Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Cons

1. "Great Company Culture"

Former Employee - Production Machine Operator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Production Machine Operator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Netflix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with a great supervisor and team

Cons

Downsizing the DVD facet of Netflix

"Great product, great company, great culture, with a few kinks"

Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Total freedom to do outstanding work if you are up to the task. Great coworkers and colloberative environment to supply the best entertainment possible anywhere, any time all over the world.

Cons

Having that freedom to excel comes the same freedom for everybody else, including your boss. If they just don't like you they have the freedom to fire you without any buy in from anybody else. They have complete freedom to do so without any solid justification, no matter how good everybody else thinks you are. Hence frequent shock when people hear so and so got fired when everybody that worked with them thought they were a rock star. This is setting the seed for large scale office politics.

Advice to Management

Continue the stellar work, Netflix is going gang busters. Continue to work on those barriers to entry. Keep a close eye on the culture, of course it will evolve but steer it in the right direction constantly. Also because senior execs have been at the company a long time does not necessarily mean they are the right fit for the company currently.

3. "SRE Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom and responsibility, very transparent, well respected, hefty base salary. flexibility with work hours. specific responsibilities.

Cons

There is no concept of bonus. medical and health benefits are not there either. You are responsible for your area of tasks and hardly find someone covering for you. you will be an expect and also kind of silo'd

Advice to Management

I don't have any specific advice to management other than that Director and above are given way too much freedom to do whatever they want and not considering the senior employees

"Fast paced, high performing, high turnover, engineering-first"

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Netflix, it's a bold company to work for and you are surrounded by people who are passionate about what they do. I always say the health of the company starts at the top and Reed Hastings is someone I highly respect as he can see through people's BS and keeps those around him honest. He's the kind of person that will give you personal and professional advice even at an all hands with hundreds of people in attendance. The work will feel like you're being 'thrown to the fire' due to the culture of high performance and no subscribed process, but if you know what you're doing and stay dedicated to your team's goals in a productive manner, you should be fine.

Cons

While there are incredibly bright and talented designers at Netflix, I learned through my time there that this company was an engineering-first company. I mean, look at how long it took them to change the logo and get some design standards going. Design often times felt like a luxury than a necessity and there was a bit too much dependency on A/B testing to make decisions. I swear, I heard "have we A/B tested this yet?" in my dreams. A few times, I would point out that the results of the A/B test resulted in bad design solutions. It just seemed like upper management didn't understand design. As long as people are watching content and streaming patterns are on the up, then don't rock the boat. Also, watch out for those who play politics, sometimes the drama that plays out on projects or team dynamics is just unreal and some people just want to be the hero and get Reed Hasting's blessing. Unfortunately, there are some "brilliant jerks" in the company, learn to work around them and get stuff done right! Lastly, if you want a more life/work balance, this is probably not the place for you. I had some coworkers who didn't see their kids for days.

Advice to Management

Everyone looks so serious at work, address this lack of fun or effect on morale. Also, make design matter more to the business.

5. "Cool culture, but they still have some kinks to work out"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, subsidized lunches, free fruit and coffee, lots of PTO, free Netflix acct, community involvement, company culture, internal growth

Cons

Only 3 tardies/early leave per year before separation, no tuition reimbursement, very strict about what can be at your desk, no holidays off, headsets provided are awful

Advice to Management

Keep moving the site in the right direction, and start interviewing for CSR2's soon!

6. "Great company"

Former Employee - Data Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Data Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great company, nice technology stack

Cons

Can not think of any cons

Advice to Management

Keep at it.

"Netflix hires the cream of the crop... But be prepared to work hard!"

Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

High Salary
    Great co-workers
    Beautiful South Bay location
    Relatively "small" company
    Free hot lunch, stocked kitchen
    Lots of SWAG
    Great PTO policy

Cons

Lack of internal growth opportunities
    Stock "options" not "shares"
    High turnover - can be cut throat
    Lack of diversity
    No recognized holidays.
    Double standards for executive staff.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate prioritites and distribute the wealth more evenly.

"Company is maturing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and perks are amazing.. office food&snacks, unlimited vacation, one year maternity leave, amazing leadership by Reed.

Cons

No mentorship, no at the job training. Hard to get promotion because they will simply go out and hire someone instead of internally developing people

"Great, but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of freedom and responsibilities - no managers breathing down your neck, culture that creates opportunities for you to do innovative work;

Cons

there ain't no 40 hours weeks

"Great company. Super high performers and smart people."

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is great. You work with highly motivated, driven people that are all trying to be their best. In my experience all peers are very willing to share best practices and help you be better as well.
    Benefits are great and work life balance is a real thing. Positivity is part of the culture which is infections.
    If you've ever worked for a company where you see a peer not doing much and not being held accountable for driving success those type of people will not make it which in my book is great. Accountability happens here.
    Freedom to be you and manage with your own sense of style as long as you are managing within their values.

Cons

Periodically you come across super competitive peers that may be stand offish for fear of sharing or getting to close to you because they want a position that you want. That competition is fierce when applying for new roles but it doesn't describe the majority of the workforce.
    Due to constantly challenging yourself and expectations to continue to be high performers you can leave mentally exhausted on a daily basis.