NetApp Reviews in Sunnyvale, CA | Glassdoor

NetApp Sunnyvale Reviews

Updated May 3, 2017

Sunnyvale, CA

Pros
Cons
  • Recent transformation initiatives have negatively effected the work life balance as the company tries to do more with less (in 54 reviews)

• Middle-management & below still stuck in the past (in 67 reviews)

1. "Dinosaur Company With Really Nice People"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp as a contractor

Pros

Netpp has always tried to keep a "startup" mentality, which means putting a lot of trust in its employees. As a result, there's a lot of flexibility with things like working from home, and there seems to be little micromanagement across the company. A lot of people here have been here for a long time, and genuinely care.

Cons

The biggest thing is that NetApp is just dying. We are an old-fashioned company that isn't keeping up with evolving technology, and that just doesn't work in Silicon Valley. There have been a lot of layoffs and morale is pretty low, and I don't see how they can turn things around unless there is a dramatic overhaul in the immediate future.

Advice to Management

One thing I would say is that while we are extremely grateful for the level of trust you place in employees, a LOT of people completely abuse it. Most people on my team come in late and leave early, and the place is basically a ghost town on Fridays. And some people seem to have no deadlines for projects that just never end, so I have no idea what they contribute to the team. Make sure managers are holding their teams genuinely accountable for work, and that would help a lot with in-office morale at the very least.

2. "Marketing at NetApp"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive compensation, new management team that looks promising, SolidFire acquisition greatly boosted overall appeal with customers and partners (as well as revenue).

Cons

Marketing department is, and has been since I joined in 2009, a disjointed and highly political department weighed down by poor leadership (especially in Field and Channel Marketing). Very poor connection between sales and marketing and significant turnover at the CMO/SVP level. Hopefully the latest CMO will be the much-needed change agent.

3. "Still figuring it out"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, great people, and a few great products. Still opportunities for advancement and it looks like the company is finally starting to turn around.

Cons

The elongated turnaround of the company is taking time which makes it hard for current employees to keep hope, especially as frequent layoffs and attrition eat away at the employee base

Advice to Management

Need to figure out the direction and product vision before we lose all employees to attrition or layoffs

"Appearance is more important than doing"

Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits seemed okay (but can't truly compare without outside information), the fitness center is fairly large and nice. Many good and hard working engineers, scattered in various areas

Cons

Managers told employees that you need to physically attend all meetings in our functional group, not by con-call because upper management used physical attendance as a primary indicator of your value. So you learned that appearances were more important than doing real work. Upper management even told our group, that every employee in Sunnyvale has the "opportunity" to attend the quarterly All Hands meetings in person - really? Either have coffee and cake, while listening to the latest spin on bad numbers, or emailing the CM to get information on the root cause of this week's failures. I choose emailing, and I got laid off - although, I survived for 10 years.
    All of management were "yes" people, as other independent thinking managers quit or were laid off during the prior layoffs.
    Recent layoffs were to "change NetApp culture and processes", but the same processes haven't changed, and the towers between Engineering and Operations are still as separate as different companies.

Advice to Management

Just do something! Spending time on asking employees what they think is the NetApp culture was a complete waste of time. Employees learn the culture from management actions, as a child learns from parent's actions, not words. Employees will learn how to collaborate when they see their managers collaborating with other groups. But they also learn to keep quiet with countering views when your manager tells you to "never challenge your 'boss' that way during a meeting".

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best places I ever worked for. Lots of emphasis on getting job done. No space for politics

Cons

Some orgs are different. In the past senior management weren't decisive. Current exec management is much better at this. Hope to see great things happen. Industry getting killed by cloud :(

7. "Great Employer"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Culture and growth at the company

Cons

No real cons other then shifting market

"Not looking good."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp (More than a year)

Pros

Work-Life Balance.
    Relaxed environment.
    Nice perks.
    Decent salary.

Cons

No-one has a clue where the company goes.
    Never ending transformation.
    Outdated IT systems.
    Attrition is biggest issue than year after year Lay Offs.
    Uncertainty,

Advice to Management

Advice to who???

9. "Mts"

Current Employee - Software QA in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software QA in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good gym, good buildings , good product

Cons

Bad management , always changing lot of layoffs

Advice to Management

Stop doing layoffs

10. "TAM"

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technology and great people!

Cons

Constant re-orgs, multiple layoffs, uncertain future.

"Senior Program Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time

Pros

Great teams that really want the company to succeed. Flexible work hours, telecommuting opportunities. Good compensation and benefits.

Cons

Went from customer and employee-centric to shareholder centric. Seemed to forget that when customers and employees are happy, shareholders are happy. Instead worked to build up share price (buy back stock), four layoffs in less than four years and more probably on the horizon. Poor upper management and exec direction, portfolio stagnant; many startups now eating NetApp's lunch and NetApp is far behind (where they were previously the head of the pack). Poor acquisition history (most not managed well after acquisition--failures). No real chance for promotion. Too many layers of management. People not caught up in layoffs are leaving in droves (another friend of mine just left). Very sad; I hope they somehow turn it around because it had great people and really was one of the best places to work.

Advice to Management

Last two layoffs felt like blind axing; no re-alignment of good resources, but letting an entire group go (even with employees rated at 2 and 1 previously) while there are poorer performing staff that remains. You need to boost moral and focus on customers like you did before. It's the employees who have the ability to turn it around; laying off the goose that laid the golden egg is not the best strategy.

Showing 639 of 2,539 reviews