Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated July 5, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Would have been excellent with a different supervisor."

Former Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's incredibly easy work. Good pay, requires a fair amount of patience and people skills.
    Free m&m's and a drink dispensers, cool cafeteria for a call center.

Cons

In my time of working for NetflixCS, I was stressed mentally and physically, they use losing your job against you in every single humanly mishap that could happen, emergency with the kids? Not excusable or ability to have excusal by reasonable cause, they literally tell you after the first time that your job will be on the line if you are so much as 5 minutes late again. Get something a little mixed up on the knowledge base? You're on thin ice. I feel as if I started feeling this way once they had moved me to a new team. This "supervisor" was bossy, not a leader. Raised her voice and talked to few on the team like children. They were smart and switched teams after a few occurrences of her demonstrating her work ethic. I decided, I can change my schedule soon I don't want to make a fuss, so I stayed next thing I know I'm one of the leaders on the team we had a coaching and all she did for the first time ever was acknowledge my hard work, I was proud. After all the fear of f'ing up and losing my job I realized I could relax. A week later I was fired because I had to miss 1 day because my 2 year old daughter had strep, mind you this, my sup was constantly late or leaving early for non emergency type situations, was constantly on her phone on the call floor, for non work related types of things such as looking through social media and online shopping, there is an example of blatant favoritism. I knew people who missed much more time than I had, and had never even been spoken too, or threatened. I would take this to hr but as my sup said when terming me, the decision is final and I will not longer be working at Netflix customer service.

Advice to Management

You really need to review how your employees feel with their supervisors. If you want the ACE you have to be fair and flexible with your employees concerns. You lost a very good, and determined employee because of poor placement and no flexibility with attendance, considering there was never PTO available or sick days. Even others employees at the site did not understand why I was fired. That's something to think about. I know I'm not the only one from this specific team that feels the same way.

"Worst management"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Netflix itself is awesome. Who wouldn't want to work there right? Free coffee, cheap awesome meals, rad break room, awesome coworkers, you can choose your own breaks.

Cons

Netflix is probably one of the worst places I've worked, and that's saying something. They give you a guideline saying you follow things as it goes and you don't have a script. Yet when you're not understanding something completely, instead of helping you and showing you how to do it..they lecture you and expect you to get it right. When you ask "what is the right way to do it?" They say there is no right way. (but there definitely is a wrong way!) If you don't get it right after the lecture they just fire you.

Advice to Management

Management needs to change everything and start from scratch, they need to help people who don't understand and give them time to show they are trying. Everyone makes mistakes and can grow and you don't understand this concept at all even though you claim this whole "fail well" thing. You don't help anyone, you just get rid of them and find someone else, and that does not look well.

"Fat paycheck and Nothing else beyond that"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Fat paycheck that is above the industry norm. It is all cash no stock grants, so they give you freedom to spend/invest the money as you want. If all you care about is the money this is the perfect place for you to work.

Cons

Very political environment. Management is clueless and is more interested in promoting themselves to upper mangement. Suck up and kick down culture. No collaboration between teams, they are out to get each other and throw you under the bus. Constant fear pervades within Individual contributor roles as they are not sure if they will be around next week. Company HR brags about how they are not shy about letting people go.

Advice to Management

Wake up before the company is driven into ground. As the culture says freedom and responsibility, there are no financial controls on many things. Lot of spend activities that are bordering unethical.

"Complete Lies"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix as a contractor

Pros

They say they encourage diversity

Cons

They will outcast you for being diverse

Advice to Management

New hires are expected to be experts after two weeks of training and that includes only one week of taking calls!!!!

"Not good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, time off, some nice people...

Cons

Random firings, no job security, arrogant management, long hours, etc.

Advice to Management

Get yourself grounded.

"Bait and switch"

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wasn't looking to change jobs, Netflix found me and offered me a very generous salary and relocation to leave my employer. I loved my job but it only lasted 4 months after they hired someone from another big company and he wanted to bring in his own team. I was still in corporate housing when they let me go. They said the new manager didn't have chemistry with me but I had only met with him twice and he had only been working there for two weeks before he decided to let me go over said "chemistry". The new guy was very unprofessional and treated me in ways that do not align with the Netflix culture. I talked to the VP that hired me and he said he was very sorry and that I had done nothing wrong and didn't need to change a thing but that he had to support this other guy in his decision. I wish things would've worked out different but I did enjoyed my time while there.

Cons

You can be let go without warning based on very little substance to support it. They have many reasons they can let you go but they never talk about the unjustified reasons. Think twice about relocating for them.

Advice to Management

Don't seek talent out and then let them go over an opinion of someone that has only been there for two weeks.

"Suck ups go far"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, lots of swag and watching TV while you work.

Cons

Favoritism gets you everywhere! Performance doesn't matter as much as kissing supervisor behind. They aren't EOE like they claim, if you get on their radar they'll nit pick looking for any reason to let you go. People disappear and are never spoken of again. You're treated like a drone.

Advice to Management

Hire supervisors that reward good performance and not the personalities they gravitate toward.

"Culture of fear, very political"

Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

- Pay top of market
    - Catered lunches

Cons

- Culture deck not true in all departments, department heads/middle management are not consistent
    - Intense fear-driven culture, must be political to find success/happiness, cannot trust your colleagues/managers
    - Limited growth within your role and within the organization
    - They have created robotic positions so you are simply a part of an assembly line

Advice to Management

Rewrite the culture deck to accurately represent life within the organization or work to transform the company culture to what you commit to on paper

"No"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Netflix (Less than a year)

Pros

Same amount of hours on paycheck each week .

Cons

Bullying upper management was the worst a lot of games played , way to many ways to be let go by just coming to work , Didn't enjoy my experience, no room for advancement

Advice to Management

Grow up , learn how to treat people .

"Unprofessional Practices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

No pros working for this company

Cons

I got hired on with a start date of December 4th, then on November 30th received an email telling me they were going with others more qualified. Based on my experience they probably overhired and then decided too late to cancel the training class. I hope not too many people turned down other jobs to work here only to hear they were no longer needed.

Advice to Management

Do not overhire and then tell people 4 days before they are to start that they no longer have a job.