Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated December 12, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • stands by culture deck, 'freedom and responsibility' is not a buzz phrase but reality, treated like an adult, no micromanagement (in 49 reviews)

• Creative environment, good pay, room for promotion (in 32 reviews)

Cons

"Cool culture, but they still have some kinks to work out"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, subsidized lunches, free fruit and coffee, lots of PTO, free Netflix acct, community involvement, company culture, internal growth

Cons

Only 3 tardies/early leave per year before separation, no tuition reimbursement, very strict about what can be at your desk, no holidays off, headsets provided are awful

Advice to Management

Keep moving the site in the right direction, and start interviewing for CSR2's soon!

2. "The lack of diversity and lack of initiatives to change this is depressing"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, fun projects, shuttles to many places in the Bay Area. If you're full-time the culture makes it easy to make your little slice of work your own.

Cons

They treat contractors like crap. Well at least this is the case in the department I was in. You are hamstrung by being a contractor and not having access to all information, not even knowing that you need access to this information or not even realizing you are missing information until it's too late. That might not be a problem for all contract positions, but as a project manager, it's essential that we are least made of aware of any news that might possibly affect the components we are in charge of.

The diversity is tragic. It's not as bad as many other Bay Area tech companies, but there is a lot of instances where one sibling gets another one in, one spouse will get another one in, friends from previous employment hire each other to recreate whatever made them leave the original company, etc.

I worked in a department with mainly an international team and when I started there were several comments made by my coworkers about how, because of my nationality, I therefore couldn't possibly understand certain issues like internationalization. I found several of the people to be very condescending if you didn't come from X school or worked at Y company.

The lack of feedback from your manager is non-existent. Again this might just be a contractor thing but for me I found that the majority of my coworkers were happy with my work, my stakeholders were happy with my work, I'd received kudos from my manager, etc. Then when a full-time position came available I applied and was essentially told by my manager that I wasn't good enough. I won't argue that decision because it's subjective but isn't it the Netflix policy that if a manager isn't happy with their employee it's best to just let them go and then find the best fit? After all, if I'm not good enough to be at Netflix then why are still keeping me around? I can only speculate as to the reasons so it's not even worth me writing them here.

Also in general, I know very few contractors since the time I've been here who have been converted to full-time. Some have been here as long as 2 years or longer.

Advice to Management

Don't say you are committed to diversity if you really aren't paying attention to the hiring practices of the B and C level managers who are all too often just hiring their buddies.

Netflix is scaling rapidly with new people and new products. My suggestion would be to find a way to facilitate interdepartmental learnings, this way you don't run the risk of people duplicating efforts.

"senior software engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

good to work and smart people around

Cons

more team work and culture should be improved

Advice to Management

put more focus on teams

"The culture drives this company"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

The culture! Lots of transparency, lots of realtime feedback, and lots of swag.

Cons

The culture...it can even work against you. The entitlement of the employees can get tiresome.

"Netflix hires the cream of the crop... But be prepared to work hard!"

Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

High Salary
    Great co-workers
    Beautiful South Bay location
    Relatively "small" company
    Free hot lunch, stocked kitchen
    Lots of SWAG
    Great PTO policy

Cons

Lack of internal growth opportunities
    Stock "options" not "shares"
    High turnover - can be cut throat
    Lack of diversity
    No recognized holidays.
    Double standards for executive staff.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate prioritites and distribute the wealth more evenly.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Great development culture, tons of opportunity, big problems, lots of independence - the motto "freedom and responsibility" is not just a platitude.

Cons

Make sure you agree with the Netflix Culture Deck - if you don't you won't be successful.

"Rockstar coworkers, freedom and responsibility"

Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rockstar coworkers, no brilliant jerks
    excellent pay, no vacation policy or tracking
    fast paced environment, minimal distractions and no unnecessary process - get loads of work done everyday.
    I can tell my friends I work in showbiz :)

Cons

None that I can think of, really. I guess the culture might take a bit adjusting to if you are not used to it.

"False Advertising"

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and snacks.
    Benefits.
    High percentage of PTO accrual, which is being cut in half soon.
    One flexible day off that is impossible to take if you have the beginning of the week off.

Cons

Is definitely numbers driven, even though they tell you it isn't.
    Manipulative management.
    Will use your peers against you.
    Told to ask questions if you don't understand something, but don't answer your questions and rarely give good context.
    Coachings that are supposed to happen every week get pushed off for a few weeks to a month.
    No one is on the same page.
    Your job is on the line after the one day you are sick.
    There is definitely an attendance policy, regardless of what you hear.

Advice to Management

Be up-front with your staff. Follow through on commitments. Be available. Follow your own behaviour standards.

"good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High-performing culture
    Unlimited vacation
    Pick your time to work
    Great pay

Cons

High performing culture
    If you get a manager that micro-manages it becomes annoying
    Too date driven while sacrificing quality - for a QA professional that's hard to take

"Culture of High Performance"

Current Employee - Training and Development Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Training and Development Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

What makes this location great is that the culture of high performance really helps you to grow, excel, learn and develop at a high level. While it can feel demanding at times, this actually has helped me to grow, offering many opportunities for growth that apply to any type of job I may want in the future.

Cons

As stated above, the job is high performance. Which means that the jobs here may not be the right fit for everyone. But for the right person, it's a great place.