Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated April 17, 2017

Current Employees

Pros
Cons
  • you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 48 reviews)

• Finance lives in a culture of fear (in 21 reviews)

"two thumbs up"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gilroy, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gilroy, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is very much what you see in the slide deck. Mostly smart and considerate coworkers. Netflix is very generous to employees.
    You get cheap trinkets every time there is a milestone.

Cons

There are actually a few incompetent and rude people that get in the door. Usually they don't stick around. If you work on a problem that can't be a/b tested, it can be hard to get traction for new ideas.

Advice to Management

I bet they regret getting rid of a great chief talent officer. Other than that they are golden.

"Its awesome!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Food, lots of it. Friendly people everywhere and they pay more then a average

Cons

Once you are out of training you could be fired any day because you're technically running through a different company for a month so they decide to keep you or not

Advice to Management

n/a

"My 2 Years at Netflix..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

I just hit my 2 year mark at Netflix, and it has been great thus far. It has been quite the whirlwind and learning experience, and I continue to be challenged every day. The partnerships I have formed are immeasurable, and to be involved with a company changing the way entertainment content is consumed is pretty exciting.

Biggest pro in my eyes to working here has been the people. My colleagues truly are "stunning" as the culture deck highlights. Really some of the best in the business, and everyone I collaborate with has a clear passion and drive for their work.

Although we move at lightning speed, it pushes me to excel, and not simply coast through the day to day grind.

Cons

Sometimes we forget to celebrate/recognize our major accomplishments because we are always moving towards the next best thing.

"#ILoveMyJob"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Freedom and Responsibility is the fabric of the culture. The mentality to be able to make changes and shift gears quickly allows us to execute in a manner that I have never experienced before in my previous companies. The inherit trust allows me to grow and the feedback and candor allows teams to refine great ideas to execution. We are treated like adults here and you are your own police.

Cons

I don't have any major qualms other then a smaller detail that their isn't a gym on campus. There is a discount for the gym across the street or access to another close to campus.

Advice to Management

Continue giving strong feedback and hold true to scaling the culture

"Great place to work if you are focused"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear focus on what to do but a lot of freedom on how to achieve it.
    Great cross-team collaboration.

Cons

Socializing is discouraged, no holiday party etc.

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Results driven, ability to create and execute own projets, candid feedback

Cons

Too many burnt out employees

8. "Inspiring place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by the absolute best and brightest professionals in their fields. You can really depend on those around you to do great work, which is inspiring. Great company culture and vision. Freedom to do your job in the way you see fit, with no extra rules or process.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Freedom and Responsibility isn't propaganda"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart people. You'll work alongside PhD statisticians and data scientists. Everyone, including IT, are incredibly good at their job. It really pushes me to be the best I can be.

There is almost no politics. Everyone does what's best, generally.

No vacation policy (a good thing), no expense report BS. You're treated like an adult.

Work/life balance is pretty good (40-45 hours a week), but you've got to be your own advocate.
    Extremely high salary

Cons

Ramp-up process is a bit harsh. Some encouragement early on would've been useful and also some reinforcement that I wouldn't be fired.
    The pace is incredibly quick. That can be a pro or a con, depending on your style.

Advice to Management

Make sure to support new people early on
    At whatever cost, try to maintain the culture at what it is

"Really solid company"

Current Employee - Csr1 Chat in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Csr1 Chat in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I love working here, you are pure customer service and you really have freedom in how you do your job. The culture is all about honesty and really caring about your customers and you can see that. They pay you very well and your paychecks are always consistent. You get five weeks paid vacation, incredible insurance dental and vision, free Netflix and Netflix swag, and so much more. You are treated as an adult and get to work around a lot of positive good quality people. Netflix cares about who they hire, and sometimes those people will lose their job because they aren't the right fit, thus those people come here and leave 1 star propaganda type reviews. If you aren't going to bring something positive to the work place then why are you even there? It makes it amazing to work there because the people who are there are really amazing, high quality positive people making this an extremely great environment . I'm never dreading going to work, the supervisors, agents and even operations management all talk to each other on a human level and no one is snarly or stuck up. Its an extremely chill environment with high expectations. You are expected to do your job and be an adult, and everything else is extremely relaxed. If you think you can come to work and mess around, you're not going to have a job long, but I've been here almost a year now and everything is just as amazing now as when it first opened.

Cons

I wouldn't say there are loads of downsides, we are a 24 hour call center so when you are hired you are told you need to be flexible with your work schedule. Most schedules you'll have for a good 3-4 months but when new schedules come out you need to be willing to take it on. We were told this at least ten times before being hired, so you can't really complain. And even if you get a schedule you don't want you can trade and they won't stop you.

Advice to Management

I would just say to keep doing what you're doing. K really appreciate how much you seem to care about your employees.

"Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Great culture, lots of autonomy, interesting product and work.

Cons

Commute to Los Gatos, and no SF office.