Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Cons

1. "Pays well, high turnover"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Netflix pays it's employees well, salaried employees get "unlimited vacation."

Cons

Extremely high turnover, high pressure environment.

"Can be a great place to work if you "fit in""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly bright individuals to work with. The product is incredible. LOT's of perks and comp is ridiculously good.

Cons

It makes sense why they comp so well. The idea that there is a culture fear is very real. Everyone ramps up differently, but if you don't fit in, then you get cut. Everyday there were constant reminders of consequences if you didn't fit their one hundred something culture deck. Managers give "challenging feedback", but it's really an excuse for them to judge harshly and put you down.

Advice to Management

Take the time to understand peoples strengths and weaknesses. Everyone thinks and works differently, so before giving challenging feedback, consider if it would actually improve the situation.

3. "Technical Sourcer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Netflix as a contractor

Pros

Great team culture with awesome perks

Cons

work life balance was terrible

"Senior Software Engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- compensation
    - from a product perspective: a unique blend of technology & entertainment
    - exciting industry and great business opportunities
    - you will be getting to know how to deal with AWS at scale

Cons

Culture:
    - high turnover
    - many people are staying only for the top of the market paycheck
    - employees adjust lifestyle to high compensation. As a result constant fear of being let go
    - colleagues will throw you under the bus to keep their jobs
    - very political due to lack of company policies/processes
    - any mistakes you make will be used against you (see point #3)
    - 0 empathy, mentorship or compassion
    - no clear career path
    - your experience will largely depend on your manager
    - if you want "psychological safety" go to Google or Facebook instead

Technology:
    - overall very poor code quality
    - most bigger architecture solutions are suboptimal due to "freedom and responsibility" and lack of overall technical vision
    - related to architecture: most technical decisions are completely localized, again due to "freedom and responsibility". As a result, high level of technical debt and meaningless duplication (NIH syndrome at scale)
    - dated technology stack (the most popular tech stack is tomcat/war)

5. "The lack of diversity and lack of initiatives to change this is depressing"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, fun projects, shuttles to many places in the Bay Area. If you're full-time the culture makes it easy to make your little slice of work your own.

Cons

They treat contractors like crap. Well at least this is the case in the department I was in. You are hamstrung by being a contractor and not having access to all information, not even knowing that you need access to this information or not even realizing you are missing information until it's too late. That might not be a problem for all contract positions, but as a project manager, it's essential that we are least made of aware of any news that might possibly affect the components we are in charge of.

The diversity is tragic. It's not as bad as many other Bay Area tech companies, but there is a lot of instances where one sibling gets another one in, one spouse will get another one in, friends from previous employment hire each other to recreate whatever made them leave the original company, etc.

I worked in a department with mainly an international team and when I started there were several comments made by my coworkers about how, because of my nationality, I therefore couldn't possibly understand certain issues like internationalization. I found several of the people to be very condescending if you didn't come from X school or worked at Y company.

The lack of feedback from your manager is non-existent. Again this might just be a contractor thing but for me I found that the majority of my coworkers were happy with my work, my stakeholders were happy with my work, I'd received kudos from my manager, etc. Then when a full-time position came available I applied and was essentially told by my manager that I wasn't good enough. I won't argue that decision because it's subjective but isn't it the Netflix policy that if a manager isn't happy with their employee it's best to just let them go and then find the best fit? After all, if I'm not good enough to be at Netflix then why are still keeping me around? I can only speculate as to the reasons so it's not even worth me writing them here.

Also in general, I know very few contractors since the time I've been here who have been converted to full-time. Some have been here as long as 2 years or longer.

Advice to Management

Don't say you are committed to diversity if you really aren't paying attention to the hiring practices of the B and C level managers who are all too often just hiring their buddies.

Netflix is scaling rapidly with new people and new products. My suggestion would be to find a way to facilitate interdepartmental learnings, this way you don't run the risk of people duplicating efforts.

"senior software engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

good to work and smart people around

Cons

more team work and culture should be improved

Advice to Management

put more focus on teams

7. "work environment"

Former Contractor - Call Center Representative in Fremont, CA
    Former Contractor - Call Center Representative in Fremont, CA

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hourly, free food, clean environment. Good training! No micro management.

Cons

Dont care about your health, will deny any type of doctor notes and count being extremely sick against you

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees are always healthy enough to go into work

"Worst Supervisor Ever!!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, good benefits, nice coworkers

Cons

Everything depends on your Supervisor, if you get the wrong one they will be condescending, demean you, micromanage you and fire you for no logical reason. No explanation, no exit interview, nothing in writing. I had the most unprofessional Supervisor I have ever met.

Advice to Management

Please research why a person was fired. Don't trust your call center Management. They will fire reps for nothing. This could cause possible lawsuits in the future.

"Fool's Gold"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

* Great pay
    * Smart coworkers
    * Good product
    * Business casual dress code

Cons

* With no ladders or levels your performance is 100% based on your direct manager's perception of you.
    * Every person interprets, and practices, the culture deck differently which means you could have a very different experience based on the team you are hired into.
    * Lots of gossip - people try to pass it off as "gathering feedback." Conversations are never truly over or resolved.
    * Recruiting/HR weighs heavily on hiring decisions (the culture piece), however, they have the worst turnover out of any of the teams at Netflix (maybe not so great at assessing culture fit).
    * Recruiters will tell you, "We have the same turnover as any company our size in the Bay Area it's just that our approach is different." However, no one in recruiting can give a specific number as it relates to "normal" attrition.
    * No referral bonus
    * Not enough diversity
    * Quick to fire people and make them think it was their decision.

Advice to Management

* Don't just promote people into management roles because of tenure.
    * If a team has high turnover, it's time to do something about the management of that team.
    * The "Keeper" test should not just be actively used on IC's but all levels of management as well.

"False Advertising"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and snacks.
    Benefits.
    High percentage of PTO accrual, which is being cut in half soon.
    One flexible day off that is impossible to take if you have the beginning of the week off.

Cons

Is definitely numbers driven, even though they tell you it isn't.
    Manipulative management.
    Will use your peers against you.
    Told to ask questions if you don't understand something, but don't answer your questions and rarely give good context.
    Coachings that are supposed to happen every week get pushed off for a few weeks to a month.
    No one is on the same page.
    Your job is on the line after the one day you are sick.
    There is definitely an attendance policy, regardless of what you hear.

Advice to Management

Be up-front with your staff. Follow through on commitments. Be available. Follow your own behaviour standards.