Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated August 13, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great company with a big let down on a management decision"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, and abundance of smart people, great managers,

Cons

some management decisions can be made without proper research.

Advice to Management

don't allow outside influences affect how you hire...

"Highly political culture, dysfunctional."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and the Netflix name helps on your resume, since most people outside do not know how bad it is inside.

Cons

Mind numbing. Stress. Constantly watching your back. There are people who have very high title (Directors, Managers, even VPs) who got it because they've managed to stay there the longest. Not because they are qualified for the job. The long timer/oldtimers survived by CYA each others. Those who they think are dangerous to their job will get the knife in the back.

It's not how good you are. It's how well you "play the game" and "fit in with the political culture". They value "safe" decisions that do not rock the boat. At least in the IT Ops dept that I worked in.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the cloud once in a while. There's real problem underneath. Engineering got tired of the dysfunctional IT Ops group, and built their own infrastructure so they don't have to deal with incompetent people.

Best thing to do is fire everyone in Ops, and start fresh.

"Repackager (former employee)"

Former Employee - Repackager in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Repackager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Netflix part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job to get for HS college student

Cons

mindless work with no opportunity

"Started out great but toward the end not so much..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movies, before the last set of layoffs there was genuine regard for employee satisfaction and feedback was often solicited not only to improve business processes but also to gauge morale. After a while, not so much...

Cons

Frequent layoffs. Whole departments got laid off at a time. I guess I should have figured how it was going to be when the entire management team save one manager was suddenly gone a few months after I had completed training, which btw was before the 2008 meltdown. The entire QA team was let go a few months later and the entire Tech support team shortly thereafter.

Advice to Management

Seems as though it would be difficult to keep quality people if the company lays off entire departments.

"High pay, but not worth it."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Used to be top of market pay. No longer is, but still higher than average.

Free Netflix account.

Cons

The Hillsboro call center is shrinking dramatically. Management puts as much spin on this as possible but the reality is, opportunities to advance do not exist.

The "Netflix culture" is hyped constantly but is not actually practiced. You will survive if you can speak the buzz words fluently while shamelessly self-promoting yourself at all times and never questioning management.

Everyone is under tremendous stress to protect their position for as long as possible. Success in Hillsboro depends not on the quality of your work but upon your ability to spin the truth and play politics.

Advice to Management

Management is not looking for advice.

"Was once a Superstar now very much adrift."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly New Technology, Smart Talent, Free food and iphones. This place will certainly wow you in technology and some of the best talent, Good compensation.

Cons

lousy vacation policy(get real, no vacation policy - no vacation), very stressful work environment, little to no career opportunities if you are hired as an engineer, Chaos everywhere - High Turnover always affects your work one way or the other.

Advice to Management

About time you should check your champion badge, it may have expired. Qwikster was a debacle. But the hiring cycle afterwards brought some worse incompetent middle management. Open door policy and summary dismissals might have worked for us in the past when we were a DVD business, but it definitely is hurting us - Bay is a very small place. Your talent is leaving(or about to leave), others are simply not interested in working with us. If you dont believe me, ask why recruiters always have to bring talent from outside silicon valley. Promote openness, talent and healthy work environment - not mediocre middle management's words. Please bring back the culture from 3 years ago.

"Great Pay, Little Security"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Good pay for the work, and benefits.

Cons

Average call center. Very high turnover

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

* Best place if you just want to work with great technically capable folks.
    * 15-20% higher pay but if you actually consider everything, it might not be that big of a deal. Check what will be in-hand salary after taxes because taxes also go high with salary.
    * Somewhat transparent workplace but at times higher management takes ridiculous decisions like Quickster, what the hell....
    * Reed gets thing right most of the time (except Quickster) and understand what he is doing.

Cons

* Worst place where all technically capable folks are also so heavy on political games within the team. Also it depends on which team you are part of. My general observation is, larger the team greater the politics being played within.
    * IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are. I have seen ppl being walked out they were far more talented than other mediocre engineers surviving there for 3-4 years just because they lick the managers a*s and I have seen managers loving it being licked :)
    * Few managers who came from Google or some other similar companies, think that they know everything in the world and act as if they rule the world but actually they are literally dumb a*s when it comes to real work.
    * They claim it is all rockstar engineers and the fire who are not but I have seen ppl surviving for ages not even knowing what they did for all these years at Netflix and they are pure mediocre engineers.
    * My advice to engineers would be if you are happy with the work what you are doing right now or with other offers in hand, don't fall for the salary trap, it is merely an illusion.

Advice to Management

* Gets rid of all mediocre managers, directors and those stupid engineers.
    * Change the culture of fear from its root because that creates so much politics inside. I have never seen such a political environment in my 10 yrs career.

"Customer Service Represenative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay. $14/hr + benefits or ~$19/hr without benefits. (Not taking the $10,000 in benefits) Great employees.

Cons

Company is not transparent. Often customers will know a huge step taking by upper management before you do. Covering up or what I like to call lying to customers. This job will wear you down with customers, which is not the primary concern but middle management. No clear direction from supervisors they're just looking out for their jobs. One supervisor will differ from the other rapidly.

Advice to Management

Please stop making this such a cut throat environment. When reps get it from customers and then you also tie our hands with middle management it makes us despondent and depressed. Most of the reps hate Netflix and stresses them out. Resort to drinking excessively and drugs as a solution to the stress the job implements.

"Very good pay and they make you pay for it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good pay
    Free movies
    Popcorn
    Tools are pretty good for a call center
    Lots of parking since they keep firing anyone that works on DVD

Cons

Horrible benefits. You pay a lot for nothing. Don't be fooled by the extra allotment
    No vacation policy means no vacations. The managers and HR are always gone. Maybe they get vacation...
    In last 3 months all the good managers were fired or they work in california
    HR was a recruiter and hardly knows HR. Now that person runs the center and makes the decisions
    Outsourcers keep taking our calls and then they mess them up and transfer them to us instead of the survey. Then our DSAT goes up and then we get fired.

Advice to Management

Take care of the DVD business or shut it down. Stop making decisions based off what HR says.