Netflix Reviews in Los Gatos, CA | Glassdoor

Updated September 22, 2017

Los Gatos, CA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "The lack of diversity and lack of initiatives to change this is depressing"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, fun projects, shuttles to many places in the Bay Area. If you're full-time the culture makes it easy to make your little slice of work your own.

Cons

They treat contractors like crap. Well at least this is the case in the department I was in. You are hamstrung by being a contractor and not having access to all information, not even knowing that you need access to this information or not even realizing you are missing information until it's too late. That might not be a problem for all contract positions, but as a project manager, it's essential that we are least made of aware of any news that might possibly affect the components we are in charge of.

The diversity is tragic. It's not as bad as many other Bay Area tech companies, but there is a lot of instances where one sibling gets another one in, one spouse will get another one in, friends from previous employment hire each other to recreate whatever made them leave the original company, etc.

I worked in a department with mainly an international team and when I started there were several comments made by my coworkers about how, because of my nationality, I therefore couldn't possibly understand certain issues like internationalization. I found several of the people to be very condescending if you didn't come from X school or worked at Y company.

The lack of feedback from your manager is non-existent. Again this might just be a contractor thing but for me I found that the majority of my coworkers were happy with my work, my stakeholders were happy with my work, I'd received kudos from my manager, etc. Then when a full-time position came available I applied and was essentially told by my manager that I wasn't good enough. I won't argue that decision because it's subjective but isn't it the Netflix policy that if a manager isn't happy with their employee it's best to just let them go and then find the best fit? After all, if I'm not good enough to be at Netflix then why are still keeping me around? I can only speculate as to the reasons so it's not even worth me writing them here.

Also in general, I know very few contractors since the time I've been here who have been converted to full-time. Some have been here as long as 2 years or longer.

Advice to Management

Don't say you are committed to diversity if you really aren't paying attention to the hiring practices of the B and C level managers who are all too often just hiring their buddies.

Netflix is scaling rapidly with new people and new products. My suggestion would be to find a way to facilitate interdepartmental learnings, this way you don't run the risk of people duplicating efforts.

"Netflix hires the cream of the crop... But be prepared to work hard!"

Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

High Salary
    Great co-workers
    Beautiful South Bay location
    Relatively "small" company
    Free hot lunch, stocked kitchen
    Lots of SWAG
    Great PTO policy

Cons

Lack of internal growth opportunities
    Stock "options" not "shares"
    High turnover - can be cut throat
    Lack of diversity
    No recognized holidays.
    Double standards for executive staff.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate prioritites and distribute the wealth more evenly.

"Fool's Gold"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

* Great pay
    * Smart coworkers
    * Good product
    * Business casual dress code

Cons

* With no ladders or levels your performance is 100% based on your direct manager's perception of you.
    * Every person interprets, and practices, the culture deck differently which means you could have a very different experience based on the team you are hired into.
    * Lots of gossip - people try to pass it off as "gathering feedback." Conversations are never truly over or resolved.
    * Recruiting/HR weighs heavily on hiring decisions (the culture piece), however, they have the worst turnover out of any of the teams at Netflix (maybe not so great at assessing culture fit).
    * Recruiters will tell you, "We have the same turnover as any company our size in the Bay Area it's just that our approach is different." However, no one in recruiting can give a specific number as it relates to "normal" attrition.
    * No referral bonus
    * Not enough diversity
    * Quick to fire people and make them think it was their decision.

Advice to Management

* Don't just promote people into management roles because of tenure.
    * If a team has high turnover, it's time to do something about the management of that team.
    * The "Keeper" test should not just be actively used on IC's but all levels of management as well.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Great development culture, tons of opportunity, big problems, lots of independence - the motto "freedom and responsibility" is not just a platitude.

Cons

Make sure you agree with the Netflix Culture Deck - if you don't you won't be successful.

"Rockstar coworkers, freedom and responsibility"

Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rockstar coworkers, no brilliant jerks
    excellent pay, no vacation policy or tracking
    fast paced environment, minimal distractions and no unnecessary process - get loads of work done everyday.
    I can tell my friends I work in showbiz :)

Cons

None that I can think of, really. I guess the culture might take a bit adjusting to if you are not used to it.

"good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High-performing culture
    Unlimited vacation
    Pick your time to work
    Great pay

Cons

High performing culture
    If you get a manager that micro-manages it becomes annoying
    Too date driven while sacrificing quality - for a QA professional that's hard to take

"Company is maturing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and perks are amazing.. office food&snacks, unlimited vacation, one year maternity leave, amazing leadership by Reed.

Cons

No mentorship, no at the job training. Hard to get promotion because they will simply go out and hire someone instead of internally developing people

"Honestly couldn't imagine working somewhere else"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely competent colleagues. Fast-paced. Incredibly transparent. The culture is amazing. Benefits are amazing. Everyone here wants to do a good job. Management is being serious about diversity and it shows in their hiring.

We're given incredibly autonomy to execute how we see best. I've never even heard of a company that gives individual contributors such autonomy!

I bet if we decided to build a spacecraft, we could pivot and have an MVP in orbit by the end of 2017.

It's also pretty neat to work for a movie studio, basically. Certainly much different than most companies in the Valley.

Cons

It's a little far down in the South Bay (Los Gatos), but there's a shuttle from SF.

Deadlines can be intense and you really have to be an advocate for your time. If you're not an assertive person (or can't learn to be) then you will probably be overworked here.

Advice to Management

Make sure to stick to your guns, as far as the culture deck is concerned.

"A culture of high performance can be daunting for some, but worth it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High performance environment - you're given a huge amount of responsibility and ownership to drive your work. You're able to see the direct impact you're making to the company, as a result.

The company is incredibly transparent -- everyone in the company, no matter the "level," could tell you our business direction.

Stunning colleagues. High bar for hiring, so you're working amongst smart, driven, and passionate folks.

Cons

High-performance environment -- expectations are high and you run full-speed, most of the time.
    Not the right kind of environment for everyone.

"Great people and culture"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- High density of smart, talented people
    - High pay
    - Transparent approach to policy

Cons

- Little bit of a kool-aid atmosphere at times