Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
Cons
  • you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 48 reviews)

• Finance lives in a culture of fear (in 21 reviews)

1. "Translator"

Current Freelancer - Translator in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Freelancer - Translator in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Netflix (More than a year)

Pros

They handle all the works and deliveries professionally. The rate they offer is also very good for my language pair.

Cons

No cons. I am glad to be a part of them.

2. "subtitling test"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

good pay for all freelancer

Cons

Hard test for all freelancer

Advice to Management

make your test for subtitling more easier than available one

"As call centers go, it's pretty awful"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros, everything that made me like the job was a blatant lie. Has health insurance so that's something.

Cons

The work is monotonous and draining. The chat team was dissolved, and then they shifted my hours to meet 'business needs' which took away the last bit of faith I had that they care about the employee. Supposedly you can choose from set shifts, but the time you pick is randomly assigned, meaning if you're randomly assigned to pick last, then there are no good options left. Could also mean that you work there for 2.5 years like my coworker and never get to have a weekend day off.
    In training they told us over and over again that top performers were promoted within 3 to 6 months but there have literally been no opportunities. They said numbers didn't matter, they promised unlimited time off, and a whole host of other perks. That has all been blatantly false, the entire job is a numbers game, you sit glued to your desk waiting for a coaching or meeting to break up the nightmare of the day but those keep getting pushed off to the future, which never happens. Unlimited time off was taken away, and you could be fired for a whole host of silly reasons, I myself have seen multiple coworkers walked off the floor for minor infractions, and the new policy of only 3 tardies (which could be 1 minute late) per YEAR is punitive. Even the free drinks are slowly being taken away, we have stupid lemon water options now or espresso, which I can't drink. This job has given me anxiety, I am actively looking for a different job and will quit the moment I'm able.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your employees, hire enough people so that you're not glued to the phone with back to back calls all day, promote an option of breaking up the work day instead of sitting stuck in the cubicle. You can't even take personal time for crying out loud, you get in trouble for needing to take a 2 minute bathroom break outside your schedued break time. Ive never had a job that so horrendously micromanages time to be sure you're getting every last second of work from the employee. Actually be truthful about advancement opportunities. I was told CRS2 would be avaliable August of 2016, that got pushed to January of 2017, then March of 2017, and now maybe 6 months into the future. That's ridiculous, and it has created a dead end job culture that there feels like no escaping from.

"Senior Software Engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- compensation
    - from a product perspective: a unique blend of technology & entertainment
    - exciting industry and great business opportunities
    - you will be getting to know how to deal with AWS at scale

Cons

Culture:
    - high turnover
    - many people are staying only for the top of the market paycheck
    - employees adjust lifestyle to high compensation. As a result constant fear of being let go
    - colleagues will throw you under the bus to keep their jobs
    - very political due to lack of company policies/processes
    - any mistakes you make will be used against you (see point #3)
    - 0 empathy, mentorship or compassion
    - no clear career path
    - your experience will largely depend on your manager
    - if you want "psychological safety" go to Google or Facebook instead

Technology:
    - overall very poor code quality
    - most bigger architecture solutions are suboptimal due to "freedom and responsibility" and lack of overall technical vision
    - related to architecture: most technical decisions are completely localized, again due to "freedom and responsibility". As a result, high level of technical debt and meaningless duplication (NIH syndrome at scale)
    - dated technology stack (the most popular tech stack is tomcat/war)

6. "Customer Service Rep"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Other than the benefits, the environment you work in is very relaxed, while still maintaining professional boundaries. Management is easy to work with, feedback is more constructive than criticizing

Cons

Lack of upward growth/opportunity, you'll definitely get the unreasonable customers

7. "Cool culture, but they still have some kinks to work out"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, subsidized lunches, free fruit and coffee, lots of PTO, free Netflix acct, community involvement, company culture, internal growth

Cons

Only 3 tardies/early leave per year before separation, no tuition reimbursement, very strict about what can be at your desk, no holidays off, headsets provided are awful

Advice to Management

Keep moving the site in the right direction, and start interviewing for CSR2's soon!

8. "The lack of diversity and lack of initiatives to change this is depressing"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, fun projects, shuttles to many places in the Bay Area. If you're full-time the culture makes it easy to make your little slice of work your own.

Cons

They treat contractors like crap. Well at least this is the case in the department I was in. You are hamstrung by being a contractor and not having access to all information, not even knowing that you need access to this information or not even realizing you are missing information until it's too late. That might not be a problem for all contract positions, but as a project manager, it's essential that we are least made of aware of any news that might possibly affect the components we are in charge of.

The diversity is tragic. It's not as bad as many other Bay Area tech companies, but there is a lot of instances where one sibling gets another one in, one spouse will get another one in, friends from previous employment hire each other to recreate whatever made them leave the original company, etc.

I worked in a department with mainly an international team and when I started there were several comments made by my coworkers about how, because of my nationality, I therefore couldn't possibly understand certain issues like internationalization. I found several of the people to be very condescending if you didn't come from X school or worked at Y company.

The lack of feedback from your manager is non-existent. Again this might just be a contractor thing but for me I found that the majority of my coworkers were happy with my work, my stakeholders were happy with my work, I'd received kudos from my manager, etc. Then when a full-time position came available I applied and was essentially told by my manager that I wasn't good enough. I won't argue that decision because it's subjective but isn't it the Netflix policy that if a manager isn't happy with their employee it's best to just let them go and then find the best fit? After all, if I'm not good enough to be at Netflix then why are still keeping me around? I can only speculate as to the reasons so it's not even worth me writing them here.

Also in general, I know very few contractors since the time I've been here who have been converted to full-time. Some have been here as long as 2 years or longer.

Advice to Management

Don't say you are committed to diversity if you really aren't paying attention to the hiring practices of the B and C level managers who are all too often just hiring their buddies.

Netflix is scaling rapidly with new people and new products. My suggestion would be to find a way to facilitate interdepartmental learnings, this way you don't run the risk of people duplicating efforts.

9. "Great company culture"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Very strong culture, smart colleagues, great product.

Cons

Rapidly growing - can be difficult to keep up

10. "SV"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Amazing people, great place to work, salary was really great. Netflix was the best company I had ever worked.

Cons

CS business was downsizing and the company had cost cuttings.

Advice to Management

Work force group needed to be more flexible and research to make plans for hiring.

"senior software engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

good to work and smart people around

Cons

more team work and culture should be improved

Advice to Management

put more focus on teams