Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 10, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"As call centers go, it's pretty awful"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros, everything that made me like the job was a blatant lie. Has health insurance so that's something.

Cons

The work is monotonous and draining. The chat team was dissolved, and then they shifted my hours to meet 'business needs' which took away the last bit of faith I had that they care about the employee. Supposedly you can choose from set shifts, but the time you pick is randomly assigned, meaning if you're randomly assigned to pick last, then there are no good options left. Could also mean that you work there for 2.5 years like my coworker and never get to have a weekend day off.
    In training they told us over and over again that top performers were promoted within 3 to 6 months but there have literally been no opportunities. They said numbers didn't matter, they promised unlimited time off, and a whole host of other perks. That has all been blatantly false, the entire job is a numbers game, you sit glued to your desk waiting for a coaching or meeting to break up the nightmare of the day but those keep getting pushed off to the future, which never happens. Unlimited time off was taken away, and you could be fired for a whole host of silly reasons, I myself have seen multiple coworkers walked off the floor for minor infractions, and the new policy of only 3 tardies (which could be 1 minute late) per YEAR is punitive. Even the free drinks are slowly being taken away, we have stupid lemon water options now or espresso, which I can't drink. This job has given me anxiety, I am actively looking for a different job and will quit the moment I'm able.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your employees, hire enough people so that you're not glued to the phone with back to back calls all day, promote an option of breaking up the work day instead of sitting stuck in the cubicle. You can't even take personal time for crying out loud, you get in trouble for needing to take a 2 minute bathroom break outside your schedued break time. Ive never had a job that so horrendously micromanages time to be sure you're getting every last second of work from the employee. Actually be truthful about advancement opportunities. I was told CRS2 would be avaliable August of 2016, that got pushed to January of 2017, then March of 2017, and now maybe 6 months into the future. That's ridiculous, and it has created a dead end job culture that there feels like no escaping from.

2. "The lack of diversity and lack of initiatives to change this is depressing"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, fun projects, shuttles to many places in the Bay Area. If you're full-time the culture makes it easy to make your little slice of work your own.

Cons

They treat contractors like crap. Well at least this is the case in the department I was in. You are hamstrung by being a contractor and not having access to all information, not even knowing that you need access to this information or not even realizing you are missing information until it's too late. That might not be a problem for all contract positions, but as a project manager, it's essential that we are least made of aware of any news that might possibly affect the components we are in charge of.

The diversity is tragic. It's not as bad as many other Bay Area tech companies, but there is a lot of instances where one sibling gets another one in, one spouse will get another one in, friends from previous employment hire each other to recreate whatever made them leave the original company, etc.

I worked in a department with mainly an international team and when I started there were several comments made by my coworkers about how, because of my nationality, I therefore couldn't possibly understand certain issues like internationalization. I found several of the people to be very condescending if you didn't come from X school or worked at Y company.

The lack of feedback from your manager is non-existent. Again this might just be a contractor thing but for me I found that the majority of my coworkers were happy with my work, my stakeholders were happy with my work, I'd received kudos from my manager, etc. Then when a full-time position came available I applied and was essentially told by my manager that I wasn't good enough. I won't argue that decision because it's subjective but isn't it the Netflix policy that if a manager isn't happy with their employee it's best to just let them go and then find the best fit? After all, if I'm not good enough to be at Netflix then why are still keeping me around? I can only speculate as to the reasons so it's not even worth me writing them here.

Also in general, I know very few contractors since the time I've been here who have been converted to full-time. Some have been here as long as 2 years or longer.

Advice to Management

Don't say you are committed to diversity if you really aren't paying attention to the hiring practices of the B and C level managers who are all too often just hiring their buddies.

Netflix is scaling rapidly with new people and new products. My suggestion would be to find a way to facilitate interdepartmental learnings, this way you don't run the risk of people duplicating efforts.

"The culture drives this company"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

The culture! Lots of transparency, lots of realtime feedback, and lots of swag.

Cons

The culture...it can even work against you. The entitlement of the employees can get tiresome.

"Netflix hires the cream of the crop... But be prepared to work hard!"

Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

High Salary
    Great co-workers
    Beautiful South Bay location
    Relatively "small" company
    Free hot lunch, stocked kitchen
    Lots of SWAG
    Great PTO policy

Cons

Lack of internal growth opportunities
    Stock "options" not "shares"
    High turnover - can be cut throat
    Lack of diversity
    No recognized holidays.
    Double standards for executive staff.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate prioritites and distribute the wealth more evenly.

"senior software engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

good to work and smart people around

Cons

more team work and culture should be improved

Advice to Management

put more focus on teams

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Great development culture, tons of opportunity, big problems, lots of independence - the motto "freedom and responsibility" is not just a platitude.

Cons

Make sure you agree with the Netflix Culture Deck - if you don't you won't be successful.

"Rockstar coworkers, freedom and responsibility"

Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rockstar coworkers, no brilliant jerks
    excellent pay, no vacation policy or tracking
    fast paced environment, minimal distractions and no unnecessary process - get loads of work done everyday.
    I can tell my friends I work in showbiz :)

Cons

None that I can think of, really. I guess the culture might take a bit adjusting to if you are not used to it.

"False Advertising"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and snacks.
    Benefits.
    High percentage of PTO accrual, which is being cut in half soon.
    One flexible day off that is impossible to take if you have the beginning of the week off.

Cons

Is definitely numbers driven, even though they tell you it isn't.
    Manipulative management.
    Will use your peers against you.
    Told to ask questions if you don't understand something, but don't answer your questions and rarely give good context.
    Coachings that are supposed to happen every week get pushed off for a few weeks to a month.
    No one is on the same page.
    Your job is on the line after the one day you are sick.
    There is definitely an attendance policy, regardless of what you hear.

Advice to Management

Be up-front with your staff. Follow through on commitments. Be available. Follow your own behaviour standards.

"good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High-performing culture
    Unlimited vacation
    Pick your time to work
    Great pay

Cons

High performing culture
    If you get a manager that micro-manages it becomes annoying
    Too date driven while sacrificing quality - for a QA professional that's hard to take

"Culture of High Performance"

Current Employee - Training and Development Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Training and Development Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

What makes this location great is that the culture of high performance really helps you to grow, excel, learn and develop at a high level. While it can feel demanding at times, this actually has helped me to grow, offering many opportunities for growth that apply to any type of job I may want in the future.

Cons

As stated above, the job is high performance. Which means that the jobs here may not be the right fit for everyone. But for the right person, it's a great place.