Netflix Reviews in Los Gatos, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
Cons
  • This in turn creates a culture of fear where people are constantly stressing out that they are "not doing enough" and might be fired any minute (in 21 reviews)

• you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 46 reviews)

1. "The lack of diversity and lack of initiatives to change this is depressing"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, fun projects, shuttles to many places in the Bay Area. If you're full-time the culture makes it easy to make your little slice of work your own.

Cons

They treat contractors like crap. Well at least this is the case in the department I was in. You are hamstrung by being a contractor and not having access to all information, not even knowing that you need access to this information or not even realizing you are missing information until it's too late. That might not be a problem for all contract positions, but as a project manager, it's essential that we are least made of aware of any news that might possibly affect the components we are in charge of.

The diversity is tragic. It's not as bad as many other Bay Area tech companies, but there is a lot of instances where one sibling gets another one in, one spouse will get another one in, friends from previous employment hire each other to recreate whatever made them leave the original company, etc.

I worked in a department with mainly an international team and when I started there were several comments made by my coworkers about how, because of my nationality, I therefore couldn't possibly understand certain issues like internationalization. I found several of the people to be very condescending if you didn't come from X school or worked at Y company.

The lack of feedback from your manager is non-existent. Again this might just be a contractor thing but for me I found that the majority of my coworkers were happy with my work, my stakeholders were happy with my work, I'd received kudos from my manager, etc. Then when a full-time position came available I applied and was essentially told by my manager that I wasn't good enough. I won't argue that decision because it's subjective but isn't it the Netflix policy that if a manager isn't happy with their employee it's best to just let them go and then find the best fit? After all, if I'm not good enough to be at Netflix then why are still keeping me around? I can only speculate as to the reasons so it's not even worth me writing them here.

Also in general, I know very few contractors since the time I've been here who have been converted to full-time. Some have been here as long as 2 years or longer.

Advice to Management

Don't say you are committed to diversity if you really aren't paying attention to the hiring practices of the B and C level managers who are all too often just hiring their buddies.

Netflix is scaling rapidly with new people and new products. My suggestion would be to find a way to facilitate interdepartmental learnings, this way you don't run the risk of people duplicating efforts.

"Fool's Gold"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

* Great pay
    * Smart coworkers
    * Good product
    * Business casual dress code

Cons

* With no ladders or levels your performance is 100% based on your direct manager's perception of you.
    * Every person interprets, and practices, the culture deck differently which means you could have a very different experience based on the team you are hired into.
    * Lots of gossip - people try to pass it off as "gathering feedback." Conversations are never truly over or resolved.
    * Recruiting/HR weighs heavily on hiring decisions (the culture piece), however, they have the worst turnover out of any of the teams at Netflix (maybe not so great at assessing culture fit).
    * Recruiters will tell you, "We have the same turnover as any company our size in the Bay Area it's just that our approach is different." However, no one in recruiting can give a specific number as it relates to "normal" attrition.
    * No referral bonus
    * Not enough diversity
    * Quick to fire people and make them think it was their decision.

Advice to Management

* Don't just promote people into management roles because of tenure.
    * If a team has high turnover, it's time to do something about the management of that team.
    * The "Keeper" test should not just be actively used on IC's but all levels of management as well.

"Have a backup plan"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Many of the people who work here are top performers. Many companies say they only hire the best yet it feels more consistent here. High bar to get in. Free snacks and flexible time.

Cons

Management can and will fire you for any reason they want. Don't make the mistake thinking it can only be performance related. There are no guidelines to how long it takes to terminate you. Before you know a pink slip may be handed to you. I saw people get fired without anyone understanding why.

Corporate culture wants people who strive to make the company better. Most are simply yes-men to keep their high salary job.

Not very diverse. Walk around campus for 5 minutes and it's clear the demographic they target.

"Great Company, Inexperienced Management"

Current Employee - Purchasing in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product, Driven culture, Cross Team Collaboration.

Cons

There are a couple of cons that seem to be proving to become obstacles for productivity. My Director loves to bully and has fired the valuable individuals on our team. She is afraid of anyone that is smarter than her that also contributes and gets recognized for their contribution. Instead of building a great team, sadly this Director manages two unrelated teams with no knowledge on how to manage either. She thrives on driving fear. Sad as most of the people here are genuinely great people.

Advice to Management

Don't sacrifice two great teams for a poor director.

"It's not "if" you will be let go, it's "when"."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leeway to learn and gain experience with diverse technology.
    Pay was above market.
    Work with fantastic people.
    Free subscription & good "product".

Cons

People are treated like toilet paper. It is not a "family", this is true, but it is not a "team", either. The group I worked in processed hires & fires access rights: I have never seen so many people fired, without warning, while they were ON vacation - leaving our group to receive and deal with calls from confused people (some of them Directors of hubs), who returned ready for work to no access and no information on what was happening.
    Lousy communication between groups.
    Excessively High turnover - instead of leveraging employee knowledge & experience - people are overworked, used up, & thrown out like trash - the alumni group should read "NETFLIX PTSD Group".
    80 hr work week *minimum*.
    No work-life balance.
    I had 4 managers in 1year of employment & the entire team I was on was replaced during that time and (you guessed it) one of the most awesome employees was fired while he was *ON* vacation: *THAT* was extremely awkward, as he was stellar...it was just a regime change.

Advice to Management

As if they care what former employees think: Treat people like human beings and show some basic respect. Have *meaningful* employee-management meetings and encourage open communication instead of the "keep doing what you're doing" until people are blindsided by termination.

"Great place with high rewards and risks"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous Compensation.
    High productivity enivronment, you can feel sense of accomplishment.

Cons

Culture of Fear.
    There is no second warning. But you are let go.

"Highly political culture, dysfunctional."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and the Netflix name helps on your resume, since most people outside do not know how bad it is inside.

Cons

Mind numbing. Stress. Constantly watching your back. There are people who have very high title (Directors, Managers, even VPs) who got it because they've managed to stay there the longest. Not because they are qualified for the job. The long timer/oldtimers survived by CYA each others. Those who they think are dangerous to their job will get the knife in the back.

It's not how good you are. It's how well you "play the game" and "fit in with the political culture". They value "safe" decisions that do not rock the boat. At least in the IT Ops dept that I worked in.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the cloud once in a while. There's real problem underneath. Engineering got tired of the dysfunctional IT Ops group, and built their own infrastructure so they don't have to deal with incompetent people.

Best thing to do is fire everyone in Ops, and start fresh.

"Was once a Superstar now very much adrift."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly New Technology, Smart Talent, Free food and iphones. This place will certainly wow you in technology and some of the best talent, Good compensation.

Cons

lousy vacation policy(get real, no vacation policy - no vacation), very stressful work environment, little to no career opportunities if you are hired as an engineer, Chaos everywhere - High Turnover always affects your work one way or the other.

Advice to Management

About time you should check your champion badge, it may have expired. Qwikster was a debacle. But the hiring cycle afterwards brought some worse incompetent middle management. Open door policy and summary dismissals might have worked for us in the past when we were a DVD business, but it definitely is hurting us - Bay is a very small place. Your talent is leaving(or about to leave), others are simply not interested in working with us. If you dont believe me, ask why recruiters always have to bring talent from outside silicon valley. Promote openness, talent and healthy work environment - not mediocre middle management's words. Please bring back the culture from 3 years ago.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

* Best place if you just want to work with great technically capable folks.
    * 15-20% higher pay but if you actually consider everything, it might not be that big of a deal. Check what will be in-hand salary after taxes because taxes also go high with salary.
    * Somewhat transparent workplace but at times higher management takes ridiculous decisions like Quickster, what the hell....
    * Reed gets thing right most of the time (except Quickster) and understand what he is doing.

Cons

* Worst place where all technically capable folks are also so heavy on political games within the team. Also it depends on which team you are part of. My general observation is, larger the team greater the politics being played within.
    * IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are. I have seen ppl being walked out they were far more talented than other mediocre engineers surviving there for 3-4 years just because they lick the managers a*s and I have seen managers loving it being licked :)
    * Few managers who came from Google or some other similar companies, think that they know everything in the world and act as if they rule the world but actually they are literally dumb a*s when it comes to real work.
    * They claim it is all rockstar engineers and the fire who are not but I have seen ppl surviving for ages not even knowing what they did for all these years at Netflix and they are pure mediocre engineers.
    * My advice to engineers would be if you are happy with the work what you are doing right now or with other offers in hand, don't fall for the salary trap, it is merely an illusion.

Advice to Management

* Gets rid of all mediocre managers, directors and those stupid engineers.
    * Change the culture of fear from its root because that creates so much politics inside. I have never seen such a political environment in my 10 yrs career.

"Worrisome. Always feeling that I was going to be next."

Former Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Freedom and Responsibility
    -Able to telecommute

Cons

-Very (VERY) cut throat
    -Upper management doesn't support staff
    -HR allows upper management to oust existing employees when a new director is hired and wants to bring his former staff over

Advice to Management

-Show a little more respect towards employees that actually follow the company values and culture
    -Management does not practice what they preach (my 360 review from my manager was awesome, however, I managed to hear through the grapevine that he was unhappy with my performance)