Netflix Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

Netflix US Reviews

United States

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

""Freedom & Responsibility" for real"

Current Employee - Web QA Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Web QA Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

We all have an incredible opportunity to change the way people discover entertainment. As our business has grown more complex, we've chosen to retain and hire only the best of the best. This has allowed us to deal with complexity through intelligence instead of through process and layers of management. We stay nimble and trust talented individuals to understand the context of the business. We make good decisions based on that context. We minimize chaos and maximize productivity. It's remarkably energizing to work with 'scary smart' people. It allows us to all reach a little farther because we know that if we stumble there will be people right there with us to keep us from falling. Screwing up doesn't get you fired, as long as you clean it up, learn from it and do it better the next time. Everybody has the freedom to do their jobs how they think it is best done. With that freedom comes responsibility for delivering on those ideas.

Cons

It's a lot of work. A lot of difficult, painstaking work. There's enormous pressure to always be getting more done, and doing it faster and better. Fortunately, there's also a lot of really reasonable people that will understand if something doesn't get done because of shifting priorities or unforeseen circumstances. The pressure is there, but it's self-imposed and everyone shares it.

Advice to Management

Push more information down, and push it down harder, because there's only so much that can be pulled from the bottom. It's impractical to still have Metrics out by the fountain, but seek and find an equivalent channel that captures that same immediacy and intimacy. Trading windows be damned, get the data into the hands of the people that need it to make decisions and plan their work.

"Question everything and deliver world-class service."

Current Employee - Movie Lover in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Movie Lover in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

The call center in Hillsboro is truly focused on making our customers' experience a great one each and every time.

Cons

24-7 work environment isn't for everyone

Advice to Management

Continue to set the performance bar high. It's what makes us different from other call centers.

"Netflix is Great! ...Just Stay Out of the Call Center."

Former Employee - Support Staff in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

The upper management of Netflix really does seem to want to take a different approach with how they handle their employees, and accepts the fact that as an adult, you're able to get your job done. They appear to be very with it. The call center attempts to echo that sentiment, and provides many perks that make work an alright place to be. From the free coffee and refreshments in the cafeteria to the free rental plan, great benefits, and competitive pay, there is a great ideal that the company attempts to live up to - that the people populating the center are worth the extra buck or two. It was refreshing to work for a company that was capable of identifying problems, and instead of sweeping them under the rug, took the initiative to change the problem.

Cons

Specific to the Hillsboro location, the middle-management is hit-or-miss with whether or not they treat you like a valued member of the team. Many of the team managers do not communicate clearly with their teams - as a member of the support staff, it was evident which managers were taking the time to coach, train, and encourage their teammates, and which were not. Many reps who were extremely good at their job were let go for seemingly innocuous reasons, veiling the manager's personal dislike for the individual. The Hillsboro center has been open since September of 2006, and very few (if any) original cast members from the first three training classes exist. The management of the call center was not in any way stable; the entire team had been replaced once over, and in the less-than two years, they've gone through two site directors. With all of the management, quality, and training staff adjustments, many representatives felt as though getting promoted was a death knell to your time at Netflix. NOT that there were copious opportunities for advancement - quite the contrary. Team managers were hired from outside of the company, and rarely were promotions from within occurring. There were a handful of people who did move up the ladder, and, as previously mentioned, found themselves restructured out of the company, told that there was no longer work for them to do and laid off, or outright fired because they "don't fit the way the department is going."

Advice to Management

To the senior-most management in Los Gatos, I would ask that you send some sort of internal affairs mole into the call center. Hire someone to see what it's like from the floor's perspective, as naturally the team managers are putting on their best face for you. See what their day-to-day face looks like, and see how it compares. Because you very well might see that some of the individuals in places of authority don't seem to know, in the colloquial, their arse from a hole in the ground.

"I wish I would've joined years ago."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Think of the people you've worked with in your career. Now imagine the 5 best of those on one team. That's what working on a team at Netflix is like. Frankly, there are no stupid people here. None. Everyone I've met is damn sharp, very sharing of their knowledge and time, and enjoys what they do.

You are treated like an adult. You are not told what to do. Netflix is laissez faire, not command and control. With that comes responsibility and the potential for failure. If you fail often enough, you will not survive. If you don't expose yourself to this risk enough, you won't survive. Some people might consider this a downside, you won't like it at Netflix if you do.

The Netflix time off/vacation policy is that there is no policy. They don't track how many hours you take. You take time off when you want to, you don't have to ask for permission or approval. This non-policy is one example of many of how thoroughly Netflix expects you to behave like an adult. I've spent many years at big name valley companies. Without exception, everyone of them claims that they treat employees like adults. All of them pale in comparison to Netflix in this regard.

Cons

I'm a developer, and the code base at Netflix has warts that demonstrate its laissez faire culture. There is no architecture group with veto power, so the code evolves organically - I personally think this is great, but it can be frustrating. Luckily, it never stays "ugly" for long, but it frequently feels like a ball of mud.

There seems to be quite a bit of turnover. The first month I worked here, I counted at least 5 "good bye" emails. At least 4 of them were not voluntary. This can be disconcerting. But this is also not a company like Cisco, with regular annual headcount reduction quotas.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I've never been more confident that the sr. mgmt in a company was as intelligent and ethical as you are.

"All in all, a great place to work"

Current Employee - Call Center Support Staff in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Call Center Support Staff in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Benefits are terrific and I have my perfect shift. Free movies are always wonderful. This is the perfect job for me because it really is low stress and it is a perfect avenue for my love of film, film history and general film knowledge.

Cons

Lack of communication and inconsistency of management team. Career opportunities are improving but not quickly enough. Performance reviews have been a long time coming and still are not in place with compensation increases.

Advice to Management

Tighten things up, get consistent, replace some of the team managers with competent leadership styles. Things are getting a little sloppy again and the manager/staff relationships are at times, inappropriate.

6. "If you get the chance, work there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

The company gives employees a lot of autonomy to get your work done. It values customer input, numbers and data and rewards creativity. It has a solid management team that has been at the company for many years and guided it through very turbulent times particularly the Blockbuster threat. The company attracts smart and creative talent in its departments, making it a good place to continue learning.

Cons

This is a jewel of a company with little downsides. Perhaps, the kitchen could be better stocked with health foods but then everyone is not Google.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

The best thing about Netflix is the ability for every single person to have a significant impact on the business. Each employee is given a huge piece of the business to own and we are allowed to make the right call with judgement. There is a ton of flexibility and the lack of policies and procedures makes each person use their brain when making decision. Netflix hires adults and treats them that way. A very unique and challenging work place that acknowledges hard work and expects high performance.

Cons

Expectations for employees are extremely high and everyone is extremely visable (also a good thing too).

Advice to Management

They are doing a great job, I don't have any feedback.

8. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Freedom and Responsibility is real here.

Cons

Everyone is really smart, you have to keep up.

Advice to Management

Stay focused!

"Netflix deserves its status as a top tier company."

Former Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Professionally rewarding, positively competitive, fairly flat management hierarchy, great benefits, intellectually stimulating, clearly stated goals and procedures. Taking part in a world class, trend-setting company with extremely high customer satisfaction and industry/peer respect. All employees are treated as adults, with the attendant expectations and responsibilities.

Cons

Conflict is somewhat encouraged, sometimes to the detriment of internal morale. Learning curve is steep, and you must constantly perform at full steam. Your first 6 months will be sink or swim. Commuting from outside south bay is hectic, and uncompensated. Team shuffling can be a bit spastic. A bit of internal politicking does occur.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on how internal conflict effects more than just the outcome of a project.

10. "I love it."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Great colleagues -- incredible really

Cons

Domestic not global business -- wish we did europe and asia too

Advice to Management

Focus on the customer, not on Apple