Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 48 reviews)

• Finance lives in a culture of fear (in 21 reviews)

"A straighforward company who knows who they are and are not."

Current Employee - Chief Talent Officer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Talent Officer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

We are committed, professionals who are passionate about creating a business that changes the entertainment landscape. Employees make a difference, results matter. The business model is relatively simple, but execution is very complex. There are interesting problems to solve for everyone. We aren't afraid to try something new or to stop doing something that doesn't work.

Cons

Management isn't sensitive. The team, noy family metaphore is true. Perks are minimal, but salaries are good. Career pathing is owned by employees, not management.. It's an opt in company, and not for everyone. If you are more comfortable with structure or guidance, this might not be your kind of place.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the edge, don't get complacent. Stay open to new ideas. Make it a great company everyone will be proud to have worked at, even for a while.

""Freedom & Responsibility" for real"

Current Employee - Web QA Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Web QA Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

We all have an incredible opportunity to change the way people discover entertainment. As our business has grown more complex, we've chosen to retain and hire only the best of the best. This has allowed us to deal with complexity through intelligence instead of through process and layers of management. We stay nimble and trust talented individuals to understand the context of the business. We make good decisions based on that context. We minimize chaos and maximize productivity. It's remarkably energizing to work with 'scary smart' people. It allows us to all reach a little farther because we know that if we stumble there will be people right there with us to keep us from falling. Screwing up doesn't get you fired, as long as you clean it up, learn from it and do it better the next time. Everybody has the freedom to do their jobs how they think it is best done. With that freedom comes responsibility for delivering on those ideas.

Cons

It's a lot of work. A lot of difficult, painstaking work. There's enormous pressure to always be getting more done, and doing it faster and better. Fortunately, there's also a lot of really reasonable people that will understand if something doesn't get done because of shifting priorities or unforeseen circumstances. The pressure is there, but it's self-imposed and everyone shares it.

Advice to Management

Push more information down, and push it down harder, because there's only so much that can be pulled from the bottom. It's impractical to still have Metrics out by the fountain, but seek and find an equivalent channel that captures that same immediacy and intimacy. Trading windows be damned, get the data into the hands of the people that need it to make decisions and plan their work.

"Question everything and deliver world-class service."

Current Employee - Movie Lover in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Movie Lover in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

The call center in Hillsboro is truly focused on making our customers' experience a great one each and every time.

Cons

24-7 work environment isn't for everyone

Advice to Management

Continue to set the performance bar high. It's what makes us different from other call centers.

"Netflix is Great! ...Just Stay Out of the Call Center."

Former Employee - Support Staff in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

The upper management of Netflix really does seem to want to take a different approach with how they handle their employees, and accepts the fact that as an adult, you're able to get your job done. They appear to be very with it. The call center attempts to echo that sentiment, and provides many perks that make work an alright place to be. From the free coffee and refreshments in the cafeteria to the free rental plan, great benefits, and competitive pay, there is a great ideal that the company attempts to live up to - that the people populating the center are worth the extra buck or two. It was refreshing to work for a company that was capable of identifying problems, and instead of sweeping them under the rug, took the initiative to change the problem.

Cons

Specific to the Hillsboro location, the middle-management is hit-or-miss with whether or not they treat you like a valued member of the team. Many of the team managers do not communicate clearly with their teams - as a member of the support staff, it was evident which managers were taking the time to coach, train, and encourage their teammates, and which were not. Many reps who were extremely good at their job were let go for seemingly innocuous reasons, veiling the manager's personal dislike for the individual. The Hillsboro center has been open since September of 2006, and very few (if any) original cast members from the first three training classes exist. The management of the call center was not in any way stable; the entire team had been replaced once over, and in the less-than two years, they've gone through two site directors. With all of the management, quality, and training staff adjustments, many representatives felt as though getting promoted was a death knell to your time at Netflix. NOT that there were copious opportunities for advancement - quite the contrary. Team managers were hired from outside of the company, and rarely were promotions from within occurring. There were a handful of people who did move up the ladder, and, as previously mentioned, found themselves restructured out of the company, told that there was no longer work for them to do and laid off, or outright fired because they "don't fit the way the department is going."

Advice to Management

To the senior-most management in Los Gatos, I would ask that you send some sort of internal affairs mole into the call center. Hire someone to see what it's like from the floor's perspective, as naturally the team managers are putting on their best face for you. See what their day-to-day face looks like, and see how it compares. Because you very well might see that some of the individuals in places of authority don't seem to know, in the colloquial, their arse from a hole in the ground.

"I wish I would've joined years ago."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Think of the people you've worked with in your career. Now imagine the 5 best of those on one team. That's what working on a team at Netflix is like. Frankly, there are no stupid people here. None. Everyone I've met is damn sharp, very sharing of their knowledge and time, and enjoys what they do.

You are treated like an adult. You are not told what to do. Netflix is laissez faire, not command and control. With that comes responsibility and the potential for failure. If you fail often enough, you will not survive. If you don't expose yourself to this risk enough, you won't survive. Some people might consider this a downside, you won't like it at Netflix if you do.

The Netflix time off/vacation policy is that there is no policy. They don't track how many hours you take. You take time off when you want to, you don't have to ask for permission or approval. This non-policy is one example of many of how thoroughly Netflix expects you to behave like an adult. I've spent many years at big name valley companies. Without exception, everyone of them claims that they treat employees like adults. All of them pale in comparison to Netflix in this regard.

Cons

I'm a developer, and the code base at Netflix has warts that demonstrate its laissez faire culture. There is no architecture group with veto power, so the code evolves organically - I personally think this is great, but it can be frustrating. Luckily, it never stays "ugly" for long, but it frequently feels like a ball of mud.

There seems to be quite a bit of turnover. The first month I worked here, I counted at least 5 "good bye" emails. At least 4 of them were not voluntary. This can be disconcerting. But this is also not a company like Cisco, with regular annual headcount reduction quotas.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I've never been more confident that the sr. mgmt in a company was as intelligent and ethical as you are.

"Netflix is a great company, the Oregon office is tumultuous."

Former Employee - Does IT Matter?
    Former Employee - Does IT Matter?

Pros

The people there are fantastic, the service is great, the facilities are terrific as well as comfortable. Some of the perks were worth it (free Netflix!). The training team is great, the support staff are incredible, all very hard working people, the representatives on the floor are, without a doubt, the best in the industry. And who doesn't want to work "in the movies"? The pay is pretty decent, the benefits are acceptable.

Cons

It's frustrating to work for direct management who treat you like you're an inconvenience but yet you still provide them with reason to boast about top-rated customer service. Lack of communication. And unless you want to be management, lack of challenge and opportunities for growth. "Job security" doesn't really exist for anyone in the Oregon office. Innovation is encouraged yet support for implementing innovation is negligent at best.

Advice to Management

Stop being so secretive, just be upfront and honest! Learn to communicate, take the suggestions given seriously instead of treating everyone like they have no idea what they're talking about. Trust the people you hired to act in the best interest of Netflix as you trust those people every day to explain and defend your decisions.

"All in all, a great place to work"

Current Employee - Call Center Support Staff in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Call Center Support Staff in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Benefits are terrific and I have my perfect shift. Free movies are always wonderful. This is the perfect job for me because it really is low stress and it is a perfect avenue for my love of film, film history and general film knowledge.

Cons

Lack of communication and inconsistency of management team. Career opportunities are improving but not quickly enough. Performance reviews have been a long time coming and still are not in place with compensation increases.

Advice to Management

Tighten things up, get consistent, replace some of the team managers with competent leadership styles. Things are getting a little sloppy again and the manager/staff relationships are at times, inappropriate.

9. "If you get the chance, work there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

The company gives employees a lot of autonomy to get your work done. It values customer input, numbers and data and rewards creativity. It has a solid management team that has been at the company for many years and guided it through very turbulent times particularly the Blockbuster threat. The company attracts smart and creative talent in its departments, making it a good place to continue learning.

Cons

This is a jewel of a company with little downsides. Perhaps, the kitchen could be better stocked with health foods but then everyone is not Google.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

The best thing about Netflix is the ability for every single person to have a significant impact on the business. Each employee is given a huge piece of the business to own and we are allowed to make the right call with judgement. There is a ton of flexibility and the lack of policies and procedures makes each person use their brain when making decision. Netflix hires adults and treats them that way. A very unique and challenging work place that acknowledges hard work and expects high performance.

Cons

Expectations for employees are extremely high and everyone is extremely visable (also a good thing too).

Advice to Management

They are doing a great job, I don't have any feedback.

11. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Freedom and Responsibility is real here.

Cons

Everyone is really smart, you have to keep up.

Advice to Management

Stay focused!