Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Reed Hastings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Don't get comfortable"

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay, freedom and responsibility.

Cons

Everything else. If you want to work 90 hours a week, have no family life, and still get fired after nothing but glowing reviews, then this place is for you! In my case, I gave direct, actionable feedback about a colleague, and that led to my dismissal. The culture deck says feedback is never used to retaliate - but that's not true at all. So fair warning - if you give someone honest feedback about how to improve in their position, be prepared for that to bite you later on. Politics is real here - people are retained or promoted based on who they know, and people are so routinely fired here, regardless of their performance, that everyone is numb to it.
    Glad to see my time here coming to an end. If you like playing dirty politics at work, then you've found a good place. If you want psychological safety at work, keep moving.

Advice to Management

Don't fire excellent people.

"Culture of Fear"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is amazing, and kitchen is well stocked.

Cons

Hiring is a joke. There is a culture of fear you will get fired, so everyone tends to hire people who are less talented then they are. So you are starting out with B level players hire C who hire D. And all live in fear they will get canned. The code base is blogged about and presented very well, but it's a streaming company. Their value is content and your technology doesn't matter. Rarely do/did we hire anyone away from a real tech company (Google, Apple, Facebook, etc). Those who work here want the money, and then stay to defend their employment status b/c they now spend more and change their lifestyle, versus change their skills by being better engineers.

"the culture of fear is real"

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

top of the market compensation and good product.

Cons

Very political and the culture of fear is real. People will bad-mouth you behind your back, just to save their jobs and since there are no HR processes/rules or documentation, your entire existence will depend on manager. Talking of which, personally I had two managers so far:

One who never led bigger teams before, he said inappropriate/unprofessional things all the time (mind you, Netflix is supposed to hire only experienced people).

The other one was a macho, drinking type. He always favored the ones who went out with him drinking. If you were not into drinking/socializing/alpha male communication style - too bad!

Summary: If you only care about money, this place is for you but if you want an environment with a positive culture you should look elsewhere.

"Work here if you like working against people."

Pros

Smart people. Challenging problems. Great stock plan.

Cons

Back-stabbing meritocracy. Unorganized development tools.

Advice to Management

Increase developer productivity and communication through the use of standardized development workflows.

"As call centers go, it's pretty awful"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros, everything that made me like the job was a blatant lie. Has health insurance so that's something.

Cons

The work is monotonous and draining. The chat team was dissolved, and then they shifted my hours to meet 'business needs' which took away the last bit of faith I had that they care about the employee. Supposedly you can choose from set shifts, but the time you pick is randomly assigned, meaning if you're randomly assigned to pick last, then there are no good options left. Could also mean that you work there for 2.5 years like my coworker and never get to have a weekend day off.
    In training they told us over and over again that top performers were promoted within 3 to 6 months but there have literally been no opportunities. They said numbers didn't matter, they promised unlimited time off, and a whole host of other perks. That has all been blatantly false, the entire job is a numbers game, you sit glued to your desk waiting for a coaching or meeting to break up the nightmare of the day but those keep getting pushed off to the future, which never happens. Unlimited time off was taken away, and you could be fired for a whole host of silly reasons, I myself have seen multiple coworkers walked off the floor for minor infractions, and the new policy of only 3 tardies (which could be 1 minute late) per YEAR is punitive. Even the free drinks are slowly being taken away, we have stupid lemon water options now or espresso, which I can't drink. This job has given me anxiety, I am actively looking for a different job and will quit the moment I'm able.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your employees, hire enough people so that you're not glued to the phone with back to back calls all day, promote an option of breaking up the work day instead of sitting stuck in the cubicle. You can't even take personal time for crying out loud, you get in trouble for needing to take a 2 minute bathroom break outside your schedued break time. Ive never had a job that so horrendously micromanages time to be sure you're getting every last second of work from the employee. Actually be truthful about advancement opportunities. I was told CRS2 would be avaliable August of 2016, that got pushed to January of 2017, then March of 2017, and now maybe 6 months into the future. That's ridiculous, and it has created a dead end job culture that there feels like no escaping from.

"Just blown away, I am Michael Jordan and you chose Sam Bowie. Never will have another like me. Run !"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and my peers. I loved my direct reports and they performed at a very high level. Low good attrition because they loved coming in every day. CSR'S are the most important part of any call center, I still get messages from past employees that are miserable there. Working hard for them, priceless and so rewarding. Still get messages from my first leadership job, wireless co. that rhythms with horizon wanting me back.. see the trend!

Cons

Approved FMLA was frowned upon, illegal but NetflixCS NOT NETFLIX (totaly separate companies) didn't care. They chose Utah because it's a right to hire/right to fire state. Worst location and facility, cheap equipmment and desks. Lesser companys that thought location may be important are all along UTA trax or frontrunner railways. Om never observed a coaching in final 7 months and was let go not for performance but for adjusting, not changing coaching logs. Coaching was wrote same but what Csr had to do was same and crystal clear. Wife has degree in English Communication and proof read my work. A+ ☆☆☆ writing. 0

Advice to Management

I opened the center, top 2 in 0overall stats 2015 & 2016 and my team loved me. Was not a yes man, was and always will be honest man. Was overpaid, told them first thing. Was told I changed coaching without rep in coaching with me, not actually changed just rewrote same thing but l with help of English grammar pro. I was never Netflix leadership trained and this0 was in leadership training to change coaching without csr present. How would i know without training? 0BPO'S have better structure and the first Supervisor hired begged me to not tell you be lied on resume, no leadership experience. Michigan fan, liar and still there along with many yes man. I was Verizon Trained in leadership, A++ and award winning training on all aspects of management. Still have emails of praise from Senior ops from Netflix Om's and led a 22 person team 3 months and it was 2nd overall in stats. It was because I cast the large shadow of a leader who could move mountains with my coaching, feedback and motivation. I came to you before FMLA, you approved my leave but let me go. Unheard of in any business. Ask my time off was approved and I was protected federally in my time off. It is the job of the company to get support to team while I was out. I still never had that leadership training to teach me not to Change coaching log (said same thing in log of what csr needed to do) without the csr present. CSR didn't even notice change, it was grammar and verbiage update of the same coaching recommendation. Remember giving me lower bowl Jazz tickets 2x for performance? Performance still high when using Federal Medical Leave Act insurance and still let go. Reading all the reviews left here are a clear direction of poor structure, internal training and bottom to top processes that produce consistency and values. Changing values, policy's monthly create chaos. Convergys has higher employee satisfaction and where I work now is best in state company to work for 2 years in row - Thumbtack! I make less but who cares, integrity means something. Try it sometime.. and still think you committed federal crime by letting someone go with approved FMLA.

"Experience totally based on supervisor. They have too much power"

Pros

Good work, good pay. Energetic environment. New technologies.

Cons

Experience in Netflix totally depends on the supervisor. If you are lucky and get a matured manager, there is no reason to not like working in NETFLIX. However it could be a nightmare if your manager does not like you for some reason. It is always your words vs manager's word in there (happened in my case and they believe the manager). I was hired under a manager who convinced me to join Netflix (I had 24 emails from that person persuading me). However I learned after joining that I am supposed to report to a new manager and the very first day that new guy complained that I have never worked with JAVA and AWS (Then why did he agree to take me in his team in the first place ? ). Nightmare started from that very day. He kept on mentioning the same thing every one on one. He forced me to move my position in every meeting and make sure I seat where he points me to. He will talk to all my co-workers and inform them if he is cancelling one on ones, for me he wont do anything and just disappear. He
    will constantly irritate me saying how good he was when he joined. He will always shout at me and try to ignore my opinions on any damn technical stuff. I was totally terrified of him and knew that he will make sure that I fail. He tried all he could. He gave me two projects and one project scope kept changing and changing. Still i tried to keep up and developed good relationships with other team managers, members and project managers.One day (I am sure my manager was waiting for that day) I wrote something incorrect in an email (this is my 4th month I guess). He pounded on me, and also after a 14 hour continuous on call, I took a 2 min break, he shouted at me for 15 minutes for missing a false alram ! I apologized. He tried to blame me for what I did not do and said he and someone else was watching me silently, while I was chatting with someone else about some technical issue over a group chat. So unethical ! He said some PM complained about me and when I asked for the names and examples he refused. I raised the alarm to higher management and they said it is "his word vs mine". One day they said they are sorry I had to go through this and next day they change the tone and said they have to believe my manager. I requested them to talk to engineers and get feedback. They refused to even do that. I resigned the next week as I could not take the humiliation and realized that if I stay back and work in the same group, they will find some excuse to fire me. I knew all companies where I worked before were waiting to take me back any day. So I had no worry. The funny part is the people who were working with me kept on sending me emails about how good it was to work with me and they were surprised that I left. But my manager never found anything good in me.

I wish I had a better manager in NETFLIX, then I would enjoy my life there so much. Please make sure you understand your supervisor before you join. That is the most important thing. Everything else will fall into place.

Advice to Management

Give engineers some more respect and try to understand who is at fault. Look at that persons history before you conclude in 4 months or 5th months just based on one person, the manager who was not happy with the hire from very very first day.

"Worst Place for work"

Pros

Pay, benefits, equipment, some co-workers

Cons

Everything else. Manager is a racist and the assist manager is a hispanic the discriminates hispanics, if you are a hispanic you are doomed. If you are white and the nephew of one of the supervisors the manager going to promote you to driver 3 even when there was only two routes and 2 Drivers 3 already in those routes.

Advice to Management

Fire those racist managers

"Operations Asst. Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Good pay for the work

Cons

Awful place to work, they work you 12 hours a day with terrible hours then let you go after 9 years with no cause.

"Unless you are hyperactive do not apply"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Netflix (More than a year)

Pros

You can be yourself. It's not complicated to help the customers. The job itself is very easy if you are competent.

Cons

While they do not technically discriminate against you because of your age, if you are not either on a constant caffeine induced hyperactive episode or just naturally one of those people who are hyper all day everyday. You will be utterly miserable here. The performance standards require so much speed you have to be in a constant frenzy to meet them.

Advice to Management

obviously this is a company that doesn't want to retain its employees long enough for the health insurance benefits or vacation bonuses to become available. If you're not in management by the time you've been there 2 years you are burned out and have quit the job.