Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I love this place"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and mature colleagues, great pay, lots of independence, open and honest culture, beautiful campus, solid benefits, tasty food, inspiring vision

Cons

I have no cons that are specific to this company but it's got a typical low percent of women in tech which is a bummer

"Avoid this place.. its not worth it"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix (Less than a year)

Pros

They have snacks and the benefits are decent

Cons

Where to begin.. first of all they are not all inclusive,, they dont like older people such as myself to work there, also they are not diverse, i didnt see any hispanic or african american people there, only a few.. mostly its white bread millenials.. they claim they live by their values but whoever does the hiring is seriously racist.. beforewarned they find a reason to let you go in training and if they dont like you well then they use that "reason" to show you the door... do your research I wasn't the only one who they did this to.. its basically a churn and burn place not worth it

Advice to Management

so what is the deal here???????? there is no due process.. You guys just treat everyone like disposable feminine products... I thought I could trust my supervisor but after doing my research and discovering his social media accounts were all about drug use.. blah I am glad he fired me.. advice to management? you all need to be fired if for nothing else than creating a culture of fear and stress... why are we not allowed to talk about difficult customers? how does that help anything? and why are the trainers allowed to lie and say that "netflix customers are sooo wonderful when most of them probably cant even read past a third grade level and it shows when they call in for "help" but god forbid if anyone says anything ..cause then we are the bad guys and shown the door.. I personally cant wait for netflix to go bankrupt and another better company to take its place

"Netflix is racist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, benefits great, free lunch

Cons

They allow someone to be descriminated by supervisors. As he tells me how black i sound, and customers over the phone dont deserve my black attitude. I was actually fired because i had to flex my shift, which was allowed by this 3rd party company Netflix used for scheduling. 2 weeks prior, i flexed some hours and had to take an absense becuase i was unwell. My supervisor told me i couldnt do that. I said ok.....but really didnt get that. If your sick, ur sick. However another person o. Another team i know personally, did it all the time. Crazy, there white!

Advice to Management

Dont allow persons working for u to descriminate against black and other races. Have more control over your people.

"Surrounded by valedictorians"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Everyone is equivalent to a "valedictorian". Colleagues are smart, ambitious, curious, and like to collaborate. Everyone brings their A+ game it's great to work people who know what they're doing.

Cons

You have to find your niche and hunt for projects, if you are proactive this shouldn't be an issue for you.

"Even Netflix has its warts"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some amazing people who work at Netflix, the call center supervisors, Workforce Management and Operations Managers genuinely care about giving the best training to employees and pushing themselves to be better. When Netflix says you will work with stunning colleges, this is truly the case in SLC.
    The benefits are top notch and pay is top of market for CS if you are in UT or CA.
    Its also really great to have an amazing brand on your resume.

Cons

You will probably not ever have much development in the SLC CS site. If you take a job there I would plan on only being there short term as you will get burnt out.
    Senior Leadership is very political in the SLC site. They claim they try to stick as close to the corporate culture as possible but regretfully its not true. They say they push for transparent "feedback", but ultimately "feedback" is used as a weapon to get rid of people not jiving with select senior leaders.
    If you are looking for work stability, this is probably not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Truly stick to the Netflix values, not just when it is in your favor. You may be able to keep amazing employees in the interim but word does gets around and SLC is not an especially large market.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The money and perks are great.

Cons

Long Hours, but lots of money

Advice to Management

Request high pay they will give it to you.

"One of the best companies to work for, one of the worst company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great Base pay.
    - Some of the engineers are really smart and know what they are doing.
    - Free food and well stocked kitchen.
    - Good benefits including unlimited vacation.
    - Stock is doing great!
    -Hackday is always great and something to look for.

Cons

-Innovation is dying at this company. If you compare what the product was in 2011 vs. now, they are mostly playing with video playback in the UI and minor features. Probably the reason being, everyone wants to keep their job and want to have as many projects to continue.
    - Does lot of A/B testing, even for minor text changes. I'm glad they are not in hardware business else would have ruined the company. Felt product team is good, but not sure about what is right and don't have gut feeling on any thing.
    - Engineering teams competes with each other to build tools. Sometimes the work done for 9 months is thrown because other team built tool with cutting-edge technology.
     - Freedom and responsibility is there but it all depends upon on your leader & how much he allows to exercise it.
    - NIH within team syndrome.
    - Managers are sometimes pain and always want to build their 'own' team with 'own' people which discourages existing team.
    - IF you are looking for growth in the team, be careful of which team you are joining.
    - Favoritism is there and if the Mgr is really bad with employees, but good with his boss, he will get promoted. 360 only matters from peers and not from whom you manage.
    - Can't raise question on why we are doing this.If you are not aligned with manager's vision, sorry but you will get axed soon based on ground of technical imcompetency.
    - They try lots of recommendation A/B tests and merch logic but they are not sure if people will watch the title or not.

Ultimately they need to realize they are streaming company which has value in only 1 thing : Content. If you build great product but content is not effective, you are relying on product and not content to sell. If rivals catch up on product , its an issue.

Advice to Management

Hire the people who have long term vision and who questions the authority on why we are doing this and not encourage who aligns with you. Don't want to see another qwikster debacle.

"Netflix is the same as working for HBO/Time Warner but everyone trying to pretend you work for Google"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay a ridiculous amount of money.

Cons

Horrible culture, everyone is afraid they will get fired any second. People hire their own friends/groups or people with less skills/experience so they can defend themselves against weaker employees and throw them under the bus. Lord help you if you don't know anyone when you get hired to form a posse' with.

Advice to Management

Stop with all your nonsense pitch deck, it's dated, old and you aren't hired the best talent away from Google, FB, Amazon....the sooner you realize you are just a content company, and maybe pay reasonable salaries with reasonable fostering environment the better. Just ask yourself: how many employees would leave if you cut their salary. Probably every one.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it is."

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

If you are a young, single person very early in your career, you will get paid double what you would elsewhere and learn a lot from smart colleagues--just be sure to get out while it's your decision, and before you burn out, so you can take your knowledge and experience to a company with work/life balance.

Cons

Read the reviews on here. They are an accurate cross-section of experiences that show the reality of working at Netflix and how entirely it depends on your manager, or who gets fired or promoted and suddenly becomes your manager. You will have zero life outside of work, and even if you are someone who could never imagine being considered anything other than a top performer, let alone getting fired, recognize that you--yes, you--will very likely be let go abruptly within your first year--sometimes in a matter of weeks--with no opportunity to improve, at the sole discretion of your manager, who him/herself may or may not be competent or honest. Be sure that you can afford to live in whichever very expensive city you are relocating to with no income, and are willing to explain a firing in your next job search. Political backstabbing is the order of the day. The meeting culture is horrendous and symptomatic of an organization that is growing too rapidly and clutching desperately to a culture that doesn't scale. Ask anyone who has been at Netflix in a leadership or cross-functional position and they will tell you that they spend their entire day in meetings, and then spend all of their nights and weekends at home trying to actually get work done. And finally, if you do survive beyond the first year, don't expect pay progression. They will happily offer you more than whatever you are getting in your current position to bring you in, and then leave your pay stagnant for years if you were already "over market."

Advice to Management

Recruiting away top talent and churning through them with no regard for them as human beings may have been a viable strategy when Netflix was a smaller company, but understand that many of the industries you need to recruit from are small and nearly tapped. Consider the employee experience. Word gets around.

"TSR"

Former Employee - TSR in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - TSR in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing coworkers, family environment. Wonderful medical and benifits

Cons

High performance. Still a call center