Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 48 reviews)

• Finance lives in a culture of fear (in 21 reviews)

""Freedom & Responsibility" for real"

Current Employee - Web QA Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Web QA Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

We all have an incredible opportunity to change the way people discover entertainment. As our business has grown more complex, we've chosen to retain and hire only the best of the best. This has allowed us to deal with complexity through intelligence instead of through process and layers of management. We stay nimble and trust talented individuals to understand the context of the business. We make good decisions based on that context. We minimize chaos and maximize productivity. It's remarkably energizing to work with 'scary smart' people. It allows us to all reach a little farther because we know that if we stumble there will be people right there with us to keep us from falling. Screwing up doesn't get you fired, as long as you clean it up, learn from it and do it better the next time. Everybody has the freedom to do their jobs how they think it is best done. With that freedom comes responsibility for delivering on those ideas.

Cons

It's a lot of work. A lot of difficult, painstaking work. There's enormous pressure to always be getting more done, and doing it faster and better. Fortunately, there's also a lot of really reasonable people that will understand if something doesn't get done because of shifting priorities or unforeseen circumstances. The pressure is there, but it's self-imposed and everyone shares it.

Advice to Management

Push more information down, and push it down harder, because there's only so much that can be pulled from the bottom. It's impractical to still have Metrics out by the fountain, but seek and find an equivalent channel that captures that same immediacy and intimacy. Trading windows be damned, get the data into the hands of the people that need it to make decisions and plan their work.

"Reed is a strong leader with a vision, and has gathered great people to help him make the vision real."

Current Employee - Engineering Director in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Director in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

You should consider working at Netflix if you like to work with passionate and smart people in an environment almost devoid of politics.
    At Netflix, many decisions are data-driven. Collecting data to be able to be smart about the business is so ingrained into the culture and so obviously right that, after a while, one is amazed when friends or business partners in other companies tell you that it's not how it works in their world.
    There is a great sense of mutual respect among the people who work there.
    Things do change fast, and that can be a bit disconcerting if you don't like the thrill :-). On the other hand, hard, but necessary decisions are made promptly.
    If you're at a stage of your life where you want or must take it easy for a while, Netflix is not for you. The pace here does not allow for slacking, and you'll either stand out like a sore thumb, or you're pulled into the race.

Cons

You will be spoiled by all the common sense that wafts through the hallways.
    Netflix is probably not right for you if you're looking for a big title (e.g. "architect"). The organization is very flat, and there are not a lot of traditional career growth opportunities. However, you will grow personally and professionally even if your title stays the same for years.

Advice to Management

Keep rocking.

"Best company I have worked for in my 25 year career."

Current Employee - Director, UI Engineering in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Director, UI Engineering in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

I am treated like an adult. The work is exciting. The management is top notch. The pay is great. It is a "getting things done" type of company. Home/work balance is excellent. We keep process to a minimum and encourage innovation. Best company I have worked for (25 year career). Loved by customers with a highly rated user experience that is tested by rigorous quantitative and qualitative analysis.

Cons

If you want a greenfield experience or the open-endedness of a start up then Netflix is not for you. Netflix is relentless on culling stuff that does not fit in the major focus. Some people might find that constraining (the rationale is focused on what works best for users). It is a high-performance culture so if you aren't a high performer you won't like it.

Advice to Management

Thank you for modeling the way to run a company.

"Netflix is a great place for star performers to shine"

Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Netflix is a great place for highly talented people to work. Time and time again I am impressed by the capability of my colleagues and our ability to work together as a team. The company also has a very clear strategy and is very focused on executing that strategy, which is great because we don't have a lot of ancillary distractions.

Cons

If you are not a high performer, you will not last long at Netflix. The company is not afraid to fire people and it happens on a routine basis.

Advice to Management

Senior management should keep going down their current path. They are doing a great job, especially on the strategy of building out the streaming service - the results have been impressive to date but there is a long way to go.

6. "A leader who never, never takes his eye off the ball."

Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

You will be surrounded by brilliant, competent, mature, hard working peers. You will be challenged to exceed your past accomplishments. It's a big company that strives to maintain a small company feel. Office politics are 99% absent; you are expected to focus on your work and you can expect from your peers that you will not be distracted by gossip or personality clashes. Netflix is a place that is very aware of its culture and everyone inside works hard to maintain it. Everybody you know outside of work loves Netflix, and they will let you know when it comes up that you work there.

Cons

Specific tactics will often seem opaque to newbies.

Advice to Management

Communicate more regarding tactics and organization.

"Netflix is-a company that truly encourages innovative thinking and risk taking."

Current Employee - Vice President in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

The Cluture is the best at any company that I have worked, both big and small.

Cons

It has very high turn-over.

Advice to Management

None - best run company I have ever been exposed to.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Vice President in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Innovation, intelligent people, incredible brand, incredible business model

Cons

Don't think about working for Netflix if a high risk/reward model is not for you

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing

9. "Enjoy risk taking? This is or isn't the company for you!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Fast paced, dynamic, not afraid to try something different to make the company better. That means not everything is a win, but the company is honest about what hasn't worked out and doesn't hold on because of ego or prior investment.

Cons

Jarring environment for traditionalists or those who have grown accustomed to political systems.

Advice to Management

Keep the pace alive and fluid

"Really great place to work (if it's a culture fit)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

My favorite thing about Netflix is being surrounded by a ridiculously talented group of people who are also fun to work with. Management provides a clear compass about the priorities of the company, and that makes it easy for teams to prioritize their projects appropriately. The next few years are going to be really interesting, with the company making the transition from a really good DVD by mail service to a great way to get movies by mail or over the internet.

Cons

Netflix has a very strong defined culture, and if you fit that culture, it's a fabulous place to work. If the underlying philosophies don't mesh well with how you see the world, it can be a painful place to work. If you're thinking about taking a job at Netflix, take time to investigate the culture fit. I haven't seen anyone be successful here if the culture fit is off.

Advice to Management

don't get cocky

"Netflix is a great place for hard working, talented people."

Current Employee - Director of Content in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Content in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

From the top down, my collegues at Netflix are the among the most talented individuals in their class of trade. There is not a set vacation policy other than "take it when you need it". Maybe the best reason of all is the communication. Management goes to great lengths to make sure that everyone in the organization has a full understanding of the opportunities and challenges facing the business, as well as the strategic vision that the company is executing against.

Cons

In an effort to keep the best person in every position, turnover is somewhat high.

Advice to Management

Continue to find new ways to empower employees at all levels. The smallest vote of confidence from the top is will continue to be paid back in hard work and loyalty.