Netflix Reviews in Los Gatos, CA | Glassdoor

Netflix Los Gatos Reviews

Updated February 8, 2017

Los Gatos, CA

Pros
Cons
  • This in turn creates a culture of fear where people are constantly stressing out that they are "not doing enough" and might be fired any minute (in 21 reviews)

• you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 46 reviews)

1. "Assistant Supervisor Customer Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, maintaining the values and working hard is key components to working for this company.

Cons

Room to move up could be challenging.

"Freedom"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to choose solution path and coordinate to accomplish one's goals is something everyone has an opportunity to experience. Micro management is not in the DNA of management at Netflix.

Cons

Choosing wrong or failing to communicate effectively can have career limiting side effects. It is true that one is given the opportunity to fail and learn from those mistakes, but it should not be taken lightly. One has a limited number of silver bullets that can be spent on mistakes.

Advice to Management

Empathy for challenges undertaken can create the kind of support needed to fuel confidence to succeed under enormous pressure and complexity.

"Use them, don't let them use you!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Top of the line pay
    +Great benefits package
    +Free catered meals+snacks (vending machines here dispense electronics!)
    +Lots of free swag and of course a free account
    +"Freedom and responsibility"

+Once you move on from Netflix, it's very easy to get a job anywhere else once you have Netflix on YOUR resume.

Cons

Amount of office politics and favoritism is downright ridiculous.

They encourage "transparency" but the moment you speak out too much or to the wrong person, you automatically have a bullseye on you. Yes, people are often let go all the time with very little context or insight.

Netflix culture stresses "stunning colleagues" but in reality, it's a very superficial environment where people who suck up to the right people or "SAY YES" types are the only ones who do well.

Oh and despite being a "fast moving" company, there's little room for internal growth. What you get hired in as will most likely be your one and only position with the company.

Advice to Management

As a salaried employee, there's no reason why you need to treat hourly employees so poorly (no stock options, no unlimited PTO policy, etc.)

5. "Global Learning and Development Curriculum Developer, e-learning"

Current Employee - Global Learning and Development Curriculum Developer, E-learning in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant team of fellow employees

Cons

I don't have any cons at this time.

"Have a backup plan"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Many of the people who work here are top performers. Many companies say they only hire the best yet it feels more consistent here. High bar to get in. Free snacks and flexible time.

Cons

Management can and will fire you for any reason they want. Don't make the mistake thinking it can only be performance related. There are no guidelines to how long it takes to terminate you. Before you know a pink slip may be handed to you. I saw people get fired without anyone understanding why.

Corporate culture wants people who strive to make the company better. Most are simply yes-men to keep their high salary job.

Not very diverse. Walk around campus for 5 minutes and it's clear the demographic they target.

"Smart people, culture built on candor"

Former Employee - Senior Research Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open communication across teams and departments, incredible pay, decent lunches, very little process slowing you down

Cons

High standards mean you'll see coworkers frequently get fired and worry the first six months about where you stand

Advice to Management

Make it clear to new employees when they are doing well to ease concerns about being let go

"Great product, OK culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great product
    - Top-of-market compensation
    - Flexible hours
    - Rapid expansion
    - The reaction you get when you tell people you work for Netflix

Cons

- "Culture of fear"
    - Office politics
    - Ambiguous vacation policy works against employees (many work over major holidays)
    - Difficult personalities and poor alignment/coordination between departments
    - Limited room for growth and internal mobility
    - Subservient attitude toward management

Advice to Management

While a culture of fear increases productivity, it can encourage finger pointing and stifle creativity.

"Impact"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

There's no doubt that you'd be hard pressed to find a different job where you can have as much impact. Pay is amazing, growth of pay is excellent too. The culture isn't just a deck, it is preached and practiced for the most part.

Cons

If you work hard you'll grow your role, but you may not grow your title. Some people have been there increasing their scope for years with no title bump. Pay is != title at Netflix

Advice to Management

It's understandable wanting to keep a flat organization, but having managers report to managers, directors to directors, VP's to VP's is not flat. Work on true succession planning, and invest in the career growth of those proving their value. Not just in pay, but personal growth as well.

"Best people around"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Netflix feels a little like working at a startup. You are given a lot of freedom, depending on where you work, to improve things as you see them. There is a free snack bar and fridges full of drinks on all floors and buildings, if thats important to you. Very laid back on what time you come and go, as long as it doesn't impact your results, and they will not tolerate brilliant people around if they are jerks also. Socially you will make a lot of new friends and dont be surprised if they ask you to join outside of work for weekend BBQs etc.

Cons

Being results and data driven, sometimes causes higherups to try different strategies and they will often change their minds and direction. This leads to inefficiencies and frustrations.
    While they officially have a "take as long vacation as you like" policy, some people were let go a few weeks after coming back from taking their first vacation in years.

"My 2 Years at Netflix..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

I just hit my 2 year mark at Netflix, and it has been great thus far. It has been quite the whirlwind and learning experience, and I continue to be challenged every day. The partnerships I have formed are immeasurable, and to be involved with a company changing the way entertainment content is consumed is pretty exciting.

Biggest pro in my eyes to working here has been the people. My colleagues truly are "stunning" as the culture deck highlights. Really some of the best in the business, and everyone I collaborate with has a clear passion and drive for their work.

Although we move at lightning speed, it pushes me to excel, and not simply coast through the day to day grind.

Cons

Sometimes we forget to celebrate/recognize our major accomplishments because we are always moving towards the next best thing.