Netflix Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 19, 2020

4.1
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings
  1. "Great film learning experience"

Current Employee - Commission Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

learned hands-on about being on a big budget tv show set

Cons

Hours were terrible and unpredictable

Netflix2020-01-19
  2. "Amazing company with benefits"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Full transparency, freedom of responsibility, complete exposure and cross collaboration to ignite innovation and inclusion.

Cons

The workload can be overwhelming.

Netflix2020-01-03
  3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Construction Business Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working there really is better than any other place I have worked. Great benefits, great work/life balance, in an environment where you work with the best of the best. Pay is amazing.

Cons

They want you to have good judgement which really means guess exactly how we want you to act and behave and if you don’t you get fired and we’ll send out an email to everybody with why you were fired.

Advice to Management

Require at least a paper trail of why engineering managers are firing employees.

Netflix2020-01-09

"Amazing company for growth"

Current Employee - Vendor Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exposure to a lot of interesting challenges. No day is the same. A lot of room for professional and personal growth. Some amazing colleagues who work selflessly and make the team an awesome place to contribute to.

Cons

Long hours. Priorities change frequently. Constant pivoting can lead to change fatigue. Not everyone embraces the company values the same way. Some people take advantage of the 'freedom' part of Freedom and Responsibility. Culture differences between LA and LG offices.

Netflix2019-11-09

"Good Culture, But No Growth"

Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunch / snacks / beverages. Decent health care package + maternity / paternity leave. Company culture.

Cons

High-pressure. Little-to-no managerial guidance ("Freedom and Responsibility"). Little-to-no-growth. High focus on upholding cultural values at the detriment to efficiency or impact. No focus on team or personal morale.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees; grow them professionally rather than hiring talent externally for every role needed to open. Steady the structure of the company rather than constant reorganization.

Netflix2019-11-01

"It's a great place to work"

Current Employee - Event Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The freedom and responsibility culture in practice allows you the space to do your best work.

Cons

It's a high performance company and the pace at which we move is exhilarating but can be daunting for newer folks.

Netflix2019-08-27

"Beautiful On Paper, the Reality???"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

The most generous perks and benefits; you have EVERYTHING you need to do your job and WORK WORK WORK to the bone...

Cons

Cult-like environment, Poser Colleagues, and "Work Like a Dog" mentality

Advice to Management

It's hard to write this review, I haven't been with the company long - yeah they're all pretty nice and have wide and deep pockets - thanks for that and nothing really to complain about there...it's just kinda "eh ok thanks for the dough" ...but I've been here such a short time and already want to quit despite all the fabulous perks...at the end of the day, you can pay as much as you want, but it's about what really matters in life. If you are looking for any work-life balance and peace, don't come here - they expect your blood, guts and soul - hence the VERY short tenure of employees...I'm expecting to resign soon

Netflix2019-07-22
  8. "Fun but chaotic"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours, smart people, free lunches

Cons

Chaotic at times, division of labor doesn’t make sense, easy to get overwhelmed

Netflix2019-07-02

"Great culture, tech and people!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Pay is great, as are benefits. - Great product getting better - Big on diversity and inclusion. - People are fantastic, really no jerks here! - Solid engineering culture - Small company with little politics, process and BS to contend with. - Easy to get help, everyone makes time and is approachable. - You can accomplish a lot if you are motivated and have good ideas. - The logical thing/decision almost always happens. - Amazing focus in the company, very little distractions - Excellent communication flow. There are no secrets, everything is considered “context” that could help you do your job better.

Cons

(To be clear these are all small cons! Netflix really is great!) - Since it’s a small company that only hires A players, teams and scope can be small. - Could be more customer focused. Big focus on innovation, but primarily through the lens of what the data says and what the business values. This could be more balanced. - Stock option Program is decent, but a little complicated and risky. I would prefer RSU or stock purchase plan instead of options. - Location. Los Gatos is great but pretty far south. Not a great commute for most folks, particularly those living in the city.

Advice to Management

Raise the bar on product innovation. While we have some big ideas, most seem incremental and solution led. Don’t be afraid to put a little more pressure on the teams to deliver. Also, there are benefits to having everyone in LG, but frankly we are growing and need to be able to scale for the future. We should be more open to dev centers in other cities/tech hubs.

Netflix2019-03-12
  10. "Positive"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Great company, innovative and fun

Cons

No cons, great work envoirnment

Netflix2019-02-25