Netflix CSR-1 Reviews | Glassdoor

Reed Hastings

"Good working environment"

Current Employee - Manager, Physical Production in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits Freedom and responsibility Great colleagues

Cons

Highly demanding and competitive Long hours and crazy schedules

Advice to Management

Special effort on cross functional work

Netflix2019-11-15

"How much does a functioning human cost?"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- Paycheck - So many good people - Such a great service - Hope

Cons

I have been working for a year at Netflix. I've seen what was supposed to be very mature people, sharing absolutely almost no contact that anyone would qualify as "human". Sure, that sounds hyperbolic, let me develop (and maybe cherry-pick a little). Have you heard about our culture? The one about giving candid feedback? - I have seen people complaining of behavior they literally demonstrated themselves in the following days. But I have also seen these feedbacks resulting in tears both in the eyes of HR persons or fellow engineers. How human does that sound? Have you heard about our culture? The one about not tolerating brilliant jerks? I have nonetheless seen angriness and frustration, expressed in private, public and meeting. People rejecting new ideas by default, like, any ideas they wouldn't have worked themselves on for days wouldn't count. Even if those ideas are from the best examples in the industry or academics. How many publications/contributions have you seen from Netflix to computer science in general? How does it compare against any other company of that size in the Bay Area? Can you imagine either the real insecurity (x)or the lack of innovation that could lead to this situation? Except for a few managers, directors or VPs feeling free enough to behave at work in the same way than how they live, almost every engineer I have been interacting with, have shared as little as possible about their private life. The rare exceptions of interpersonal exchange ends up around some sort of competitive behavior: Who is the most geeky, sportive, owns the fastest car/biggest house/visited the strangest place. I've heard workaholic people complaining about ambitious peers who were over-managing, over-working to get even more work to do after. I feel like we're past workaholism at this point. Maybe there are a lot of shy people! Maybe there is a culture of fear, not only of being fired, but also a fear of interacting with people going to be fired. Maybe it's all in my head, maybe people giving 5 stars to their experience here don't care the human aspect of a company. And maybe they're right. What about your crush, your fears, your desires for the future, your appetite for life? I've been blessed to work in enough large companies to know that the behavior that I'm seeing in Netflix is not a healthy one. I've also been lucky enough to work in other industries more socializing than tech and I can tell that Netflix has a lot to do on that side, and off-sites or team meeting won't solve that problem. I am afraid about the tragic, but inevitable consequences of the ways people operate in this company: I guess that the day the worst will happen, it will be addressed in an impersonal memo by Reed; followed-up by 1 or 2 reminders during offsites. Possibly commented by HR in a Q&A document. And move on. This company seems as reactive in its management of people as it is proactive in its business operations. I still work at Netflix though, not only for the paycheck, but because I hope. I hope it will change. The needed change can't happen from a candid feedback, a Q&A, or only from inside. Change has to come from everyone, including people who take time to read comments like this one. Netflix has so many good people and offers such a great service. As a curious Netflix employee reading this review: think about your past, isn't there a big human thing that you would love to feel again in your current company that you've felt in the past? As a candidate: think about what would be a good question to ask to that HR partner once your package is almost here to be offered to you, think about that comment you make at the end of an interview when you're being asked by an engineer: "Do you have any question for me?" What Netflix needs is an inception, something that anyone and everyone would think about after leaving the call or the room they were sharing with you. Ask yourself, and then the others, the question you should ask if you think you want to spend a good amount of your life and energy in the place you're applying for. - Will I learn and contribute to the knowledge of other's? Even outside the company? - Will I see emotional responses from my peers? Will that be for other reasons than being fired or bluntly criticized? - Will I find a friendly environment that will nurture my appetite for life? - What is the amount of emotional interaction (celebrating, sharing, playing) to expect from a company whose service is the best to "entertain"? - Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Advice to Management

Ask yourself those questions

Netflix2018-09-20

"Netflix is not for everybody"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part about Netflix is that they try to pay 20% more than everybody else, so the compensation is good. They are not shy about spending money, so travel is business class, you'll get a new MacBook Pro every year, etc. The people there tend to be very nice, the catered lunch is delicious, and so forth. While there is still a lot of action in Los Gatos building the technology (although arguably it is becoming mature, as streaming is a commodity), the real drama is in Los Angeles, relating to content.

Cons

Netflix has very strange politics, because people's jobs are at the whim of their manager. In other words, if a manager decides that a particular report is no longer a "star," he or she will get a package. So, given that employees are not stupid, there is a lot of kissing up, resulting in a lot of comedy. Netflix believes in "360 feedback," but everybody I know only does that to their peers, and they become very political with their management chain.

Advice to Management

It's creepy when management sends out letters to their reports that read, "today is X's last day at Netflix and I fired him/her because of...."

Netflix2019-05-23
  4. "Great film learning experience"

Current Employee - Commission Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

learned hands-on about being on a big budget tv show set

Cons

Hours were terrible and unpredictable

Netflix2020-01-19
  5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

transparency, freedom and responsibility, trust

Cons

Type A people often have a hard time relaxing, so need to work on that more.

Netflix2020-01-16
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Construction Business Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working there really is better than any other place I have worked. Great benefits, great work/life balance, in an environment where you work with the best of the best. Pay is amazing.

Cons

They want you to have good judgement which really means guess exactly how we want you to act and behave and if you don’t you get fired and we’ll send out an email to everybody with why you were fired.

Advice to Management

Require at least a paper trail of why engineering managers are firing employees.

Netflix2020-01-09
  7. "Amazing company with benefits"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Full transparency, freedom of responsibility, complete exposure and cross collaboration to ignite innovation and inclusion.

Cons

The workload can be overwhelming.

Netflix2020-01-03
  8. "Exciting name recognition but flaws in the system"

Former Employee - Writer’s PA in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Name recognition, fair pay, good content

Cons

Mysteriously large company (hard to find contacts)

Advice to Management

Find a way to make communication with your company easier — I’ve heard it referred to as “Mr.Netflix” because no one ever knows who or where to find what they need

Netflix2020-01-08
  9. "Competitive Salary"

Current Employee - Visual Designer

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Talented Coworkers, and strong initiatives

Cons

Work life balance, competitive environtment

Netflix2020-01-03
  10. "Excellent Job With a Few Downsides"

Former Employee - Technical Research Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are great. Excellent Coworkers The Job training course is excellent Great place to gain skills preparing for more advanced IT jobs Flexible Scheduling and tons of Vacation Time Fantastic Culture of Freedom and Responsibility

Cons

Things change very quickly and you have to be able to adapt quickly. They fire people frequently. Most of the management team has been let go meaning they're extremely understaffed. The work itself is difficult and always changing so it can be a bit overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Having an understaffed management team makes things more difficult for all employees and firing so many employees in such a short span creates trust issues with your remaining employees.

Netflix2019-12-18