Cover image for Netflix

4.3
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings
1,000 Ratings

What people are saying about Netflix

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good pay and people are very smart and driven.(in 164 reviews)
  • "Great benefits for families and web(in 125 reviews)
  • "Netflix is staffed with great people and those that are not so great get terminated.(in 117 reviews)
  • "great culture and a lot of talent(in 108 reviews)
  • "The motto 'Freedom and responsibility' is deeply lived at all levels of the organization.(in 89 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Netflix and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

great team

Nov 26, 2022 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

cosy environment high pay and experienced team

Cons

strict return offer to get

2. 3.0
    Current Employee

How much does a functioning human cost?

Sep 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Paycheck - So many good people - Such a great service - Hope

Cons

I have been working for a year at Netflix. I've seen what was supposed to be very mature people, sharing absolutely almost no contact that anyone would qualify as "human". Sure, that sounds hyperbolic, let me develop (and maybe cherry-pick a little). Have you heard about our culture? The one about giving candid feedback? - I have seen people complaining of behavior they literally demonstrated themselves in the following days. But I have also seen these feedbacks resulting in tears both in the eyes of HR persons or fellow engineers. How human does that sound? Have you heard about our culture? The one about not tolerating brilliant jerks? I have nonetheless seen angriness and frustration, expressed in private, public and meeting. People rejecting new ideas by default, like, any ideas they wouldn't have worked themselves on for days wouldn't count. Even if those ideas are from the best examples in the industry or academics. How many publications/contributions have you seen from Netflix to computer science in general? How does it compare against any other company of that size in the Bay Area? Can you imagine either the real insecurity (x)or the lack of innovation that could lead to this situation? Except for a few managers, directors or VPs feeling free enough to behave at work in the same way than how they live, almost every engineer I have been interacting with, have shared as little as possible about their private life. The rare exceptions of interpersonal exchange ends up around some sort of competitive behavior: Who is the most geeky, sportive, owns the fastest car/biggest house/visited the strangest place. I've heard workaholic people complaining about ambitious peers who were over-managing, over-working to get even more work to do after. I feel like we're past workaholism at this point. Maybe there are a lot of shy people! Maybe there is a culture of fear, not only of being fired, but also a fear of interacting with people going to be fired. Maybe it's all in my head, maybe people giving 5 stars to their experience here don't care the human aspect of a company. And maybe they're right. What about your crush, your fears, your desires for the future, your appetite for life? I've been blessed to work in enough large companies to know that the behavior that I'm seeing in Netflix is not a healthy one. I've also been lucky enough to work in other industries more socializing than tech and I can tell that Netflix has a lot to do on that side, and off-sites or team meeting won't solve that problem. I am afraid about the tragic, but inevitable consequences of the ways people operate in this company: I guess that the day the worst will happen, it will be addressed in an impersonal memo by Reed; followed-up by 1 or 2 reminders during offsites. Possibly commented by HR in a Q&A document. And move on. This company seems as reactive in its management of people as it is proactive in its business operations. I still work at Netflix though, not only for the paycheck, but because I hope. I hope it will change. The needed change can't happen from a candid feedback, a Q&A, or only from inside. Change has to come from everyone, including people who take time to read comments like this one. Netflix has so many good people and offers such a great service. As a curious Netflix employee reading this review: think about your past, isn't there a big human thing that you would love to feel again in your current company that you've felt in the past? As a candidate: think about what would be a good question to ask to that HR partner once your package is almost here to be offered to you, think about that comment you make at the end of an interview when you're being asked by an engineer: "Do you have any question for me?" What Netflix needs is an inception, something that anyone and everyone would think about after leaving the call or the room they were sharing with you. Ask yourself, and then the others, the question you should ask if you think you want to spend a good amount of your life and energy in the place you're applying for. - Will I learn and contribute to the knowledge of other's? Even outside the company? - Will I see emotional responses from my peers? Will that be for other reasons than being fired or bluntly criticized? - Will I find a friendly environment that will nurture my appetite for life? - What is the amount of emotional interaction (celebrating, sharing, playing) to expect from a company whose service is the best to "entertain"? - Do androids dream of electric sheep?

791 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Netflix team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Still a great company, but losing it's magic

Nov 20, 2022 - Product Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Netflix is unlike any other company I've worked at. There's a level of trust that you don't see at other companies, and the people you work with all tend to be senior-level and very capable. Because of that, there hasn't been a hierarchy among IC's; everyone leads projects and functions as a trusting peer with everyone else. It's also always been a pretty lean company with process where it's needed but not the influence of politics and bureaucracy. But both of those are slowly changing, and I fear it will soon become like every other tech company. Another pro is that the compensation is 100% salary (no bonuses or forced RSU's), and thankfully that's not changing.

Cons

Inconsistency in management across the company, the addition of levels among ICs could hinder collaboration as not everyone will be equals and a hierarchy will be created, the possible introduction of a location-based salary adjustment is unjustified (output stays the same, the company saves money with so many working remotely). Internal communication has been horrible lately, which is sad and frustrating for a company that prides itself on being open and transparent.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Animation Started off Strong in 2020, but 2022 is Looking Uncertain...

Nov 2, 2022 - Art Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- High pay (though this seems to be falling off) - Free food (only if you're in office, though) - Freedom to work from home (somewhat dependent on project, though) - Strong artist management team - Actual opportunity for career growth (not just empty promises)

Cons

- Used to have lots of projects, but have cancelled/slowed many of them - Used to have feature and TV under the same company, which made moving between the two easy, but feature has since become its own separate entity in 2022 - Executive level seems like a revolving door in 2022 which creates a lot of uncertainty at the employee level

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Current Employee

There's promise - but company is steering more towards process over people

Oct 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- You really work with incredibly smart people. I have felt challenged everyday - Mental health and Carrot benefits are great - "Top of personal market" pay - Trust for expense, travel, and time

Cons

- I don't feel like my director levels and above truly care about the people. The company has started shifting towards "process over people" and it shows. It doesn't seem like we care about the people of the company anymore. - I understand the needs of a business, but for a company who preaches "top of market" and then start backing up their reasoning for no comp increases is because we are above the range seems like an excuse - Benefits are great, but definitely feel like benefits to help with education reimbursement, high health premiums for families, or even pet insurance is lacking - Career growth and opportunity for growth is almost non-existent

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pay well, but it's shady

Oct 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay (top in the market) Unlimited time off (when you can) Free food Freedom to use several tools and systems (when you have alignment) Authonomy - you won't have your manager micromanaging you

Cons

You work A LOT Not inclusive for underrepresented groups. You barely take advantage of unlimited time off as you always have tons of work to do You need to navigate office politics, and it takes forever to proceed with projects unless you are part of the Managers are more interested in how well you will fit with the company culture instead of your deliverables. You might get a low compensation compared to other privileged colleagues with the same role. Leadership doesn't communicate business changes. We heard about layoffs from the media instead of corporate comms, which created a huge amount of stress across the board.

5 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

Development

Nov 21, 2022 - Software Engineering Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home great satisfaction

Cons

Work from home, good salary.

9. 5.0

Spectacular company

Nov 15, 2022 - Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with the smartest people in the industry is the best thing.

Cons

No complaints really, other than lack of structure. But it is not Amazon after all, so this is expected.

10. 5.0

Had a great experience

Nov 17, 2022 - Software Engineer (Swe II) in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

great salary smart coworkers Lot of interesting technical challenges

Cons

questionable direction for the long term

11. 5.0

Love it

Nov 12, 2022 - Engineering Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great culture, great product.

Cons

It's now a competitive landscape in streaming, we're not the only game in town anymore. Not exactly a con, but it's something to understand.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,666 Reviews
</>Embed

Netflix Reviews FAQs

Netflix has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 2,195 reviews left anonymously by employees. 86% of employees would recommend working at Netflix to a friend and 71% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Netflix employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Netflix. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

86% of Netflix employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Netflix 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Netflix to be coworkers, benefits, culture and the cons to be work life balance, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Netflix Job Seekers