Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Great place to work, so long as you fit the mold"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, great leadership, and constant ability to get your geek on, so long as you fit the mold

Cons

Netflix does not invest in training its people, the expectation is for you to already be a star, or to make yourself a star through your own efforts. Like Reed H has been quoted - it is a baseball team. However, if you fit the mold, this is fine.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Best company culture I've experienced!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture was extremely empowering - as an employee I really felt like I was listened to and had the freedom to do what I felt was best for the business. Knowing that management wanted employees at every level to understand the long and short term business strategies so that they could themselves make the best decisions for the business was extremely empowering - this kind of transparency is rare in companies. Coworkers were really smart and passionate about what they did. Management was self reflective and introspective. The company was constantly innovating and looking for ways to improve, so you never felt like you were sitting still. Perks and compensation were also the best I've experienced in my career.

Cons

Due to rapid growth over the 4 years I was there, perhaps a little bit of the culture was lost or watered down, mostly in terms of feeling like you perhaps knew fewer people as the company grew. No opportunities to work remote - when I moved out of state I would have loved to have continued to work for Netflix (at the same time, I understand why they don't want remote employees).

Advice to Management

Keep leading the way and revolutionizing both the entertainment industry as well as corporate culture!

3. "Distribution Clerk"

Former Employee - Accountant in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Netflix (More than a year)

Pros

This job is good for student.

Cons

If you have early class schedule then don't do it. The job starts at 3:00 AM to 6:46 AM

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Netflix
    Cafe on sight, moderately priced
    Free coffee and peanut m&m's
    Good health and dental benefits
    Very transparent
    No dress code (using good judgement)
    You can flex your on the clock breaks
    Pay is above market

Cons

Attendance policy is strict
    Little room for advancement
    Calls from very uneducated and slow people needing help with their Netflix
    Not much room for shift changing to earlier shifts (only night shifts available)
    It's "not scripted" although there are many things you must do verbatim
    Calls are very repetitious

"As call centers go, it's pretty awful"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros, everything that made me like the job was a blatant lie. Has health insurance so that's something.

Cons

The work is monotonous and draining. The chat team was dissolved, and then they shifted my hours to meet 'business needs' which took away the last bit of faith I had that they care about the employee. Supposedly you can choose from set shifts, but the time you pick is randomly assigned, meaning if you're randomly assigned to pick last, then there are no good options left. Could also mean that you work there for 2.5 years like my coworker and never get to have a weekend day off.
    In training they told us over and over again that top performers were promoted within 3 to 6 months but there have literally been no opportunities. They said numbers didn't matter, they promised unlimited time off, and a whole host of other perks. That has all been blatantly false, the entire job is a numbers game, you sit glued to your desk waiting for a coaching or meeting to break up the nightmare of the day but those keep getting pushed off to the future, which never happens. Unlimited time off was taken away, and you could be fired for a whole host of silly reasons, I myself have seen multiple coworkers walked off the floor for minor infractions, and the new policy of only 3 tardies (which could be 1 minute late) per YEAR is punitive. Even the free drinks are slowly being taken away, we have stupid lemon water options now or espresso, which I can't drink. This job has given me anxiety, I am actively looking for a different job and will quit the moment I'm able.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your employees, hire enough people so that you're not glued to the phone with back to back calls all day, promote an option of breaking up the work day instead of sitting stuck in the cubicle. You can't even take personal time for crying out loud, you get in trouble for needing to take a 2 minute bathroom break outside your schedued break time. Ive never had a job that so horrendously micromanages time to be sure you're getting every last second of work from the employee. Actually be truthful about advancement opportunities. I was told CRS2 would be avaliable August of 2016, that got pushed to January of 2017, then March of 2017, and now maybe 6 months into the future. That's ridiculous, and it has created a dead end job culture that there feels like no escaping from.

"Fast paced, high performing, high turnover, engineering-first"

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Netflix, it's a bold company to work for and you are surrounded by people who are passionate about what they do. I always say the health of the company starts at the top and Reed Hastings is someone I highly respect as he can see through people's BS and keeps those around him honest. He's the kind of person that will give you personal and professional advice even at an all hands with hundreds of people in attendance. The work will feel like you're being 'thrown to the fire' due to the culture of high performance and no subscribed process, but if you know what you're doing and stay dedicated to your team's goals in a productive manner, you should be fine.

Cons

While there are incredibly bright and talented designers at Netflix, I learned through my time there that this company was an engineering-first company. I mean, look at how long it took them to change the logo and get some design standards going. Design often times felt like a luxury than a necessity and there was a bit too much dependency on A/B testing to make decisions. I swear, I heard "have we A/B tested this yet?" in my dreams. A few times, I would point out that the results of the A/B test resulted in bad design solutions. It just seemed like upper management didn't understand design. As long as people are watching content and streaming patterns are on the up, then don't rock the boat. Also, watch out for those who play politics, sometimes the drama that plays out on projects or team dynamics is just unreal and some people just want to be the hero and get Reed Hasting's blessing. Unfortunately, there are some "brilliant jerks" in the company, learn to work around them and get stuff done right! Lastly, if you want a more life/work balance, this is probably not the place for you. I had some coworkers who didn't see their kids for days.

Advice to Management

Everyone looks so serious at work, address this lack of fun or effect on morale. Also, make design matter more to the business.

"Just blown away, I am Michael Jordan and you chose Sam Bowie. Never will have another like me. Run !"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and my peers. I loved my direct reports and they performed at a very high level. Low good attrition because they loved coming in every day. CSR'S are the most important part of any call center, I still get messages from past employees that are miserable there. Working hard for them, priceless and so rewarding. Still get messages from my first leadership job, wireless co. that rhythms with horizon wanting me back.. see the trend!

Cons

Approved FMLA was frowned upon, illegal but NetflixCS NOT NETFLIX (totaly separate companies) didn't care. They chose Utah because it's a right to hire/right to fire state. Worst location and facility, cheap equipmment and desks. Lesser companys that thought location may be important are all along UTA trax or frontrunner railways. Om never observed a coaching in final 7 months and was let go not for performance but for adjusting, not changing coaching logs. Coaching was wrote same but what Csr had to do was same and crystal clear. Wife has degree in English Communication and proof read my work. A+ ☆☆☆ writing. 0

Advice to Management

I opened the center, top 2 in 0overall stats 2015 & 2016 and my team loved me. Was not a yes man, was and always will be honest man. Was overpaid, told them first thing. Was told I changed coaching without rep in coaching with me, not actually changed just rewrote same thing but l with help of English grammar pro. I was never Netflix leadership trained and this0 was in leadership training to change coaching without csr present. How would i know without training? 0BPO'S have better structure and the first Supervisor hired begged me to not tell you be lied on resume, no leadership experience. Michigan fan, liar and still there along with many yes man. I was Verizon Trained in leadership, A++ and award winning training on all aspects of management. Still have emails of praise from Senior ops from Netflix Om's and led a 22 person team 3 months and it was 2nd overall in stats. It was because I cast the large shadow of a leader who could move mountains with my coaching, feedback and motivation. I came to you before FMLA, you approved my leave but let me go. Unheard of in any business. Ask my time off was approved and I was protected federally in my time off. It is the job of the company to get support to team while I was out. I still never had that leadership training to teach me not to Change coaching log (said same thing in log of what csr needed to do) without the csr present. CSR didn't even notice change, it was grammar and verbiage update of the same coaching recommendation. Remember giving me lower bowl Jazz tickets 2x for performance? Performance still high when using Federal Medical Leave Act insurance and still let go. Reading all the reviews left here are a clear direction of poor structure, internal training and bottom to top processes that produce consistency and values. Changing values, policy's monthly create chaos. Convergys has higher employee satisfaction and where I work now is best in state company to work for 2 years in row - Thumbtack! I make less but who cares, integrity means something. Try it sometime.. and still think you committed federal crime by letting someone go with approved FMLA.

"Senior Software Engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- compensation
    - from a product perspective: a unique blend of technology & entertainment
    - exciting industry and great business opportunities
    - you will be getting to know how to deal with AWS at scale

Cons

Culture:
    - high turnover
    - many people are staying only for the top of the market paycheck
    - employees adjust lifestyle to high compensation. As a result constant fear of being let go
    - colleagues will throw you under the bus to keep their jobs
    - very political due to lack of company policies/processes
    - any mistakes you make will be used against you (see point #3)
    - 0 empathy, mentorship or compassion
    - no clear career path
    - your experience will largely depend on your manager
    - if you want "psychological safety" go to Google or Facebook instead

Technology:
    - overall very poor code quality
    - most bigger architecture solutions are suboptimal due to "freedom and responsibility" and lack of overall technical vision
    - related to architecture: most technical decisions are completely localized, again due to "freedom and responsibility". As a result, high level of technical debt and meaningless duplication (NIH syndrome at scale)
    - dated technology stack (the most popular tech stack is tomcat/war)

9. "Customer Service Rep"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Other than the benefits, the environment you work in is very relaxed, while still maintaining professional boundaries. Management is easy to work with, feedback is more constructive than criticizing

Cons

Lack of upward growth/opportunity, you'll definitely get the unreasonable customers

10. "Contract."

I worked at Netflix (Less than a year)

Pros

Netflix is a great company to work for.

Cons

Cons would be that it unfortunately was a contract position!