Netflix Reviews in Beverly Hills, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
Cons
  • you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 48 reviews)

• Finance lives in a culture of fear (in 21 reviews)

"LOVE IT"

Current Employee - Content Distribution Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Content Distribution Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture makes every day a superior work experience. I have stellar colleagues and interesting challenges every day. I look forward to coming to work every day.

Cons

High performance is expected at all times which is not challenging by itself, but it can wear you down if you don't handle stress well.

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- They hire smart people.
    - The CEO is really wonderful. He's smart, inspiring, has a clear vision for the company, and is transparent with the teams.
    - Looks great on your resume.
    - Great product with big ambitions.
    - Lunch is brought in everyday.
    - Unlimited vacation time (although many people still work while on vacation).

Cons

The "culture" that they sell you in the interview process does not exist within the marketing department - I do think it is strong within other teams in the organization, particularly in engineering. In marketing, decisions come from the top down without clear context on goals, why decisions are made,and why certain things are deemed successful while others are not. Half of your job is socialization and seeking approvals with very little empowerment to drive things forward. Lots of bureaucracy and politics and different perspectives are not valued.

Advice to Management

Live the culture and empower the individuals that you hire to do what you hired them to do.

"Get in, Don't Expect to Stay, Get out quick!"

Former Employee - Content Partner Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Content Partner Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Forward thinking office culture, catered lunches and snacks, nice vacation/maternity/paternity leave policies. You get to work on a product that everyone consumes and is passionate about. Peers are smart and talented (for the most part). People are interested in your job and want to talk about it.

Cons

Culture of fear, office politics and weak leadership make for a stressful experience. Turnover is high, so expect to say goodbye to colleagues frequently. Firings (in my experience) have been trivial and never a true reflection of overall performance- after all, we work everyday with these people. Brain drain since nobody stays longer than a couple years. I have witnessed multiple people leave (without being fired) for better opportunities. In my opinion, with all the optimization and automation, the department will need to be scaled down in the upcoming future. Not the place if you want job security. Very little to zero potential to grow or advance your role.

Advice to Management

Your attitudes and policies advance the culture of fear and office politics. Improve your leadership strategy and resources and combat the office politics you help linger.

"Not good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, time off, some nice people...

Cons

Random firings, no job security, arrogant management, long hours, etc.

Advice to Management

Get yourself grounded.

"Love this place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- tons of freedom, treated like adults
    - amazing coworkers, all experts in their fields. everyone pulls their weight
    - open / honest feedback is given to each other regularly
    - exciting challenges, disrupting media/entertainment industry

Cons

- the level of ambiguity is not for everyone
    - you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role. I've made peace... it creates an environment where everyone is exceptional and not resting on their laurels. digging into why it happened dozens of times, I've always agreed with the managers decision when I have all the facts.

7. "Creative Services"

Former Contractor - Creative Services Designer in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Contractor - Creative Services Designer in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Netflix is an amazing place to work. What surprised me most is the culture, how different it is to other companies, and how well it works.

Cons

I found it challenging as a contract worker to find opportunities to become a full-time employee of the company.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring from within when conducting interviews for a new position. There are many well qualified and hardworking contract workers right under your nose :)

8. ""Culture Deck" is Real, Incredible Place"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom and responsibility is real. Exceptional colleagues are top performers and fully formed adults. Incredibly agile and open minded company

Cons

Average performance earns generous severance. I have no problem with this this, but you will see colleagues fired.

Advice to Management

Vigilance to maintain culture as Netflix scales is critical. Leadership is doing a great job at this, but can't ever let up the pressure or risk becoming a slow moving behemoth.

"Politics over hard work."

Former Employee - Marketing in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Freedom & responsibility, creative atmosphere, free lunch and snacks

Cons

Freedom & responsibility on a superficial level, lots of politicking and waiting for people to dig their own graves, not much support or nurturing of talent

Advice to Management

Put aside your own insecurities and recognize talent, let people shine, it doesn't take light away from you, it enhances your genius.

"Not great - Super great on resume though!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Plan, Salary, Lunch served daily, Relaxed dress code, Everyone is friendly, SNACKS

Cons

There's a reason the benefits package is so great. You will be afraid and you will stress about your job constantly. If you're lucky, you'll be in the right department, but more likely you won't be given really any training. If you do make it past the six month mark without being let go you will only last to about a year or so before you will need to move on. Most of the people you got hired with will be gone within two months and they were all excellent workers. Not okay - scary.

Definitely take the job so it gets on your resume. It will open doors as other companies are starting to pick up on the fact that Netflix is awesome at recruiting (every excellent candidate on a job hunt knows the name and applies), but this company is BAD at keeping these people.

I wish you good luck and work YOUR BUM OFF because it won't last.

Advice to Management

You manage the company poorly. Autonomy is great as long a there is some sort of check in system and it's not all a political crap storm where the new people aren't actually helped.

"Trapped & Talented"

Current Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lunch, healthcare, experience and unlimited vacations.

Cons

No growth and the culture IS too good to be true, we live and breed fear.

Advice to Management

Management fears there own position that they can't efficiently manage their team.