Netflix Vice President Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 18, 2012

4.9
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings
  1. "Bright people who are fun to work with in very high-performance culture"

Former Employee - Vice President in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Walk the walk consistent with the well-articulated culture. Very focused. Clear, well-articulated strategy with very good execution against it. Very transparent, both internally and externally.

Cons

A bit of a culture of fear articulated as "the sniper in the building" as some new hires and long-time employees are either bad fit or fail to grow, and are subsequently let go. Culture emphasizes experimentation, which includes needed organizational experiments, and this type of experimentation also reinforces the fear. Again, most of this well-articulated in culture deck, so no surprise.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring and growing stars across all areas of the company.

Netflix2012-10-18
  2. "The most satisfying place to be a rockstar contributor in Silicon Valley. Not a place for anyone else."

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Every role at the company is a chance to directly effect the success of the business. The sense of ownership is big, the challenges are big, and the work is very engaging. In my experience Netflix has an outstanding team of rockstars, a very motivating group to get to be a part of and work with. The culture puts high demands on everyone, and imparts great freedom and ownership in return. Very data driven, customer focused, innovation oriented.

Cons

The company is very focused, and so brand new areas and opportunities come rarely. There are not a lot of "arms and legs" positions, so most roles have both a hands-on and a strategic component to the work. I wouldn't agree with a review that says long hours are expected, but I do think amazing productivity and results are expected. I view this as more good than bad, but it can feel tough to measure up at times. Promotion opportunities are rare but they do happen. Most growth at the company comes as growth in ownership, rather than in title.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Netflix2009-04-02

"I work for a company that changed the way Americans rent movies."

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Netflix is populated by really smart people working on hard problems. The company is on innovation time all the time. It's a very open culture with no questions asked if you work from home or take days off. People love Netflix and that makes it cool to work here. The company is adding subscribers and growing financially, which you gotta love in this economy. Employees get a free eight-out plan and get $1,000 towards travel expenses to the Sundance or LA Film Festival. You structure your salary as you want, dedicating a percentage or none at all to stock options. You get all your salary up front so there's no bonuses or incentive payments during the year.

Cons

You don't get a lot of compliments on a job well done because everyone is supposed to work at A+ level. The salary review is not tied to the performance review. Performance review allows anyone in the company to evaluate anyone and many people do it anonymously, which can be vindictive. The stock rises and falls like a yo-yo. Everyone is supposed to work in cubes but some people have had offices built for themselves or taken over a conference room for an office. There is two distinctive cultures at Netflix. One's in Los Gatos and the other's in LA. The only time people come together is at quarterly directors meetings.

Advice to Management

Keep up the quarterly meetings and company meetings but open up more at company meetings. More presenters instead of just Reed, the CFO and PR VP.

Netflix2009-01-02
  4. "Great company"

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Innovation, intelligent people, incredible brand, incredible business model

Cons

Don't think about working for Netflix if a high risk/reward model is not for you

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing

Netflix2008-11-17
  5. "Great place to work for risk-taking high performers."

Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

You are surrounded by very bright people focused on creating a great product for our subscribers and a great environment for employees. It's exciting to be on the cutting-edge of media and technology. The company offers a lot of freedom, and the responsibility that comes with it. Employees are treated like the adults they are.

Cons

If you like stability, this may not be the place for you. We have a high performance culture and in addition may change directions suddenly (for the good of the whole business), impacting people and projects in which heavy investment may have been made. The company does not manage your career; you manage your career. Depending on the department, there can be limited opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Reed and his team have built a great company and a wonderful environment in which to work. Be careful not to apply general concepts across an increasingly diverse employee population.

Netflix2008-11-17
  6. "Netflix is-a company that truly encourages innovative thinking and risk taking."

Vice President in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

The Cluture is the best at any company that I have worked, both big and small.

Cons

It has very high turn-over.

Advice to Management

None - best run company I have ever been exposed to.

Found 6 reviews