Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated May 17, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 48 reviews)

• Finance lives in a culture of fear (in 21 reviews)

"Have a backup plan"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Many of the people who work here are top performers. Many companies say they only hire the best yet it feels more consistent here. High bar to get in. Free snacks and flexible time.

Cons

Management can and will fire you for any reason they want. Don't make the mistake thinking it can only be performance related. There are no guidelines to how long it takes to terminate you. Before you know a pink slip may be handed to you. I saw people get fired without anyone understanding why.

Corporate culture wants people who strive to make the company better. Most are simply yes-men to keep their high salary job.

Not very diverse. Walk around campus for 5 minutes and it's clear the demographic they target.

"Get in, Don't Expect to Stay, Get out quick!"

Former Employee - Content Partner Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Content Partner Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Forward thinking office culture, catered lunches and snacks, nice vacation/maternity/paternity leave policies. You get to work on a product that everyone consumes and is passionate about. Peers are smart and talented (for the most part). People are interested in your job and want to talk about it.

Cons

Culture of fear, office politics and weak leadership make for a stressful experience. Turnover is high, so expect to say goodbye to colleagues frequently. Firings (in my experience) have been trivial and never a true reflection of overall performance- after all, we work everyday with these people. Brain drain since nobody stays longer than a couple years. I have witnessed multiple people leave (without being fired) for better opportunities. In my opinion, with all the optimization and automation, the department will need to be scaled down in the upcoming future. Not the place if you want job security. Very little to zero potential to grow or advance your role.

Advice to Management

Your attitudes and policies advance the culture of fear and office politics. Improve your leadership strategy and resources and combat the office politics you help linger.

3. "Bad management / incorrect stats"

Former Employee - Csr1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*good pay
    *full time & overtime available
    *cafeteria is awesome
    *friendly staff

Cons

-Bad management
    -unexperienced supervisors
    -negative feedback overall / no positive
    -negative manipulative tactics

Advice to Management

* provide positive feedback , constructive criticism , and attainable goals. Praise hard work and acknowledge/reward when goals are met . If you hound and pressure the team all day with negative feedback and don't acknowledge they're already trying , it is not motivating or encouraging and doesn't allow us to focus on what's most important ; taking care of our customers and fixing their issues with amazing service. Also keep it professional with your team , flirting and dirty conversations should be on your own time in your own area not everyone wants to hear / see it .

"Worst call center work ever"

Former Employee - CSR2 in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - CSR2 in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Locker room to shower in after riding bike to work. Not having to engage Sr Management who always hid on the Bridge.

Cons

No way for raises or growth professionally. Saw 18 Supervisors escorted out of building one by one by management, who were the first round of cuts after over staffing. High turnover. You cannot expect problems to be solved in 4:20 and basing a metric if the customers happy with a Y or N answer and only allowing 5/100 to be no was ridiculous.

"great spot to make a quick buck"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fremont, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair hourly wage
    Catered breakfast/lunch
    Performance based shift bids

Cons

Make one mistake and you're out of there

"Better places to work than here unless you enjoy irate customers who get totally upset over minor things."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provide fairly well-stocked break room and often spring for pizza for everybody.

Cons

Management can't seem to get a grip on what method to use to manage operations and employees. Ever-changing operations plans leave employees bewildered and often paranoid.

Advice to Management

Yes, you're making tons of money and your stock is exorbitantly and obscenely high, but it's all at the expense of your employees. Learn how to manage people with a little respect for the individual and stop changing the workplace standard operating procedures so often. It confuses the masses, including those who manage and supervise.

"Will fire you for being 2 minutes late."

Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Great facility. Relaxed atmosphere once you get there

Cons

Will fire you for being late no matter what the reason

"Trapped & Talented"

Current Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lunch, healthcare, experience and unlimited vacations.

Cons

No growth and the culture IS too good to be true, we live and breed fear.

Advice to Management

Management fears there own position that they can't efficiently manage their team.

"Great Company, Inexperienced Management"

Current Employee - Purchasing in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Product, Driven culture, Cross Team Collaboration.

Cons

There are a couple of cons that seem to be proving to become obstacles for productivity. My Director loves to bully and has fired the valuable individuals on our team. She is afraid of anyone that is smarter than her that also contributes and gets recognized for their contribution. Instead of building a great team, sadly this Director manages two unrelated teams with no knowledge on how to manage either. She thrives on driving fear. Sad as most of the people here are genuinely great people.

Advice to Management

Don't sacrifice two great teams for a poor director.

"I feel like I'm on a sinking ship..."

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many left, pay is decent, oatmeal and ramen in the breakroom, that's about it.

Cons

Been here 5 years with top stats never had a raise but did get a pay cut. Overwhelming sense of managers whispering behind closed doors. Pretty much anyone can get fired anytime for literally any reason. Doesn't matter how good you are at your job, I haven't talked to a supervisor or manager in months. Constant calls with limited out-dated knowledge base to refer to. No notice on changes or training after initial hiring. Fear based environment. If you have any other option it's probably better.

Advice to Management

This used to be such a nice place to work... now we are cattle herded through troughs.