Netflix Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"An extraordinary environment creates an exciting work experience."

Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

When discussing ideas, every person in the room is usually more intelligent than me, which is challenging and invigorating, and creates great results. Netflix is willing to move quickly and make calculated risks in pushing the business forward. That makes it an exciting and satisfying place to work.

Whether you're in the office or away is rarely noticed or even considered at Netflix. All the matters is the quality and consistency of your work, which gives employees great freedom and allows them to enhance the balance in their lives. At the same time, expectations are tremendous, but that's what makes the company great. For the employees who look for this is in an employer, Netflix delivers.

Cons

Everything is always changing at Netflix, whether it's ideas, or approaches, or personnel, and that can be challenging on a day to day basis.

Benefits are challenging for employees with families, and I wish we that was not a consideration for employees with families.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the employees, and keep an open mind to all new ideas.

"Good in the short term, but ..."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Netflix's top management has a simple and well thought out strategic vision which they communicate well to employees. The company is consistently profitable and salaries tend to be substantially above the market rates.

Cons

Netflix pays well to get the best person for the job. The downsides of this are that often people are overqualified for what they are doing, which can lead to a lack of challenge for them. Worse, Netflix quickly and unceremoniously fires anyone whose skills no longer match the available work, or even whose manager doesn't especially like them. Retraining people for different jobs just doesn't occur.

If the immediate work fits your professional goals, Netflix can be a good place to work, but don't plan on a long career there.

Advice to Management

Your former start-up has become a somewhat disfunctional large organization. It would behoove you to attend to your middle-management structures.

"Great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Teamwork is highly valued in the Netflix culture, with team members even contributing to peer employee reviews. Netflix is performance and goal oriented. Everything you do at Netflix is important to the business. My team and the teams around me are very bright and are always thinking around how technology can grow the business. Netflix management embraces change where they see opportunities to grow the business.

Cons

Netflix is not a startup and not a big company. If you are looking for either of those then this would not be the place for you. Change is a given at Netflix, nothing stands still.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

"A career at Netflix can be rewarding if your coworkers are competent and have a modicum of social skills."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Starting salaries are above average.

Cons

A career at Netflix can be rewarding and enjoyable, dependent upon whom you work with.

Some coworkers, especially those who have been at Netflix for a longer time are difficult to work with due to stubbornness or hubris.

These attitudes affect the stability of the Netflix service because engineers often do not follow standard operating procedures resulting in multiple outages.

Additionally, some employees make racist and sexist comments and management takes no steps to correct this behavior.

Advice to Management

There is a lack of competency at the middle management level allows long time time employees to be rude and hostile towards newer employees.

"Netflix is a great place to work with an extraordinary group of people"

Current Employee - Engineering Director in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

If you’re a high performance person and a good culture fit, Netflix is a great place to work. There’s no micro managing here and everyone is allowed to take responsibility for their own projects. There’s an amazing lack of arrogance and people collaborate cross functionally on a regular basis. The people you work with every day will be smart, focused and enthusiastic. The company leadership is not afraid to make bold decisions and take risks which keeps the company exciting and innovative.

Cons

If you’re not a high performance person or you don’t fit the culture you won’t last long. The bold decisions made by management can translate to frequent changes in direction. If you’re not comfortable with changing priorities Netflix won’t be a good place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to take risks and make bold decisions.

"Love what you do"

Current Employee - Engineering Director in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Smart, passionate, fun loving colleagues that keep the mood light and and the pace fast. Flat organizations rule. Great facilities - clean, professional, uncluttered, with plenty of space and sunshine. A place where 'forgiveness' is valued over 'permission'. A place where 'take risks and recover quickly' is lived every day. Customers are raving fans of our product.

Cons

If you have an ego, or want to climb the 'corporate ladder' this is not for you.

Advice to Management

Too many VPs being brought in from the outside rather than promoted from the inside. VPs are great, however they create work for everyone else - we're not hiring many folks below the VPs - so more VPs means conflicts for priorities within the groups that need to get the work done. Slow down the hiring.

"A killer combo: great business, the best people and a fantastic work environment"

Current Employee - Engineering Director in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

- Working with incredibly talented people that are passionate about their work
    - A transparent leadership culture that is not afraid to address any missteps quickly and openly
    - A metrics-driven, "consumer science" culture that values testable hypotheses and numbers over egos and cronies
    - Encourages "mavericks" and the right to challenge anything and anyone respectfully
    - Treats employees as "fully formed adults" and provides all of the "freedom and responsibility" that comes with that.

Cons

- You are expected to be a pro at what you do. Mediocre performance is not tolerated
    - You are expected to manage your own career, which may be hard for some- particularly those new to their careers

Advice to Management

Keep being bold. It's inspiring.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Freedom and responsibility! The 7 Great Reasons to work at Netflix are actually true!

Cons

If you can’t self manage you will not succeed...you need to be able to own and drive the business...no one will hold your hand! Not a downside for me, but could be for others.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and changing the game!

"Netflix! The good, the bad and the ugly!"

Current Employee - Senior Web Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Netflix is a place where you are surrounded by some really great minds. I wouldn't even say that SOME of the people are good while others somehow seemed to 'slip' in. If you aren't one of the best in your line of work, I don't think you'll ever get in the door here. I've been here for a number of years and have had the privilege to work with some extremely bright people. As an employee (and part of a team), its good to know that whatever you are working on is going to be top notch because of who is working on it.

Netflix also encourages you to learn and explore new technologies and expand your own knowledge base. At past companies this was always a problem. If something didn't directly relate to what you were working on... well you had to make excuses and come up with reasons why you wanted to try something new. At Netflix, they not only encourage it but really urge you to try to broaden your own skill set.

Our paid time off policy is not to be beat... Netflix has none! No two weeks a year or so many days off for personal/sick leave GARBAGE. Instead, you just tell your manager that you wanted to take three weeks off next month and he says, okay have a good time. We'll see ya when you get back! How cool is that?

Its all about Movies for me. I used to think I was a bit if a movie buff. Yeah, that was until I worked here and met real movie buff's. Meetings are filled with references to movies. In one of the team meetings I go to every week, you can count the number of Ferris Bueller's day off lines.

$$$ Show me the money. Netflix really does pay well! I left my old job doing the EXACT same thing I do here.. the only difference is, I make X2 as much!

I'd like to write more, but those reasons alone are pretty good.

Cons

When I first started, the head of HR said "Netflix is a high performance environment." Often, I feel like they have confused "high pressure" with "high performance", and believe me, there is a difference. Sometimes I feel like they overly eggagerate the importance of SOME features. I mean, no one is going to die on the table here guys.. its just a movie rental company.

Our medical/health benefits are mediocre at best and HR doesn't seem to care that the majority of employees are totally dissatisfied with the offerings. After constant employee complaints on how high our benefit prices are, HR comes back with even higher prices this year while having even less coverage. I'm not buying the line they fed us either "benefits are more expensive everywhere across the country." Whatever.. if I gave that as an excuse why I didn't get a project completed on time, I'd be "talked to".

Every year, we have this total JOKE of a per review process (360 reviews). You HAVE to rate your peers and get ratings back from the people you asked to rate you. From my experience, its totally pointless and a huge waste of time / energy across the company. If we spent even a quarter of the time and money it takes to run, manage, and maintain this 360 review process, we'd have double the amount of movies in our Watch Instantly offering.

Don't come here thinking you'll rise through the ranks! That just doesn't happen here. Yes, there are a few people who have started out as individual contributors and risen to the higher ranks but for the most part, I've watched very talented people leave Netflix to get management positions else where and Netflix doesn't really care. When you accept a job here, it will most likely be in the same position for the rest of your time at Netflix.

There is also a very big brother feel here.. Netflix HR is watching you. But maybe that's just me! People seem to 'disappear' sometimes!

Advice to Management

None really. I have been very impressed with what direction the company is going. Decisions that I thought were misguided have really turned out well. My only real gripe with Netflix is Benefits and HR!

"Really great place to work (if it's a culture fit)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

My favorite thing about Netflix is being surrounded by a ridiculously talented group of people who are also fun to work with. Management provides a clear compass about the priorities of the company, and that makes it easy for teams to prioritize their projects appropriately. The next few years are going to be really interesting, with the company making the transition from a really good DVD by mail service to a great way to get movies by mail or over the internet.

Cons

Netflix has a very strong defined culture, and if you fit that culture, it's a fabulous place to work. If the underlying philosophies don't mesh well with how you see the world, it can be a painful place to work. If you're thinking about taking a job at Netflix, take time to investigate the culture fit. I haven't seen anyone be successful here if the culture fit is off.

Advice to Management

don't get cocky