Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated March 12, 2017

Current Employees

Pros
Cons
  • you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 48 reviews)

• Finance lives in a culture of fear (in 21 reviews)

"The best job I've had, and at times, the worst job I've had"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Netflix has some great pros. You'll be working with mostly extremely competent people. Dealing with teams within the company is extremely easy, as most people are very helpful and efficient. They pay you a lot of money, and give you perks like free food, paid cell phone bill, 401k, etc. This is all great, but for me, the biggest draw is always people, and your team will make or break your experience here, so make sure you know what you are getting into at the interview, and don't accept jobs with teams that you don't feel excited about being part of.

Cons

The high salary leads some people to ramp up their lifestyles, they then become dependent on being here. This in turn creates a culture of fear where people are constantly stressing out that they are "not doing enough" and might be fired any minute. This also extends to the directors of teams, and when your management is stressed, it will always trickle down to create a lousy experience for you.
    This makes for an extremely toxic environment at times where teams are often working on similar projects, thus competing against each other to stay relevant, which is just utter idiocy. The high pay ensures that there is way more politicking than would be needed or appropriate in such situations. This in turn can have a very demoralizing effect on the peons doing the actual work, who often feel compelled to work on nights, weekends and public holidays for goals that are often vague, and projects that are often shelved. The most insidious effect of this is observed when people contemplate taking PTO, when many employees have told me that they weren't able to relax or take as much time off as they needed, as they were constantly wondering what would happen to their jobs, and whether or not they were doing enough to "deserve" time off. If you've never felt this, it's a rotten state of mind, and you will feel it quite a bit here.
    Many times, I've felt the need to quit the field altogether, but the money and my team makes me stay for now, so I'll likely stay till my team changes.

Moral of the story here is: You'll get paid a lot. You'll also likely be laid off sooner than you expect. You'll also likely make a LOT less at your next place. Adjust for your standard of living appropriately so you can keep your head above the circus fray, and don't get used to the good things.

Advice to Management

More communication with your teams is absolutely essential if you want to retain good people, but you don't need a Glassdoor review to tell you that. Empower your HR teams to instill the idea that taking time off is a healthy part of working here, and no one should feel nervous about taking time off. You will need to say this many times before it becomes part of the culture.

Ensure that teams are not competing against each other, specifically in the Engineering department. We are not here to throw each other off our respective ladders, but to learn, and to help the company grow as a result of what we learn here. Cross-collaboration between teams should be of the utmost priority, not working at cross-purposes as is the case with many teams now.

For the most part, this is a good place to be. Make it better, and make more of an effort at every level to keep the organization flat. We already have job insecurity, we do not need hierarchy to make it worse.

"Rockstar coworkers, freedom and responsibility"

Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rockstar coworkers, no brilliant jerks
    excellent pay, no vacation policy or tracking
    fast paced environment, minimal distractions and no unnecessary process - get loads of work done everyday.
    I can tell my friends I work in showbiz :)

Cons

None that I can think of, really. I guess the culture might take a bit adjusting to if you are not used to it.

"False Advertising"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and snacks.
    Benefits.
    High percentage of PTO accrual, which is being cut in half soon.
    One flexible day off that is impossible to take if you have the beginning of the week off.

Cons

Is definitely numbers driven, even though they tell you it isn't.
    Manipulative management.
    Will use your peers against you.
    Told to ask questions if you don't understand something, but don't answer your questions and rarely give good context.
    Coachings that are supposed to happen every week get pushed off for a few weeks to a month.
    No one is on the same page.
    Your job is on the line after the one day you are sick.
    There is definitely an attendance policy, regardless of what you hear.

Advice to Management

Be up-front with your staff. Follow through on commitments. Be available. Follow your own behaviour standards.

"good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High-performing culture
    Unlimited vacation
    Pick your time to work
    Great pay

Cons

High performing culture
    If you get a manager that micro-manages it becomes annoying
    Too date driven while sacrificing quality - for a QA professional that's hard to take

"Culture of High Performance"

Current Employee - Training and Development Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Training and Development Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

What makes this location great is that the culture of high performance really helps you to grow, excel, learn and develop at a high level. While it can feel demanding at times, this actually has helped me to grow, offering many opportunities for growth that apply to any type of job I may want in the future.

Cons

As stated above, the job is high performance. Which means that the jobs here may not be the right fit for everyone. But for the right person, it's a great place.

7. "Freedom & Responsibility"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

The best company I've ever worked at. Read the culture deck - every word of it is true and actively practiced.

Cons

None. Workload can be a bit intense at times but that's to be expected.

Advice to Management

As we expand internationally, make sure that we maintain our culture and values

"LOVE IT"

Current Employee - Content Distribution Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Content Distribution Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture makes every day a superior work experience. I have stellar colleagues and interesting challenges every day. I look forward to coming to work every day.

Cons

High performance is expected at all times which is not challenging by itself, but it can wear you down if you don't handle stress well.

"CSR"

Current Employee - Csr1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, the pay is decent, and the work is easy overall. They offer cool perks like free drinks and some free snacks as well as subsidized meals in their cafe and free Netflix!

Cons

They sell you on a culture that's isn't as they say. They tell you they're not numbers driven and you won't be punished for your numbers, yet everyone is obsessed with their numbers as well as the managers.

Advice to Management

Tell it like it is, if numbers are a priority let your new hires know up front.

10. "website"

Current Employee - Senior Web UI Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web UI Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

share knowledge with smart people from the world.

Cons

Sometimes exhausting long works at company

"Unless you are hyperactive do not apply"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Netflix (More than a year)

Pros

You can be yourself. It's not complicated to help the customers. The job itself is very easy if you are competent.

Cons

While they do not technically discriminate against you because of your age, if you are not either on a constant caffeine induced hyperactive episode or just naturally one of those people who are hyper all day everyday. You will be utterly miserable here. The performance standards require so much speed you have to be in a constant frenzy to meet them.

Advice to Management

obviously this is a company that doesn't want to retain its employees long enough for the health insurance benefits or vacation bonuses to become available. If you're not in management by the time you've been there 2 years you are burned out and have quit the job.