Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Amazing Place!"

Former Employee - TSR in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - TSR in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, lots of PTO, insurance was affordable, on-site cafeteria, awesome coworkers, great managers

Cons

Being a team of about 50 people supporting the entire globe of customer service sites, the schedules weren't always the greatest. Weird days off, swing/graves shifts, shift bids. But it rotates every few months to make things fair. Also it was hard to get weekend days off.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to make the scheduling more pleasing, but other than that, nothing to complain about.

"Csr"

Former Employee - Mentor/Trainer in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Mentor/Trainer in Southfield, MI

I worked at Netflix (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun and cool environment to work in. I miss this Job somewhat. Nothing too bad to say, I'll work here again in the future if it presents itself.

Cons

Metrics, because keeping up with numbers suck. Sometimes things can seem a little unfair or somewhat favoritism.

"Fast pace and fair"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of rumors about how Netflix treats its employees. The culture deck you see on the job site is real. The management team expects you to be a stellar performer, but you CAN make mistakes in the name of learning. However, if you don't learn quickly from the mistake you made, you are in trouble.

You have a lot of freedom and responsibilities to help company move forward. Things also change so quickly that what you think is true last quarter may not be a month from now. Stay ahead of the curve and be prepared to defend your opinion with data and facts.

Cons

There are some politics in the marketing department. The CMO comes from a big movie studio, so he believes in flashy commercials and campaigns. There is a constant need to prove your team's worthiness which can be mind numbing.

Advice to Management

Talent pool is scarce in the valley. Treat them well by what the company preaches. Don't turn into Amazon!

4. "Not too challenging, just be genuine!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Looks like awesome culture and everyone is laid back. Pay and benefits are also great! No dress code. Focus on paying well, and keeping employees happy.

Cons

Could be asked to work an odd schedule. Other than that I would have appreciated a call back or email a little sooner, they kept me kinda nervous. But I eventually got a job offer!

Advice to Management

None so far!

"Great place to work, could use some more diversity"

Pros

Great people who are smart and capable. I appreciate that they hire people who are experienced and proven, unlike other places I have worked that hire right out of college and you get a mixed bag that way. Love the free, healthy, food. Flexible vacation works well in my org and I was happy not to have to scale down my vacation time after having built up a lot at my last job. Just make sure you have your work covered and check in periodically for emergencies, other than that no one gives you a hard time. Not every team is as flexible with this as mine is, from what I gather from talking to other people in other orgs. I haven't seen a lot of turnover on my team so far but it is still somewhat early days.

Cons

Not a very diverse environment, which is not a surprise if you read their demographic data. In particular, there are very few women in technical leadership roles. Yes, this is a problem in this industry in general but I have worked for companies that do a much better job.

Advice to Management

If you want to encourage technical women to come work here, there must be visible technical female role models in place when they get here, otherwise they will assume (as I have, to be honest) that there is a glass ceiling. It helps to spend energy recruiting existing female tech leaders but also fostering women who already work here who have leadership potential. The second part I don't see happening - the women's groups here seem more focused on hiring new women and not as much on helping technical women grow their careers and leadership skills here. This is really a statement on the technical side, because there are lots of women (including visible leaders) in more "traditional" female roles (marketing, recruiting, business operations, etc.).

"4 Stars"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented Co-workers
    Unlimited Vacation
    Lots of opportunities to learn
    Top of market salaries

Cons

Poor Work-life balance
    No company employee development

Advice to Management

Invest in employees beyond top of market salaries

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work if you're genuinely interested in the success of your coworkers and are able to clearly see the connection between that and the success of the business.

Freedom and responsibility is definitely practiced here. No one will hand you a project, deadlines, and a specific way to go about doing your work. They trust that they've hired the best people to do the job and they leave it up to the individual to identify problems and figure out how to solve them. This sort of environment is not for everyone, because you have to build strong enough relationships with your coworkers so they'd go to bat for you on your projects. Team-building isn't a company-mandated activity here. It's an everyday practice and an integral part of the job.

Feedback is candid and immediate, so get ready. There's no sugarcoating here. To be successful here, you have to be open to criticism, no matter how direct. This, again, might not work for everyone, but it makes your next course of action very clear, as opposed to sugarcoated feedback that leaves you confused as to what you should do.

Cons

Netflix gets a bad rap, because it's not for everyone. The fact is, that's not necessarily a bad thing, and there's no shame in trying something out and seeing if it works out for you. What appears difficult about Netflix is exactly what makes it a great place to work. You have to be able to manage yourself, no one will manage your time for you.

While the company is not as diverse as it could be, the commitment to diversity is something I've witnessed first-hand from leadership and employees alike. The tone is set that diversifying the company is a part of everyone's job at Netflix, not just the recruiting team.

If you need someone to manage your time for you, need your tasks to be very clear and outlined by a manager, or you can't handle feedback, then Netflix isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Continue fostering employee relationships, and emphasize the importance of making those connections as early as possible in an employee's journey.

"Keep Portland Weird"

Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great friendly fun culture. Everyone had a free to be "me" vibe with the clearance for tattoos, piercings, and artsy trendy motif. For the most part everyone that worked there was friendly and had a great attitude. Super rad break rooms stocked with free gourmet teas and coffees, apples, bananas, and popcorn. They also had flat screens with Netflix streaming in the breakrooms as well. Free Netflix max package with 8 DVD's at a time and Streaming. Doubletime for holiday work.

Cons

Call center KPI's. Lay offs. Heavy use of temporary workers.

9. "Netflix best ever"

Pros

Environment is great love it

Cons

Needs more diversity in office

Advice to Management

Keep it up !

10. "More Please"

Former Employee - DVD Processor in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - DVD Processor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Great company that stays on the edge of media technology

Cons

You could get laid off without notice