Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated June 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Cons

"Fast paced, high performing, high turnover, engineering-first"

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Netflix, it's a bold company to work for and you are surrounded by people who are passionate about what they do. I always say the health of the company starts at the top and Reed Hastings is someone I highly respect as he can see through people's BS and keeps those around him honest. He's the kind of person that will give you personal and professional advice even at an all hands with hundreds of people in attendance. The work will feel like you're being 'thrown to the fire' due to the culture of high performance and no subscribed process, but if you know what you're doing and stay dedicated to your team's goals in a productive manner, you should be fine.

Cons

While there are incredibly bright and talented designers at Netflix, I learned through my time there that this company was an engineering-first company. I mean, look at how long it took them to change the logo and get some design standards going. Design often times felt like a luxury than a necessity and there was a bit too much dependency on A/B testing to make decisions. I swear, I heard "have we A/B tested this yet?" in my dreams. A few times, I would point out that the results of the A/B test resulted in bad design solutions. It just seemed like upper management didn't understand design. As long as people are watching content and streaming patterns are on the up, then don't rock the boat. Also, watch out for those who play politics, sometimes the drama that plays out on projects or team dynamics is just unreal and some people just want to be the hero and get Reed Hasting's blessing. Unfortunately, there are some "brilliant jerks" in the company, learn to work around them and get stuff done right! Lastly, if you want a more life/work balance, this is probably not the place for you. I had some coworkers who didn't see their kids for days.

Advice to Management

Everyone looks so serious at work, address this lack of fun or effect on morale. Also, make design matter more to the business.

"Just blown away, I am Michael Jordan and you chose Sam Bowie. Never will have another like me. Run !"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and my peers. I loved my direct reports and they performed at a very high level. Low good attrition because they loved coming in every day. CSR'S are the most important part of any call center, I still get messages from past employees that are miserable there. Working hard for them, priceless and so rewarding. Still get messages from my first leadership job, wireless co. that rhythms with horizon wanting me back.. see the trend!

Cons

Approved FMLA was frowned upon, illegal but NetflixCS NOT NETFLIX (totaly separate companies) didn't care. They chose Utah because it's a right to hire/right to fire state. Worst location and facility, cheap equipmment and desks. Lesser companys that thought location may be important are all along UTA trax or frontrunner railways. Om never observed a coaching in final 7 months and was let go not for performance but for adjusting, not changing coaching logs. Coaching was wrote same but what Csr had to do was same and crystal clear. Wife has degree in English Communication and proof read my work. A+ ☆☆☆ writing. 0

Advice to Management

I opened the center, top 2 in 0overall stats 2015 & 2016 and my team loved me. Was not a yes man, was and always will be honest man. Was overpaid, told them first thing. Was told I changed coaching without rep in coaching with me, not actually changed just rewrote same thing but l with help of English grammar pro. I was never Netflix leadership trained and this0 was in leadership training to change coaching without csr present. How would i know without training? 0BPO'S have better structure and the first Supervisor hired begged me to not tell you be lied on resume, no leadership experience. Michigan fan, liar and still there along with many yes man. I was Verizon Trained in leadership, A++ and award winning training on all aspects of management. Still have emails of praise from Senior ops from Netflix Om's and led a 22 person team 3 months and it was 2nd overall in stats. It was because I cast the large shadow of a leader who could move mountains with my coaching, feedback and motivation. I came to you before FMLA, you approved my leave but let me go. Unheard of in any business. Ask my time off was approved and I was protected federally in my time off. It is the job of the company to get support to team while I was out. I still never had that leadership training to teach me not to Change coaching log (said same thing in log of what csr needed to do) without the csr present. CSR didn't even notice change, it was grammar and verbiage update of the same coaching recommendation. Remember giving me lower bowl Jazz tickets 2x for performance? Performance still high when using Federal Medical Leave Act insurance and still let go. Reading all the reviews left here are a clear direction of poor structure, internal training and bottom to top processes that produce consistency and values. Changing values, policy's monthly create chaos. Convergys has higher employee satisfaction and where I work now is best in state company to work for 2 years in row - Thumbtack! I make less but who cares, integrity means something. Try it sometime.. and still think you committed federal crime by letting someone go with approved FMLA.

"Senior Software Engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- compensation
    - from a product perspective: a unique blend of technology & entertainment
    - exciting industry and great business opportunities
    - you will be getting to know how to deal with AWS at scale

Cons

Culture:
    - high turnover
    - many people are staying only for the top of the market paycheck
    - employees adjust lifestyle to high compensation. As a result constant fear of being let go
    - colleagues will throw you under the bus to keep their jobs
    - very political due to lack of company policies/processes
    - any mistakes you make will be used against you (see point #3)
    - 0 empathy, mentorship or compassion
    - no clear career path
    - your experience will largely depend on your manager
    - if you want "psychological safety" go to Google or Facebook instead

Technology:
    - overall very poor code quality
    - most bigger architecture solutions are suboptimal due to "freedom and responsibility" and lack of overall technical vision
    - related to architecture: most technical decisions are completely localized, again due to "freedom and responsibility". As a result, high level of technical debt and meaningless duplication (NIH syndrome at scale)
    - dated technology stack (the most popular tech stack is tomcat/war)

4. "Customer Service Rep"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Other than the benefits, the environment you work in is very relaxed, while still maintaining professional boundaries. Management is easy to work with, feedback is more constructive than criticizing

Cons

Lack of upward growth/opportunity, you'll definitely get the unreasonable customers

5. "Contract."

I worked at Netflix (Less than a year)

Pros

Netflix is a great company to work for.

Cons

Cons would be that it unfortunately was a contract position!

6. "Cool culture, but they still have some kinks to work out"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, subsidized lunches, free fruit and coffee, lots of PTO, free Netflix acct, community involvement, company culture, internal growth

Cons

Only 3 tardies/early leave per year before separation, no tuition reimbursement, very strict about what can be at your desk, no holidays off, headsets provided are awful

Advice to Management

Keep moving the site in the right direction, and start interviewing for CSR2's soon!

7. "Great company culture"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Very strong culture, smart colleagues, great product.

Cons

Rapidly growing - can be difficult to keep up

8. "Great company"

Former Employee - Data Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Data Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great company, nice technology stack

Cons

Can not think of any cons

Advice to Management

Keep at it.

9. "SV"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Amazing people, great place to work, salary was really great. Netflix was the best company I had ever worked.

Cons

CS business was downsizing and the company had cost cuttings.

Advice to Management

Work force group needed to be more flexible and research to make plans for hiring.

"senior software engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

good to work and smart people around

Cons

more team work and culture should be improved

Advice to Management

put more focus on teams