Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company"

Former Employee - Data Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Data Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great company, nice technology stack

Cons

Can not think of any cons

Advice to Management

Keep at it.

"The culture drives this company"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

The culture! Lots of transparency, lots of realtime feedback, and lots of swag.

Cons

The culture...it can even work against you. The entitlement of the employees can get tiresome.

"Just blown away, I am Michael Jordan and you chose Sam Bowie. Never will have another like me. Run !"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and my peers. I loved my direct reports and they performed at a very high level. Low good attrition because they loved coming in every day. CSR'S are the most important part of any call center, I still get messages from past employees that are miserable there. Working hard for them, priceless and so rewarding. Still get messages from my first leadership job, wireless co. that rhythms with horizon wanting me back.. see the trend!

Cons

Approved FMLA was frowned upon, illegal but NetflixCS NOT NETFLIX (totaly separate companies) didn't care. They chose Utah because it's a right to hire/right to fire state. Worst location and facility, cheap equipmment and desks. Lesser companys that thought location may be important are all along UTA trax or frontrunner railways. Om never observed a coaching in final 7 months and was let go not for performance but for adjusting, not changing coaching logs. Coaching was wrote same but what Csr had to do was same and crystal clear. Wife has degree in English Communication and proof read my work. A+ ☆☆☆ writing. 0

Advice to Management

I opened the center, top 2 in 0overall stats 2015 & 2016 and my team loved me. Was not a yes man, was and always will be honest man. Was overpaid, told them first thing. Was told I changed coaching without rep in coaching with me, not actually changed just rewrote same thing but l with help of English grammar pro. I was never Netflix leadership trained and this0 was in leadership training to change coaching without csr present. How would i know without training? 0BPO'S have better structure and the first Supervisor hired begged me to not tell you be lied on resume, no leadership experience. Michigan fan, liar and still there along with many yes man. I was Verizon Trained in leadership, A++ and award winning training on all aspects of management. Still have emails of praise from Senior ops from Netflix Om's and led a 22 person team 3 months and it was 2nd overall in stats. It was because I cast the large shadow of a leader who could move mountains with my coaching, feedback and motivation. I came to you before FMLA, you approved my leave but let me go. Unheard of in any business. Ask my time off was approved and I was protected federally in my time off. It is the job of the company to get support to team while I was out. I still never had that leadership training to teach me not to Change coaching log (said same thing in log of what csr needed to do) without the csr present. CSR didn't even notice change, it was grammar and verbiage update of the same coaching recommendation. Remember giving me lower bowl Jazz tickets 2x for performance? Performance still high when using Federal Medical Leave Act insurance and still let go. Reading all the reviews left here are a clear direction of poor structure, internal training and bottom to top processes that produce consistency and values. Changing values, policy's monthly create chaos. Convergys has higher employee satisfaction and where I work now is best in state company to work for 2 years in row - Thumbtack! I make less but who cares, integrity means something. Try it sometime.. and still think you committed federal crime by letting someone go with approved FMLA.

"senior software engineer"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

good to work and smart people around

Cons

more team work and culture should be improved

Advice to Management

put more focus on teams

"Fool's Gold"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

* Great pay
    * Smart coworkers
    * Good product
    * Business casual dress code

Cons

* With no ladders or levels your performance is 100% based on your direct manager's perception of you.
    * Every person interprets, and practices, the culture deck differently which means you could have a very different experience based on the team you are hired into.
    * Lots of gossip - people try to pass it off as "gathering feedback." Conversations are never truly over or resolved.
    * Recruiting/HR weighs heavily on hiring decisions (the culture piece), however, they have the worst turnover out of any of the teams at Netflix (maybe not so great at assessing culture fit).
    * Recruiters will tell you, "We have the same turnover as any company our size in the Bay Area it's just that our approach is different." However, no one in recruiting can give a specific number as it relates to "normal" attrition.
    * No referral bonus
    * Not enough diversity
    * Quick to fire people and make them think it was their decision.

Advice to Management

* Don't just promote people into management roles because of tenure.
    * If a team has high turnover, it's time to do something about the management of that team.
    * The "Keeper" test should not just be actively used on IC's but all levels of management as well.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Great development culture, tons of opportunity, big problems, lots of independence - the motto "freedom and responsibility" is not just a platitude.

Cons

Make sure you agree with the Netflix Culture Deck - if you don't you won't be successful.

"Worst Supervisor Ever!!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, good benefits, nice coworkers

Cons

Everything depends on your Supervisor, if you get the wrong one they will be condescending, demean you, micromanage you and fire you for no logical reason. No explanation, no exit interview, nothing in writing. I had the most unprofessional Supervisor I have ever met.

Advice to Management

Please research why a person was fired. Don't trust your call center Management. They will fire reps for nothing. This could cause possible lawsuits in the future.

"Experience based on Supervisor"

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Get to work on a lot off different aspects, transparency, work with smart people, Reed Hastings

Cons

People pick and choose from cultural deck, varies from team to team, supervisor felt entitled based on tenure, not a good leader, complete opposite of the traits from the deck

Advice to Management

Recognize weak management early, review tenured employees as well

"Experience totally based on supervisor. They have too much power"

Pros

Good work, good pay. Energetic environment. New technologies.

Cons

Experience in Netflix totally depends on the supervisor. If you are lucky and get a matured manager, there is no reason to not like working in NETFLIX. However it could be a nightmare if your manager does not like you for some reason. It is always your words vs manager's word in there (happened in my case and they believe the manager). I was hired under a manager who convinced me to join Netflix (I had 24 emails from that person persuading me). However I learned after joining that I am supposed to report to a new manager and the very first day that new guy complained that I have never worked with JAVA and AWS (Then why did he agree to take me in his team in the first place ? ). Nightmare started from that very day. He kept on mentioning the same thing every one on one. He forced me to move my position in every meeting and make sure I seat where he points me to. He will talk to all my co-workers and inform them if he is cancelling one on ones, for me he wont do anything and just disappear. He
    will constantly irritate me saying how good he was when he joined. He will always shout at me and try to ignore my opinions on any damn technical stuff. I was totally terrified of him and knew that he will make sure that I fail. He tried all he could. He gave me two projects and one project scope kept changing and changing. Still i tried to keep up and developed good relationships with other team managers, members and project managers.One day (I am sure my manager was waiting for that day) I wrote something incorrect in an email (this is my 4th month I guess). He pounded on me, and also after a 14 hour continuous on call, I took a 2 min break, he shouted at me for 15 minutes for missing a false alram ! I apologized. He tried to blame me for what I did not do and said he and someone else was watching me silently, while I was chatting with someone else about some technical issue over a group chat. So unethical ! He said some PM complained about me and when I asked for the names and examples he refused. I raised the alarm to higher management and they said it is "his word vs mine". One day they said they are sorry I had to go through this and next day they change the tone and said they have to believe my manager. I requested them to talk to engineers and get feedback. They refused to even do that. I resigned the next week as I could not take the humiliation and realized that if I stay back and work in the same group, they will find some excuse to fire me. I knew all companies where I worked before were waiting to take me back any day. So I had no worry. The funny part is the people who were working with me kept on sending me emails about how good it was to work with me and they were surprised that I left. But my manager never found anything good in me.

I wish I had a better manager in NETFLIX, then I would enjoy my life there so much. Please make sure you understand your supervisor before you join. That is the most important thing. Everything else will fall into place.

Advice to Management

Give engineers some more respect and try to understand who is at fault. Look at that persons history before you conclude in 4 months or 5th months just based on one person, the manager who was not happy with the hire from very very first day.

"Worst Place for work"

Pros

Pay, benefits, equipment, some co-workers

Cons

Everything else. Manager is a racist and the assist manager is a hispanic the discriminates hispanics, if you are a hispanic you are doomed. If you are white and the nephew of one of the supervisors the manager going to promote you to driver 3 even when there was only two routes and 2 Drivers 3 already in those routes.

Advice to Management

Fire those racist managers