Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Good Compensation, Some Politics"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation, Work Environment, Progressive Culture

Cons

Heavy Group Think, Politics, Cross-Group Collabroation Tough

Advice to Management

Encourage Organizational Dissent

2. "Customer Service"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

-Nice pay rate
    -Easy to do

Cons

-Stressful
    -Upper management not very understanding
    -Terrible scheduling policy

"Netflix Production Review"

Former Employee - Production Assistant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in Denver, CO

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Creative environment, good pay, room for promotion.

Cons

No one really cares as to what the quality of their product will be.

"Getting worse as Netflix grows"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

* Salary
    * Perks (transportation / lunch / swag / celebrations)
    * Business is great, customers are happy
    * Internal tools are generally quite good

Cons

* Too much coordination required to get anything accomplished / too much coupling between systems (in contrast to stated culture)
    * Poor engineering practices on most teams and very difficult to get teams to move to newer technology
    * As company has grown, managers have taken a more active role, to the detriment of the code and architecture
    * No leadership/seniority path for engineers - which also implies all engineers believe that they are special snowflakes. This makes it hard to push for big changes.
    * Engineering talent is decreasing over time.

Advice to Management

Keep the business growing, but realize that the tech organization needs a re-prioritization of effort.

"Even Netflix has its warts"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some amazing people who work at Netflix, the call center supervisors, Workforce Management and Operations Managers genuinely care about giving the best training to employees and pushing themselves to be better. When Netflix says you will work with stunning colleges, this is truly the case in SLC.
    The benefits are top notch and pay is top of market for CS if you are in UT or CA.
    Its also really great to have an amazing brand on your resume.

Cons

You will probably not ever have much development in the SLC CS site. If you take a job there I would plan on only being there short term as you will get burnt out.
    Senior Leadership is very political in the SLC site. They claim they try to stick as close to the corporate culture as possible but regretfully its not true. They say they push for transparent "feedback", but ultimately "feedback" is used as a weapon to get rid of people not jiving with select senior leaders.
    If you are looking for work stability, this is probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Truly stick to the Netflix values, not just when it is in your favor. You may be able to keep amazing employees in the interim but word does gets around and SLC is not an especially large market.

"One of the best companies to work for, one of the worst company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great Base pay.
    - Some of the engineers are really smart and know what they are doing.
    - Free food and well stocked kitchen.
    - Good benefits including unlimited vacation.
    - Stock is doing great!
    -Hackday is always great and something to look for.

Cons

-Innovation is dying at this company. If you compare what the product was in 2011 vs. now, they are mostly playing with video playback in the UI and minor features. Probably the reason being, everyone wants to keep their job and want to have as many projects to continue.
    - Does lot of A/B testing, even for minor text changes. I'm glad they are not in hardware business else would have ruined the company. Felt product team is good, but not sure about what is right and don't have gut feeling on any thing.
    - Engineering teams competes with each other to build tools. Sometimes the work done for 9 months is thrown because other team built tool with cutting-edge technology.
     - Freedom and responsibility is there but it all depends upon on your leader & how much he allows to exercise it.
    - NIH within team syndrome.
    - Managers are sometimes pain and always want to build their 'own' team with 'own' people which discourages existing team.
    - IF you are looking for growth in the team, be careful of which team you are joining.
    - Favoritism is there and if the Mgr is really bad with employees, but good with his boss, he will get promoted. 360 only matters from peers and not from whom you manage.
    - Can't raise question on why we are doing this.If you are not aligned with manager's vision, sorry but you will get axed soon based on ground of technical imcompetency.
    - They try lots of recommendation A/B tests and merch logic but they are not sure if people will watch the title or not.

Ultimately they need to realize they are streaming company which has value in only 1 thing : Content. If you build great product but content is not effective, you are relying on product and not content to sell. If rivals catch up on product , its an issue.

Advice to Management

Hire the people who have long term vision and who questions the authority on why we are doing this and not encourage who aligns with you. Don't want to see another qwikster debacle.

7. "Great company, but not forever"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Great experience and challenging problems

Cons

Zero work life balance at all levels

Advice to Management

Hire more people to alleviate workloads

"Fun ride, fast pace and changes (including your job)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good pay
    The base pay is very attractive. While it ends up being pretty equal to other companies' total comp, it is enticing to get it up front in your base pay. No guessing on how the company will perform. But understand it is iffy as to whether you will make much more beyond your initial offer.

- Interesting challenges
    They really are willing to challenge the status quo and test new ideas. Things are not always arrived at efficiently, but it is great to see innovation throughout the company and not just in tech groups.

- Growing company with solid successes
    After being at some tech companies in a downward spiral, it was refreshing to be on the upswing and enjoy the possibilities that come with performing well.

Cons

- Benefits are weirdly inconsistent
    Amazing maternity leave but I had to pay quite a bit out-of-pocket for decent family health benefits, bizarre stock option plan, weak vision/dental

- The culture of fear is real in some groups
    This is because it depends on your leader. Some leaders manage up well and hide their incompetence by constantly changing their staff. I was the 3 leader of my team in a 4-year period. Also leadership does not enforce the same "stunning colleague" standards for non-critical orgs.

- HR is fairly ineffective (except staffing is great)
    HRBPs enable incompetent leaders because they are dependent on them. If a leader gains new teams then typically the HR person gets bigger scope as well. If the business leader doesn't "connect" well with their HRBP, you are likely to see the HRBP get a "generous severance package."

- Your job can change fast, both good and bad
    Be prepared that you can gain new teams and responsibilities quickly, but you can also go from being stunning to out the door in a matter of weeks. I think people get the high standards communication really well from the culture deck, but the speed with which your personal circumstances will change can be shockingly fast.

Advice to Management

Please apply the same quality standards to all parts of business leadership. And weigh a leader's ability by more than their ability to manage up. You know there are some weak leaders on your executive staff right now. Will you do what is easy for you (turn a blind eye to it) or do what is right and best for the employees?

"Executive Assistant"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Collaborative environment, excellent pay and perks.

Cons

Very long hours. You have to be available all the time. They fire without much notice or warning to make proper changes.

Advice to Management

Give employees a chance to prove themselves beyond a short time. Everyone has to grow and learn the culture before becoming a 'stunning colleague'.

"CSR I"

Former Employee - Csr1 in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience , Training , and Freedom of expression

Cons

Leadership , Punishments (and lack there of) favoritism

Advice to Management

I was contracted for netflix as a CSR . During my time there , I worked as hard as I could because I genuinely loved my job and where I worked . This specific location in clearwater is nice because they do give you a lot to do while on the phone and during idle time . There's foosball , a ping pong table , and a " NRD lab" where they have probably 8 tvs on the wall where they play different netflix tv shows and movies ( Supposed to be SFW but sometimes , especially very late at night we could watch whatever we wanted) There were also multiple tv's across the floor in about half of the pods and sometimes they would put on sports games and things to keep us happy . If you take all of that into consideration it sounds pretty great. All in all , I think most people there genuinely want to get the job done as quickly and efficiently as possible . The biggest issue they have is the people who are put into management . Even before I was there , there had been a line of people who all had been promoted purely because they were close with the right people . When it came to promotions ( To either CSR II or TL ) there was no rhyme or reason really what so ever. When you were put up for a promotion , they would tell you that it was going to be based off of stats, attendance, and professionalism . That is not usually what ended up happening . In my experience there the person that had some personal tie to either a specific TL or OM would always be the one to get the promotion . It was this way for absences as well . The attendance policy is on a rolling 60 day timeframe . That means ; you may not have more than 4 "Occurrences" in 60 days or you would come up for review . When occurrences were actually given was definitely not regulated. The way around this is just basically to take 3 days off in a row if you're going to call off . People would apply for a weekend off and never be able to get it because they didn't allow very many requests those days . So the solution that they came up with is that if you were close to a TL , you could get them to put you on a MLOA or a PLOA . Better yet , be friends with an OM and you can literally just call them like your personal attendance line and get VTO (Voluntary time off) . Favorites WERE played. Now , there are some GREAT people there. I met some really really great friends there . But the problem is that they don't have a great way of dealing with anything . If something went down , there was no uniform way of dealing with it . When controversial topics would come out we were basically told not to say anything conflicting or anything that could get us or them into trouble. But when it comes to people calling screaming at you about a show called "Dear White People" calling you racist and asking RIDICULOUS questions , the "No comment" thing doesn't really work . Your performance is based off of handle time, Re contact rate , and your survey answers mostly . The Highest you are allowed for dissatisfaction is 4% I believe (It may have changed now I'm not sure ) That means you are counting on someone being merciful on their bad day , and that the kid who called you through the app who you HAVE TO send to survey doesn't hit you as well . The last thing I will say , is that the scheduling is based off of performance and attendance . Not like that is a huge issue , but the problem is that there are not very many earlier schedules . I would say there is probably 7 teams on the floor from 6 AM until 1-3PM and even then they are sending people home left and right most mornings . After 3 there is a lot of calls and you usually will be on the phones non stop until around 10 or 11 when it slows down. There are over night schedules, but you have to START working after 8PM to get the extra dollar and they cut the overnight teams down to 1 or 2 when I was there . This means that if you don't get almost perfect stats , you may be given a bad rank during the quarterly shift bids , and get stuck with a schedule that you can't work or just simply don't want . Maybe one or two schedules have weekends off and those obviously get taken first . I will let you take from this what you will . It is a great way to get your foot in the door . The company I am with now JUMPED at the chance to hire me because of the experience I gained here. Not only will it help you professionally , I gained a lot of technical experience and now am looking toward a career in IT . Just don't allow yourself to get swallowed up in the machine and you can definitely be successful .