Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • stands by culture deck, 'freedom and responsibility' is not a buzz phrase but reality, treated like an adult, no micromanagement (in 49 reviews)

• Creative environment, good pay, room for promotion (in 32 reviews)

Cons

1. "Literally work anywhere else"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, NF account, food trucks on lunch

Cons

Metrics, changing cubicles, team meetings

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay, free Netflix, over time

Cons

Do not work here the pay is not worth it at all. The management does not care about their employees. There’s such a dark side to this company it’s ridiculous. Graduating out of training they fired 5 people for no reason. There were rumors about a sup harassing an employee and then the EMPLOYEE got fired for speaking up. They let me go without an exact reason saying I didn’t fit “the Netflix values” and that’s there reason for everything even when you did nothing wrong. The amount of people that got fired for the first THREE WEEKS I was there is unbelievable. You’ll always be on your toes working here, management sucks and they use their authority negatively.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

"Avoid this place.. its not worth it"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix (Less than a year)

Pros

They have snacks and the benefits are decent

Cons

Where to begin.. first of all they are not all inclusive,, they dont like older people such as myself to work there, also they are not diverse, i didnt see any hispanic or african american people there, only a few.. mostly its white bread millenials.. they claim they live by their values but whoever does the hiring is seriously racist.. beforewarned they find a reason to let you go in training and if they dont like you well then they use that "reason" to show you the door... do your research I wasn't the only one who they did this to.. its basically a churn and burn place not worth it

Advice to Management

so what is the deal here???????? there is no due process.. You guys just treat everyone like disposable feminine products... I thought I could trust my supervisor but after doing my research and discovering his social media accounts were all about drug use.. blah I am glad he fired me.. advice to management? you all need to be fired if for nothing else than creating a culture of fear and stress... why are we not allowed to talk about difficult customers? how does that help anything? and why are the trainers allowed to lie and say that "netflix customers are sooo wonderful when most of them probably cant even read past a third grade level and it shows when they call in for "help" but god forbid if anyone says anything ..cause then we are the bad guys and shown the door.. I personally cant wait for netflix to go bankrupt and another better company to take its place

"Netflix is racist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits great, free lunch

Cons

They allow someone to be descriminated by supervisors. As he tells me how black i sound, and customers over the phone dont deserve my black attitude. I was actually fired because i had to flex my shift, which was allowed by this 3rd party company Netflix used for scheduling. 2 weeks prior, i flexed some hours and had to take an absense becuase i was unwell. My supervisor told me i couldnt do that. I said ok.....but really didnt get that. If your sick, ur sick. However another person o. Another team i know personally, did it all the time. Crazy, there white!

Advice to Management

Dont allow persons working for u to descriminate against black and other races. Have more control over your people.

"Netflix is the same as working for HBO/Time Warner but everyone trying to pretend you work for Google"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay a ridiculous amount of money.

Cons

Horrible culture, everyone is afraid they will get fired any second. People hire their own friends/groups or people with less skills/experience so they can defend themselves against weaker employees and throw them under the bus. Lord help you if you don't know anyone when you get hired to form a posse' with.

Advice to Management

Stop with all your nonsense pitch deck, it's dated, old and you aren't hired the best talent away from Google, FB, Amazon....the sooner you realize you are just a content company, and maybe pay reasonable salaries with reasonable fostering environment the better. Just ask yourself: how many employees would leave if you cut their salary. Probably every one.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it is."

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

If you are a young, single person very early in your career, you will get paid double what you would elsewhere and learn a lot from smart colleagues--just be sure to get out while it's your decision, and before you burn out, so you can take your knowledge and experience to a company with work/life balance.

Cons

Read the reviews on here. They are an accurate cross-section of experiences that show the reality of working at Netflix and how entirely it depends on your manager, or who gets fired or promoted and suddenly becomes your manager. You will have zero life outside of work, and even if you are someone who could never imagine being considered anything other than a top performer, let alone getting fired, recognize that you--yes, you--will very likely be let go abruptly within your first year--sometimes in a matter of weeks--with no opportunity to improve, at the sole discretion of your manager, who him/herself may or may not be competent or honest. Be sure that you can afford to live in whichever very expensive city you are relocating to with no income, and are willing to explain a firing in your next job search. Political backstabbing is the order of the day. The meeting culture is horrendous and symptomatic of an organization that is growing too rapidly and clutching desperately to a culture that doesn't scale. Ask anyone who has been at Netflix in a leadership or cross-functional position and they will tell you that they spend their entire day in meetings, and then spend all of their nights and weekends at home trying to actually get work done. And finally, if you do survive beyond the first year, don't expect pay progression. They will happily offer you more than whatever you are getting in your current position to bring you in, and then leave your pay stagnant for years if you were already "over market."

Advice to Management

Recruiting away top talent and churning through them with no regard for them as human beings may have been a viable strategy when Netflix was a smaller company, but understand that many of the industries you need to recruit from are small and nearly tapped. Consider the employee experience. Word gets around.

"Don't get comfortable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay, freedom and responsibility.

Cons

Everything else. If you want to work 90 hours a week, have no family life, and still get fired after nothing but glowing reviews, then this place is for you! In my case, I gave direct, actionable feedback about a colleague, and that led to my dismissal. The culture deck says feedback is never used to retaliate - but that's not true at all. So fair warning - if you give someone honest feedback about how to improve in their position, be prepared for that to bite you later on. Politics is real here - people are retained or promoted based on who they know, and people are so routinely fired here, regardless of their performance, that everyone is numb to it.
    Glad to see my time here coming to an end. If you like playing dirty politics at work, then you've found a good place. If you want psychological safety at work, keep moving.

Advice to Management

Don't fire excellent people.

"Culture of Fear"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is amazing, and kitchen is well stocked.

Cons

Hiring is a joke. There is a culture of fear you will get fired, so everyone tends to hire people who are less talented then they are. So you are starting out with B level players hire C who hire D. And all live in fear they will get canned. The code base is blogged about and presented very well, but it's a streaming company. Their value is content and your technology doesn't matter. Rarely do/did we hire anyone away from a real tech company (Google, Apple, Facebook, etc). Those who work here want the money, and then stay to defend their employment status b/c they now spend more and change their lifestyle, versus change their skills by being better engineers.

"Work here if you like working against people."

Pros

Smart people. Challenging problems. Great stock plan.

Cons

Back-stabbing meritocracy. Unorganized development tools.

Advice to Management

Increase developer productivity and communication through the use of standardized development workflows.

"the culture of fear is real"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

top of the market compensation and good product.

Cons

Very political and the culture of fear is real. People will bad-mouth you behind your back, just to save their jobs and since there are no HR processes/rules or documentation, your entire existence will depend on manager. Talking of which, personally I had two managers so far:

One who never led bigger teams before, he said inappropriate/unprofessional things all the time (mind you, Netflix is supposed to hire only experienced people).

The other one was a macho, drinking type. He always favored the ones who went out with him drinking. If you were not into drinking/socializing/alpha male communication style - too bad!

Summary: If you only care about money, this place is for you but if you want an environment with a positive culture you should look elsewhere.