Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Great place for highly motivated super-stars"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Open book business - nothing is hidden. If you want to find out something, no barriers to reach out across departments or ranks. Head count is low, so operation is lean and mean. Great pay.

Cons

If you're not earning your raise, you are on your way to get fired. No cafeteria (but free box lunch).

Advice to Management

Continue innovating in HR, culture, technology, and subscription business model. Don't allow ourselves to fall in to a sense of security by current good times.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Extremely open and honest culture to work in.
    Management takes pride in culture and therefore is very candid about both the strategy of the company, and the challenges ahead of us.

Very flat organization.

Cons

No clear career path or career development provided. "High performance" culture means that we aim to hire very talented people (which is great), but we don't hestitate to let some one go if its not going to be a good fit over the long-run.

Advice to Management

Continue being open and candid about our strategic direction; it's extremely helpful in providing both context and unity of purpose.

"Highly Talented Group of Employees"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer In Test in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Challenging and yet very collaborative workplace. Shared goal without politics. Lots of moving parts hence a lot of things to learn. Excellent Pay. Free Lunches.

Cons

Similar trappings of a growing company but nothing surprising that I have not already seen in one form or another with other companies I worked for in the past.

Advice to Management

Embrace some form of process. Process can be useful if applied in the correct way and still enable any group to be flexible and role with schedule.

"Phenom place to work if you are lucky enought to be offerred a position"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

culture of excellence in all ways

Cons

small scale teams means less opportunity for variety than other firms

"If Netflix was a TV show: Action Series with a Hint of Survivor"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

* "Freedom and Responsibility Culture" = Lots of individual control (Read Reed's slide deck)
    * If you're part of a well-run team, you'll love it
    - Excellent compensation
    - Unique stock option program with personal choice for $$$ allocated
    - Fast-paced environment with lots of challenges
    - It's the largest streaming movie service in the world and it's just getting better
    - Extremely open with corporate information sharing (no internal culture of secrecy like Apple)
    - Incredible execution over the last couple years - the methods can be controversial, but you can't argue with the quarterly/annual results

Cons

* "High Performance Culture" = You can hang yourself easily and get canned (Read Reed's slide deck)
    * If you join a mis-managed group, you'll be posting a negative review on here soon. :-)
    - Average benefits programs
    - Inexperienced managers can mis-apply the "high performance culture" philosophy and lead to the "culture of fear" some people have complained about in certain organizations
    - Double-standard for performance: VP/C-level staff appear immune from "high performance culture". Reed rocks, but some of the others are average/good, not exceptional.

Advice to Management

In almost two years at Netflix: Some people LOVE working at Netflix, some cautiously tolerate it. Too much of this is dependent on whether they're working for a competent manger that is assumed to properly apply the "high performance culture" philosophy.

The desire to streamline HR by getting rid of almost all policies and procedures means no "professional development" for your management teams. There needs to be a level of education for new managers (hired and promoted. Don't assume everyone "get's it" in order to make sure the "high performance culture" is properly applied. Done right, people will know what's expected of them, get regular feedback from their managers, and KNOW if they're on the short list for being let go as business needs change. They can react to this and either adapt or anticipate why they're getting a severance package. For most employees, Netflix is a short-term roller-coaster ride with options to ride again for those who enjoy it. When someone exits the ride, you want them leaving with a smile and the civil handshake, not a brick to the head and a just a check to cushion the pain.

I've been lucky to work for a manger who's awesome, and I've been having a great time. It's painful to see the flip side where co-workers are not always enjoying the same perspective when the company is doing so well as a whole.

"Best run company I have ever been with and I have been with some good orgs."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Amazingly smart people. Business looks easy but is complicated--hard problems to solve which is why I am here. I get to do work that affects our customers, directly...way cool that my role has that much impact.

Cons

Not everyone wants the culture to work--and that is disappointing.

Advice to Management

Keep the course with the business and the culture.

"The Right Place If You Are The Right Fit"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

So far I am incredibly impressed with Netflix. This is by far the highest concentration of smart people I have ever seen at one company and I have worked in Silicon Valley for over 20 years at large and small companies. In addition, not only are they smart but also very helpful and ego free. I read the culture slide deck before I started but wondered if they actually "walked the walk". I've found the answer to that question to be "absolutely".

If you are not a really smart, driven person who can operate completely independently and with little direction from management, then you will not be happy or successful at Netflix. There is no hand holding, and expectations are high. But if you are the kind of person that craves lots of freedom and responsibility than you will love it.

In the period of time I've been here, I have personally seen several people get promoted from engineers to managers and from managers to directors. There is a lot of career growth as the company is growing like gangbusters right now and if you are great you will love it and thrive.

Cons

If you are looking for safety and worried that you won't get another job somewhere else, Netflix is not the place for you. Basically, Netflix operates like a Startup company. There is no hand holding, you have to make lots of important decisions on your own, you have to be proactive about seeking out help and information, and the culture is fast paced and filled with lots of people who would be the smartest guys in the room at other companies. At Netflix the whole room is filled with those guys. If that intimidates you or scares you, thats a sign its not a good fit for you. If that lights you up and excites you, then you will love working at Netflix.

Advice to Management

Its going to be a challenge to preserve the unique culture as the company grows. Please keep focusing on freedom and responsibility and make sure new managers totally get that aspect of the culture. That is what attracted me to Netflix and I want to see it continue as we grow.

"One of the best run companies, great benefits, no sick leave or vacation policy & exceptional pay"

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Redwood City, CA

Pros

A go-go place that is well-run and exciting. Until the recent blowback on pricing, it was (and still is) a great place that everyone recognizes. Engaging, valuable projects were constantly being pursued. Really loved the Marketing team and the relationship with the other departments!

Cons

Not for the faint of heart. If you seek a place to hide, you won't last long here. Other than that, it is hard to not have loved working for a company that has great products and management.

Advice to Management

Love your vacation and sick leave policy, no limits based on the work you achieve. I am not certain if they can keep it up as they get bigger, but hope you can!

"Come join us!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Lots of new technologies to learn, upper management is very capable and highly effective

Cons

Fast paced, and a lot of work has to be done to become the best streaming company

"Great place to work if you're looking for brilliant people who think outside of box about absolutely everything."

Current Employee - Director of Data Science & Analytics in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Data Science & Analytics in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

great culture of openess, communication, respect, and high-performance
    no 'brilliant jerks' tolerated
    complete autonomy in your work

Cons

less job security than you might feel at other companies