NetApp Reviews | Glassdoor

George Kurian

1,659 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Still a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NetApp has a forward plan that is communicates to it's employees. And it's actually taking the steps openly to make these changes. The new management team from the CEO down are very competent and honest about what is needed to be done and what is at stake if we are not successful in this transition. Expectations are clearly laid out for staff on what they need change and focus on for all of us to all be successful.

I feel like the changes the company has made and the future bets they are making are appropriate and will lead NetApp to still being relevant in 5 to 10 years if executed properly.

The company has a different feel and some of the long timers are not supper keen on changing but in this space you now need to change or slowly die off. I think it's inspiring to see what NetApp can become in the future and the value it will deliver not only to it's customer and shareholders, but also ultimately it's employees is retains.

below is a list of all the Pro's to working here.
    -Great people
    -Very good culture
    -Above avg compensation
    -Excellent work life balance
    -Great legacy products
    -Real products that work in the cloud today
    -Product pipeline that will keep us relevant in this changing market place
    -Great customers
    -excellent benefits
    -everyone has a voice

Cons

Changes mean lots of people that can't or wont change the way they do things and the skills sets they have will be let go. This can hurt moral for the short term. No one like to come to work and see their friends being walked out the door. New accountability mandates can lead to people feeling like the could be next to be let go. although this has stabilized quite a bit in the past year.

List of Cons
    -Customers are moving more and more to the cloud. traditional storage slice of the pie for NetApp to own is getting smaller. Only way to grow is to take market share faster from your competitors than then your slice of pie you compete to win shrinks. long term this is a losing proposition.
    -Bets on the cloud products must pay off for the company to succeed long term.
    -further downsizing will most likely need to happen to keep the company stock up.
    -Being the best company is a slowly shrinking market is not any easy pill to swallow. it's like being voted least ugly at an ugly contest. your still ugly, just not as much as the next person.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work to keep making the changes necessary to provide value to customers and shareholders.

2. "Fast paced, open communication - for the most part you can say what you want. Good leadership."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

There is fast growth at the company and good leadership. Good insurance benefits too as well as good people to work with.

Cons

There are growing pains from growing so fast and that has caused many issues. Career development is lacking due to the growth.

Advice to Management

Change the way you manage, this is no longer a start up company. Look at career advancement and development for employees.

3. "NetApp is a terrific collaborative company with great opportunities for learning and professional growth."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Cooperation/collaboration! We are ONE TEAM. The other day someone suggested a change to one of our internal websites. I thought about it and hacked a change, which worked on Firefox and Safari but not IE. I posted something to an internal mailing list about it, and someone on the east coast found out how to fix it and updated the site less then 10 minutes later. I love this company because people are committed to doing the right thing for the company and for our customers.

Cons

There is a diversity of management talent at NetApp. If you get a good one, life is good. If not then not so good.

I'd love to see a pension plan beyond the 401k.

Advice to Management

I would like to see 360-degree evaluations.

4. "Working at Network Appliance is very enjoyable and satisfying."

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

The leadership at Netapp is very strong. They set good direction and are very competent in leading the company.

Cons

Moving of stuff to other companies is not positive for America, although it is good for Net App :)

Advice to Management

Better communication regarding direction and strategy. It would be nice to know where we are headed.

5. "NetApp: A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Durham, NC

Pros

NetApp provides you with the some of the best benefits, including paid-time off to volunteer, party "beer-bash" every Friday at various NetApp sites, and many more. NetApp is still a relatively small company where you have a chance of contributing and getting proper recognition for the contribution.
    The culture is very open: the management communicates directly with employees and work with them to help the company grow.
    The promotions I have noticed usually happen from within and I think that people here have a vast set of career opportunities to choose from.
    One of the best things about working at NetApp is that the people you work with truly believe in their work and everyone actually wants to be here.

Cons

The NetApp compensation is at industry average, rather than being higher.
    I work at one the the remote site's of the company and it seems that the environment can be somewhat different at the remote sites than the headquarter in SVL.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and help the company grow at an even faster rate.

6. "netapp rocks"

Current Employee - MTS4 in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - MTS4 in Durham, NC

Pros

netapp offer a good work-life balance, flexi-hours, variety of timeoffs, one can choose the team they want to work for, one can even choose the kind of profile he/she wants to grow, high career growth , people around you are equally passionate about the work and taking company miles ahead of the competition. it is like a close knitted family. people from different background, different culture do not just get chance to work together but share their culture ,express themselves through variety of events. we give so much back to the society by participating in food bank drives etc social events. the executives are just for it and we see them as heroes

Cons

have not seen any todate

Advice to Management

they are great

7. "Netapp is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Pros

Culture, awesome benefits and pay

Cons

There are no downsides at Netapp

Advice to Management

keep the company the way it is.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

NetApp is a very fast-paced environment

Cons

I don't have any downsides

Advice to Management

None

9. "NetApp - A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

NetApp has is a great meritocricy. People who work hard are recognized and compensated appropriately, people who do not are dealt with appropriately. Beyond all the great benefits, free food, and parties, this is more important than anything at NetApp.

Cons

Touchy feely employee culture. Many of the employees get their "feelings hurt" too easily.

Advice to Management

Better ways for technology leaders to move into management. HR has some arcane rules right now. Keep up the growth and keep the communications going. I would not want to see NetApp crash overnight and have to lay off hundreds of employees.

10. "A great first impression from a new hire perspective."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

I feel taken care of here. There are many resources available and you're encouraged to take charge of your own professional development. Some people may not like the open-ended environment, but this is something I thrive off of. A lot of learning material is available online and there is a good sense of community.

Cons

Haven't been here long enough to know the intricacies of the company, but the only complaint I have so far is that the employee resources could be organized better. I have run into broken links and outdated information, but I make sure to do my part and report them.

Advice to Management

Nothing yet...

Showing 1,659 of 2,732 reviews