Netflix Operations Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Reed Hastings

"Culture Deck Is Real"

Current Employee - Content Operations Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Being part of an innovative and transparent company has kept me working here for several years. Not only do I love what I do, but what keeps me here is the environment. We live out the culture deck. Politics do not prohibit me from doing my job or speaking out when I have a recommendation on what could be better. Collaboration is encouraged, and it's easy to do when you have high-performing peers and understanding managers.

Cons

None to reference at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the great transparency.

Netflix2014-11-14

"Review"

Operations Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Netflix for more than 8 years

Pros

entry level growth oppurtunites are there

Cons

glass ceiling in terms of long term growth

Netflix2016-03-10
  3. "A great culture to work for"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A company that really cares about their employees, has competitive salaries and excellent benefits. If offered a position I highly suggest you take it.

Cons

There really isn't too much to say on the negative side of things about Netflix. There hasn't been on incidence I can think of that has turned me off about the company

Netflix2014-03-31

"Operations Manager-DVD Hub"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Completely on your own for running the business, making day to day decisions on employees (hiring and firing)

Cons

High pressure, high stress, little to no room for advancement. High turnover in the management ranks and the front line employees get almost no benefuts. You have unlimited vacation but never get a chance to use it. Micromanaged by every person above you unless things fgo wrong-then you are on your won.

Advice to Management

You have great managers int he feild. Let them do the job you hired them to, reward them for the 10-14 hour days, and set back and reap the harvest of their efforts in the feild. Also, as many hub managers as you have turnover, you might need to look at the operational set-up and ask yourself why the average lifesapn of a manager is 12-18 months!!

Netflix2012-11-08
  5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome pay and great benefits

Cons

Long hours, very early mornings

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Netflix2012-06-11

"DO NOT WORK FOR NETFLIX"

Operations Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Netflix

Pros

If you want a free subscription then go for it.

Cons

If there were 25 hours in a day, Netflix would expect you to work all 25. They could care less about you as a person and they DO NOT hold to their core values of honesty and integrity. People are promoted based on political connection rather than real ability. There are no congratulations for a job well done but plenty of abuse when things aren't done to perfection. There are no SOPs for processes and procedures but Regional Managers and Regional Directors will criticize for "not doing it right". It was my worst experience of my professional career.

Advice to Management

Its typical of a company that's run by computer geeks rather than by people with real leadership experience. Leadership through coercion is a contradiction in terms. Start listening to your employees. Double digit turn over rates for salaried employees should speak volumes to you. If HR had been honest when I asked questions about the company before I joined I would never have accepted a position with these people.

Netflix2009-04-03
  7. "Fantastic place to work, but don't put your phone down"

Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very smart, talented coworkers Tons of opportunity if you're willing to work for it One of the most open companies I've ever worked for Moves fast, usually makes the right decisions Still a great value despite all that price increase business Willing to admit they've made mistakes and change direction if need be

Cons

On the job 24/7 Occasional whiplash changes in direction for major projects You'll see some really smart, talented people let go from time to time, due to reorgs, etc.

Advice to Management

Fix your PR problem

Netflix2012-08-02

"They will ride you until your wheels fall off."

Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay Good Benefits Yearly company trip for a week for a meeting Very smart people as co-workers Get to travel to many different locations and experience a lot of different environments Paid relocation

Cons

No work life balance Expected to be service technicians, managers, supervisors, HR point of contact; all at the same time Working 60-80 hours a week is not uncommon High turnover rate and low pay for anyone outside of management Unlimited Vacation......which means you can take vacation, but if your metrics aren't above expectations do not even think about going on vacation Dying business, DVD shipments are dying and the jobs wont be around much longer

Advice to Management

Cost goals are important, but setting unachievable goals do nothing but make the job unbearable.

Netflix2012-07-08

"For Hub Manager -Great Pay, but zero job security or training, or stability."

Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Pay - Challenge - Can't think of another.

Cons

- Nature of the position was not presented accurately before hiring. (they sold it as an HR position, but it was a glorified mechanic/ops manager job). - The turnover is insane. Out of about 65 hubs (at the time), there were about 6 emails about managers who were terminated my first week. That rate was very common. - There is absolutely no training or assistance if you need it. - You are viewed as a commodity. - They feel (and they'll tell you so!) that they can pay you a lot so you can produce fabulous results no matter what. - They fire people for no reason. I believe during the economic downturn maybe they fired a lot of management to replace with cheaper managers, but that may have even been going on before I got there. - They wanted to penalize me for having too many cracked discs in my hub, but couldn't find anything my employees or myself were doing wrong. Offerred no helpful advice, etc. Said we were doing great. Got canned anyway. I always had great reviews, above average everywhere else I've ever worked.

Advice to Management

Realize that turnover costs a lot of money. Either your hiring process is seriously off (and it is), or you need to develop a training/follow up program for management. You aren't getting the results you want with ANY managers? Maybe the common denominator is you.

Netflix2012-06-04

"The pit of Hell"

Regional Operations Manager

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Money was awesome and the work in day to day operations was great.

Cons

As a person, you are treated just as Reed treated his customers, with arrogance and disposable.

Advice to Management

Netflix is gonna run it their way and I have no advice. Who am I to tell them what they should do? Continue on the path of destruction you are on. Im looking forward to the destruction of the company.

Netflix2011-09-26