Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated December 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • stands by culture deck, 'freedom and responsibility' is not a buzz phrase but reality, treated like an adult, no micromanagement (in 49 reviews)

• Creative environment, good pay, room for promotion (in 32 reviews)

Cons

1. "Customer Service Support"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Employees get the unlimited streaming/DVD

Cons

- They treat you as a "number" and not a person
    - Never any job security

Advice to Management

Work with your employees and start treating them as a human being instead of a number, a little goes a long way.

"Don't get comfortable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High pay, freedom and responsibility.

Cons

Everything else. If you want to work 90 hours a week, have no family life, and still get fired after nothing but glowing reviews, then this place is for you! In my case, I gave direct, actionable feedback about a colleague, and that led to my dismissal. The culture deck says feedback is never used to retaliate - but that's not true at all. So fair warning - if you give someone honest feedback about how to improve in their position, be prepared for that to bite you later on. Politics is real here - people are retained or promoted based on who they know, and people are so routinely fired here, regardless of their performance, that everyone is numb to it.
    Glad to see my time here coming to an end. If you like playing dirty politics at work, then you've found a good place. If you want psychological safety at work, keep moving.

Advice to Management

Don't fire excellent people.

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are the reason I joined Netflix and continue to enjoy my job every day. The culture is true when it says Netflix hires stunning colleagues.

I am empowered to make decisions without manager approval. Unlike other companies I have worked for, Netflix trusts that the employees are using good judgement to make the best decisions for the company. (No hiring committee or CEO approval to hire)

Your job is as big as you make it. If you see an opportunity for impact you don't need to ask permission, make it happen.

Cons

It takes time find and hire stunning colleagues so roles often go unfilled for longer than desired

"Fun ride, fast pace and changes (including your job)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good pay
    The base pay is very attractive. While it ends up being pretty equal to other companies' total comp, it is enticing to get it up front in your base pay. No guessing on how the company will perform. But understand it is iffy as to whether you will make much more beyond your initial offer.

- Interesting challenges
    They really are willing to challenge the status quo and test new ideas. Things are not always arrived at efficiently, but it is great to see innovation throughout the company and not just in tech groups.

- Growing company with solid successes
    After being at some tech companies in a downward spiral, it was refreshing to be on the upswing and enjoy the possibilities that come with performing well.

Cons

- Benefits are weirdly inconsistent
    Amazing maternity leave but I had to pay quite a bit out-of-pocket for decent family health benefits, bizarre stock option plan, weak vision/dental

- The culture of fear is real in some groups
    This is because it depends on your leader. Some leaders manage up well and hide their incompetence by constantly changing their staff. I was the 3 leader of my team in a 4-year period. Also leadership does not enforce the same "stunning colleague" standards for non-critical orgs.

- HR is fairly ineffective (except staffing is great)
    HRBPs enable incompetent leaders because they are dependent on them. If a leader gains new teams then typically the HR person gets bigger scope as well. If the business leader doesn't "connect" well with their HRBP, you are likely to see the HRBP get a "generous severance package."

- Your job can change fast, both good and bad
    Be prepared that you can gain new teams and responsibilities quickly, but you can also go from being stunning to out the door in a matter of weeks. I think people get the high standards communication really well from the culture deck, but the speed with which your personal circumstances will change can be shockingly fast.

Advice to Management

Please apply the same quality standards to all parts of business leadership. And weigh a leader's ability by more than their ability to manage up. You know there are some weak leaders on your executive staff right now. Will you do what is easy for you (turn a blind eye to it) or do what is right and best for the employees?

5. "Good for a customer service position"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix (Less than a year)

Pros

Well paying for the position and good benefits.

Cons

Repetitive, no upwards mobility, and scheduling is a nightmare.

Advice to Management

Find ways to accommodate people's schedules.

6. "Production Assistant"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

Free lunch once in a while

Cons

Assigned menial tasks, learning very little

7. "Great company, but not forever"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Great experience and challenging problems

Cons

Zero work life balance at all levels

Advice to Management

Hire more people to alleviate workloads

"Great product, great company, great culture, with a few kinks"

Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Total freedom to do outstanding work if you are up to the task. Great coworkers and colloberative environment to supply the best entertainment possible anywhere, any time all over the world.

Cons

Having that freedom to excel comes the same freedom for everybody else, including your boss. If they just don't like you they have the freedom to fire you without any buy in from anybody else. They have complete freedom to do so without any solid justification, no matter how good everybody else thinks you are. Hence frequent shock when people hear so and so got fired when everybody that worked with them thought they were a rock star. This is setting the seed for large scale office politics.

Advice to Management

Continue the stellar work, Netflix is going gang busters. Continue to work on those barriers to entry. Keep a close eye on the culture, of course it will evolve but steer it in the right direction constantly. Also because senior execs have been at the company a long time does not necessarily mean they are the right fit for the company currently.

"Culture of Fear"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is amazing, and kitchen is well stocked.

Cons

Hiring is a joke. There is a culture of fear you will get fired, so everyone tends to hire people who are less talented then they are. So you are starting out with B level players hire C who hire D. And all live in fear they will get canned. The code base is blogged about and presented very well, but it's a streaming company. Their value is content and your technology doesn't matter. Rarely do/did we hire anyone away from a real tech company (Google, Apple, Facebook, etc). Those who work here want the money, and then stay to defend their employment status b/c they now spend more and change their lifestyle, versus change their skills by being better engineers.

"Pays well, high turnover"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Netflix pays it's employees well, salaried employees get "unlimited vacation."

Cons

Extremely high turnover, high pressure environment.