Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
Cons
  • you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 48 reviews)

• Finance lives in a culture of fear (in 21 reviews)

1. "Distribution Clerk"

Former Employee - Accountant in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Netflix (More than a year)

Pros

This job is good for student.

Cons

If you have early class schedule then don't do it. The job starts at 3:00 AM to 6:46 AM

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Netflix
    Cafe on sight, moderately priced
    Free coffee and peanut m&m's
    Good health and dental benefits
    Very transparent
    No dress code (using good judgement)
    You can flex your on the clock breaks
    Pay is above market

Cons

Attendance policy is strict
    Little room for advancement
    Calls from very uneducated and slow people needing help with their Netflix
    Not much room for shift changing to earlier shifts (only night shifts available)
    It's "not scripted" although there are many things you must do verbatim
    Calls are very repetitious

3. "It was a job..."

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free Movies and great environment.

Cons

your truly were better off staying average. If you were good you got promoted then fired. If you were bad you just got fired

Advice to Management

Find incentives for people to excel!

"Experience based on Supervisor"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Get to work on a lot off different aspects, transparency, work with smart people, Reed Hastings

Cons

People pick and choose from cultural deck, varies from team to team, supervisor felt entitled based on tenure, not a good leader, complete opposite of the traits from the deck

Advice to Management

Recognize weak management early, review tenured employees as well

"The best job I've had, and at times, the worst job I've had"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Netflix has some great pros. You'll be working with mostly extremely competent people. Dealing with teams within the company is extremely easy, as most people are very helpful and efficient. They pay you a lot of money, and give you perks like free food, paid cell phone bill, 401k, etc. This is all great, but for me, the biggest draw is always people, and your team will make or break your experience here, so make sure you know what you are getting into at the interview, and don't accept jobs with teams that you don't feel excited about being part of.

Cons

The high salary leads some people to ramp up their lifestyles, they then become dependent on being here. This in turn creates a culture of fear where people are constantly stressing out that they are "not doing enough" and might be fired any minute. This also extends to the directors of teams, and when your management is stressed, it will always trickle down to create a lousy experience for you.
    This makes for an extremely toxic environment at times where teams are often working on similar projects, thus competing against each other to stay relevant, which is just utter idiocy. The high pay ensures that there is way more politicking than would be needed or appropriate in such situations. This in turn can have a very demoralizing effect on the peons doing the actual work, who often feel compelled to work on nights, weekends and public holidays for goals that are often vague, and projects that are often shelved. The most insidious effect of this is observed when people contemplate taking PTO, when many employees have told me that they weren't able to relax or take as much time off as they needed, as they were constantly wondering what would happen to their jobs, and whether or not they were doing enough to "deserve" time off. If you've never felt this, it's a rotten state of mind, and you will feel it quite a bit here.
    Many times, I've felt the need to quit the field altogether, but the money and my team makes me stay for now, so I'll likely stay till my team changes.

Moral of the story here is: You'll get paid a lot. You'll also likely be laid off sooner than you expect. You'll also likely make a LOT less at your next place. Adjust for your standard of living appropriately so you can keep your head above the circus fray, and don't get used to the good things.

Advice to Management

More communication with your teams is absolutely essential if you want to retain good people, but you don't need a Glassdoor review to tell you that. Empower your HR teams to instill the idea that taking time off is a healthy part of working here, and no one should feel nervous about taking time off. You will need to say this many times before it becomes part of the culture.

Ensure that teams are not competing against each other, specifically in the Engineering department. We are not here to throw each other off our respective ladders, but to learn, and to help the company grow as a result of what we learn here. Cross-collaboration between teams should be of the utmost priority, not working at cross-purposes as is the case with many teams now.

For the most part, this is a good place to be. Make it better, and make more of an effort at every level to keep the organization flat. We already have job insecurity, we do not need hierarchy to make it worse.

"good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High-performing culture
    Unlimited vacation
    Pick your time to work
    Great pay

Cons

High performing culture
    If you get a manager that micro-manages it becomes annoying
    Too date driven while sacrificing quality - for a QA professional that's hard to take

"CSR"

Current Employee - Csr1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, the pay is decent, and the work is easy overall. They offer cool perks like free drinks and some free snacks as well as subsidized meals in their cafe and free Netflix!

Cons

They sell you on a culture that's isn't as they say. They tell you they're not numbers driven and you won't be punished for your numbers, yet everyone is obsessed with their numbers as well as the managers.

Advice to Management

Tell it like it is, if numbers are a priority let your new hires know up front.

9. "Too much"

Former Employee - CSR-1
    Former Employee - CSR-1

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was great, flexible schedule to meet your needs, scheduling extra hours, attendance bonuses, great benefits including 401k match and vacation.

Cons

Dealing with non tech savvy customers, contradicting management styles, the location, no room to grow.

10. "website"

Current Employee - Senior Web UI Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web UI Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

share knowledge with smart people from the world.

Cons

Sometimes exhausting long works at company

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job pays well, some peers are brilliant, talented, and fantastic to work with. There is quite a bit of autonomy and the freedom to develop your teams as you see fit.

Cons

NetflixCS is young and the leadership team is not open to new ideas. Management quickly shifts its priorities and it does not seem there is a clear direction for where the company is heading.

Advice to Management

Stop killing the passion of your employees by shutting them down and find ways engage that passion into a specific direction aligned with the priorities of the company. Have a direction and coach and develop your talent.