Netflix Reviews in Los Gatos, CA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
Cons
  • you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 48 reviews)

• Finance lives in a culture of fear (in 21 reviews)

"The best job I've had, and at times, the worst job I've had"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Netflix has some great pros. You'll be working with mostly extremely competent people. Dealing with teams within the company is extremely easy, as most people are very helpful and efficient. They pay you a lot of money, and give you perks like free food, paid cell phone bill, 401k, etc. This is all great, but for me, the biggest draw is always people, and your team will make or break your experience here, so make sure you know what you are getting into at the interview, and don't accept jobs with teams that you don't feel excited about being part of.

Cons

The high salary leads some people to ramp up their lifestyles, they then become dependent on being here. This in turn creates a culture of fear where people are constantly stressing out that they are "not doing enough" and might be fired any minute. This also extends to the directors of teams, and when your management is stressed, it will always trickle down to create a lousy experience for you.
    This makes for an extremely toxic environment at times where teams are often working on similar projects, thus competing against each other to stay relevant, which is just utter idiocy. The high pay ensures that there is way more politicking than would be needed or appropriate in such situations. This in turn can have a very demoralizing effect on the peons doing the actual work, who often feel compelled to work on nights, weekends and public holidays for goals that are often vague, and projects that are often shelved. The most insidious effect of this is observed when people contemplate taking PTO, when many employees have told me that they weren't able to relax or take as much time off as they needed, as they were constantly wondering what would happen to their jobs, and whether or not they were doing enough to "deserve" time off. If you've never felt this, it's a rotten state of mind, and you will feel it quite a bit here.
    Many times, I've felt the need to quit the field altogether, but the money and my team makes me stay for now, so I'll likely stay till my team changes.

Moral of the story here is: You'll get paid a lot. You'll also likely be laid off sooner than you expect. You'll also likely make a LOT less at your next place. Adjust for your standard of living appropriately so you can keep your head above the circus fray, and don't get used to the good things.

Advice to Management

More communication with your teams is absolutely essential if you want to retain good people, but you don't need a Glassdoor review to tell you that. Empower your HR teams to instill the idea that taking time off is a healthy part of working here, and no one should feel nervous about taking time off. You will need to say this many times before it becomes part of the culture.

Ensure that teams are not competing against each other, specifically in the Engineering department. We are not here to throw each other off our respective ladders, but to learn, and to help the company grow as a result of what we learn here. Cross-collaboration between teams should be of the utmost priority, not working at cross-purposes as is the case with many teams now.

For the most part, this is a good place to be. Make it better, and make more of an effort at every level to keep the organization flat. We already have job insecurity, we do not need hierarchy to make it worse.

"good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High-performing culture
    Unlimited vacation
    Pick your time to work
    Great pay

Cons

High performing culture
    If you get a manager that micro-manages it becomes annoying
    Too date driven while sacrificing quality - for a QA professional that's hard to take

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Meals provided and snacks; which is awesome since we are constantly working.
    Flexible.

Cons

Culture deck is whack. Freedom of responsibility is whack. A lot of favoritism is practiced and communication amongst team does not exist. Management does not communicate on changes only to secure job security.
    Always have to watch your back, two faced monsters

Advice to Management

Need to listen to all employees, not just management.

"Use them, don't let them use you!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Top of the line pay
    +Great benefits package
    +Free catered meals+snacks (vending machines here dispense electronics!)
    +Lots of free swag and of course a free account
    +"Freedom and responsibility"

+Once you move on from Netflix, it's very easy to get a job anywhere else once you have Netflix on YOUR resume.

Cons

Amount of office politics and favoritism is downright ridiculous.

They encourage "transparency" but the moment you speak out too much or to the wrong person, you automatically have a bullseye on you. Yes, people are often let go all the time with very little context or insight.

Netflix culture stresses "stunning colleagues" but in reality, it's a very superficial environment where people who suck up to the right people or "SAY YES" types are the only ones who do well.

Oh and despite being a "fast moving" company, there's little room for internal growth. What you get hired in as will most likely be your one and only position with the company.

Advice to Management

As a salaried employee, there's no reason why you need to treat hourly employees so poorly (no stock options, no unlimited PTO policy, etc.)

"Great product, OK culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great product
    - Top-of-market compensation
    - Flexible hours
    - Rapid expansion
    - The reaction you get when you tell people you work for Netflix

Cons

- "Culture of fear"
    - Office politics
    - Ambiguous vacation policy works against employees (many work over major holidays)
    - Difficult personalities and poor alignment/coordination between departments
    - Limited room for growth and internal mobility
    - Subservient attitude toward management

Advice to Management

While a culture of fear increases productivity, it can encourage finger pointing and stifle creativity.

"Officially a big company"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, free lunches, flexible hours, no weekends, brilliant co-workers

Cons

I have worked for Netflix for several years and I can honestly say that a lot of the groups now including where I was has started managing up. The transparency is slowly eroding. Opinions are still accepted but disregarded under the guise of management speak. Quality is no longer a standard for shipping products. It's now the need to be perceived as "fast" regardless. Management has run amok and the standard of hiring managers has plummeted. I left on my own accord just so that people don't think it's another disgruntled employee.

Advice to Management

Whether intentional or unintentional not listening to the people with experience and history of how the group works will eventually make the culture deck obsolete. Discouraging people to directly talk and speak their mind and making unilateral condition without a concrete plan will eventually catch up to you.

"Ok place to work. Very little training."

Former Contractor - IT Dispacher in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Contractor - IT Dispacher in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very tech savvy environment. Everyone gets a cell phone when hired including contractors. Lots of technical goodies to play with. Launch day parties were cool. Most people seemed laid back. Unlimited vacation.

Cons

Very little training for the job, with minimal direction. I felt like I was just thrown in and expected to swim.

Advice to Management

More training and support for the employees. More structure.

"Haste makes waste, and don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open engineering discussions.
    Love new technologies.
    Willing to take on risks.

Cons

Willing to take on risks but mistakes are costly.

Advice to Management

Slow down, don't try to force round pegs into square holes.

"Sword of Damocles"

Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great physical work environment in Los Gatos
    - great co workers: highly motivated, intelligent, impressive experiences. Netflix hires people at the peak of their games
    - at the time (2007-2010), it was an exciting time of growth in the online streaming space, with consistent growth in the DVD space; fun to be on the cutting edge, and high growth.
    - great compensation; employees are well paid

Cons

- there is a constant sword of damocles (i.e. the threat of removal) hanging over your head. even when you think you are doing well, you can be released unexpectedly, at a moment's notice. (this results in a culture of fear)
    - there is no career path; Netflix hires you to perform a job, and once that job is over, it's easier for them to let you go rather than retrain or relocate you.
    - this is not the place to be if you want work/life balance; not family friendly

Advice to Management

- missteps from a year ago (i.e. 2011 - Qwikster) have caused a loss of confidence in management
    - there are still lots of people in the US that want to rent DVDs; much better selection, and much better accessibility. It feel like Netflix is now content to ignore them and move on. What happened to the great customer service that built the brand?

"Powerful brand, unpleasant place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Great brand
    Disciplined
    Focused
    Good at execution and keeping schedules

Cons

Performance driven culture = culture of fear and suppression
    Few chances for development or advancement
    Management does not seem to care about employees as people
    Not at all a fun place to work, very hard to build relationships

Advice to Management

Be more humble
    Use more advanced technology
    Manage down instead of expecting staff to manage up