Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated November 14, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • stands by culture deck, 'freedom and responsibility' is not a buzz phrase but reality, treated like an adult, no micromanagement (in 49 reviews)

• Creative environment, good pay, room for promotion (in 32 reviews)

"Senior Software Engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- compensation
    - from a product perspective: a unique blend of technology & entertainment
    - exciting industry and great business opportunities
    - you will be getting to know how to deal with AWS at scale

Cons

Culture:
    - high turnover
    - many people are staying only for the top of the market paycheck
    - employees adjust lifestyle to high compensation. As a result constant fear of being let go
    - colleagues will throw you under the bus to keep their jobs
    - very political due to lack of company policies/processes
    - any mistakes you make will be used against you (see point #3)
    - 0 empathy, mentorship or compassion
    - no clear career path
    - your experience will largely depend on your manager
    - if you want "psychological safety" go to Google or Facebook instead

Technology:
    - overall very poor code quality
    - most bigger architecture solutions are suboptimal due to "freedom and responsibility" and lack of overall technical vision
    - related to architecture: most technical decisions are completely localized, again due to "freedom and responsibility". As a result, high level of technical debt and meaningless duplication (NIH syndrome at scale)
    - dated technology stack (the most popular tech stack is tomcat/war)

2. "The lack of diversity and lack of initiatives to change this is depressing"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, fun projects, shuttles to many places in the Bay Area. If you're full-time the culture makes it easy to make your little slice of work your own.

Cons

They treat contractors like crap. Well at least this is the case in the department I was in. You are hamstrung by being a contractor and not having access to all information, not even knowing that you need access to this information or not even realizing you are missing information until it's too late. That might not be a problem for all contract positions, but as a project manager, it's essential that we are least made of aware of any news that might possibly affect the components we are in charge of.

The diversity is tragic. It's not as bad as many other Bay Area tech companies, but there is a lot of instances where one sibling gets another one in, one spouse will get another one in, friends from previous employment hire each other to recreate whatever made them leave the original company, etc.

I worked in a department with mainly an international team and when I started there were several comments made by my coworkers about how, because of my nationality, I therefore couldn't possibly understand certain issues like internationalization. I found several of the people to be very condescending if you didn't come from X school or worked at Y company.

The lack of feedback from your manager is non-existent. Again this might just be a contractor thing but for me I found that the majority of my coworkers were happy with my work, my stakeholders were happy with my work, I'd received kudos from my manager, etc. Then when a full-time position came available I applied and was essentially told by my manager that I wasn't good enough. I won't argue that decision because it's subjective but isn't it the Netflix policy that if a manager isn't happy with their employee it's best to just let them go and then find the best fit? After all, if I'm not good enough to be at Netflix then why are still keeping me around? I can only speculate as to the reasons so it's not even worth me writing them here.

Also in general, I know very few contractors since the time I've been here who have been converted to full-time. Some have been here as long as 2 years or longer.

Advice to Management

Don't say you are committed to diversity if you really aren't paying attention to the hiring practices of the B and C level managers who are all too often just hiring their buddies.

Netflix is scaling rapidly with new people and new products. My suggestion would be to find a way to facilitate interdepartmental learnings, this way you don't run the risk of people duplicating efforts.

"senior software engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

good to work and smart people around

Cons

more team work and culture should be improved

Advice to Management

put more focus on teams

4. "work environment"

Former Contractor - Call Center Representative in Fremont, CA
    Former Contractor - Call Center Representative in Fremont, CA

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hourly, free food, clean environment. Good training! No micro management.

Cons

Dont care about your health, will deny any type of doctor notes and count being extremely sick against you

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees are always healthy enough to go into work

"Fool's Gold"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

* Great pay
    * Smart coworkers
    * Good product
    * Business casual dress code

Cons

* With no ladders or levels your performance is 100% based on your direct manager's perception of you.
    * Every person interprets, and practices, the culture deck differently which means you could have a very different experience based on the team you are hired into.
    * Lots of gossip - people try to pass it off as "gathering feedback." Conversations are never truly over or resolved.
    * Recruiting/HR weighs heavily on hiring decisions (the culture piece), however, they have the worst turnover out of any of the teams at Netflix (maybe not so great at assessing culture fit).
    * Recruiters will tell you, "We have the same turnover as any company our size in the Bay Area it's just that our approach is different." However, no one in recruiting can give a specific number as it relates to "normal" attrition.
    * No referral bonus
    * Not enough diversity
    * Quick to fire people and make them think it was their decision.

Advice to Management

* Don't just promote people into management roles because of tenure.
    * If a team has high turnover, it's time to do something about the management of that team.
    * The "Keeper" test should not just be actively used on IC's but all levels of management as well.

"Worst Supervisor Ever!!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, good benefits, nice coworkers

Cons

Everything depends on your Supervisor, if you get the wrong one they will be condescending, demean you, micromanage you and fire you for no logical reason. No explanation, no exit interview, nothing in writing. I had the most unprofessional Supervisor I have ever met.

Advice to Management

Please research why a person was fired. Don't trust your call center Management. They will fire reps for nothing. This could cause possible lawsuits in the future.

"NA"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

An offer you cant resist

Cons

You will literally quit a decent job to come here thinking you have found something great only to find that you have stepped in front of an immature high school firing squad. There is no obectivity to the termination process so any of them could terminate for unethical reasons that are summed up in the phrase, you are not a high performer or you weren't a right fit. There constantly breathing down your neck and watching you looking for you to do something wrong. THeres little warning. Generally you get one. If your lucky or buddy buddy with with management or the supes you might get a bit more slack, maybe a lot more. If they dont like what they see they could be rid of you in less than a month and they openly joke about terminating people and about how expendable you are from day one. I read the reviews on here and went in and smellled the fish immediately. FIrst off they bring on a ton of people all the time for an amazing job so where do they end up. All of this is contingent on whether they decide if you are fit for production. You could be let go at the end of training and they dont give you any metrics on how that decision is made.

Advice to Management

Remember that you are giving skilled people an amazing offer that leads many to leave stable employment. By making impossibly high expectations with no metrics applied to the termination process the vast majority wont hit the mark and office politics will govern the termination process. Luring people into a firing pit hurts them and there families and puts a dent in there career. Remember that. Your hurting people.

"False Advertising"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and snacks.
    Benefits.
    High percentage of PTO accrual, which is being cut in half soon.
    One flexible day off that is impossible to take if you have the beginning of the week off.

Cons

Is definitely numbers driven, even though they tell you it isn't.
    Manipulative management.
    Will use your peers against you.
    Told to ask questions if you don't understand something, but don't answer your questions and rarely give good context.
    Coachings that are supposed to happen every week get pushed off for a few weeks to a month.
    No one is on the same page.
    Your job is on the line after the one day you are sick.
    There is definitely an attendance policy, regardless of what you hear.

Advice to Management

Be up-front with your staff. Follow through on commitments. Be available. Follow your own behaviour standards.

"Needs a lot of improvement"

Pros

Great benefits, great dental, awesome Co workers and theyve put a good bit of money on making the cafeteria and building nice.

Cons

Well, where to start.... Management all have different expectatiins and different styles. You can be the star of one team, switch teams, and be given warnings. No one Is in the same page. Their attendance policy is not followed well by management Or Hr. I was told I could take a day off by Hr after a certain date with no issue. So a few days after the date I was given I took the day off that I desperately needed and was fired next day. No prior warnings or attendance issues. Hr gave me the OK and then are the ones that fired me. I think that days a lot about how well this place rubs.

Advice to Management

Be clear and Honest with your expectations. Sure, we live in a right to work state but you'll quickly become another convergys the way you handle situations and treat employees. Also, get everyone on the same page. Aht, dsat and verbiage should be have a pretty universal expectation between all sups. But that simply is not the case.

"Will fire without warning"

Pros

I actually didn't mind working there, the atmosphere is great and for the most part the people are really nice. It is still a call center so of course that won't be for everybody but they try to make up for it with benefits, pay and free food and drinks while at work.

Cons

My husband and I used to work there, we both have some medical issues and were working with HR to get accommodation for that since we can't always work 40 hours a week. We had all the paperwork set up with them and had everything figured out, the paperwork was supposedly supposed to protect our jobs when we had to miss work because of that condition. Then one day they CALLED both of us, called, they waited for a day we weren't working and then called rather than bring us in in person which I thought was low, and then they fired us both on the same day saying that it was for attendance purposes and that they had given us warnings. Both my husband and I were shocked because we had been working with HR all this time and thought it had been taken care of and was going to be ok. We didn't get any warning whatsoever, every time we met with HR they would just say make sure to get the paperwork in, make sure you're here when you're supposed to or we might have to "separate employment", but we never got any formal warning, or anything to indicate, hey we're really close to firing you or anything like that. It just really sucked.

Advice to Management

Implement a point system for corrective action. Give people verbal warnings, written warnings etc just so that people know where they stand and don't just assume that they are ok and then just get fired without knowing.