Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated November 16, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • stands by culture deck, 'freedom and responsibility' is not a buzz phrase but reality, treated like an adult, no micromanagement (in 49 reviews)

• Creative environment, good pay, room for promotion (in 32 reviews)

1. "subtitling test"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

good pay for all freelancer

Cons

Hard test for all freelancer

Advice to Management

make your test for subtitling more easier than available one

"Senior Software Engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- compensation
    - from a product perspective: a unique blend of technology & entertainment
    - exciting industry and great business opportunities
    - you will be getting to know how to deal with AWS at scale

Cons

Culture:
    - high turnover
    - many people are staying only for the top of the market paycheck
    - employees adjust lifestyle to high compensation. As a result constant fear of being let go
    - colleagues will throw you under the bus to keep their jobs
    - very political due to lack of company policies/processes
    - any mistakes you make will be used against you (see point #3)
    - 0 empathy, mentorship or compassion
    - no clear career path
    - your experience will largely depend on your manager
    - if you want "psychological safety" go to Google or Facebook instead

Technology:
    - overall very poor code quality
    - most bigger architecture solutions are suboptimal due to "freedom and responsibility" and lack of overall technical vision
    - related to architecture: most technical decisions are completely localized, again due to "freedom and responsibility". As a result, high level of technical debt and meaningless duplication (NIH syndrome at scale)
    - dated technology stack (the most popular tech stack is tomcat/war)

"The best job I've had, and at times, the worst job I've had"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Netflix has some great pros. You'll be working with mostly extremely competent people. Dealing with teams within the company is extremely easy, as most people are very helpful and efficient. They pay you a lot of money, and give you perks like free food, paid cell phone bill, 401k, etc. This is all great, but for me, the biggest draw is always people, and your team will make or break your experience here, so make sure you know what you are getting into at the interview, and don't accept jobs with teams that you don't feel excited about being part of.

Cons

The high salary leads some people to ramp up their lifestyles, they then become dependent on being here. This in turn creates a culture of fear where people are constantly stressing out that they are "not doing enough" and might be fired any minute. This also extends to the directors of teams, and when your management is stressed, it will always trickle down to create a lousy experience for you.
    This makes for an extremely toxic environment at times where teams are often working on similar projects, thus competing against each other to stay relevant, which is just utter idiocy. The high pay ensures that there is way more politicking than would be needed or appropriate in such situations. This in turn can have a very demoralizing effect on the peons doing the actual work, who often feel compelled to work on nights, weekends and public holidays for goals that are often vague, and projects that are often shelved. The most insidious effect of this is observed when people contemplate taking PTO, when many employees have told me that they weren't able to relax or take as much time off as they needed, as they were constantly wondering what would happen to their jobs, and whether or not they were doing enough to "deserve" time off. If you've never felt this, it's a rotten state of mind, and you will feel it quite a bit here.
    Many times, I've felt the need to quit the field altogether, but the money and my team makes me stay for now, so I'll likely stay till my team changes.

Moral of the story here is: You'll get paid a lot. You'll also likely be laid off sooner than you expect. You'll also likely make a LOT less at your next place. Adjust for your standard of living appropriately so you can keep your head above the circus fray, and don't get used to the good things.

Advice to Management

More communication with your teams is absolutely essential if you want to retain good people, but you don't need a Glassdoor review to tell you that. Empower your HR teams to instill the idea that taking time off is a healthy part of working here, and no one should feel nervous about taking time off. You will need to say this many times before it becomes part of the culture.

Ensure that teams are not competing against each other, specifically in the Engineering department. We are not here to throw each other off our respective ladders, but to learn, and to help the company grow as a result of what we learn here. Cross-collaboration between teams should be of the utmost priority, not working at cross-purposes as is the case with many teams now.

For the most part, this is a good place to be. Make it better, and make more of an effort at every level to keep the organization flat. We already have job insecurity, we do not need hierarchy to make it worse.

"As call centers go, it's pretty awful"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros, everything that made me like the job was a blatant lie. Has health insurance so that's something.

Cons

The work is monotonous and draining. The chat team was dissolved, and then they shifted my hours to meet 'business needs' which took away the last bit of faith I had that they care about the employee. Supposedly you can choose from set shifts, but the time you pick is randomly assigned, meaning if you're randomly assigned to pick last, then there are no good options left. Could also mean that you work there for 2.5 years like my coworker and never get to have a weekend day off.
    In training they told us over and over again that top performers were promoted within 3 to 6 months but there have literally been no opportunities. They said numbers didn't matter, they promised unlimited time off, and a whole host of other perks. That has all been blatantly false, the entire job is a numbers game, you sit glued to your desk waiting for a coaching or meeting to break up the nightmare of the day but those keep getting pushed off to the future, which never happens. Unlimited time off was taken away, and you could be fired for a whole host of silly reasons, I myself have seen multiple coworkers walked off the floor for minor infractions, and the new policy of only 3 tardies (which could be 1 minute late) per YEAR is punitive. Even the free drinks are slowly being taken away, we have stupid lemon water options now or espresso, which I can't drink. This job has given me anxiety, I am actively looking for a different job and will quit the moment I'm able.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your employees, hire enough people so that you're not glued to the phone with back to back calls all day, promote an option of breaking up the work day instead of sitting stuck in the cubicle. You can't even take personal time for crying out loud, you get in trouble for needing to take a 2 minute bathroom break outside your schedued break time. Ive never had a job that so horrendously micromanages time to be sure you're getting every last second of work from the employee. Actually be truthful about advancement opportunities. I was told CRS2 would be avaliable August of 2016, that got pushed to January of 2017, then March of 2017, and now maybe 6 months into the future. That's ridiculous, and it has created a dead end job culture that there feels like no escaping from.

5. "Great company culture"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Very strong culture, smart colleagues, great product.

Cons

Rapidly growing - can be difficult to keep up

6. "Customer Service Rep"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Other than the benefits, the environment you work in is very relaxed, while still maintaining professional boundaries. Management is easy to work with, feedback is more constructive than criticizing

Cons

Lack of upward growth/opportunity, you'll definitely get the unreasonable customers

"Cool culture, but they still have some kinks to work out"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, subsidized lunches, free fruit and coffee, lots of PTO, free Netflix acct, community involvement, company culture, internal growth

Cons

Only 3 tardies/early leave per year before separation, no tuition reimbursement, very strict about what can be at your desk, no holidays off, headsets provided are awful

Advice to Management

Keep moving the site in the right direction, and start interviewing for CSR2's soon!

8. "The lack of diversity and lack of initiatives to change this is depressing"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, fun projects, shuttles to many places in the Bay Area. If you're full-time the culture makes it easy to make your little slice of work your own.

Cons

They treat contractors like crap. Well at least this is the case in the department I was in. You are hamstrung by being a contractor and not having access to all information, not even knowing that you need access to this information or not even realizing you are missing information until it's too late. That might not be a problem for all contract positions, but as a project manager, it's essential that we are least made of aware of any news that might possibly affect the components we are in charge of.

The diversity is tragic. It's not as bad as many other Bay Area tech companies, but there is a lot of instances where one sibling gets another one in, one spouse will get another one in, friends from previous employment hire each other to recreate whatever made them leave the original company, etc.

I worked in a department with mainly an international team and when I started there were several comments made by my coworkers about how, because of my nationality, I therefore couldn't possibly understand certain issues like internationalization. I found several of the people to be very condescending if you didn't come from X school or worked at Y company.

The lack of feedback from your manager is non-existent. Again this might just be a contractor thing but for me I found that the majority of my coworkers were happy with my work, my stakeholders were happy with my work, I'd received kudos from my manager, etc. Then when a full-time position came available I applied and was essentially told by my manager that I wasn't good enough. I won't argue that decision because it's subjective but isn't it the Netflix policy that if a manager isn't happy with their employee it's best to just let them go and then find the best fit? After all, if I'm not good enough to be at Netflix then why are still keeping me around? I can only speculate as to the reasons so it's not even worth me writing them here.

Also in general, I know very few contractors since the time I've been here who have been converted to full-time. Some have been here as long as 2 years or longer.

Advice to Management

Don't say you are committed to diversity if you really aren't paying attention to the hiring practices of the B and C level managers who are all too often just hiring their buddies.

Netflix is scaling rapidly with new people and new products. My suggestion would be to find a way to facilitate interdepartmental learnings, this way you don't run the risk of people duplicating efforts.

"senior software engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

good to work and smart people around

Cons

more team work and culture should be improved

Advice to Management

put more focus on teams

"Netflix hires the cream of the crop... But be prepared to work hard!"

Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

High Salary
    Great co-workers
    Beautiful South Bay location
    Relatively "small" company
    Free hot lunch, stocked kitchen
    Lots of SWAG
    Great PTO policy

Cons

Lack of internal growth opportunities
    Stock "options" not "shares"
    High turnover - can be cut throat
    Lack of diversity
    No recognized holidays.
    Double standards for executive staff.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate prioritites and distribute the wealth more evenly.