets, emphasis on quality, able to bring pets to work, the St(in 123 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance work ownership(in 99 reviews)

• "Long hours, back stabbers, poor leadershkl(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Nestlé Purina U.S. and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "pets to work"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Spectacular Culture, Company, Coworkers and Top Notch for Veterans

Jan 15, 2021 - Principal Engineer/Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture that values ALL people. Veterans look no further...or at least peak in before passing by. Values you and your input. "Five Talls" - IE: Core Values. " Work Life Balance. Value your wellness. Feels like a small proud company but has the horsepower of the worlds largest food company (NESTLE). Extremely successful. Growth - personal, professional, and corporate. Stability. Best coworkers I've had outside the service. Outstanding benefits. Great benefits for new parents. PETS AT WORK!

Cons

Too many opportunities and benefits to keep track off. Is this a con? Just missed the pension days.

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! Our commitment to an inclusive culture is and always will be part of who we are. We couldn't have said it better that we "value all people" and strive to create an environment that allows each person to bring their whole selves to work each and every day. Providing meaningful benefits like work-life balance to our employees is imperative to the success of our organization, especially now. We will continue to stay committed to flexible schedules as we know each of our employees has unique needs for themselves and their families. We encourage you to continue leaving feedback like this as it helps us evaluate the benefits and perks we offer to our employees. Again, thank you for your feedback!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place to Work

Jan 11, 2021 - Inventory Control Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Benefits! Lots of Perks, bring your pet to work or show some love someone else's pet, discount on pet food, company store, Starbucks on site. Positive and happy work environment. Work-Life balance. Everyone is very friendly!

Cons

None that I can think of

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We're pleased to hear you've had a positive experience with us thus far. We agree, "bringing your pet to work" is one of our greatest perks and most unique, too! We try to provide valuable amenities to our employees like an on-sit coffee shop, discounts on pet foods, and a full-service cafeteria. We value our employees and having spaces like these offer a time for relaxation and a moment to reflect or gather with peers. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you on campus soon!

3. 3.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Contract Work & COVID-19 Mishandlings

Nov 13, 2020 - Talent Acquisition in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pets at work, discounted Nestle products on campus, volunteer events, outdoor space and food onsite and good opportunities to work across the country with other locations.

Cons

Converting contractors to FTE is not seen as an importance (contractors are viewed & treated as disposable workers). FTEs and contract employees follow different rules (more favorable for FTEs). The Purina Headquarters in Downton STL are pushing their employees to return to campus from work from home accommodations during COVID case spikes and are not taking all the necessary precautions in ALL of their office spaces to make working onsite safer. There are employees sitting in a unventilated office that are not spaced out 6 feet or more apart, there are not many people seen cleaning/sanitizing areas of work throughout the day, and full time employees are working from home while demanding contract employees return to work onsite even when contract employees express concern for rising COVID cases, specifically being told "We expect you to come in unless you or an immediate household member has a reason you cannot be onsite, or else we will find someone who will"....

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Some Pros, but the Cons far outweigh them

Feb 11, 2020 - Scientist in Saint Joseph, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Within the PTC the salary structure is OK. Bringing your pet to work is a nice perk in St. Louis, but I always viewed it as a distraction. When you have some employees that bring 2-3 dogs to work but then have to take them to the dog park every hour on the hour, how do they get work done. I liken this to smokers that take smoke breaks every 30 minutes, shouldn't non-smokers get this same break every 30 minutes? For the most part people are friendly and have the best interest in pets at heart.

Cons

Management in the PTC has no clue how to choose and maintain/keep good talent. It takes forever to hire new Petcare associates. It's turning out to be not what you know, but who you know. Even upper management is guilty of hiring associates that are good friends from previous jobs no matter if they fit the job description or not (the good old boys club). I've seen some managers get away with murder, but then other associates make a small error are relieved of their duties, even after giving 20+ years of their life to the company.

Human Resources

You offer up a lot of great feedback from your experience with us! You mention pets as work causing a distraction – research shows bringing your pet to work reduces anxiety and makes it easier to approach new people allowing greater collaboration to take place, among other benefits. To us, those far outweigh the time lost for a visit to our outdoor dog park, The Bark Yard. You also have some important concerns related to management and hiring. We’ll investigate your comments of hiring “friends” but know that our Talent Sourcing team has systems and measures in place to only consider those qualified for open positions. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you! – Abby, PTC Site Director

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A Company with Vision, Strategy, Strong & Positive Culture focused on People and Leading

Jun 17, 2020 - Director of Marketing in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Last month I celebrated my 15th anniversary working for Nestle Purina and it is a milestone of which I am very proud. I often get asked why I have stayed with one company for so long and what I love most about Purina. It's easy to answer that question, because over my 15 years with Nestle Purina, I have consistently been stretched, developed and challenged. The organization has given me plentiful opportunities for growth and I have gladly accepted them. In my 15 years, I have held a variety of roles in the organization -- from consumer research to brand marketing to global digital and ebusiness innovation. These experiences have not only allowed me to contribute more and more to the organization, but also helped me grow as a person. I have learned new skills and have been provided the opportunity to lead people and help develop others, one of my most favorite and rewarding parts of my job. My time at Purina also has been enhanced in large part because of the people that work for the company. I have been surrounded by very intelligent, creative and resourceful colleagues who are highly passionate about what they do, the company they work for and the consumers and pets lives we impact. I also am surrounded by leadership who realize that their strategic vision for the future of the company is based in the team of people they hire and cultivate. Of course, there are other reasons, including but not limited to a great city to live in (Saint Louis), a beautiful campus to work on and robust benefits. I never tire of seeing and hearing people’s reactions to the benefit of being able to bring your pet to work. I would strongly encourage you to look at Nestle Purina and see if it feels like a right fit for you. I could not be happier that I chose to join the organization 15 years ago and I am excited for our future.

Cons

As a large organization with many moving pieces we continue to work hard to increase our flexibility and speed to market. We've made a lot of progress and we believe there is more runway left.

Human Resources

First, thank you for your 15 years of dedication to Nestle Purina, what an accomplishment! Learning never stops, and your career path is a perfect testament to the significance of the career development tools and opportunities available to our employees. You also mention a need for flexibility and speed – we couldn’t agree more. Project Agility aims to provide that speed by defining decision ownership space and removing non-value added work. We appreciate your feedback and encouragement for others who are a great fit to consider us as an employer of choice. Thank you!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

BEST PLACE TO WORK

May 13, 2020 - Senior Financial Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The behaviors encouraged by the company, the work-life balance, the caring for the employees, the benefits and of course, the bring your pet to work. Also the company allows for you to explore other functional areas professionally to help you grow and understand more the business which is great and avoids being pigeonholed.

Cons

In some areas the company is still a little conservative and follows a strict hierarchy. Working with the other Nestle entities globally represents a challenge in terms of adapting and collaboration.

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Collaboration is key at Nestle, and we understand that at times that may come with obstacles or delays, but we’d challenge you to assume positive intent and propose solutions in these scenarios. We appreciate your advice and feedback – thank you!

7. 5.0

Great Company To Work For

Jan 9, 2020 - Manager - PTC in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many positives but some of the highlights are the people, passion about pets, emphasis on quality, able to bring pets to work, the St. Louis campus. Also the senior leadership, both in the PTC and in the NA business. They are focused on the business but still really care about the people.

Cons

Only cons I can think of are that we are saddled with Nestle policies and procedures that are not necessarily the best for operating our business efficiently. Nestle is a great company but needs to recognize the uniqueness of our business and one size does not fit all.

Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience in the PTC. It’s rewarding to hear when our associates value the same things we do, like our people and quality in our products. We understand that being a part of a large, global organization can slow things down at times however, the organization globally and locally wants to combat this. Speak up about what’s not working and suggest solutions – the business will thank you for it. Thank you for your feedback.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Opportunities to Lead, Contribute, Develop, and Have some Fun too!

Apr 4, 2019 - Director in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Key Focus on Health and Wellness of Pets * Commitment to Quality and Safety -- Never Compromise * Great opportunities to learn and develop in and across Purina and Nestle (including International) * Continues to focus on enhancing Diversity * Programs supporting working families * Continuous Improvement Approach * A place to build a career not just a job * Pets at Work! * Solid Benefits - Health, 401K, On Campus Screenings, On Site Gym * Major efforts on Sustainability ex Water Conservation, Recycling/Zero Waste, Clean Energy * Great People with a passion for Pets!

Cons

* Can, at times, be slow to make decisions - but making progress * Challenges in meeting short term targets with longer term strategies

Human Resources

Thank you for your comments, you have many positive things to say and offer some very important advice! You’ll notice agility, with clear decision making space as a pillar, is no longer a project. We realize this is a key driver to our future success and has ingrained itself in our company culture, so you’ll notice it is there to stay as a part of our 5 ‘Talls’. You also mention a need to balance short term planning with long-term strategy. Know this is an ongoing priority for our organization & your advice will be shared with senior leadership to reiterate just that. Again, we appreciate your feedback—thank you!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great blend of passion, science and ethics!

Nov 30, 2018 - Senior Research Scientist in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Research and Development is full of amazing, ethical scientists who are passionate about improving the lives of pets. While rapid implementation of new product innovations is encouraged, we do not take short cuts that threaten the scientific credibility of the products. Management is supportive of the researchers and allow us the freedom to be creative. The scientists get credit and recognition for their innovations. Employees can create their own career path if they advocate for themselves and take advantage of the many training opportunities that are available. Bringing well-behaved pets to work is a huge perk! There is also the option to work from home (with your manager’s approval) if there is bad weather or other extenuating circumstances. Most managers are extremely flexible and encourage a good work/life balance. On top of everything else, the people are very nice and truly care about each other!

Cons

A large company can sometimes be risk averse and slow moving. Nestle is taking steps to change this.

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback and speaking to the innovative work going on in our labs every day! We recognize that we must encourage this creativity and remove obstacles to continue driving innovation both at Nestle Purina and within the pet care category. We appreciate your feedback—thank you!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Nestle Purina is a Great Place to Work!

May 26, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

The perks that we have access to are excellent. There's an onsite gym, personal trainer, dietitian, massage therapist, nurse practitioner that can write prescriptions, company store with discounted products, and the list goes on. We have the ability to bring our pets to work, and even if you don't bring yours, seeing other pets immediately reduces any stress you might feel. The new Parent Support Policy that allows primary caregivers up to 26 weeks of leave is amazing and a huge perk of being a professional that is starting a family as well. Our Paid Time Off policy is also awesome as we have the ability to get up to 6 weeks off depending on your tenure with the company. Aside from the amazing perks, the job itself is also pretty rewarding. My teammates are great to work with and my boss is really supportive, which makes coming to work every day a pleasure. Most of my job involves helping other employees, which is really rewarding. I have the opportunity to grow and my leadership team trusts me on larger projects to make key decisions. The learning and development opportunities here are great too!

Cons

We have so many people who have stayed with the company for so long that sometimes growth is slow. If you're patient, it will pay off, but it can take longer to get promoted than at other companies.

25 people found this review helpful

Human Resources Team

We couldn't agree more--we have some awesome perks here at Purina! And it's hard to have a bad day when you can see a pet around any corner. We're very proud of efforts like the new Parent Support Policy--glad to hear you've seen its benefits! Also great to hear that you've enjoyed your time here at Purina. We're committed to providing growth opportunities for our associates, but, as you suggest, these growth opportunities may not always come in the form of a vertical promotion. We encourage you to continue to take advantage of these opportunities in whatever forms they may be and to share your feedback with us, your manager, and/or HR contact. Thanks!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 92 Reviews