Netflix Reviews in Los Gatos, CA | Glassdoor

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Freedom and Responsibility. Fast paced."

Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix (More than 5 years)

Pros

Affords a great deal of autonomy

Cons

Not a lot of internally offered formal development

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on diversity (ethnic and gender)

"Great product, great company, great culture, with a few kinks"

Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Total freedom to do outstanding work if you are up to the task. Great coworkers and colloberative environment to supply the best entertainment possible anywhere, any time all over the world.

Cons

Having that freedom to excel comes the same freedom for everybody else, including your boss. If they just don't like you they have the freedom to fire you without any buy in from anybody else. They have complete freedom to do so without any solid justification, no matter how good everybody else thinks you are. Hence frequent shock when people hear so and so got fired when everybody that worked with them thought they were a rock star. This is setting the seed for large scale office politics.

Advice to Management

Continue the stellar work, Netflix is going gang busters. Continue to work on those barriers to entry. Keep a close eye on the culture, of course it will evolve but steer it in the right direction constantly. Also because senior execs have been at the company a long time does not necessarily mean they are the right fit for the company currently.

"Fast paced, high performing, high turnover, engineering-first"

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Netflix, it's a bold company to work for and you are surrounded by people who are passionate about what they do. I always say the health of the company starts at the top and Reed Hastings is someone I highly respect as he can see through people's BS and keeps those around him honest. He's the kind of person that will give you personal and professional advice even at an all hands with hundreds of people in attendance. The work will feel like you're being 'thrown to the fire' due to the culture of high performance and no subscribed process, but if you know what you're doing and stay dedicated to your team's goals in a productive manner, you should be fine.

Cons

While there are incredibly bright and talented designers at Netflix, I learned through my time there that this company was an engineering-first company. I mean, look at how long it took them to change the logo and get some design standards going. Design often times felt like a luxury than a necessity and there was a bit too much dependency on A/B testing to make decisions. I swear, I heard "have we A/B tested this yet?" in my dreams. A few times, I would point out that the results of the A/B test resulted in bad design solutions. It just seemed like upper management didn't understand design. As long as people are watching content and streaming patterns are on the up, then don't rock the boat. Also, watch out for those who play politics, sometimes the drama that plays out on projects or team dynamics is just unreal and some people just want to be the hero and get Reed Hasting's blessing. Unfortunately, there are some "brilliant jerks" in the company, learn to work around them and get stuff done right! Lastly, if you want a more life/work balance, this is probably not the place for you. I had some coworkers who didn't see their kids for days.

Advice to Management

Everyone looks so serious at work, address this lack of fun or effect on morale. Also, make design matter more to the business.

4. "SRE Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom and responsibility, very transparent, well respected, hefty base salary. flexibility with work hours. specific responsibilities.

Cons

There is no concept of bonus. medical and health benefits are not there either. You are responsible for your area of tasks and hardly find someone covering for you. you will be an expect and also kind of silo'd

Advice to Management

I don't have any specific advice to management other than that Director and above are given way too much freedom to do whatever they want and not considering the senior employees

5. "Great company"

Former Employee - Data Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Data Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great company, nice technology stack

Cons

Can not think of any cons

Advice to Management

Keep at it.

"Netflix hires the cream of the crop... But be prepared to work hard!"

Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

High Salary
    Great co-workers
    Beautiful South Bay location
    Relatively "small" company
    Free hot lunch, stocked kitchen
    Lots of SWAG
    Great PTO policy

Cons

Lack of internal growth opportunities
    Stock "options" not "shares"
    High turnover - can be cut throat
    Lack of diversity
    No recognized holidays.
    Double standards for executive staff.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate prioritites and distribute the wealth more evenly.

"Company is maturing"

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and perks are amazing.. office food&snacks, unlimited vacation, one year maternity leave, amazing leadership by Reed.

Cons

No mentorship, no at the job training. Hard to get promotion because they will simply go out and hire someone instead of internally developing people

"Exciting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation,Perks,401k Match , winning in their market

Cons

No cons as of now. keep up the good work

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"Fast pace and fair"

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of rumors about how Netflix treats its employees. The culture deck you see on the job site is real. The management team expects you to be a stellar performer, but you CAN make mistakes in the name of learning. However, if you don't learn quickly from the mistake you made, you are in trouble.

You have a lot of freedom and responsibilities to help company move forward. Things also change so quickly that what you think is true last quarter may not be a month from now. Stay ahead of the curve and be prepared to defend your opinion with data and facts.

Cons

There are some politics in the marketing department. The CMO comes from a big movie studio, so he believes in flashy commercials and campaigns. There is a constant need to prove your team's worthiness which can be mind numbing.

Advice to Management

Talent pool is scarce in the valley. Treat them well by what the company preaches. Don't turn into Amazon!

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work if you're genuinely interested in the success of your coworkers and are able to clearly see the connection between that and the success of the business.

Freedom and responsibility is definitely practiced here. No one will hand you a project, deadlines, and a specific way to go about doing your work. They trust that they've hired the best people to do the job and they leave it up to the individual to identify problems and figure out how to solve them. This sort of environment is not for everyone, because you have to build strong enough relationships with your coworkers so they'd go to bat for you on your projects. Team-building isn't a company-mandated activity here. It's an everyday practice and an integral part of the job.

Feedback is candid and immediate, so get ready. There's no sugarcoating here. To be successful here, you have to be open to criticism, no matter how direct. This, again, might not work for everyone, but it makes your next course of action very clear, as opposed to sugarcoated feedback that leaves you confused as to what you should do.

Cons

Netflix gets a bad rap, because it's not for everyone. The fact is, that's not necessarily a bad thing, and there's no shame in trying something out and seeing if it works out for you. What appears difficult about Netflix is exactly what makes it a great place to work. You have to be able to manage yourself, no one will manage your time for you.

While the company is not as diverse as it could be, the commitment to diversity is something I've witnessed first-hand from leadership and employees alike. The tone is set that diversifying the company is a part of everyone's job at Netflix, not just the recruiting team.

If you need someone to manage your time for you, need your tasks to be very clear and outlined by a manager, or you can't handle feedback, then Netflix isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Continue fostering employee relationships, and emphasize the importance of making those connections as early as possible in an employee's journey.