Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
Cons
  • you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 48 reviews)

• Finance lives in a culture of fear (in 21 reviews)

"As call centers go, it's pretty awful"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros, everything that made me like the job was a blatant lie. Has health insurance so that's something.

Cons

The work is monotonous and draining. The chat team was dissolved, and then they shifted my hours to meet 'business needs' which took away the last bit of faith I had that they care about the employee. Supposedly you can choose from set shifts, but the time you pick is randomly assigned, meaning if you're randomly assigned to pick last, then there are no good options left. Could also mean that you work there for 2.5 years like my coworker and never get to have a weekend day off.
    In training they told us over and over again that top performers were promoted within 3 to 6 months but there have literally been no opportunities. They said numbers didn't matter, they promised unlimited time off, and a whole host of other perks. That has all been blatantly false, the entire job is a numbers game, you sit glued to your desk waiting for a coaching or meeting to break up the nightmare of the day but those keep getting pushed off to the future, which never happens. Unlimited time off was taken away, and you could be fired for a whole host of silly reasons, I myself have seen multiple coworkers walked off the floor for minor infractions, and the new policy of only 3 tardies (which could be 1 minute late) per YEAR is punitive. Even the free drinks are slowly being taken away, we have stupid lemon water options now or espresso, which I can't drink. This job has given me anxiety, I am actively looking for a different job and will quit the moment I'm able.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your employees, hire enough people so that you're not glued to the phone with back to back calls all day, promote an option of breaking up the work day instead of sitting stuck in the cubicle. You can't even take personal time for crying out loud, you get in trouble for needing to take a 2 minute bathroom break outside your schedued break time. Ive never had a job that so horrendously micromanages time to be sure you're getting every last second of work from the employee. Actually be truthful about advancement opportunities. I was told CRS2 would be avaliable August of 2016, that got pushed to January of 2017, then March of 2017, and now maybe 6 months into the future. That's ridiculous, and it has created a dead end job culture that there feels like no escaping from.

"Just blown away, I am Michael Jordan and you chose Sam Bowie. Never will have another like me. Run !"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and my peers. I loved my direct reports and they performed at a very high level. Low good attrition because they loved coming in every day. CSR'S are the most important part of any call center, I still get messages from past employees that are miserable there. Working hard for them, priceless and so rewarding. Still get messages from my first leadership job, wireless co. that rhythms with horizon wanting me back.. see the trend!

Cons

Approved FMLA was frowned upon, illegal but NetflixCS NOT NETFLIX (totaly separate companies) didn't care. They chose Utah because it's a right to hire/right to fire state. Worst location and facility, cheap equipmment and desks. Lesser companys that thought location may be important are all along UTA trax or frontrunner railways. Om never observed a coaching in final 7 months and was let go not for performance but for adjusting, not changing coaching logs. Coaching was wrote same but what Csr had to do was same and crystal clear. Wife has degree in English Communication and proof read my work. A+ ☆☆☆ writing. 0

Advice to Management

I opened the center, top 2 in 0overall stats 2015 & 2016 and my team loved me. Was not a yes man, was and always will be honest man. Was overpaid, told them first thing. Was told I changed coaching without rep in coaching with me, not actually changed just rewrote same thing but l with help of English grammar pro. I was never Netflix leadership trained and this0 was in leadership training to change coaching without csr present. How would i know without training? 0BPO'S have better structure and the first Supervisor hired begged me to not tell you be lied on resume, no leadership experience. Michigan fan, liar and still there along with many yes man. I was Verizon Trained in leadership, A++ and award winning training on all aspects of management. Still have emails of praise from Senior ops from Netflix Om's and led a 22 person team 3 months and it was 2nd overall in stats. It was because I cast the large shadow of a leader who could move mountains with my coaching, feedback and motivation. I came to you before FMLA, you approved my leave but let me go. Unheard of in any business. Ask my time off was approved and I was protected federally in my time off. It is the job of the company to get support to team while I was out. I still never had that leadership training to teach me not to Change coaching log (said same thing in log of what csr needed to do) without the csr present. CSR didn't even notice change, it was grammar and verbiage update of the same coaching recommendation. Remember giving me lower bowl Jazz tickets 2x for performance? Performance still high when using Federal Medical Leave Act insurance and still let go. Reading all the reviews left here are a clear direction of poor structure, internal training and bottom to top processes that produce consistency and values. Changing values, policy's monthly create chaos. Convergys has higher employee satisfaction and where I work now is best in state company to work for 2 years in row - Thumbtack! I make less but who cares, integrity means something. Try it sometime.. and still think you committed federal crime by letting someone go with approved FMLA.

"Experience totally based on supervisor. They have too much power"

Pros

Good work, good pay. Energetic environment. New technologies.

Cons

Experience in Netflix totally depends on the supervisor. If you are lucky and get a matured manager, there is no reason to not like working in NETFLIX. However it could be a nightmare if your manager does not like you for some reason. It is always your words vs manager's word in there (happened in my case and they believe the manager). I was hired under a manager who convinced me to join Netflix (I had 24 emails from that person persuading me). However I learned after joining that I am supposed to report to a new manager and the very first day that new guy complained that I have never worked with JAVA and AWS (Then why did he agree to take me in his team in the first place ? ). Nightmare started from that very day. He kept on mentioning the same thing every one on one. He forced me to move my position in every meeting and make sure I seat where he points me to. He will talk to all my co-workers and inform them if he is cancelling one on ones, for me he wont do anything and just disappear. He
    will constantly irritate me saying how good he was when he joined. He will always shout at me and try to ignore my opinions on any damn technical stuff. I was totally terrified of him and knew that he will make sure that I fail. He tried all he could. He gave me two projects and one project scope kept changing and changing. Still i tried to keep up and developed good relationships with other team managers, members and project managers.One day (I am sure my manager was waiting for that day) I wrote something incorrect in an email (this is my 4th month I guess). He pounded on me, and also after a 14 hour continuous on call, I took a 2 min break, he shouted at me for 15 minutes for missing a false alram ! I apologized. He tried to blame me for what I did not do and said he and someone else was watching me silently, while I was chatting with someone else about some technical issue over a group chat. So unethical ! He said some PM complained about me and when I asked for the names and examples he refused. I raised the alarm to higher management and they said it is "his word vs mine". One day they said they are sorry I had to go through this and next day they change the tone and said they have to believe my manager. I requested them to talk to engineers and get feedback. They refused to even do that. I resigned the next week as I could not take the humiliation and realized that if I stay back and work in the same group, they will find some excuse to fire me. I knew all companies where I worked before were waiting to take me back any day. So I had no worry. The funny part is the people who were working with me kept on sending me emails about how good it was to work with me and they were surprised that I left. But my manager never found anything good in me.

I wish I had a better manager in NETFLIX, then I would enjoy my life there so much. Please make sure you understand your supervisor before you join. That is the most important thing. Everything else will fall into place.

Advice to Management

Give engineers some more respect and try to understand who is at fault. Look at that persons history before you conclude in 4 months or 5th months just based on one person, the manager who was not happy with the hire from very very first day.

"Worst Place for work"

Pros

Pay, benefits, equipment, some co-workers

Cons

Everything else. Manager is a racist and the assist manager is a hispanic the discriminates hispanics, if you are a hispanic you are doomed. If you are white and the nephew of one of the supervisors the manager going to promote you to driver 3 even when there was only two routes and 2 Drivers 3 already in those routes.

Advice to Management

Fire those racist managers

"Operations Asst. Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Good pay for the work

Cons

Awful place to work, they work you 12 hours a day with terrible hours then let you go after 9 years with no cause.

"Unless you are hyperactive do not apply"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Netflix (More than a year)

Pros

You can be yourself. It's not complicated to help the customers. The job itself is very easy if you are competent.

Cons

While they do not technically discriminate against you because of your age, if you are not either on a constant caffeine induced hyperactive episode or just naturally one of those people who are hyper all day everyday. You will be utterly miserable here. The performance standards require so much speed you have to be in a constant frenzy to meet them.

Advice to Management

obviously this is a company that doesn't want to retain its employees long enough for the health insurance benefits or vacation bonuses to become available. If you're not in management by the time you've been there 2 years you are burned out and have quit the job.

"No more love for NF"

Pros

Free Starbucks and snacks. Free Netflix

Cons

Everyone starts at the same hourly pay even if you have experience. The management says they are big on feedback but they will use it against you. Netflix manages on a "do as I say not as I do" philosophy. Managers are the only ones allowed cell phones and pens, employees are not. Training doesn't prepare you for the actual job. I was a Netflix customer from day one which is why I wanted to work for them and after being an employee I wouldn't recommend them as a employer or as a customer. Will leave as soon as another job is secured.

Advice to Management

Pre screen employees better so you can treat the employees like adults rather than toddlers who can't be trusted. Stop hiring TSR's based on seniority but on skill.

"Would have been excellent with a different supervisor."

Former Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's incredibly easy work. Good pay, requires a fair amount of patience and people skills.
    Free m&m's and a drink dispensers, cool cafeteria for a call center.

Cons

In my time of working for NetflixCS, I was stressed mentally and physically, they use losing your job against you in every single humanly mishap that could happen, emergency with the kids? Not excusable or ability to have excusal by reasonable cause, they literally tell you after the first time that your job will be on the line if you are so much as 5 minutes late again. Get something a little mixed up on the knowledge base? You're on thin ice. I feel as if I started feeling this way once they had moved me to a new team. This "supervisor" was bossy, not a leader. Raised her voice and talked to few on the team like children. They were smart and switched teams after a few occurrences of her demonstrating her work ethic. I decided, I can change my schedule soon I don't want to make a fuss, so I stayed next thing I know I'm one of the leaders on the team we had a coaching and all she did for the first time ever was acknowledge my hard work, I was proud. After all the fear of f'ing up and losing my job I realized I could relax. A week later I was fired because I had to miss 1 day because my 2 year old daughter had strep, mind you this, my sup was constantly late or leaving early for non emergency type situations, was constantly on her phone on the call floor, for non work related types of things such as looking through social media and online shopping, there is an example of blatant favoritism. I knew people who missed much more time than I had, and had never even been spoken too, or threatened. I would take this to hr but as my sup said when terming me, the decision is final and I will not longer be working at Netflix customer service.

Advice to Management

You really need to review how your employees feel with their supervisors. If you want the ACE you have to be fair and flexible with your employees concerns. You lost a very good, and determined employee because of poor placement and no flexibility with attendance, considering there was never PTO available or sick days. Even others employees at the site did not understand why I was fired. That's something to think about. I know I'm not the only one from this specific team that feels the same way.

"Worst management"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Netflix itself is awesome. Who wouldn't want to work there right? Free coffee, cheap awesome meals, rad break room, awesome coworkers, you can choose your own breaks.

Cons

Netflix is probably one of the worst places I've worked, and that's saying something. They give you a guideline saying you follow things as it goes and you don't have a script. Yet when you're not understanding something completely, instead of helping you and showing you how to do it..they lecture you and expect you to get it right. When you ask "what is the right way to do it?" They say there is no right way. (but there definitely is a wrong way!) If you don't get it right after the lecture they just fire you.

Advice to Management

Management needs to change everything and start from scratch, they need to help people who don't understand and give them time to show they are trying. Everyone makes mistakes and can grow and you don't understand this concept at all even though you claim this whole "fail well" thing. You don't help anyone, you just get rid of them and find someone else, and that does not look well.

"Complete Lies"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix as a contractor

Pros

They say they encourage diversity

Cons

They will outcast you for being diverse

Advice to Management

New hires are expected to be experts after two weeks of training and that includes only one week of taking calls!!!!