Netflix Reviews | Glassdoor

Netflix Reviews

Updated February 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • This in turn creates a culture of fear where people are constantly stressing out that they are "not doing enough" and might be fired any minute (in 21 reviews)

• you will see people you like let go because they weren't the right fit for their role (in 46 reviews)

"Great working environment."

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Free Netflix for employees, positive working environment, you could watch TV in between taking calls. All of the employees were friendly and management helped with out-of-hand customers.

Cons

Rude customers calling, you'd have be highly patient. Management really only focused on stats, and some customers would ruin them if there's no way you could help with their "technical" issues when you're job is specifically to fix netflix related problems.

Advice to Management

Try not to keep the focus on who stays hired by their stats because most of the time, it's not our fault. Especially when someone calls and hangs up, or choose not to take the survey.

"Changing Values"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow customer service employees/management are great, great pay and KILLER benefits. Cafe is subsidized which makes fresh healthy food very cheap

Cons

When the center first opened there was a very employee-focused vibe, and it created a comfortable, positive space while we still did our jobs. While the center is still miles better than your average call center, there's been a big shift to being numbers and metric focused (something we were promised from day 1 of the center opening would not happen) often at the expense of employees and floor support. There's a major disconnect between HR/WFM and what actually happens on the floor, and often we are given no context as to why decisions negatively impacting us are made.

The center here in SLC has also stopped promoting people internally- a majority (if not all) of the supervisors in the last several months were hired externally. This is another example of changing values at Netflix; rather than giving current (well qualified) employees opportunity for growth, they hire people unfamiliar with the process and product, which further impacts the floor negatively.

Advice to Management

Resume promoting internally rather than hiring externally. Have WFM spend more time on the actual floor (chat and voice, but especially chat since it's so far away from WFM) to fix the disconnect. Provide more context to floor when WFM makes a decision that negatively impacts us.

"Review"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Netflix (More than 8 years)

Pros

entry level growth oppurtunites are there

Cons

glass ceiling in terms of long term growth

5. "Global Learning and Development Curriculum Developer, e-learning"

Current Employee - Global Learning and Development Curriculum Developer, E-learning in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant team of fellow employees

Cons

I don't have any cons at this time.

"Not a great place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Netflix
    After a certain amount of time they give you extra compensation for healthcare.
    Able to swap work days work coworkers.

Cons

Dealing with angry customers
    Micromanagement
    Threatening management
    I had a supervisor get IM me and tell me to get back on the phones when I was 35 seconds over my 15-minute break. No joke.

"The Place to Work"

Former Employee - AV CC Vefifier in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - AV CC Vefifier in Burbank, CA

Pros

Fast paced, professional high tech environment. Pro employee relations. Continually upgrading technology and educating workers. You are recognized for your accomplishments.

Cons

There are no cons I know of working for this company.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees the same, great job.

"Netflix"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

At Netflix, I'm treated like an adult. Nobody micromanages me, and I have the freedom to do my job the way I want. I partner directly with the engineering teams I support and fully understand their hiring needs, as opposed to messaging any and all engineers with the aim of throwing them blindly into a bucket for distribution.

Cons

Feedback is real and real-time, so this isn't the place for you if you take things personally or don't internalize feedback well.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Continue to hire great people because it makes coming into work an absolute joy. More words to hit word cap.

"Have a backup plan"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Many of the people who work here are top performers. Many companies say they only hire the best yet it feels more consistent here. High bar to get in. Free snacks and flexible time.

Cons

Management can and will fire you for any reason they want. Don't make the mistake thinking it can only be performance related. There are no guidelines to how long it takes to terminate you. Before you know a pink slip may be handed to you. I saw people get fired without anyone understanding why.

Corporate culture wants people who strive to make the company better. Most are simply yes-men to keep their high salary job.

Not very diverse. Walk around campus for 5 minutes and it's clear the demographic they target.

"Not high standards, high conformity"

Pros

Many of the engineers are genuinely good within their bounds. They exhibit a desire to get work done. The tooling is excellent, deployments globally are a breeze, and one can gather great insights from the metrics.

Pay and benefits are amazing.

Cons

Please stop firing amazing talent. Other posts here paint the wrong picture -- that those who survive at Netflix are the best. It is inaccurate at best. The quality of many of those let go is not in doubt, but management is frequently inept at appreciating their ability. Many who stay are very bright, but many who are let go are as well.

If you do not tow engineering's backwards line you are looked down upon. People live in constant fear of being canned and this causes them to behave in an immature fashion painting their peers as less than they are. Some seem to delight in the plight of others who are let go -- a mentality of "better him than me." It is not survival of the fittest, it is a blind thought police, who speak openly about wanting to hear others' opinions (as long as the opinion agrees with theirs) and then balk when they are actually given. Alternatives are not actually wanted, obedience and maintaining the status quo are. If you are to be disruptive, you must be disruptive in their way. If that makes no sense it is because it is truly illogical.

One can hope this is not so pernicious as to infect every team and I would dare to say that it isn't. But do your homework and know what you are getting yourself into.

Advice to Management

Look inward to a policy and culture that perhaps on its surface appears attractive but hides an ugly story of fear and a need to conform which stifles creativity and achieving quality work. Quality need not be continually sacrificed in the name of "getting sh** done."

You were a once great company with great engineers. Stop it with the culture of fear. Just stop it. It does not encourage making the right decisions, people do things to protect their job and high salary, not because it is the best thing to do. It is poisoning the work and you are and can be better than that. Also do not fool yourselves with those who pay lip service to the culture in public -- in private, I have found, they lambast it. Perhaps a retrospective on your culture is in order.

"Netflix Marketing"

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

The freedom & responsibility culture is real. It is nice to go to battle alongside fully-formed adults who are the best at what they do. The product is amazing and incredibly fun to market. Reed is an incredible leader….focused and effective.

Cons

While one of the plus sides of the debate culture is gathering multiple perspectives on your work, the downside is that you can get slowed down by the need to accommodate a myriad of stakeholders. Marketing leadership also hasn't quite found the right balance of art and science. While Netflix has become an entertainment brand, it should be careful to not set up an organization that acts/looks/feels exactly like a Hollywood company. If you are not in L.A. and/or working on creative, it has become increasingly difficult to feel like you are truly part of the Netflix marketing organization.

Advice to Management

Ensure that marketing leadership can flex both the right and left brain. Ensure that the CMO is willing to engage folks in all corners of the marketing organization (programmatic marketing, partner marketing, etc.)